closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bookin.com scam

Bookin.com scam

I've just booked a weekend away with bookin.com and payed with my card,now I've booked with these a few times and as before I have received an email confirmation.
    Now after receiving this email I received another,this one below it looks like it's a foreign account and my reference number is different,just thought I'd share ,has anyone else received anything like this ,the thing is it came only about a minute after the real one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Looks like a scam. I would be on the phone to booking.com to confirm everything.

Have they been hacked again? It's happened a few times to their site.

It's not a foreign country, given the GB suffix.

It's Barclays Bank, 20-98-61 Sort Code, 83147509 A/C number, so it's the Worcester branch.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I doubt it.....if you look at their terms and conditions on booking.com,which is at the bottom of the page,it clearly says "A security deposit of GBP 350 is required prior to arrival for incidentals. This deposit is fully refundable upon check-out and subject to a damage inspection of the accommodation. "

Booking.com properties sometimes have deposit or security condition. Usually this is due to them being messed about by folks who book and do not turn up which is a lost booking and no revenue.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Just to clarify, did you book with bookin.com or booking.com?

And why they are asking you to pay by bank transfer rather than credit card?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I've booked with booking.com many times and I've never been asked to make a £350 security deposit.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I've booked with booking.com many times and I've never been asked to make a £350 security deposit.
    The same for me,however I've never booked anywhere that had the requirement in their terms and conditions before.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    The same for me,however
    I've never booked anywhere that had the requirement in their terms and conditions before.
    This. It'll be in the property's T&C's.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

See my post above.

Hotels?

R

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have booked with them many times and never paid by BT

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    He is not being asked to pay by BT rather a security deposit which is in the T&C's of the particular property being booked.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    It's not 'them' who's asking for the deposit.

R

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    It's not 'them' who's asking for the deposit.

R
    Why do people not bother to read the detail on a thread these days?

I blame 'Cr@p-atalk'.......

It's certainly common with bookings in the US, and methods of paying vary but are usually by card. Our next stay required a $200 non-refundable deposit paid directly to the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    It's certainly common with bookings in the US, and methods of paying vary but are usually by card. Our next stay required a $200 non-refundable deposit paid directly to the property.
    We had this in 2 of the 5 we booked for our last US road trip. One took $100 the other took $10 to check the validity of the card we booked with.

Craftsman
    I would not pay a security deposit by bank transfer, not a chance.

Master
    Hotels?

R
    Yes, both in the UK and Thailand.

Yes, both in the UK and Thailand.
    This isn't a hotel, its a house. As such, the deposit is there to cover any rectification of damage caused.

R

From Booking.com

Please note that this property is strictly non-smoking.

Please note that this property is not suitable for wheelchair users.

A security deposit of GBP 350 is required prior to arrival for incidentals. This deposit is fully refundable upon check-out and subject to a damage inspection of the accommodation.

A parking permit is available for guests, if lost a fee of GBP 100 will be charged.Please inform Arden Town House in advance of your expected arrival time. You can use the Special Requests box when booking, or contact the property directly with the contact details provided in your confirmation.
    A security deposit of GBP 350 is required upon arrival for incidentals. This deposit is fully refundable upon check-out and subject to a damage inspection of the accommodation.

Master
    Seems very suspicious that the would ask you to do a bank transfer to a UK bank, using the IBAN and SWIFT code since I'm assuming you're also in the UK, which booking.com would presumably also know?

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Seems very suspicious that the would ask you to do a bank transfer to a UK bank, using the IBAN and SWIFT code since I'm assuming you're also in the UK, which booking.com would presumably also know?
    I give up, seriously.

Craftsman
    There's nothing suspicious about it.

Personally I just wouldn't choose to book with someone who had that in their T&Cs, and wouldn't accept a credit card.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I give up, seriously.
    Because?

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Not suspicious, but more a reflection of the accommodation's location. Stratford-on-Avon is very popular with foreign tourists, so the codes will be helpful to overseas clients.

R

Master
    Not suspicious, but more a reflection of the accommodation's location. Stratford-on-Avon is very popular with foreign tourists, so the codes will be helpful to overseas clients.

R
    Yes, I get that but from the EE logo on his phone, he seems to be in the UK. Perhaps it's just the way they do business.

Master
    This isn't a hotel, its a house. As such, the deposit is there to cover any rectification of damage caused.

R
    Ah, ok. Didn't realise it was for a house.

From Booking.com

A security deposit of GBP 350 is required prior to arrival for incidentals. This deposit is fully refundable upon check-out and subject to a damage inspection of the accommodation.

A parking permit is available for guests, if lost a fee of GBP 100 will be charged.Please inform Arden Town House in advance of your expected arrival time. You can use the Special Requests box when booking, or contact the property directly with the contact details provided in your confirmation.
    A security deposit of GBP 350 is required upon arrival for incidentals. This deposit is fully refundable upon check-out and subject to a damage inspection of the accommodation.
    This seems a little ambiguous. The security deposit is mentioned twice.

There's an interesting line on the T&C's right above the bit Chris quoted on Booking.com:
    Quote Originally Posted by Booking.com
    Booking.com takes your payment on behalf of the property for this stay, but make sure you have cash for any extras once you get there.
    I would email Claire and politely ask to make the security payment either through Booking.com or upon arrival, as per their terms and conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    I would not pay a security deposit by bank transfer, not a chance.
    Exactly - and no bona fide accommodation through Booking.com would ask for bank transfer either,

Al

I give up, seriously.

Lol!, I'm laughing because I have never met you, don't know what you like but the image in my head of you pulling your hair out and shouting at you iPad is hilarious. You are right people are responding with out reading. 😄

I must say reading this thread from the start is an enlightening experience as to how much people read before rushing to post their opinion.
    Chris, you have my sympathy.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I must say reading this thread from the start is an enlightening experience as to how much people read before rushing to post their opinion.
    Chris, you have my sympathy.
    Unless Claire is on Tz UK and has good h&v it is a bad idea to BT a payment. 😂

Making the payment via PayPal should give you some protection though? Anyway booking.com needs to work on that payment system even for houses.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

From Booking.com

Yes this is correct,I don't really do small print,I've booked with this website a few times and never had this,but then I've never booked an house before,it took me by surprise really ,but I'll be getting in touch before any money is sent,thanks for your replies even if it may be pointless,at least it kept you busy for 5 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk