closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Two questions (Rolex content)

Two questions (Rolex content)

1st (not very serious) question: on a scale of Submariner to Rainbow Daytona, how much rubbish is spouted in the following article?

http://www.gq.com/story/male-engagement-ring-rolex

2nd question (that may provoke a more serious discussion): for those of you who are married did you get a watch from your partner and did you see it as a symbol of your engagement/marriage?
    For those who aren't married, if you were to get married would you like a watch to symbolise your partnership? And would you want it to be very different from the rest of your collection to symbolise that it's "special" in that sense?

Interesting talking points, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it's necessarily rubbish. Apart from the lack of displayed prices. Rolex is still seen as the aspirational watch brand for people who aren't slavishly into watches. Also true that to somebody who doesn't suffer the affliction, it's a lot of money for a watch. I think we tend to ignore that working on the liquid theory but to buy one to keep forever as most folk do.. different thought process imo.

I wouldn't want a watch to symbolise a relationship.

If my wife bought me an Air King instead of a Sub because some guy told her it was the 'more confident choice', I would cry. Simply fall to my knees and weep.

I never even thought about an engagement gift from my wife, didn't realise it was a done thing.
    I'm much happier with my wedding ring than I would be with any watch. A ring is timeless but my taste in watches is continually developing. I think that any watch that was bought for me fourteen years ago would now just be sat in the safe gathering dust.

Craftsman
    My wife bought me a watch as a wedding present, something she really wanted to do, as a watch is generally seen as the acceptable piece of 'man jewellery'.

Neither of us were flush with cash (honeymoons in the Maldives aren't cheap!) so a TAG Pro diver was what I chose and it's been my daily wearer for the last 17 years until recently when I got a PRS21 off SC (No. 146 and I haven't stopped wearing it since I got it 😀).

Certainly couldn't have afforded a Rolex, and to be honest I still don't see the appeal considering the cost (probably going to get slaughtered for saying that).

Have to say, I still love the TAG. It's been faultless, is nicely understated, comfortable and doesn't lose 5 seconds a day like the Voyager 🙂.

I still see it as a symbol of our marriage, even if that sounds daft, and I'd never sell it.

I have met other guys who were bought a watch as an engagement present and have always been jealous. A friend of mine managed to convince his wife that he should have some nice silver cufflinks instead of a ring - never really understood this as it's not like he'll be wearing double cuffs all the time...

When we got married my wife was adamant that we get platinum wedding rings, being 'proper' rings, precious metal for the occasion etc. I found these unbelievably overpriced; hers being feminine and thin looked like a small metal hoop and mine didn't feel particularly weighty and scratched immediately on the first day of wearing it while not retaining any polish. Apart from its expense, I couldn't see anything special about platinum. I did say that I would prefer a watch I could keep and a cheap ring which was harder and scratch resistant but this didn't go down well.

Five years later I am fiddling with my ring, fumble it and drop it down the back of the sofa. Despite up ending the sofa, shaking it and ripping open the backs of the cushions and peering inside with a torch - no ring. Searched thoroughly before the room was hoovered too.

Anyway off the back of the insurance claim, I got permission to buy a 'wedding watch' with the proceeds (details here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...lack-Bay-Black) and best of all, a £30 tungsten carbide ring, which is identical to the platinum one in shape and proportions except it retains its polish and can't be scratched.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My wife bought me this as an engagement gift.

I was my daily wearer for 18 years until I fell off the wagon and bought a Rolex, Smiths, CWC, Omega and Breitling in the last couple of years.

At the time I considered it superior to the Submariner as it has a thinner case.

I am wearing it today but it's in rotation now.

Blog Entries
    On the second question. Yes married but no 'wedding watch'. She suffers my addition and endures it as long as it does not affect household budgets.

M

I got a fish tank when I got engaged