closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor black bay?

Apprentice

Tudor black bay?

Hi

I am looking to buy a nice watch and after looking around i think i have decided on the Tudor black bay range. I was wondering if, since the new models have been announced, there would be discounts on the older models? i am looking at the bracelet versions of the Black bay red or black or possibly the dark?

Thanks

Not really. Some prefer the older dials. There have been a few AD's either losing or giving up up their dealerships and offering discounts - the watches come up for sale on most watch forums regularly too, so there will be opportunity to buy.
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice
    I have seen a similar question asked elsewhere.
    Being relatively new to watch collecting myself I don't have the experience to have seen patterns over the years, but previous advice is that no one can forecast what prices of current models will do when new models come out.
    Sometimes prices will drop, especially if the new model is extremely popular. Sometimes the reverse might be true, with older models holding value.
    If only we had crystal balls...
    J

Master
    Probably not no. The "older" models are only a year old and still in production

The ETA black bays are no longer in production as far as I'm aware.
    It's just a matter of time...

BB36 and new 41mm version of that watch are still ETA movement but they are the odd ball of the ones of the group and probably not what many people regard as Black Bay.

The other versions of the BB with ETA movement and smiley face text on the dial are no longer in production.

The new Steel bezel BB looks great, as does the new Chronograph.

I currently own a 36mm BB and Black Bay Dark, both good watches but the Dark is a little top heavy.

To be honest I can't see the new models changing any discount that can be available on the watches that were introduced last year.

Master
    I guess this question is in relation to the new watches revealed at Basel rather than the ETA v In house question which was relevant around this time last year.

The most recent watches revealed are additions to the range so I don't expect they will have an effect on discounts of the current range. The change from ETA to in-house that happened last year had little effect on the ETA watches also as stock had run down at many places and as already mentioned, some people actually preferred some design elements on the ETA version. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an ETA BB in stock anywhere now, I would say a black bezel one would be impossible to find. There has been the odd sale heads-up on here with ETA reds and blues at decent prices as supposedly many ADs are giving up Tudor.

Best bet is to try one of the grey dealers although i managed to haggle to a slightly lower price in WoS in Glasgow when i bought mine.

Craftsman
    The BB ETAs are very good value preowned. The BBB ETA having a higher value due to the shorter production run. For example there's a BB ETA red on SC now for £1500. As always DYOR before buying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Yeah, I have been browsing on chrono24 and the second hand prices seem quite high. I have read that tudors hold their value well so that is good to know when I get the watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post
    The BB ETAs are very good value preowned. The BBB ETA having a higher value due to the shorter production run. For example there's a BB ETA red on SC now for £1500. As always DYOR before buying.

I am not sure how true that is. Some regard the ETA as the movement to go for due to increased options when it comes to service time. However, there are people like me who are not of the same opinion and want an in house movement for our money. e.g. I've just picked up a 3 week old MT5602 BB for under £2k.

Dealers are selling pre-owned sub-12 month BBs for list or there about.

The Blues and Reds seem to go for less money as they are "marmite". The Black is a safer bet as they seem to sell better than the Blue or Red.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    I am not sure how true that is. Some regard the ETA as the movement to go for due to increased options when it comes to service time. However, there are people like me who are not of the same opinion and want an in house movement for our money. e.g. I've just picked up a 3 week old MT5602 BB for under £2k.

Dealers are selling pre-owned sub-12 month BBs for list or there about.

The Blues and Reds seem to go for less money as they are "marmite". The Black is a safer bet as they seem to sell better than the Blue or Red.
    You may be right. My perspective is that the BBB ETA was only around for 6 months which probably makes it the most collectible in the long run and I kinda like the rose logo and smiley dial. But frankly who knows. Both BBB models are great to look at anyhow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post
    You may be right. My perspective is that the BBB ETA was only around for 6 months which probably makes it the most collectible in the long run and I kinda like the rose logo and smiley dial. But frankly who knows. Both BBB models are great to look at anyhow.

I prefer the Tudor logo of the IH but prefer the smiley of the ETA as it looks more old skool. Mine's gained 2 seconds since Friday being worn since then, so solid performance from the MT5602.

I love the old BBB and sure to be sort after. I couldn't even look at the new one with those dodgy rivets on the bracelet!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watcha View Post
    I love the old BBB and sure to be sort after. I couldn't even look at the new one with those dodgy rivets on the bracelet!
    I agree, the leather is nice. Deployant is beautifully engineered.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcha View Post
    To each their own. I find the rivets lift what would otherwise be yet another plain Oyster imitation bracelet to something with a vintage look which complements the rest of the watch.

Master
    To me, the BB is a benchmark for high quality, affordable watches. There are pros and cons to both the ETA and in-house variants but both are lovely watches for not crazy amounts of money.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I love my black bay black ETA but never wear it anymore, the clasp is really nice. but i long for a sub/gmt so saving up to get one so mine might have to go to help fund it.

I quite like the new steel bezel version

Love mine and it gets a lot of wrist time. Great watch and solid value (as much as spending thousands on a watch can give you value) imo for the quality and Tudor heritage.

Keeps fantastic time and I wanted the in house movement for the money spent - was a plus that I was not keen on the eta 'smiley' face as well.

Master
    It is a very good quality watch for the money. I've been a Rolex fanboy since 2006 but I must be getting old as I can no longer justify the cost. I'd have to spend £5K+....even for a used Rolex.

I won't call the BBB a keeper just yet but I'd compare the build quality to likes of Rolex/Omega. One thing that annoys me about it is the plastic between the crown and watch....a bit of an anomaly IMO.

Polished sides are scratch magnets.