closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Our hobby - according to Daily Mash!

Craftsman

Our hobby - according to Daily Mash!

[Headline] Man’s luxury watch successfully impresses fellow tw@ts.

[Article] A MAN’S ludicrously expensive wristwatch has gained him the respect of other total bellends, he has revealed.

Sales manager Martin Bishop’s £1,400 Diplomat Edition Weisser Aqua-Tech 9 has made him more popular with tedious, materialistic men who also enjoy golf.

Bishop said: “It’s beautifully crafted in chunky, masculine steel with little dials that are hard to see without a magnifying glass but which do important things like telling you the month.

“A guy in the office saw it and straightaway he was telling me about his new BMW and how much his house is worth. I expect it’ll be my turn to talk about myself next time we get chatting.

“Just last week the managing director of Oswestry Guttering Supplies Ltd said ‘nice watch’ and talked to me for ages about immigration.

“It’s like joining a club where everyone respects you and you can say whatever you like, so long as it’s not about books.”

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by tom waring; 27th March 2017 at 08:05.

Well, they have a point I suppose, specially the golf..... 😉
    Last edited by Man of Kent; 27th March 2017 at 09:23.

Master
    Love the Mash ! Have you got a link that you can post ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Love the Mash ! Have you got a link that you can post ?
    Here you go mate;

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...20161024115895

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As with all of the best comedy, there's more than a grain of truth in it.

“Just last week the managing director of Oswestry Guttering Supplies Ltd said ‘nice watch’ and talked to me for ages about immigration."

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    As with all of the best comedy, there's more than a grain of truth in it.

“Just last week the managing director of Oswestry Guttering Supplies Ltd said ‘nice watch’ and talked to me for ages about immigration."
    Exactly! Made me laugh a lot. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    .... ludicrously expensive wristwatch .... £1,400 ....
    Sounds like he got a good discount, though?

This is an outrage and I'm totally furious now.
    I'm not ready to stand before a mirror until at least Midday.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    This is an outrage and I'm totally furious now.
    I'm not ready to stand before a mirror until at least Midday.
    🤣

Master
    Very funny!

Ouch.

Master
    But i hate golf.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh man, I enjoyed that.
    Am at the Costa del Sol in the villa of a lover, enjoying the view of the sun over the sea on the south side terrace with a true espresso while she is taking a shower.
    That is the watch hobby too albeit less popular among what HE dubs 'golf playing bell ends'

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Oh man, I enjoyed that.
    Am at the Costa del Sol in the villa of a lover, enjoying the view of the sun over the sea on the south side terrace with a true espresso while she is taking a shower.
    That is the watch hobby too albeit less popular among what HE dubs 'golf playing bell ends'
    But what watch are you wearing?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, I'm not sure £1400 would get you taken very seriously here.

Master

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Enjoyed this article, as mentioned there's truth in the best comedy!

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Am at the Costa del Sol in the villa of a lover, ...while she is taking a shower.

Master
    Spot on!!! Works for me too

Love the Daily Mash !

This one from the tube strike is one of my favourites http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...20170109119840

LONDONERS are considering whether living in a nightmarish urban dystopia is worth it just to enjoy food crazes two months early.

Ludicrously expensive? £1,400?? Can you actually get a watch for less than that??? Chap's clearly not a member of my club.

Fore!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Ludicrously expensive? £1,400?? Can you actually get a watch for less than that??? Chap's clearly not a member of my club.

Fore!

R
    Is it wrong that I thought everything was spot on in the piece but the price? Not like it's hard to research either!

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Is it wrong that I thought everything was spot on in the piece but the price? Not like it's hard to research either!
    I think most people who don't buy expensive watches have any idea what they really actually cost. I know I didn't and none of my friends or family had any idea. I thought a expensive watch might cost about £1k and spending over a couple hundred quid at first seemed stupid money for a redundant item these days.

Most of my friends, when finding out a rolex sub starts around £6k(I don't mention that Rolex is considered mid range too ), normally mention something along the lines of only a idiot/retard/morally repugnant individual would spend that kind of money on a watch.

Saying that a little bit of research would have shown that £1400 barely gets you on the luxury watch ladder and really a watch in that price would only normally be of interest to a WIS, and wouldn't impress your wanker boss who probably only thinks Rolex is the watch to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I think most people who don't buy expensive watches have any idea what they really actually cost. I know I didn't and none of my friends or family had any idea. I thought a expensive watch might cost about £1k and spending over a couple hundred quid at first seemed stupid money for a redundant item these days.

Most of my friends, when finding out a rolex sub starts around £6k(I don't mention that Rolex is considered mid range too ), normally mention something along the lines of only a idiot/retard/morally repugnant individual would spend that kind of money on a watch.

Saying that a little bit of research would have shown that £1400 barely gets you on the luxury watch ladder and really a watch in that price would only normally be of interest to a WIS, and wouldn't impress your wanker boss who probably only thinks Rolex is the watch to wear.
    It's a fair point.

I now know that people will happily spend £25K plus on a stainless steel watch, but if you'd told me that 5 years ago I'd have thought you insane.

I still they think THEY are insane, but it's their money

M.

Spot on! Coming to a Fairway near you soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Perhaps the writers don't realise that buying a TAG actually has a negative value as a status symbol? Maybe after we've all written to Rolex suggesting that the oyster be optional on the new Sea Dweller, we could write to the Daily Mash, asking them to edit their piece to reflect the market accurately?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Ludicrously expensive? £1,400?? Can you actually get a watch for less than that??? [COLOR=#333333]Chap's clearly not a member of my club.
    You should have realised that they are taking the piss out of those jumped up middle class oiks with money but no taste - whom we used to call nouveau-riche... Anyway, I thought you posh types never actually bought watches but passed them down from father to son like the Patek-Phillippe ad???

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post

Exactly.

Last Saturday I met for the first time, the parents of my eldest lad's long term girlfriend (the people that could become In-Laws). We had lunch then, whilst walking to the car park, went past a jewelers selling Citizen Watches.
    My son's prospective Father-In-Law, knowing the jewelers said "they do expensive watches here"
    I replied "well Citizen are usually quite affordable"
    He then said "Yes, I guess so. I looked in the Rolex shop in Chichester the other day - just couldn't believe the prices"
    I said "Yes" and left it at that.
    I wasn't wearing a Rolex that day.
    Last edited by andy tims; 27th March 2017 at 12:53.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Love it. Thanks mate

Master
    I met a guy i used to work with a few months ago who used to be interested in watches and asked him if he ever bought a rolex and he said he thought about it but couldnt justify spending 3 or 4 hundred quid on a watch

Excellent! Stolen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I met a guy i used to work with a few months ago who used to be interested in watches and asked him if he ever bought a rolex and he said he thought about it but couldnt justify spending 3 or 4 hundred quid on a watch
    I guess he was interested in watches a while ago now. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    PP instead? ;-)

Exactly.

Last Saturday I met for the first time, the parents of my eldest lad's long term girlfriend (the people that could become In-Laws). We had lunch then, whilst walking to the car park, went past a jewelers selling Citizen Watches.
    My son's prospective Father-In-Law, knowing the jewelers said "they do expensive watches here"
    He then said "Yes, I guess so. I looked in the Rolex shop in Chichester the other day - just couldn't believe the prices"
    You should be glad that your son's future in laws are so grounded and sensible.

Or are they just poor?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Or are they just poor?
    Either way, it may not be the grandest of weddings!!! There again, apparently there's an inverse correlation between the amount of money spent on the wedding and how long the marriage lasts!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Either way, it may not be the grandest of weddings!!! There again, apparently there's an inverse correlation between the amount of money spent on the wedding and how long the marriage lasts!
    But apparently a direct correlation between the number of guests at the wedding and how long the marriage lasts...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Maybe after we've all written to Rolex suggesting that the oyster be optional on the new Sea Dweller
    The "oyster"? Im guessing you mean the "cyclops"?

Excellent!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    But apparently a direct correlation between the number of guests at the wedding and how long the marriage lasts...
    My lad seems to have enough common sense to not marry.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Or are they just poor?
    Neither poor or rich but a bit tight / boring - Tap water to drink at lunch FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    PP instead? ;-)
    No - Not on a "first date". Orfina PD Chrono as it happens.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Funny! I ended up reading the Daily Mash for ages. Cheers for the laugh. I'd forgotten about the Mash. I rediscovered Sniff Petrol again recently too. Similar to Daily Mash but Motoring related (and written by ex Top Gear writer, Richard Porter).

Angry

Neither poor or rich but a bit tight / boring - Tap water to drink at lunch FFS.
    THE TAP WATER WAS FINE THANK YOU

Craftsman
    Brilliant read. I have never come across the daily mash to be honest. I ended up reading a few other pieces and really enjoyed it.

Master
    An old friend asked me about buying Rolex for her husband's (early) retirement present. I told her it would be at least 5 for a new one. "Hundred?" She asked in a worried tone........

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    There's an irony somewhere; as watches become ever more expensive they're appealing to a a shrinking minority. I see less and less people wearing watches, they just don't figure on the radar for many people in this day and age.

I think that's sad; any watch is better than no watch..........excluding fitbits or Apple Smart watch things!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    There's an irony somewhere; as watches become ever more expensive they're appealing to a a shrinking minority. I see less and less people wearing watches, they just don't figure on the radar for many people in this day and age.

I think that's sad; any watch is better than no watch..........excluding fitbits or Apple Smart watch things!

Paul

What I find sad is that many here in our WIS bubble are fixated on the expensive high end mainstream stuff, with no real appreciation of history, movements or the lesser but often more interesting brands. Residuals, future values . . . pah!!
    Last edited by magirus; 5th April 2017 at 07:50.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    An old friend asked me about buying Rolex for her husband's (early) retirement present. I told her it would be at least 5 for a new one. "Hundred?" She asked in a worried tone........

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Aww, bless

Exactly.

Citizen is the gateway drug. Then it's Seiko, then it's the harder stuff, Omega, Rolex, then before you know it, you're addicted and considering a PP.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Citizen is the gateway drug. Then it's Seiko, then it's the harder stuff, Omega, Rolex, then before you know it, you're addicted and considering a PP.
    Then you go to extremes and end up losing your house and loved ones and spend the day snorting lines from a Hublot

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Surely not
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Then you go to extremes and end up losing your house and loved ones and spend the day snorting lines from a Hublot
    story of our lives