closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who came up with the 'faux-patina tritium' lume idea first?

Who came up with the 'faux-patina tritium' lume idea first?

Omega have really gone for this recently, but did Eddie think of it first...?

No idea but I like it, especially on restored vintage pieces. James of this parish beautifully redid my Accutron Astronaut dial and hands and transformed them from an ugly, dirty and degraded look to a lovely warm vintage hue.

I first came across the term when discussing Steinharts, who clearly colour (to keep Tony -LTF happy) the lume on the plots and hands with varying shades of deep yellow into brown to give their vintage homage watches that vintage feel. Clearly other makers who make similar watches do the same.

I always assumed the term was being used in a derogatory way to dismiss them as rip offs or cheap copies etc. It will be interesting to see how the debate develops now that the term is being used in connection with a series of Omega limited editions.

As usual with the world of watches, people will make up their own rules as to what is acceptable but we'll also happily break our own rules too.

I don't like the look on modern watches made to look vintage, stuff like the Steinhart Ocean Vintage, yet I have no issue with it on the likes of the Seamaster 300 ("Spectre" watch, for avoidance of doubt) as that feels like it is done for design purposes rather than to ape something old. I would also have no issue with it being done on a resume of a genuine vintage watch.

No real rhyme nor reason to my thinking, those are just my personal rules I'd be happy to break!

Craftsman
    My guess would be the replica makers otherwise the vintage knock offs would have appeared brande new.

Re:m as rip offs or cheap copies etc. It will be interesting to see how the debate develops now that the term is being used in connection with a series of Omega limited editions.

Or PRS/Timefactor watches.
    TBH,I like it when it is nicely done and don't get bent out of shape.
    An interesting question would be- for those objecting, is it ok if it is used when restoring vintage watches?

One has to wonder when we'll start seeing pre-faded bezels. 'Ghost' Steinhart, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    One has to wonder when we'll start seeing pre-faded bezels. 'Ghost' Steinhart, anyone?
    Done that....and more....OOO.

Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post
    Done that....and more....OOO.

That has got to be the worst branding ever seen on a watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Agree and it spoils a stunner too.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Wrong

This is the worst

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    The first ceramic planet oceans had a decidedly charcoal ghost color. They look very much like a faded Rolex insert.

I would not purchase a watch with faux patina. It's obvious on most it not authentic and has been applied to fit in with the current trend.
    If wanting a watch with patina then purchase a watch from an era where the watch has naturally changed.
    Obviously my opinion is subjective.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Because God forbid manufacturwers should use a colour of lume that's popular eh? Let's all stick with white.