closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Star Wars OT Despecialized Editions

Master

Star Wars OT Despecialized Editions

Just finished watching the Star Wars Despecialized editions.

You get digital quality video & audio but the original cinema releases of SW episodes IV, V & VI, with all the later CGI guff taken out, all the original voices etc too.
    Means you don't have to see horror such as this, :

They are well worth a watch.

Craftsman
    Interesting. I'd given up watching the remastered ones as the changes irritated me. Will see about ordering these!

Sounds much better to me.

If only the 3 dreadful episodes could be airbrushed from cinema history.......

Where are these editions available? What are they called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alun View Post
    Where are these editions available? What are they called?

They are not official releases, they are fan made.

Where can you buy them from then?

Torrent site download. Not fan made just off the laser discs.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Harmy has said he prefers the newer Silver Screen version of Star Wars to his own Despecialized.

They are not just off laser disc. They are mostly scans of original film which is then restored and processed. Some laser disc and Blu-ray content is used where the film scans aren't restorable.

I have the original cinema releases as a second DVD on one of my sets...they are the only ones I watch.

Master
    Not sure if there is a Silver Screen version of ESB & ROTJ though?

Def not laser disc copies though, several sources per film, the Silver Screen edition took several years to complete.

Master
    I read somewhere (I don't recall where) that now that Disney own LucasFilm that they were considering - or have plans - to release the original cinema releases on DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Harmy has said he prefers the newer Silver Screen version of Star Wars to his own Despecialized.

They are not just off laser disc. They are mostly scans of original film which is then restored and processed. Some laser disc and Blu-ray content is used where the film scans aren't restorable.
    There are 35mm transfers of all three in 1080p. The silverscreen version of star wars was a cleaned up version, the other two are "grindhouse" versions. I have them all and also all of Harmy's. Harmy in particular is very specific about the requirement to own the official blu rays before dowbloading his versions (which are absolutely superb and even though 720p make the official blu rays look appallingly bad in terms of colour and contrast). For those of you wishing to seek them out, there is a facebook page dedicated to despecialized (sic) with instructions how to do so but you can torrent them. You need SW and Jedi version 2.5 and Empire version 2.0. Hope that is some help. But definately get them. Childhood restored because of DeEd. Can't even watch the official releases without wincing. And don't get me started on the prequels... I even edited my own version of episode 3 (the least offensive) and got it down to a mere 83 minutes but I still can't stand it. On the other hand though... thank Disney for Rogue One. Best SW film I've seen since 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    Not sure if there is a Silver Screen version of ESB & ROTJ though?

Def not laser disc copies though, several sources per film, the Silver Screen edition took several years to complete.
    See post below buddy. If any of you guys want a hamd finding these things let me know.

Sorry for spelling mistakes have cut my thumb and trying to type on iphone with plaster

Blog Entries
    Do they have the original emperor in before they changed him, the original band players in jabbas palace and other non cgi added background filler?

Master
    Yep, exactly as released at the time, no additions what so ever.

As already mentioned, the colour is excellent, the audio is spot on. The ESB cut is just brilliant.

They are way way better than the most recent bluray releases.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Interesting topic :)

I noticed there is a 2.7v of Star Wars. Still recommend 2.5 over this one?

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Do they have the original emperor in before they changed him, the original band players in jabbas palace and other non cgi added background filler?

It's pretty much exatly how you remember it as a kid... no BS cgi. Harmy has worked really hard on it. With version 2.5 of Jedi, he used 35mm original film (previously he'd upscaled the 2006 bonus disc) so you have the original band scene in fantastic quality and vader's eyebrows are back with avengence. You can check out what he's done at originaltrilogy.com. Be warned, it's as geeky about SW as we are about watches (then again, i fall into both camps there lol)

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Interesting topic :)

I noticed there is a 2.7v of Star Wars. Still recommend 2.5 over this one?
    2.7 is a colour correction. I have to say, i prefer 2.5. 2.7 is a purist version relying on the silverscreen as reference whereas 2.5 is more like a "remastered" and more vibrant version. Harmy was pretty gracious in allowing it to be called 2.7 but if you want the purist version download the silverscreen version. Get 2.5 for a modern day experience from a 1977 film.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I only ever watch the originals with the new ones in the 'Machete Order' its the only way that makes sense of the 6 films,

This particular arrangement of Star Wars episodes has been christened the Machete Order. To summarise, it chops out Episode I completely, and encourages the viewer to watch the films in the following order: IV, V, II, III and finally VI.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star...#ixzz4cQvcl3k3

I should also add that the mkv files are HUGE! I have both MKV and avchd disc images and the difference is minimal so I'd advise the avchd disc images as they are half the size and although missing a couple of versions of the audio are pretty much identical. I'm happy to burn these discs for peeps too as long as you pinky swear you have the official blu rays

I've been considering renaming the Star Wars films on my Plex server now that Episode VII has been dropped from The Force Awakens. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is so much easier to say. What naming conventions do you guys use?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I've been considering renaming the Star Wars films on my Plex server now that Episode VII has been dropped from The Force Awakens. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is so much easier to say. What naming conventions do you guys use?
    I call them (respectively): Rogue One, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi and The Force Awakens. I don't bother with episode numbers....and number them 1-5 in sorting options so they appear in order. For two reasons really. Firstly because the original SW originally didn't have an episode number and therefore I don't think it should, and secondly it gives the prequels a reason to exist. I try and pretend that they don't.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by professorfail View Post
    I call them (respectively): Rogue One, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi and The Force Awakens. I don't bother with episode numbers....and number them 1-5 in sorting options so they appear in order. For two reasons really. Firstly because the original SW originally didn't have an episode number and therefore I don't think it should, and secondly it gives the prequels a reason to exist. I try and pretend that they don't.

Ha - exactly what I do!

Wow these MKVs are pretty damn big

Blog Entries

Star Wars OT Despecialized Editions

Quote Originally Posted by professorfail View Post
    and vader's eyebrows are back with avengence.

Laughed my midichlorians off ! ( joke definitely a joke in fact that was sacrilege )

Blog Entries
    I bloody hate the term 'a new hope'

Hahhaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Ha - exactly what I do!

Wow these MKVs are pretty damn big
    Get the avchd versions. Honestly there's sod all in it quality wise and they're about half the size.

Mine do 😊

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    I only ever watch the originals with the new ones in the 'Machete Order' its the only way that makes sense of the 6 films,
    I just can't watch the prequels. To the extent that even in machete order (which makes sense on paper), Jake Lloyd irritates the piss out of me "sandstorms are very very dangerous" and hayden christensen from the other two "it's not fair" "i hate you" and "padme, is she ok? Is she alright?.. Noooooo". Sometimes I wish Disney would declare them as non canon and remake them but then again maybe not. I'm actually dreading the Han Solo movie. Personally think the first time we meet Han should be in the cantina in the first film.