closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Submariner...date or non date?

Craftsman
    If you don't like the cyclops just remove it 👍
    That is what I did

I was looking at Subs today in a shop window (used as of course the AD didn't have any new ones!) and I prefer the Date version.

For me (as a non owner) the cyclops is part of the attraction of my 1st Rolex. I suspect you have to have a cyclops first before appreciating it's absence.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    If you don't like the cyclops just remove it 
    That is what I did
    Yup, definitely the way to go

Craftsman

Submariner...date or non date?

Get both! But get the ND first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a very complex issue.Date.No date.

OP do you want a date on your watch or not.Theres your answer.

And your very welcome.

I like the symmetry of the no date myself, but I find a date function very useful day to day, always forget what it is even after looking at the date a few times that day ^_^. For a weekday work watch I would always go for a date, casual weekend watch no date.

Journeyman
    I bought the no date version precisely because of the dial symmetry.

It has to be a no date, nice and simple and no cyclops!

Ross

Blog Entries
    For me. No date, started with a NDc, had a play with a Subc but sold it and bought another NDc, just couldn't get on with the cyclops, in my eye it ruins the look of the watch.

- - - Updated - - -

For me. No date, started with a NDc, had a play with a Subc but sold it and bought another NDc, just couldn't get on with the cyclops, in my eye it ruins the look of the watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had both - preferred and kept no date. No date appears to be favoured by quite a margin here by the looks of it!

I'd been loving the simplicity of a no-date Black Bay so when it came to my first Rolex I decided I want to be all purist and WISsy and go for a ND Sub (14060). After an initial honeymoon it became a bit boring. No idea why.

All subsequent Rolex have had dates and cyclops which I've grown to love, mainly because I've just hit the age where I need reading glasses and the cyclops allows me to see the date without moving my wrist as far away from my face as i can get it :-) I hardly ever wear the sub now :-(

So nowadays I'd go for a Sub Date.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    It has to be a no date, nice and simple and no cyclops!

Ross
    Yes, to me - it is a more pleasing design (the old frame model).

But to the OP - not sure what value he will get from 20 people's opinion?

Buy the one you like.

Al

The Subc ND is a amazing watch and in my opinion is far nicer than the date version. Having recently acquired a Sub ND 2 liner I am amazing at what a difference there is between the two ND models though.
    It my opinion the old model wins hands down, it wears so nice on the wrist being slimmer and is more understated, even the bracelet wears better being lighter.
    The only thing I miss slightly is the clasp on the new model, although there is absolutely nothing wrong with the older style clasp.
    If it were my money I would be looking for the best 14060 within your price range, if you do not get along with it you will always be able to change to the newer model.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 29th March 2017 at 08:14.

...and the 14060 2-liner is somewhat a bargain at the moment being possibly the cheapest Sub available on the market today.

Craftsman
    Thank you for all your thoughts, some lovely watches here.

I'll take myself down to a watchfinder later today to try some on, in the meantime I've put myself on a couple of waiting lists for both models.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    ...and the 14060 2-liner is somewhat a bargain at the moment being possibly the cheapest Sub available on the market today.
    And in my opinion the best looking with such a simple uncluttered dial, with expection to some of the vintage stuff.

100 people; 100 thoughts. I own a 16610 very pleased with the date window and the cyclop. As I'm already 52 I'm beginning to source difficulties in reading the date on my other watches. A date is one of the features I use now and then. No problem with the 16610 though.; In my opinion the cyclop is part of rolex history and they became famous in times that that was one of the possibilities to spot a fake.

Craftsman
    ND for me. Can't see the date anyway, but not that old that I can't remember what the date is.

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 22nd May 2019 at 09:26.

Craftsman
    I went and tried on a couple of watches at Watchfinder earlier, purely because they had some pre-owned examples on display.

Annoyingly I think I prefer the date version, the Mrs won't be pleased!

Tried on some of the older versions too, can't believe how much lighter the strap was.

Yep always best to try them on. Was it a Sub with the Ceramic bezel you tried or the pre-ceramic?

From personal experience I go through phases of not liking the cyclops but I like having a date on my everyday watch so its a dat for me.

I definitely prefer ( and own ) a ND. The Dial and crystal looks a lot cleaner to me.

Craftsman
    I'd always preferred the date version until I put one on my wrist. Now I'm possibly as unsure as the OP.

Having said that, I have one dateless watch and whenever I wear it, I do miss the date function.

Personally I prefer the symmetry of the ND, one of my favorite keepers! Both are great though.

Craftsman
    I love a date on a watch.

Cyclops no problem for me.

ND is simple and symmetrical. Great design. Thats the problem imho. I like variety.

Only have one watch with no date. And it annoys me

Craftsman
    ps - been inspired by this discussion to go and put my Submariner Date on

Master
    Date for me. It is my must have complication. Having said that I do have watches without date - Kemmner tourbillon and a PRS 25.
    Cyclops does bother me sometimes, I suppose it is part of the Rolex charm!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    ps - been inspired by this discussion to go and put my Submariner Date on
    Thanks for reminding me. Haven't worn it for weeks. Corrected now - on a Monkeyswag NATO! Woh, last worn before 10/03/17.

Master
    Can't read the date without Cyclops....53-year old eyes, so my SD is useless for that. ND has a lovely balanced face. Do I miss it? Occasionally.....but my 14060 is the weekday watch of choice. Date is on phone or computer if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have a 16610, so date version for me as well

I've had both. Some seem to conflate the brand with the cyclops, and like that it makes it obvious they're wearing a Rolex. Personally I think the Sub is much better without the cyclops so I sold the date on in quick succession.

Craftsman
    I guess if I changed my mind they're pretty easy to flip...

Tried on a deepsea earlier, such a massive watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    Date for me, no cyclops loses that special Sub something to me.

+1

Craftsman
    After seeing photos on the incoming board, I feel like putting myself on the long waiting list for a BLNR instead. Oh decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    After seeing photos on the incoming board, I feel like putting myself on the long waiting list for a BLNR instead. Oh decisions.
    BLNR is a fantastic watch. Really is a joy to own if you're able to get one.

When turning off my alarm in the morning I check the date, remember it for the day hence not needing a watch with a date.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    BLNR is a fantastic watch. Really is a joy to own if you're able to get one.
    Don't do that to me! Such a lovely looking watch. Local AD said probably looking at about 12 months wait, that's all part of the fun I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Don't do that to me! Such a lovely looking watch. Local AD said probably looking at about 12 months wait, that's all part of the fun I guess.
    According to a lot of experiences on here your phone will ring will before 12 months if you do put your name down. Realistically there is no bad watch so whatever you get you will enjoy :)

Journeyman
    I have the no date and as many have said, the symmetry is fantastic. It feels the most 'pure'. That's my opinion of course.

Craftsman
    While I personally prefer the ND, it is safe to say that they both have their own charm.
    I am always surprised how much different are the watches in person. I
    f you like the date better, go for it! It's you who has to be satisfied :-)

Craftsman
    Nd if weekend watch or date if daily I ve found

Master
    [QUOTE=mrsammyp;4297124]I'm sure this question has been asked plenty of times before and sorry if I've missed an existing thread...

Looking to purchase a new Rolex Sub but unsure of whether to get the date or non date version.

Thoughts and pictures welcome?[/QUOTE

Subs generally look cleaner and more classy without a cyclops. Some people prefer the cyclops because it is part of the Rolex tradition, so it's a never ending discussion.

My view is dead simple - if your brain is capable of remembering the date, then go for a non date. If your memory is so bad that you keep forgetting the date, your best bet is to buy a date version and also, I would suggest, book an appointment with your GP.

Date for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andykllhr View Post
    No date for me, dial symmetry and simplicity

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    No date, could someone pls tell me the model number of this watch (with no date and only two lines of text) is this model still available new?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    No date, could someone pls tell me the model number of this watch (with no date and only two lines of text) is this model still available new?
    This particular one is a 14060, but this model was changed to the 14060M (with minor movement upgrades) in around 2000/2001, the 14060M was discontinued in 2012 and replaced with the 114060. Good examples can be found all over preowned, however a NOS (New Old Stock) may be available somewhere but expect to pay top dollar. Hope this helps

Last edited by andykllhr; 30th March 2017 at 19:45.

Banned
    This particular one is a 14060, but this model was changed to the 14060M (with minor movement upgrades) in around 2000/2001, the 14060M was discontinued in 2012 and replaced with the 114060. Good examples can be found all over preowned, however a NOS (New Old Stock) may be available somewhere but expect to pay top dollar. Hope this helps

Thank you, I will open a new thread about more info on this.

Master

Date!!

I have tried both on numerous occasions but I actually use the date function on a watch and when you then put the "dreaded" cyclops into the equation it makes it a lot easier to read!! Plus for me Rolex are the cyclops and the magnification of that cyclops, that's what made them different to every other diver out there!!!

Each to their own though as I like the fact that everyone seems to be addicted to the ND, which leaves more date versions for me!!!!!!

Chris

Another one in the ND camp. Prefer the older case models as well. Fav would be the Chronometer dial.

No date for me, dial symmetry and simplicity

+1

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk