closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solar panels

Master

Solar panels

I'm considering installing some solar panels, and have been trawling around the web for information, without much 'first-hand' information available.

Any members have solar panels installed?

It's a roof installation that I'm considering, we own the house so no issues with mortgages etc, and it's a single house.

Any experience of return on investment, reliability in UK weather etc much appreciated.

Lots of info here
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/uti...e-solar-panels

Over 20yr payback period? I'd give it a miss
    Last edited by Brighty; 28th March 2017 at 11:54.

We had them fitted in june 2014, in terms of payments we've had about £2.5k and looking at the electric statements we've probably save around 5-10%. I know the tariffs went down just after we installed them, but we've been very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    We had them fitted in june 2014, in terms of payments we've had about £2.5k and looking at the electric statements we've probably save around 5-10%. I know the tariffs went down just after we installed them, but we've been very happy.
    Yeah tariffs are 4p now, down from 12p, so your £2.5k would be £800 now, don't think the sums add up nowadays

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Lots of info here
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/uti...e-solar-panels

Over 20yr payback period? I'd give it a miss
    Had a good read of that, thanks. Looks like I've missed the boat.

They are bloody ugly too!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    We've had them for a couple of years now. In absolute terms the 'payment' we get for FIT and Generation come to a few hundred pounds a year and the savings we make on our bills are variable.
    When we had the electric car and were charging every day it saved us a ton - effectively running the car for free as our electricity bill actually went down over the course of time. Now we no longer have the leaf we are in the 'hysteresis' period for bills and hope to see a big drop once the meter readings start dragging the average lower.

Is it worth it? Would I buy them again? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Yeah tariffs are 4p now, down from 12p, so your £2.5k would be £800 now, don't think the sums add up nowadays
    Blimey, didn't realise how far it had fallen. I think we are another couple of years away from break even (iirc we paid under 4.5k as we did it the same time as the loft conversion/roof raise).

I wouldn't bother now, although I see a lot of new builds in my area seem to have them built in so I assumed there was still some financial benefit.

We have sacked the idea off for our new extension.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    Blimey, didn't realise how far it had fallen. I think we are another couple of years away from break even (iirc we paid under 4.5k as we did it the same time as the loft conversion/roof raise).

I wouldn't bother now, although I see a lot of new builds in my area seem to have them built in so I assumed there was still some financial benefit.
    The solar panels have more than likely been installed because it is a planning requirement under the Local Authority sustainability policy rather than the financial benefit it brings to the household.

I agree with the majority that solar panels are no longer a good investment, even if you could take advantage of occupying the property and using a high volume of energy when the solar panels are at peak production.

At some point I'll be building a complete off grid house using solar/battery set up in Oz. I'm not sure the UK gets enough sunshine to be a total solution, and the current rebates/tariff don't make it so attractive as it once was.
    It's just a matter of time...

Back in 2011 when feed-in tariffs were 40p per unit, I could get a 4kw array on the roof (of the school) for £20,000

Had panels fitted Oct 2016 with the tariffs at 12p per unit however, now in the same space will fit a 12 kw array and cost £10,000

Since 2011 I'm spending my £££s SIX TIMES more efficiently, and getting 1/4 to 1/3 of the tariff reward, so much more cost effective today.

In 2011 I estimated pay back in 8-10 years. Now I estimate pay back in 6-8 years.

Who knows where the product will go in the future but electric will surely only go up.

What I didn't know and which makes a considerable difference, is that you get paid for a unit of energy your solar panels produce whether you use it or not, so if you can generate and use you get a double benefit, if that makes sense.

Master
    We had our 4kw array installed in 2011 (9k if I recall) just in time to avoid the Government retreat from the full FIT which was 45p then. It's updated with inflation so is worth more with each passing year. The output actually exceeds the estimate we were given so we are very happy with the return. You can use all you generate and will still be paid full tariff for 50%, then the reduced rate for the other 50% they think you are actually using.
    Although the cost of an installation would probably be nearer half the above, the low FIT doesn't make sense now.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    forget it, the ship sailed ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    forget it, the ship sailed ages ago.
    To some extent you're right in that the generous Feed-in Tariffs of the day were meant to kick start the industry and early-adopters, who take more risk at a higher cost. I do think it has played out well for them (quite rightly) but I also think it is still well worth contemplating as long as you have a south-facing roof.

I've always thought the FIT should depend on which direction you are facing, rather than fixed. This way you could encourage more east/west facing roofs into the scheme so the peak isn't quite so exaggerated across noon.

I'm sure domestic batteries will be the way forward for the future.

Interesting to see if the inventor of the internal combustion engine ever imagined anything like the Bugatti Chiron?

Master
    My parents had panels installed about 5 years ago, but they do not produce electricity, rather hot water (a whole tank of 75C water goes a long way). Didn't cost too much, and while I don't know the details, a lot of deliberation went into it and they are very confident that they'll pay for themselves within the next 5 years given the amount of hot water they're accustomed to paying for.

I had a system installed back in 2010 and currently get about 49.7p/KW.

Annual revenues are about 1500/year. Electricity expenditure about £600/year

So free Electricity plus £900 cash (indexed link) until 2035.

Original outlay £16,000 so personally well pleased. Now considering a Telsa Powerwall, to store more of the stuff I generate, but its 4.5k

Plus I am offsetting some of my carbon foot print.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Batteries are the game changer for the future! And they're hitting the mainstream very soon!

In terms of payback you're looking at 10 yrs for PV only but as elec prices rise - your return gets much better

You won't get a return from a bank anywhere near what you'll get from PV

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavgolf View Post
    Batteries are the game changer for the future! And they're hitting the mainstream very soon!

In terms of payback you're looking at 10 yrs for PV only but as elec prices rise - your return gets much better

You won't get a return from a bank anywhere near what you'll get from PV
    That's what I'm thinking.

Plus I've a GSHP which has a great RHI but does consume more electricity so that will hopefully help with that. Most of the people I know with PV are pretty happy with it. Although the feed in tariff is really poor now but a decent system is only around £7k

Hmm....