closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cycle annoying click

Master

Cycle annoying click

Now I know this is a bit of a common fault- I've got an 18month old Boardman hybrid- I'd developed an annoying single click at the top stroke of the right pedal
    I thought it was the pedal so I bought some budget ones just to see- it seemed to cure it but a few weeks later it returned- I've got a set of other new pedals I tried and same symptoms so I've ruled the pedals out
    I thought it was from the bottom bracket but it was in Halfords in Feb and I asked them to check it - they said it was fine
    I is a bit sporadic as sometimes it almost stops- I can replicate it on the stand and it happens when I'm sitting or standing peddling - I've checked the crank bolts and they seem to be tight
    I'm due a new CTW bike in about 4 months but this is bugging the he'll out of me - I'm only doing about 5 miles a day on it
    It's sort of a double click now- any pointers from the cycling fraternity would be appreciated

Master
    I’d check the chainring bolts. If all ok then properly check that the bottom bracket is ok. Is it definitely once per pedal revolution?

Grand Master
    Best thing tends to be to strip it down, clean and regress, it's amazing what a bit of grease and a tightening up of the bolts will do.

Can you check to see is it more obvious when you are in the small ring on the cassette, mid range of the cassette or big ring on the cassette (which is non preferred) ?

This could be simple Hi-Lo adjustment of the front mech...

Are you sure it's not your knee?

Sounds like your chainring bolts to me, grease and tighten. Job done.

:).

Master
    Defiantly once per revolution of the pedals, I'll try the cain ring bolts again but I'm sure they are ok
    Now the bottom bracket - ouchh
    This is maybe where I'll struggle

If it's still there once the chainring bolts have been checked, it may sound strange, but tighten the quick release skewers on your wheels. I can't say how many threads on bike forums have folk go through every component on their bike chasing down clicks or creaks to have it turn out to be the skewers.

But also check to see if it's there small or big ring, and also in the saddle and out of the saddle. Seat post and saddle clamp could be culprits. And does it just do it with decent resistance on the pedals or when turning the pedals slowly when freewheeling. If so, then it should do it on a stand, or just with you off the bike and the back wheel held in the air, in which case get someone to move about the bike having a proper listen.

Good luck. Nowt worse than a noisy bike.
    Last edited by Uriel; 25th March 2017 at 19:36.

Master
    Bikes are v. good at amplifying sounds. So skewers - greased/tightened. Check chainring bolts and if possible the bootom bracket threads may need greasing and the crank bolts tightened. Check the cleat/pedal intercace if using clipless - a spray of WD40 around the front of the cleat.

Apprentice
    Bikes tend to act like an amplifier and so it can be very difficult to find a creak or clickif you want to systematically check everything then:

It could be the handlebars, stem or headset. 're-torque stem bolts and check, clean, grease and adjust the headset.

Both wheel skewers and check for play in the wheel, do this by moving the wheel from side to side.

Check the saddle rails and intact and 're-torque them in the seatpost, then check the seatpost in the frame and seat collar.

Remove, clean and re-grease the bottom bracket, check the bearings for wear.

Re-grease pedals, check crank and chainrings.

Check freehub and rear wheel bearings. Clean and torque cassette.

Check bottle cage bolts and any other braze on fittings

Check chain for and stiff links

Reset derailleurs and check jockey wheels.

Hope that it is the first thing on the list and not the last!

I'd get a second opinion on the bottom bracket if it was my bike...

Master
    One of the chain ring bolts seem looser - I'll need to create a chain ring nut bolt tool tomorrow and take it from there
    Thanks all. As always for the pointers

Check saddle and seat post as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have a Boardman and had an annoying click, would click every revolution for 30miles then go silent. Very random.

I ended up getting a full service and strip down which seamed to do the trick.

The BB30 clicking on Boardmans is a common fault.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    bottom bracket, remove and check bearings and cup for damage if none then clean and grease, if there is damage, remove and replace with new, hammer and a piece of wood will get the cups out and in.

You checked the crank is not just hitting the front mech?

Sounds obvious but have you checked the excess cable on the front mech isn't catching on the crank...?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux View Post
    You checked the crank is not just hitting the front mech?
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Sounds obvious but have you checked the excess cable on the front mech isn't catching on the crank...?
    Yes checked both - I'm hoping it's the chain ring bolts - borrowing a 'tool' tomorrow as I seems slightly loose

If it's a bb30 bottom bracket (Boardmans usually are) there's a good chance that the bearings are loose in the housing. You can usually only notice this when putting pressure through the crank so hopefully it isn't this. If it is then you need to remove the bearings, clean, grease and Loctite back into the housing. Simple job if you have the correct tools but if not take it to a bike shop.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    If it's a bb30 bottom bracket (Boardmans usually are) there's a good chance that the bearings are loose in the housing. You can usually only notice this when putting pressure through the crank so hopefully it isn't this. If it is then you need to remove the bearings, clean, grease and Loctite back into the housing. Simple job if you have the correct tools but if not take it to a bike shop.
    Thanks - I do like to try to fix things myself - read as I'm tight- I'll road test tomorrow

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Thanks - I do like to try to fix things myself - read as I'm tight- I'll road test tomorrow

Sweepstake. Winner takes all as to the cause of the noise.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think there's quite a lot of options for noise generation. I would start investigation the bottom bracket

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I think there's quite a lot of options for noise generation. I would start investigation the bottom bracket

D

still clicking so looks like its the BB- now do my 'skills' stretch to this?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...rackets-29544/

Check your chain. There could be a slightly tight link. Also I once tracked down a click on a pal's bike to a missing roller on the chain, easily done if removing to clean. I always fit a length of copper wire through both ends of chains when cleaning and give a twist to avoid this now. The tight link is easily fixed with the slimmer of the 2 teeth on a chain tool.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Sounds like the bottom bracket to me.

I had a similar problem. changed the free hub and bottom bracket turned out to be the quick link on the chain

Master
    well its fixed- hats off to Halfords- I left it with them over the weekend and had a call yesterday PM, all fixed - the guy just re torqued everything and applied some Loctite to a couple of areas and its silent -FOC