closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Most popular watch bought without seeing first?

Most popular watch bought without seeing first?

There are plenty of watches out there where it's easy to visit an AD, try out a variety of styles and brands, and make a decision. But in the crazy WIS world, there are lots of watches not readily available to buy from a local dealer, and the chances of ever seeing one 'in the wild' let alone trying one on, are remote. So you take a punt with a few hundred (or thousand) quid and hope for the best. My nomination - which i happen to own - is the Sinn U1. But what other watches, even those that are pretty common on tz-uk, have you bought without ever laying eyes on outside the internet?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Well i've just dropped a non-refundable deposit on the Eterna Kontiki Bronze without seeing it. Now that you mention it, it is a bit bonkers!

For me was the MM300, until relatively recently could not be seen at an AD. I ended up being disappointed with it and swiftly moved it on actually...

Master
    Every single watch I've bought has been bought unseen. From Vostok to Hamilton to omega to Rolex. Nothing i hate more than visiting jeweler's or watch shops.

Master
    Blog Entries
    MM300 for sure.

Craftsman
    I read the title on Tapatalk and immediately thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

I struggle to remember the last watch that I bought after seeing it in the flesh and handling it etc. The majority are bought on the strength of photos and write ups etc - the curse of SC, waiting lists and watches bought from the US and the Far East, although I am going to stop that - been stung with import duties, VAT and handling charges too many times leading to an inevitable loss when flipping.

My Speedy Tuesday is being delivered to David M Robinson in Liverpool One, so I will see that, but again that is another done deal based on pictures and the hype on here that panicked me into clicking the yes button

Same here - nearly every one has been bought on the strength of internet photos etc

(I did see a Speedmaster the same as mine through a shop window 40 years ago but it took me until last year to buy one)

Rolex I have seen in the flesh, everything else based on internet information.

I bet most Seiko divers are never handled before purchase

Dave

Just about any watch from any microbrand.

I must admit the one that immediately came to mind was the mm300. I really fancy a better class of Seiko Diver but never seen or held one! - now I come to think of it, any watch that regularly appears on this list must mark the wearer instantly out as a WIS. Another probable culprit is the Casio gw5000, anything Damasko - anything reasonably easy to try on doesn't count - and much as I agree it isn't always possible to try on eg another limited edition speedy, if you try on a vanilla version and like it you're not taking that much of a gamble are you? - takes a large set of cojones to spend a few thousand pounds on something you may or may not like imho, is that part of the attraction i wonder?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    For me it was mm300, sbgm021, Prometheus Piranha, and Dagaz Typhoon. Now all flipped. And a vast variety of Seiko 5's etc.

Banned
    The 5712, I waited 2 years without seeing one in the flesh, when I finally arrived at the PP London that sunny Afternoon I was a little nervous, I spent some time looking at it through the box twisting and turning it, I remember thinking WTF have I done.

To say I was underwhelmed at first would be correct.

Master

All 3 bought web seen only

It's only the PAM I was unsure of (hence gone already, swapped for the other two), the other two are pretty common / popular units anyway, so even if I wasn't keen I wouldn't have lost on them if I were to sell on

Master

I bought this one off this forum having never handled or even seen an LW in real life. I just really liked it as it's different.

Journeyman
    Most popular, hmm, I bought various Swatch watches with mechanical automatic movements over the web.

In terms of most valuable, a Nomos Club Automat.

Almost all of my watches have been bought new or used face to face with dealers in Asia. Better to browse a huge range of watches, let pieces jump out of the glass cases and to get everything on the wrist to see if it really speaks to you. I think the only exceptions were a Black Bay (face to face at Iconic), a Sinn U1T (face to face at a dealer in Hamburg), a Sinn 556i and Tudor Ranger (eBay) and a brace of cheapy Chinese Seagulls from internet dealers on Chinese Taobao.

Master
    I've had it a week, and I could not be happier.

IMG_1073 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr