closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your ceiling price?

The most I've spent was £3k but it also comes down to the number of watches one has. Even if I am prepared to spend £10k, someone else might spent £25k on 4-5 watches with a ceiling of £6-7k

Master
    £10k for an everyday kinda piece but £10k as in a £15k watch bought at £10k kinda ceiling and not £10k retail. I own watches that are £30k however but i would only spend that much if i k ew 100% that i will get 100%+ of it back if i had to liquidate, ie 5711, 5990 etx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    If my wife found out what my ceiling price was she would hit the roof.
    At which point your ceiling might be damaged!

Master
    Despite being a relative pauper, I just do not see the point in a self-imposed ceiling. Historically, I have saved madly for the few nice things I have rather than settle for something less expensive that I do not REALLY want.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I was happy to buy an AP ROO Diver, sadly gone now. But, I've changed. As manufacturers of fashion watches raise their prices ever higher to chase the coin, I find that I am in loss-management mode. Once I would have bought a TAG or Breitling, and I've had many Omegas (I've even had a Gucci as a present), but now I deffo have an eye towards devaluation and resale prices. The problem is that drives me towards Rolex, and away from the ones that I'd llike to chase like JLC and Zenith etc.

Master
    Around 3k seems the most I feel comfortable paying for a Watch, but that's taking into account I'm a low earner so it's all relative I suppose, having said that I bet there are some wealthy people out there that wouldn't spend over a grand lol

Interesting thread though Chris!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Despite being a relative pauper, I just do not see the point in a self-imposed ceiling. Historically, I have saved madly for the few nice things I have rather than settle for something less expensive that I do not REALLY want.
    A lot of sense in that.

I guess most people's 'ceiling' is floating, depending on what they REALLY want

Certainly no point spend a BIT less on something you don't REALLY want, but I can spend £40 and get a watch I like much more easily than I can convince myself I really want an £8,000 watch...

I guess I count myself fortunate that I'm not that enamoured with brands that I feel any need to own a Rolex, JLC, Panerai or a PP (or similar) and I don't find any of their watches that appealing either, so I can happily bimble along at a lower price point, enjoying individual watches for the appeal they have to me.

I suspect one day, I'll weaken and buy a Zenith El Primero (used) and I'd like a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, but they are definitely above my 'ceiling'.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 28th March 2017 at 14:19.

I don't really have a ceiling price in mind, but I have a 40K 'pot' set aside that I have earmarked for a special 'exit'/retirement watch. My main problem is that nothing quite hits the spot enough. Laurent Ferrier is close, but his designs feel a bit too conservative for me. Other 'targets' tend to be well outside my range (so I guess I do have a ceiling after all!). Meanwhile, even though prices are sometimes said to be falling, it looks like the reverse to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    It's more a case of a ceiling on potential losses for me rather than on purchase price.

Funds permitting I wouldn't impose a limit on purchasing something if I could realistically expect to get my money back on it in the future, so a list price 5711 would be fine but I wouldn't spend a similar amount on a Cellini.
    That makes a lot of sense, but it's hard to say where today's £18k watches will be in ten years time, there are just too many factors. One decade can look very different to another and the most fashionable in one is often the last thing you'd want in another. Of course a 5711 or an AP15202 might be twice the price in 2027 but pretty much anything could happen. That hasn't stopped me from having a fair number of cheaper models obviously, which doesn't make a great deal more sense - perhaps there's the thought that you can gradually reduce one at a time if it feels right.

Around £2500 second hand which probably equates to £3500 list! At that level I can justify to myself a few second hand purchases, telling myself I'm getting a bargain.

Craftsman
    currently £5000 is the most iv ever spent, and that was a stretch!

Master
    I really want a Royal Oak but bulk at the cost, when I look at what I have spent in the last year on other watches I could have got one. Wanting more expensive watches doesn't stop those impulse moments.

Master
    I spent 5k on a Rolex GMT and felt uncomfortable at that so I guess that's my ceiling.My £250 Prs 20 gives me as much pleasure as anything

Reading this thread surprised me as I have spent more than most 'ceiling prices' on a single watch and I have always felt I am one of the poorest here :)

I think there is a difference to comfortably spending 5k (even several times) or a once in a lifetime purchase

Craftsman
    I am giving up to 2.4K, specifically for a Rolex16233 , I know it sounds unlikely but this is my ceiling and it is the maximum I could give to make sure that my wife won't realize it.

At the moment £10k would be my limit, I'm after a new watch and so far that is the highest I am considering.

Craftsman
    My ceiling price is whatever I can "justify" to my better half. I have been successful on significant birthdays!
    PAM90 £5k for my 50th, Rolex Deepsea for my 55th (iconic £6.3k)
    I am now planting the would really, really like a Rolex Skydweller £10.6k for my 60th!
    Judging by the so called AD lists , I was trying to persuade her I need to be on now with the hope one will be available in 3 years !
    Meanwhile I will be satisfied with the purchase of the new Autavia for my next!