closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry skin

Dry skin

Being as the average age of members here is on the more mature side - I suspect that there are a number who suffer from dry skin. Something that becomes worse the older you get of course.

I have for most of my adult life which is why I have used moisturisers on a daily basis for the past 40 years. The problem is worse in the winter of course due to the lack of moisture in the air.

When mine gets bad I take a couple of emollient baths every week using Oilatum and this really helps.

As regards my face, over recent years I have used either Vaseline Intensive Care or Nivea moisturising creams. A substantial application in the morning topped up a couple of times during the day - I carry small tubes in my brief case and in the car.

Recently, someone recommended Jojoba Oil which is said to be more like a liquid wax than an oil and chemically / structurally very similar to human sebum.

I have now been using this for a few weeks and its amazing stuff. It soaks into the skin and doesn't feel overly greasy. An application lasts for a long time so you don't need to keep topping it up throughout the day and it keeps the skin hydrated and free from dry flaky itchiness.

The added bonus from me is that aside from steroid cream, it is the only thing that has successfully kept a small patch of persistent eczema next to my ear under control. Amazing.

We are all different of course so I guess it wont work for everyone but if you have persistent problems with dry skin then I would have thought its worth a try. I bought mine from Amazon for about £8

End of public service announcement

A good tip thanks, I'm going to try this.

Im going to mention this to her indoors, she suffers bad with dry skin in her hands. Doctor gave her different creams but they still break out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Very good!

For persistent dry patches I have in the past experimented with oil. When one of my grandchildren was born my daughter was advised to try a little bit of vegetable oil on my grandsons skin where it was dry so I thought that I would give this a try. Ordinary vegetable cooking oil definitely improved things and rapeseed oil was even better - however they did feel very greasy and made a mess of bedsheets and clothing. Jojoba is no where near as messy and inconvenient as well as being far more effective anyway.

Sorry, wrong price quoted - now that I have double checked I see that it was £12

Heres the Amazon link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    For persistent dry patches I have in the past experimented with oil. When one of my grandchildren was born my daughter was advised to try a little bit of vegetable oil on my grandsons skin where it was dry so I thought that I would give this a try. Ordinary vegetable cooking oil definitely improved things and rapeseed oil was even better - however they did feel very greasy and made a mess of bedsheets and clothing. Jojoba is no where near as messy and inconvenient as well as being far more effective anyway.
    I use coconut oil on my kids now. It is absorbed quickly into the skin and doesn't leave a sticky feeling.

Also putting the moisturiser very soon (within minutes) after bath or shower helps getting all the good stuff into the pores.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Dry skin

Hi Ian, I suffer from psoriasis so use moisturiser pretty much every day. I'll certainly give this a try for my scalp.

For the past couple of years I've been using DoubleBase gel, which is actually a lotion despite the name. It does require a few mins to absorb into skin and can be bought over the counter - i.e. Won't find it on shelf. If you're open to trying a few things I would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ribena36; 25th March 2017 at 11:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post
    Hi Ian, I suffer from psoriasis so use moisturiser pretty much every day. I'll certainly give this a try for my scalp.

For the past couple of years I've been using DoubleBase gel, which is actually a lotion despite the name. It does require a few mins to absorb into skin and can be bought over the counter - i.e. Won't find it on shelf. If you're open to trying a few things I would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks - will give that a try

Even if one particular thing works well I think its good to have other options and switch between them now and then

Craftsman
    +1 for DoubleBase. Also I use Diprobase in a different spot.

As previously mentioned Oilatum in the bath is lovely - its expensive though and cleaning the bath afterward is a PITA

Also - I avoid using soap on my face - instead I find this is a good substitute

...human sebum...

That term sounds vaguley erotic. Back on topic, being bald as a coot due to alopecia I take care of my heed (Northern term for head) and use Norwegian Formula products.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That term sounds vaguley erotic. Back on topic, being bald as a coot due to alopecia I take care of my heed (Northern term for head) and use Norwegian Formula products.
    Do you mean Neutrogena?

If so - I tried it and didn't find it that good

As regards your 'heed' I would have thought that due to your cultural heritage you would be compelled to wear a cloth cap

I have a number, I never wear them though as I think they look awful but suspect that I have some kind of genetic predisposition to having them near

Do you mean Neutrogena?

If so - I tried it and didn't find it that good

As regards your 'heed' I would have thought that due to your cultural heritage you would be compelled to wear a cloth cap

I have a number, I never wear them though as I think they look awful but suspect that I have some kind of genetic predisposition to having them near
    Yes, it's made by Neutrogena. Re cloth caps, I retain one in my wardrobe, but a proper gadgee shouldn't wear one out unless walking a whippet or two, and as I don't run hounds these days I stick to a Tilley T3 should the need for a hat arise.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Yes, it's made by Neutrogena. Re cloth caps, I retain one in my wardrobe, but a proper gadgee shouldn't wear one out unless walking a whippet or two, and as I don't run hounds these days I stick to a Tilley T3 should the need for a hat arise.
    I tend to avoid hats as they ruin my Frank Finlay / Jon Pertwee / David Diickenson style bouffant hairstyle.

In extremis I don my trusty old Tilly T5. As a matter of interest, whilst checking the label a few moments ago for the model number I noted that it is now nearly 17 years old

(Sorry for taking this off topic OP)

I don't really suffer that much from dry skin but do suffer a bit from dandruff. I've taken to using argan oil and rub it all over my bonce.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I don't really suffer that much from dry skin but do suffer a bit from dandruff. I've taken to using argan oil and rub it all over my bonce.

Interesting

Does it not make your hair sort of greasy?

I have always suffered from dandruff and most mornings use H&S shampoo followed by conditioner - by the evening if I rub my head its like a snowstorm

I am going to add a few drops of the Jojoba oil to the conditioner today to see if this makes any difference

Journeyman
    Nizorol works well too, if you apply it directly to the affected area and leave for a few mins then rice off. After I usually coconut oil. Both have antifungal properties, and seems to work on my eczema, then again mine is mild compared to a few others I know.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ingo13 View Post
    Nizorol works well too, if you apply it directly to the affected area and leave for a few mins then rice off. After I usually coconut oil. Both have antifungal properties, and seems to work on my eczema, then again mine is mild compared to a few others I know.

Dont think you mean this?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    Dont think you mean this?

Lol, no, typo. Should have been rince

Master
    Lol, no, typo. Should have been rince

Sorry but I couldn't resist it.

I have dry scalp problems and have just ordered some Naissance Golden Jojoba Oil to see if it helps.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    Sorry but I couldn't resist it.

I have dry scalp problems and have just ordered some Naissance Golden Jojoba Oil to see if it helps.
    No probs . Suffered from the same problem. Since I've been shaving my hair don't seem to suffer as much.

For whatever reason dairy seems to cause a flare up for me, so consume sparingly.

Find what works for you, and watch out for what you eat when it flares up too.

Master
    No probs . Suffered from the same problem. Since I've been shaving my hair don't seem to suffer as much.

For whatever reason dairy seems to cause a flare up for me, so consume sparingly.

Find what works for you, and watch out for what you eat when it flares up too.

I have tried Head and shoulders and all the other hair products available all to no effect.
    I don't get flair ups, its just there all the time.
    Recently in desperation i have been using Niva sensitive skin moisturiser rubbed into damp hair and have noticed a slight improvement, (hair gels make it much worse) I hope the Jojoba Oil tip from Velorum works.

Earlier on this afternoon I put about 10mls of Jojoba in a 1/4 full bottle of H&S shampoo and the same again in bottle of conditioner

I washed my hair as usual and have to say that it does not feel in the least bit greasy - in fact its lovely and soft

I wont know how much it has helped the usual scalp flaking until later on this evening though

Looking good do far

Master
    Earlier on this afternoon I put about 10mls of Jojoba in a 1/4 full bottle of H&S shampoo and the same again in bottle of conditioner

I washed my hair as usual and have to say that it does not feel in the least bit greasy - in fact its lovely and soft

I wont know how much it has helped the usual scalp flaking until later on this evening though

Looking good do far
    Keep us posted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the morning, if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub.

Then I apply a mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine.

I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

Have you considered taking liquid zinc and a vitamin d capsule daily. Really works well for the skin

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Have you considered taking liquid zinc and a vitamin d capsule daily. Really works well for the skin
    I take Vitamin D as part of my daily supplements - not familiar with liquid zinc though - will look into it

I do hope by liquid Zinc you mean oysters.. Mmmm fine de claire, yum.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

By this point in the evening there would usually be some dryness to the scalp noticeable through the hair at the front - I think that there is a definite improvement

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to be a slave to high end moisturizers like guerlain and clinique but I did a load of research and it turns out that lidls cien range beats them hands down for soothing and retaining the moisture so I switched about 6 months ago. I use either the gold or the anti wrinkle night cream during the day as the ed environment with the amount of winter wind and rain absolutely kills my skin. It's been great so far.
    Everywhere else I use palmers cocoa butter spray. Being aerosol it's great cos you can get it all over your back, a dry area for me after showering.
    Haven't tried jojoba but may do

As an aside I will mention under eye cream from Oz Naturals. Ive always suffered from dark circles under the eyes and as Ive gotten older they have started to get puffier. Ive used creams for some time but a few months ago changed to this and I'm impressed with the results - darkness, puffiness and fine wrinkles are far less noticeable. I think that this tube was about £18 but you don't use much so it lasts for ages.

Interesting

I have always suffered from dandruff and most mornings use H&S shampoo followed by conditioner - by the evening if I rub my head its like a snowstorm

I am going to add a few drops of the Jojoba oil to the conditioner today to see if this makes any difference
    I find it ok but everyone's different I suppose, I think its definitely improved my skin though, its a light oil so is absorbed quickly. Another thing I do is drink green tea, at least 2 cups a day, just leave the same bag in my cup and keep topping it up. Working on ships the water is chlorinated and can irritate skin and a guy I used to work with suffered quite badly with skin conditions but drinking 2 cups of green tea a day cleared it up. It seems to have improved the general condition of my skin, less open pores etc.

Have you tried Rapha products Ian? I'm lucky only to have had a couple of dermatological problems albeit persistent ones requiring Betnovate, but not wanting to use steroid cream day-in-day-out someone recommended Rapha to me for the days I took a break from the Betnovate, I can highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Have you tried Rapha products Ian? I'm lucky only to have had a couple of dermatological problems albeit persistent ones requiring Betnovate, but not wanting to use steroid cream day-in-day-out someone recommended Rapha to me for the days I took a break from the Betnovate, I can highly recommend it.
    Thanks - sounds interesting. Where do you buy yours from?

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Great - bookmarked that - many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    In the morning, if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub.

Then I apply a mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine.

I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.
    Blimey David, did you type that or is it a cut and paste from Peter Andre's blog?

Interesting

One word for killing dandruff

SELSUN

It's available behind the counter at most pharmacies

You use literally about a 1p piece blob and you'll have it gone (for weeks)
    It may come back without regular use of it but I only shampoo about twice a week and only use that product

I'm interested in the ice pack idea
    Do you have a link for the one you use?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Blimey David, did you type that or is it a cut and paste from Peter Andre's blog?
    More like copy paste from the mumsnet

I'm joking of cause, there is nothing wrong with looking after yourself and looking your best. Well done.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    One word for killing dandruff

SELSUN

It's available behind the counter at most pharmacies

You use literally about a 1p piece blob and you'll have it gone (for weeks)
    It may come back without regular use of it but I only shampoo about twice a week and only use that product
    Thanks - made a note of that

I see that you can get it from Amazon too

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Well you have to put in the effort, if you want want to look as good as me!

I lie of course, another short, bald, middle aged bloke.

A cut and paste from American Psycho, Patrick Bateman quote. Read the book and watched the film years ago. Watched the film again recently, a charity shop purchase, slightly dated but some classic quotes and scenes like the business cards and Phil Collins scenes. Anybody want the DVD, I can send it.

Can't beat Nivea Sensitive after shave balm, Doublebase gel for itchy dry skin, and Sudacrem for those stubborn Singing Detective patches.

Well you have to put in the effort, if you want want to look as good as me!

I lie of course, another short, bald, middle aged bloke.

A cut and paste from American Psycho, Patrick Bateman quote. Read the book and watched the film years ago. Watched the film again recently, a charity shop purchase, slightly dated but some classic quotes and scenes like the business cards and Phil Collins scenes. Anybody want the DVD, I can send it.

Can't beat Nivea Sensitive after shave balm, Doublebase gel for itchy dry skin, and Sudacrem for those stubborn Singing Detective patches.

America Psycho was completely what came to mind when I read it but I didn't want to mention it for fear of offending or of causing a cat to be fed into a cash machine....

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    America Psycho was completely what came to mind when I read it but I didn't want to mention it for fear of offending or of causing a cat to be fed into a cash machine....
    I was watching a few selected clips on YouTube yesterday, when I came across this and the Phil Collins threads. They are worth watching, but didn't post the links as it's G&D and not suitable.

I use Aloe Vera gel on my face, also great for shaving, but have also developed a dry patch by my right eye on the 'crows foot'. Have tried most natural prouducts coconut oil etc, but nothing seems to work so will try the jojoba oil thank you.

I steal my girlfriends Avon Skin so Soft (https://tinyurl.com/nxt9xqo) to use as aftersun when fishing, really seems to do the trick, and it contains Jojoba, which seems to be very popular here :) Strangely it also has a following as an effective DEET free mosquito repellent when on holiday (seriously).