closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Flip BLNR for 2009 nos Sea Dweller

Flip BLNR for 2009 nos Sea Dweller

Before reading, please think of this in the context of thin wrists at 6.75 inch and I am not a big guy.

I have had a SubC....it's gone. Not the watch I dreamt about and always wanted. To me it just does not look like a Sub should with those lugs. It wore much bigger than I hoped and I missed the classic Sub shape, as it was that shape that I really wanted.

I have a white dial DaytonaC.....totally in love, it comes out on special occasions. It will never be sold. This fits me perfectly.

I have just had purchased for me by my lovely wife a 2009 V serial sub date, new old stock at a very reasonable price, not yet arrived but I cannot wait.

I really should have bought a 5 digit straightaway. They fit me perfectly from the ones I have tried on before and it just the quintessential Rolex to me.

I have a BLNR, I really do like this watch. It is really special, but I find it wears too big, and the lugs still look too chunky to me.

Here is the deal, I have been offered a very good trade on my BLNR for a NOS SeaDweller 2009 V serial.

I will have,

DaytonaC - for best
    2009 Sub Date - for everyday in the office etc
    2009 Sea Dweller - the beater on NATO etc

My thoughts,

I love 5 digit Rolex
    I have tried a whole bunch on and they fit me perfectly.
    The 6 digit models just don't do it for me, as much as I like all the features and look on the BLNR I prefer pre Ceramic models.

Do you think i should do the trade on the BLNR.

Getting the nos SD is hard at the right price now, while I ca always get another BLNR.

Never.

Master
    I would go for it, the 16600 to me is a very special watch and good ones are only going to get more elusive.

Master
    Some will say go ahead with the trade. Others may say stick with what you've got. You sound as if you've made your mind up already and will make the trade. As far as I'm concerned, older is better. I'm not fussed on ceramic bezels and the bigger cases. I'm also content with the older bracelets.
    Personally speaking, I got a 2006 Sea Dweller a couple of weeks ago. I love it.

Sounds to me like you have made your mind up already, its all personal preference, I would keep the BLNR for quite a few reasons but I prefer the 6 digit models anyway so I am a bit biased I suppose

Master
    NOS is irrelevant if you plan to wear it. Youre paying a premium for it, then throwing that premium away the instant you de sticker it and start to wear it.

If you really want one, and plan on wearing it, pick up a good used one for less money.

If you plan to tuck it away as an investment that's easier to understand.

Not withstanding the above, I think your BLNR should be worth more than a nos 16600.

Imho the Sub and Seadweller are too similar, having owned both in the past I found the Seadweller actually wore smaller but much higher than the Sub, and even though i have large wrists I didn't get on with them. At least the blnr is different - but I'm in the same camp as you in that I much prefer the older case style. In fact I've never even considered the bigger lug models.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    NOS is irrelevant if you plan to wear it. Youre paying a premium for it, then throwing that premium away the instant you de sticker it and start to wear it.

If you really want one, and plan on wearing it, pick up a good used one for less money.

Not withstanding the above, I think your BLNR should be worth more than a nos 16600.
    Sound advice, don't be the one to take the hit on turning a NOS watch into a normal everyday watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Can't add much to what's stated above. NOS is wasted if you are going to wear it - and a BLNR should be worth more than a really good but used 16600.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Instead of getting a seadweller what about a Pepsi GMT 16710. You would then have a classic chronograph, diver and GMT

Master
    If you like it why not? The BLNR is easy enough to get if you want one and is still made. Depends on the exact deal are you getting money back, then yes. If not, then I would sell the BLNR easy enough to sell and buy a SD.

Master
    Sea Dweller is a fairly thick watch and gets even more top heavy with two lengths of NATO under the caseback.

Master
    To me it's not always about the deal but how you feel about the watch.

As you say the BLNR wears too big for you so the chances are you will never be happy with this watch.

However have you tried the SD as they can be a bit thick and top heavy.

There are loads of Rolex watches i have discounted because i have tried them on and they are too small,too tall or just don't sit right on my wrist.I would never buy one until i have tried it on.

I am lucky that i have found the one for me.

I prefer the newer models by far, but if you prefer the last generation, nothing wrong with that, they certainly wear well.

OP, based on everything you gave told us, I would absolutely NOT do the trade. A 30 second glance on Watchfinder tells you all you need to know about what people are clamouring to get their hands on...

The BLNR is a hot watch right now and one you could shift very easily. As others have said, there is no point losing that currency in trade for a NOS watch you've said you will turn into a beater.
    Don't get me wrong, I like being the first owner and wearing my pieces in, but use a bit of logic here otherwise you will leave money on the table:

- You've got an incoming NOS Sub as a very meaningful gift from your Mrs, and with your realisation that you prefer the 5-digit models, that will be a special watch that will be nice to wear and make 'yours' from new.

- Any almost equivalent value in the trade comes from your trade partner having kept the SD in NOS condition. Once you start wearing it, and it is no longer NOS, maybe it will hit you that the watches are in no way equivalent in value on the secondary market (whether you prefer the old models or not).

- If you plan to use a SD as a true beater, there is absolutely no need for it to be NOS, and you are giving the other guy far too much leverage to prize a BLNR out of your hands by dressing up his SD as more desirable than it really is.

In summary, sell the BLNR because you have made your mind up there. With the money, buy an older SD that doesn't have to be anywhere near mint (that you won't mind smacking about) and keep the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Instead of getting a seadweller what about a Pepsi GMT 16710. You would then have a classic chronograph, diver and GMT
    My thoughts...

Apprentice
    Go ahead and trade as others have said and I agree that you have made up your mind. I got my BLNR in December and I wear it daily. I love it and never trading it. Also, just purchased a SD4000 ($8740), one of 2 I found, with the other still available.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Guys, thanks for the responses and some very sound advice in there.

While I was going to do the trade, I think I will hang off for now and wear the Sub for a while.

The trade may be for an earlier Sub and not nos SD.

I like to have new and know I will be paying extra for nos, this is a slight loss I am prepared to take.

Master
    You're my watch soul brother. I too have a thing for NOS five digits. I really like my 16600 and wear it frequently.

It wears visually similar to your Daytona (I have the previous version) in that they're both smaller dial larger bezel watches. The caseback is thick, but it's never been a problem for me.

There are tons of these watches floating around in NOS condition. I wouldn't pay a huge mark up for one (a reasonable one yes, 50% no). Sell your blue black GMT (which I don't like fwiw) and sit on the money until a good deal on a nos five digit shows up.

Forget NOS. I have a stickered up one, and it's main premium is done to being unworn, V serial, and still with stickers - but it's exactly the same as my older SD 16600. I'd buy as good a condition older SD 16600 and if required have it serviced and then enjoy it. An unworn one might, just might, fetch more than a BLNR in the right market place, but a perfect one that is as good for the job won't be.

Id have both with your collection, why not?
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Forget NOS. I have a stickered up one, and it's main premium is done to being unworn, V serial, and still with stickers - but it's exactly the same as my older SD 16600. I'd buy as good a condition older SD 16600 and if required have it serviced and then enjoy it. An unworn one might, just might, fetch more than a BLNR in the right market place, but a perfect one that is as good for the job won't be.

Id have both with your collection, why not?
    Totally agree with this. The "stickered" part carries a big premium which is important for collectors who will never wear the watch.

If you need a beater as you say, just buy a good condition one at reasonable price. Of course if money is no issue, go for a stickered one.

The SD picks a lot of small scratches, especially on the polished sides. As any other SS Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'd buy as good a condition older SD 16600 and if required have it serviced and then enjoy it.
    I agree with this approach and would get one with lug holes