closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best rewards type of credit cards?

Master

Best rewards type of credit cards?

I've got some spending coming up and as I don't have any reward type cards, I wonder what you all use? Seems silly to just pay cash when I can pay off a cc and get something in return.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I've got some spending coming up and as I don't have any reward type cards, I wonder what you all use? Seems silly to just pay cash when I can pay off a cc and get something in return.
    Best cash back credit card is Amex. 5% in the first 3 months up to a max cash back of £250.

Depending on the total spend you may want to take out two cards. One cash back, one air-miles etc.

Be sure to check the places you're using your card accept Amex if going for an Amex. They charge the merchants the most so are best placed to offer the biggest incentives.

Master
    I have a Virgin Atlantic card (it's two cards actually, you get an AMEX and a Visa) and I've been clocking up the miles on it. I have around 110k I think.

I don't think reward cards are as good as they once were, previously I had a Tesco card which allowed you to multiply up the points by 3x or 4x and spend them online.

I have a cupboard full of Denby cookware and kitchenware all for free. They cut the rewards offers way back, which prompted me to switch IIRC

Amex Gold charge card is pretty good as they do an introductory offer (spend 2000 in first 3 months and get bonus points) and the annual fee is waived for the first year. The points are worth cash at Amazon and others or can buy things from their catalogue. I have linked mine to Amazon account.

It seems to pay 0.5 % in almost cash on regular spending but flights pay double for some reason.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got 8500 reward points on a Lloyds credit card. Does anybody know what you can do with them?

Craftsman
    I've just ordered an AMEX Gold for this reason. 22k points if you spend £2k in the first month and are recommended by an existing card holder. 20k points if you apply on your own via their website.

Let me know if you want a recommendation via PM.

Remember, AMEX Gold is a charge card though so you must pay back the balance every month.

More info here - http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/10...d-uk-review-2/

The BA Amex is pretty good, build up the miles but when you get to 20k points you get a companion ticket as well

Master
    I have Amex cash back and I have just over £450 cash back amounted so far, with no limits on cash back. I use it for everything pretty much. I bought my Deep sea blue on it so got 91.50 back and paid it of this morning. I also have my mobile bill of £119 go on it every month. My BLNR got me 65 odd cash back, basically I use it for everything big and pay it off. Restaurants are brilliant as its 3% back, for nothing.

Lots of them out there MBNA (amazon) used to offer decent rewards usually cash back on Amazon now looks like they are offering the stuff ebay can't sell.

Natwest offer cash back in actual cash that just gets refunded back into your card

Sainsbury s or nectar offer cash back but either on eBay or Sainsbury

Tesco do the same but you can cash in on goldsmiths tokens and triple up (£5 equals £15)

Post office do a charge free transaction if you use it abroad

Lots more can't think of them at the moment.

Best rewards type of credit cards?

Not particularly awards... but have a look at the credit card from the POST OFFICEif you're going to use a card abroad. Seems to come out well in reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a John Lewis MasterCard, get John Lewis vouchers every now and again. Not sure what the rate is, but might be worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barclaycard do Amex / Visa at 1% / 0.5% cashback with no annual fee.

Master
    Depending on what you are likely to spend on a card I would recommend the BA Amex. It’s expensive but if you make sure you use it wherever you are able to do so the Avios points do mount up. I have had mine for about 15 years now and get a long haul trip business class for the family, four of us, every five years or so pulse a number of European flights in between.

Master
    Another here for the Virgin Atlantic Amex and Visa. I pay the annual fee of around £120 which gives me double air miles.
    Over the last 10 years I reckon I've flown Upper class 3 or 4 times and premium economy at least 15 to 20 times. I put lots of my business costs through as well which helps.

I'm flying Upper Class to Vegas in September for 100k miles and £450. 3 of my mates are flying Upper as well and have paid between £3,200 and £4,100 (booked different times).

If you fly to the locations they go (Vegas, Miami, NY, Orlando etc) a lot it's a no brainer.

Like all these card theres catches and bonuses, if you want more info please feel free to contact me.

Master
    Great responses as always, thanks. I've applied for the Tesco and Virgin cards as those will suit me best. They've come back with decent spend limits so they'll be good things to have in my wallet.

Take a look at themoneysavingexpert web site he always ranks the best cards depending what you are looking for, I always think Tesco credit cards wins vouchers every three months £5 equals £15 at their partners and there are loads..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Take a look at themoneysavingexpert web site he always ranks the best cards depending what you are looking for, I always think Tesco credit cards wins vouchers every three months £5 equals £15 at their partners and there are loads..
    Yeah I've gone for that. Looks really good and will replace the club card in my wallet so one less card to find room for.

Journeyman
    Another vote for the BA Amex.

I travel often, so booking flights with the BA card gives you additional avios.
    Spending 10k per year on it also gives me a companion ticket for the same flight - I have 4 saved up ready to use on some upcoming trips.

Also consider using the cashback sites quidco and topcashback for large purchases. I think they give you the money that would otherwise be paid to sites or advertisers that refer you to the vendor.

We use Santander 123 cc and bank account, as a whole package of cashback and interest on the bank account it sends OK.

Banned

Try cash you get a better discount unless it's Watches. I use a Santander 123 cash back + cash back on all my bills from the 123 account.

I always ask the price for cash after negotiation.

Credit cards cost companies in the region of 3% so you could do a deal that is better than any cashback card.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I use Amex and Curve - (http://www.imaginecurve.com/?r=AmcEn)

I'm not a big spender on cards but reckon if I'm going to spend anyway may aswell get something back for it...!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I always ask the price for cash after negotiation.

Credit cards cost companies in the region of 3% so you could do a deal that is better than any cashback card.
    For big purchases I agree, but Shell are pretty immovable on the price of a tank of petrol for my bike so both techniques have their place. I mostly use Amex Red as the points go to charity but agree if they are giving something away might as well have it.

I have had a cashback Amex for around 10 years, the number of store and restaurants accepting Amex has grown significantly in that time.

My top tip is to link your Amex to a Paypal account, and use Paypal whenever possible.

We have recently purchased a Neff oven and hob, plus Bosch fridge and freezer.
    Neither supplier would accept Amex, but both happily took Paypal.

So, we received our cash back, and the retailer picked up the PP fees, which must be similar to the Amex fees

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    I have had a cashback Amex for around 10 years, the number of store and restaurants accepting Amex has grown significantly in that time.

My top tip is to link your Amex to a Paypal account, and use Paypal whenever possible.

We have recently purchased a Neff oven and hob, plus Bosch fridge and freezer.
    Neither supplier would accept Amex, but both happily took Paypal.

So, we received our cash back, and the retailer picked up the PP fees, which must be similar to the Amex fees
    +1

Have found lots of site now accept Amex via Paypal (such as screwfix).