closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: valve adjust 911

Master

valve adjust 911

Why is it my DIY projects take on a timeline and life of their own? This weekend I thought I would tackle a valve clearance adjustment on an aircooled 911.

In addition to the project had to figure out:
    - how to get rid of the stupid locking wheel nut locks
    - how to loosten the fan pulley but some idiot had used an impact wrench on
    - how to get a valve cover nut away from the spark plug on cylinder 1 so I could remove the plug
    - how to move aircon compressor aside to reach #4, 5, and 6
    - how to disconnect heating hoses to reach #1, 2, and 3
    - how to reach into spaces human arms and fingers were not evolved to do

Anyone else done this on their's? - I must say oddly enjoyable way to get to know the car.

Not an air cooled owner (Cayman instead) but I agree that it is good to get up close and personal with the car!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

From what I can tell, just take the engine out and get the bus for the month it takes to get the mother working.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    From what I can tell, just take the engine out and get the bus for the month it takes to get the mother working.
    You can tell nothing on this subject.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    You are too far away for us. Otherwise I would have written: 'bring it over to us and we'll do it for you in the workshop'. (Come to think about it: Eddie would have slapped me on the wrist for hidden advertising on the G&D )

Valve adjustment of a 911 is a source of new 'grown man's words' and you have to remind yourself how wonderful these cars drive when all's adjusted. Otherwise you will end up with a blowtorch and a jerrycan full of petrol... Good luck with the job

Menno

Master
    Think yourself lucky, on the Dino you have to take the cams and followers off to change the shims.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Think yourself lucky, on the Dino you have to take the cams and followers off to change the shims.
    I've always felt that bucket and shins were a much more elegant solution than screw and locknut. Having to take half the top end to pieces in order to make adjustments just adds to the pleasure of ownership.

Craftsman
    I had a few 911's and a 930 and when I did the tappets I dropped the motor, took less time than struggling on my back and losing knuckles. I had access to windy tools and a lift, so may be you have to do it with the motor in. You can get the special cranked feeler gauges which makes it easier too. If it hasn't got oil fed tensioners which is unlikely it's a good idea to retro fit them.

Had a 3.2 carrera for 12 years and did all my own work on it so can feel your pain - mine also had the very rare air con. Another great source of fun is changing the oil pressure switch ..

Master
    I luckily do already have the oil-fed tensioners. I tried using one of those new-fangled adjustment tools, where you turn a certain amount anti-clockwise to get the right gap. Excellent in theory - but couldn't get it to work for me - my arms aren't long enough to do it from the side, and from underneath you can't see the gauge.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that's suffered through this.

Today's challenge - how to source a connector for the O2 sensor - which are NLA

Tomorrow's challenge - replacing spark wires and hopefully not mixing any up.

Craftsman
    Are you working in a garage at home, if so and it is fairly well equipped with a decent trolley jack and stands it may well be worth thinking about dropping the lump if not now in the future. It's really not hard esp for two people it's all self contained as it were. The Haynes manual or better Andersons book and a bit of common sense is all it needs. I have just retired from the motor trade and would rather work on early to 90's 911s than the vast majority of modern cars. When it is done don't forget to drive past a plate big plate glass shop window and grin at your reflection

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinon View Post
    Are you working in a garage at home, if so and it is fairly well equipped with a decent trolley jack and stands it may well be worth thinking about dropping the lump if not now in the future.
    I've thought about it, but more than a bit nervous to try :-( I've actually got a 4-post lift, so if I trusted myself, it wouldn't be too bad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikosF View Post

Today's challenge - how to source a connector for the O2 sensor - which are NLA.
    It might be a so called 'JUNIOR POWER TIMER' connector, I'm sure it was on my Bosch ECU Alfa.

e.g. https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/680