closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What next for Rolex?

Master
    Blog Entries

What next for Rolex?

It seems like they can do no wrong. I get the feeling they could release anything and people would go mad for them these days.

I mean they took a mix of two of their worst selling sports watches (seadweller & deepsea) and make a mix of the two. Add a feature which is probably the most contentious in Rolex sports models in the cyclops and stick it on it and people are queuing up to buy the thing. Not only are the queuing to buy this new model, they have cleared stock of a relatively unpopular model by simply discontinuing it.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the new SDR but I do get the feeling that it's almost seen as AD are doing you a favour letting you potentially buy one of these for £8,350.

It did get me thinking. Imagine if they did release a model that everyone wanted. A Coke GMT for example. It would be trading at over £10,000 I would imagine.

So what do people think is next for Rolex? I worry that they could bring out anything and people will throw money at it. Personally I would like to see a Sub without fat lugs but I imagine this would be quite popular.

This might seem like a rant but I am interested in people thoughts. I would imagine the Coke GMT would be the most popular choice but are people put off by the fact that it will be probably unattainable to the majority?

Pepsi GMT in SS.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    It's unattainable now since it's only available in white gold. We are already saying the Dweller @10k is 'reasonable'

Master
    47mm Sub.

But with "blue" writing.

Craftsman
    I really like the new sea dweller-the cyclops doesnt bother me either way, I think its more understated without being honest. The prices for rolex seem to be going up all the time and the ceramic daytonas are a joke being double RRP. It does seem like the BLNR and the deepsea J C are getting back to RRP values now,I may be wrong but its about time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    It seems like they can do no wrong. I get the feeling they could release anything and people would go mad for them these days.

I mean they took a mix of two of their worst selling sports watches (seadweller & deepsea) and make a mix of the two. Add a feature which is probably the most contentious in Rolex sports models in the cyclops and stick it on it and people are queuing up to buy the thing. Not only are the queuing to buy this new model, they have cleared stock of a relatively unpopular model by simply discontinuing it.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the new SDR but I do get the feeling that it's almost seen as AD are doing you a favour letting you potentially buy one of these for £8,350.

It did get me thinking. Imagine if they did release a model that everyone wanted. A Coke GMT for example. It would be trading at over £10,000 I would imagine.

So what do people think is next for Rolex? I worry that they could bring out anything and people will throw money at it. Personally I would like to see a Sub without fat lugs but I imagine this would be quite popular.

This might seem like a rant but I am interested in people thoughts. I would imagine the Coke GMT would be the most popular choice but are people put off by the fact that it will be probably unattainable to the majority?
    something bronze, in about 2-3 years...

Master
    A Sub without stupid lugs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    But at 42mm for those who don't have girly wrists...

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is my choice but wonder what kind of premium having a proportionally correct sub would come with.

It's true the cyclops on that thing is hideous, way worse than on a Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Pepsi GMT in SS.
    I'd go for that.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I think this is on the cards - new Sub with the new movement, and case with similar changes as seen from the DJII to the DJ41 would make sense and be part of the evolution - as they tend to use similar styles across ranges.
    It's just a matter of time...

Outside of the watch collecting world I still don't see it being a big seller. For most people it's a bigger Submariner, when Omega did the PO in 42 and 45mm they sold in approx equal amounts, but priced the same.

I'd like to see more variation on the Subs, with a DJ you've got various dials, bezels and a choice of bracelet. Tudor have strap and dial options on the Black Bay and Pelagos so I think it's about time for a Sub in more than black or green.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    But at 42mm for those who don't have girly wrists...
    If Rolex divers are a
    42mm Sub,
    43mm and thick SD, and a
    44mm and stupid thick Deep Sea...

That would be pretty bad. They would have less tasteful and wearable options than Omega!

I think the updated Sub stays 40mm and gets a mid case that looks a lot more like the now discontinued SD.

The fat case was supposed to placate size queens and traditionalists and it really didn't do either very well. Now that the size queens have their cyclops dweller, the sub can go back to being a normal (not square) watch.

Says who?

They've been dead to me since they started dicking about with daft sizes and ceramic bezels.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    It's unattainable now since it's only available in white gold. We are already saying the Dweller @10k is 'reasonable'
    Yes I called into my local AD this morning to collect a 16710 that I had serviced and the sales guy told me that they had 3 SS SeaDwellers on order.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Says who?

They've been dead to me since they started dicking about with daft sizes and ceramic bezels.
    Same here TBH.

Most (if not all Rolex Ad's) are FOS)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Outside of the watch collecting world I still don't see it being a big seller. For most people it's a bigger Submariner, when Omega did the PO in 42 and 45mm they sold in approx equal amounts, but priced the same.

I'd like to see more variation on the Subs, with a DJ you've got various dials, bezels and a choice of bracelet. Tudor have strap and dial options on the Black Bay and Pelagos so I think it's about time for a Sub in more than black or green.
    I think the thing about the Sub was that it was, well, the Sub, albeit date or no date. Already you have the LV as a mainstream model. When you start to vary sizes, dials, bezels, you are copying Omega. It's hard to be an icon with a range of styles.

I'd like to see the loss of the fat lugs, and a Pepsi or Coke GMT, but won't hold. My breath.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping to have a break from this 24 hour Rolex speculation/news cycle for a bit.
    Wishful thinking it seems.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I was hoping to have a break from this 24 hour Rolex speculation/news cycle for a bit.
    I did try and make the title as obvious as possible to those wanting to avoid Rolex talk.

Master
    Oyster Perpetual 39 date (as opposed to 41mm Datejust). Won't happen but historically something like that's been part of the range. And would do well I think.

Master
    I think we'll see more oysterflex options come through, the 3235 movement being implemented much more, the submariner having a refresh and perhaps the GMT as well. Perhaps there will be some new dial options for the Daytona, and a James Cameron-esque variant of the SD43/SD50th at some point.

The yacht-master will develop a ceramic bezel as well at some point I imagine in the steel models and darker dials for theYMii so the new hands don't just disappear as they do now.

They make great watches. I really enjoy my four

But this new sea dweller is really bad. Like it's older brother the SD4000 it looks unbalanced. The juxtaposition of the dial and crystal does not work.

I don't​ think people will go mad for it. Unless they're mad.

Craftsman
    I actually like the new Submariner case, especially the lugs. I never liked the old 16610, but the new ones are very nice.

For disclosure I have a 16600, which I think is the best model Rolex released in the last 30 years.

I think they will do something with the Explorer II model which is a very bad seller. Probably only the SD 4k was worse seller, but now that is discontinued, everybody thinks it is cool and soon will be worth DRSD money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    I actually like the new Submariner case, especially the lugs. I never liked the old 16610, but the new ones are very nice.

For disclosure I have a 16600, which I think is the best model Rolex released in the last 30 years.

I think they will do something with the Explorer II model which is a very bad seller. Probably only the SD 4k was worse seller, but now that is discontinued, everybody thinks it is cool and soon will be worth DRSD money.
    In what way are the 16610 lugs any different than the 16600 lugs which are on "the best model Rolex"?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Only 360 days until we find out what they have in store for us, let the countdown commence

A reduced lugs size Sub with the new movement. It will be here in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Says who?

Jesus H Christ, we finally agree on something, I never saw that coming.

Stop making the DSSD

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pepsi GMT in SS.
    This is the one if it ever happens.

Craftsman
    In what way are the 16610 lugs any different than the 16600 lugs which are on "the best model Rolex"?
    I agree it is not very rational. It is not the lugs that I don't like in the 16610, but maybe the fact that it was so ubiquitous. The SD16600 felt just better when I was deciding what to get 10 years ago.

Interestingly on the 6 digits prefer the square look of the Submariner. The SD4k felt too top heavy compared to the SubC and compared to the 16600.

Photo below of my two Rolex

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Stop making the DSSD
    It still amazes me how they turned a poor sales watch into must have but just changing the dial. Great way to get shut of the remaining cases.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Regarding the fat lugs. I think we will have new slightly larger sub and GMT cases on the way, theses will house updated movements with the extra power reserve. The lugs will be slimmer as per the SDR using the larger bracelet from the SDR, you probably won't get the glidelock on the GMT.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    It still amazes me how they turned a poor sales watch into must have but just changing the dial. Great way to get shut of the remaining cases.
    Just wait until they discontinue it! People will be throwing money at the ADs

As much as I'd like to see reduced case sizes on the Rolex Sports models, I don't imagine they are going to do anything other than get bigger in future. I had hoped the large watch trend was reversing but the new Clowndweller suggests otherwise.

Master
    I suspect they'll do a watch that looks exactly like everything else they do. But with a slight colour change on the hands or writing to make it more desirable. I think we need a watchtalk - Rolex only section on here.

All this talk of poor sellers - are they poor sellers compared to other Rolex SS models, or poor sellers compared to other manufacturers' offerings? I'm genuinely interested.

Craftsman
    Yes, please!

Next? - A new pop up store in T2. Been open 3 weeks and sales are soaring (according to the manager today). Not a sports model in sight either...

Personally, I'd like to see a SS Pepsi GMT.

'I get the feeling they could release anything and people would go mad for them these days. '

Yes - Rolex seem to have established a cast-iron reputation for value retention/quality/desirability. Sometime (but who knows when!) the bubble must burst. Still, you only live once (with apologies to re-born Napoleons), so one buys what one loves!

Personally I'd like to see the no-date sub in different colours.

Craftsman
    Although I can't see it happening I would love to see a 39mm submariner with old style lugs and everything else modern.

Unless this happens Ill always stick to 5 digit sports models.

Same here TBH.

Most (if not all Rolex Ad's) are FOS)
    I take exception to that!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Haywoods prediction!

Back to Arabic numerals on Datejusts - very few 36mm and above DJ's currently have Arabics

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Back to Arabic numerals on Datejusts - very few 36mm and above DJ's currently have Arabics
    Oh my, dare they?? What shocking ...euhmmm... retro-vation.

They could homage their Gerald Genta rip off Oysterquartz design for a “new“ heritage model.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 29th March 2017 at 01:34.

Maximum cases on everything. Red text on all new sports watches (and on Tudors for good measure) and cyclops on everything with a date.

Seriously though folks, Basel was a week ago now. Time to let it go?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Seriously though folks, Basel was a week ago now. Time to let it go?
    Oh come on.
    Rolex is the most important watch brand; a household name. Surely the news and speculations about what next can go on for a week??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Regarding the fat lugs. I think we will have new slightly larger sub and GMT cases on the way, theses will house updated movements with the extra power reserve. The lugs will be slimmer as per the SDR using the larger bracelet from the SDR, you probably won't get the glidelock on the GMT.
    They will not increase the Sub or GMT, look at the Daytona. They do not mess too much with the classics. Also, that is what the SD is for, it is the larger Sub.

The lugs will reduce and a new movement will come. It will be the perfect Sub.