closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The first chip is the deepest.....

Craftsman

The first chip is the deepest.....

So I bought a Junghans Max Bill in December and have worn it every day since and love the bauhaus look.

I decided to play table tennis at work last night, had a few too many drinks and smacked into the wall resulting a small chip (as you can see in the picture).

I know it's not practical to wear a dress watch all the time and will hopefully be picking up a preowned Rolex SubC Date for my 30th birthday (next April).

Anyone else wear a dress watch all the time and also can anyone recommend whether it's worth repairing now or not?

Not sure how much the cost would be?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I can't see anything amiss in that picture.

Is that a chip or a scratch, difficult to tell from the image. Do you know what the crystal is made of ?

I think that it is scratch resistant plexiglass. I can't see much from the photo but if polishing has no effect I would probably live with it until a service was due.

Craftsman
    I believe it is acrylic crystal but has a sicralan coating so you can't buff any scratches out.

I would also say it's mid way between a scratch and a chip as you can feel the groove it has caused.

It is annoying but not noticeable unless you are looking for it. The problem is now that I know about it should I repair and replace the crystal or just leave it for now if I am getting a new watch next year?

Here's a closer pic where you can hopefully see it clearer:

Personally, I would have a go with Polywatch and use the end of a cotton wool bud, so you can be exact and apply a bit of pressure. You have nothing to lose trying.

If it has no effect, live with it until the next service.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Personally, I would have a go with Polywatch and use the end of a cotton wool bud, so you can be exact and apply a bit of pressure. You have nothing to lose trying.

If it has no effect, live with it until the next service.
    I'm pretty sure that polywatch ruins the coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm pretty sure that polywatch ruins the coating?
    It's a straight choice then, live with it or get the crystal replaced. If the OP can't live with it and is going to take it in, then nothing lost having a play with it first.

Craftsman
    I wear a Nomos Ludwig for weeks at a time. All activities....Awesome watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Have it fixed IMHO. You will need to even if you plan to sell it on at some stage. The only question in my mind would be when - and that is a matter of cost, cash flow and whether you can live with it.

I even take my SKX off for ping pong :)

The Junghans coating is very impressive, I've had my Max Bill for 18 months and it's as flawless as sapphire still. I wonder if Animalone knows how much replacements are from Junghans?

Master
    You seem to think that your watch is not as resilient, because it is a 'dress watch'. But why couldn't a Sub, or any 'sports' watch sustain equal damage ? The Speedy Pro has an acrylic glass, many So called 'dress' watches have tough sapphire. It is down to the design of the specific watch, not an increasingly arbitrary classification.

I think you have a lovely watch, at worst you need a new glass. All watches damage fairly easily. But not a reason to worry, every object we own can be damaged. Indeed, you might have damaged your hand rather than the watch. It is just the rough and tumble of life.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    You seem to think that your watch is not as resilient, because it is a 'dress watch'. But why couldn't a Sub, or any 'sports' watch sustain equal damage ?
    For a start it's got a coating on the crystal which means it's harder to buff out with a bit of polywatch unlike some of the "sports" watches.
    The crystal isn't as well protected as it's sitting in a thinner bezel and quite beautifully domed unlike say, a 5-8mm sapphire embedded behind a ceramic or aluminium bezel with a metal ring.
    316l vs harder 904l or tegimented steel.

Op I'd live with that til service. It's pretty small :)

Master
    Keep it as is, enjoy it some more, then get it sorted once there are more noticeable marks. Life can get expensive if you have a watch repaired every single time it gets a scratch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    All watches damage fairly easily. But not a reason to worry, every object we own can be damaged. Indeed, you might have damaged your hand rather than the watch. It is just the rough and tumble of life.
    The aquired proof of a useful life.

I see it as a delivery form being anal with a new thing; then I can just USE it and enjoy.

In Japanese culture it is the ´sabi´ bit of ´wabi-sabi´. It is seen as honourable for the object. We would call it ´patina´. With vintage watches it is imo a huge nono to remove it.

In the OPs case it is a very minor imperfection which does not constitute a ´defect´ in the sense that it impairs reading the time.

Grand Master
    It would bother me. This is the problem with any type of coating, it's fine until it gets marked or damaged.

There may be the option to completely remove the coating by polishing, then refinish the acrylic as you would with a normal one. Not sure if this is feasible, I`ve done it with anti-reflective coatings on sapphire in the past.

Paul

Craftsman
    Polywatch will sort this out easily. Picking scratches is inevitable when wearing a watch. I learned how to not ger bothered by this

Polywatch will sort this out easily
    I would read posts #1 and #6 from this thread - http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=856503 - before following this advice

Craftsman
    Thanks all. I think I will leave it for now as it is jot that bad more of any annoyance really.

I will replace the crystal at some point, especially if I sell it to part fund the SubC next year but hopefully I will keep both.

If anyone does have any advice on suppliers and cost for replacing the crystal it would be much appreciated!

Craftsman
    It's now worthless.

I'll give you £17.50 and a pre-sucked Werthers.

Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post
    It's now worthless.

I'll give you £17.50 and a pre-sucked Werthers.

Has the Werthers been oversucked and lost all edge definition? I feel this could be an important consideration for the OP.

Ouch. Sorry for your scratch OP.

While we're on topic, this is the exact reason I bought a sports rolex - specifically the explorer 2 - it's knock gives it character. Whereas, sorry OP, a knock on a dressy watch is a much bigger deal IMO.

Personally i'm one of those numpties that can't live with scratches on my watches and they get repaired each time one appears. My local watch maker expects me in every few months so i would get it repaired

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I would read posts #1 and #6 from this thread - http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=856503 - before following this advice
    Thanks for the link. I should have done more research here. But I have used Polywatch many times and one of my buddies has a Max Bill. I have tried it several times and the crystal looked like normal plexy. Now if it has some special coating, clearly it cannot be repaired easily.

However my advice stands, just live with the scratch and replace the crystal when service comes.

That's not a scratch, that's a memento!

Craftsman
    Would it be be expensive to replace? I have emailed Junghans but no response yet...

I cracked the glass in my Max Bill Chronoscope in December.

£75 inc. postage for a new one from Alsal Watches - glass in stock, quick turn around and nice service.

I was hugely releived because it seemed that nowhere had the glass in stock and speaking to Junghans, Page & Cooper etc. all gave the standard, send it to us, we'll send it to Germany and let you know what the cost will be in 6-8 week type answer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    I cracked the glass in my Max Bill Chronoscope in December.

£75 inc. postage for a new one from Alsal Watches - glass in stock, quick turn around and nice service.

I was hugely releived because it seemed that nowhere had the glass in stock and speaking to Junghans, Page & Cooper etc. all gave the standard, send it to us, we'll send it to Germany and let you know what the cost will be in 6-8 week type answer.
    Perfect Thankyou. Not too far from my work as well!

Very reasonable price. Do you know if their crystal is genuine?

Sorry, I just checked my e-mails and I was mistaken, it was £60 all inclusive. £50 for glass, £10 for same day turnaround and postage.

I never asked about the authenticity of the glass...for £50 I just assumed it would be. It looks identical to the original at least.

Sorry, I just checked my e-mails and I was mistaken, it was £60 all inclusive. £50 for glass, £10 for same day turnaround and postage.

I never asked about the authenticity of the glass...for £50 I just assumed it would be. It looks identical to the original at least.
    Alsal do stock Junghans so I'd be surprised if it isn't original.

Craftsman
    Great to hear. Thanks all!

That seems very reasonable. Good luck OP!