Sat nav or speedo

When past a police speed van this afternoon in a 30zone
    Looked at sat nav said 31 but my van speedo said 34
    Bloody hope the sat navs more accurate
    Anyone had this dilemma ? Could I get done doing 34. Worse case
    Scenario
    Cheers andy

Master
    Depends on the police force. But either measure you were over the limit. Where I am there is zero tolerance to speeding.

A vehicle's speedo is calibrated to show a higher speed then the actual, intentionally, to avoid such incidents, so I've been told.

My car at 32 reads 30 on GPS tracking.

The Sat Nav was 'probably' more accurate, but who knows?

It was overcast yesterday and my Sat Nav was all over the place for a while, reckoning I was driving through walls and along non-existent roads, so I wouldn't treat is as gospel (my driving's not THAT bad! :) ).

Assuming the Sat Nav is right, you need to slow down a bit there in future!

M

Sat Nav will be more accurate, so at 31 you'll probably be OK.

20, 30 or 40 I use the speedo
    50, 60, 70 (and beyond on the continent) I use the sat nav.

I believe the latter is more precise, especially on motorways. But also the incidence of a couple of miles an hour is greater at slow speed and they are there for a specific reason, whereas 60 and 70 are there just because.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Car speedo's are calibrated to sit under by 1-3 MPH as to avoid a backlash of drivers driving on the limit and maybe being just over and getting fined/stopped.

your sat nav is more accurate, mine gives a dull low level beep if I go over the limit, I use that rather than looking at speedo, as its much safer than glancing constantly down at it.

Journeyman
    You would be incredibly unlucky to get a ticket for 34/30 anyway

Master
    Seems to be a lot of debate regarding sat nav accuracy on hills or winding roads.

I just use the Speedo, why take the risk.

And last i recall the guidance was 10% +2mph

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    You would be incredibly unlucky to get a ticket for 34/30 anyway
    I got a choice of either 3 points and a £60 fine or £60 speed awareness course for 34 in a 30.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSim View Post
    I got a choice of either 3 points and a £60 fine or £60 speed awareness course for 34 in a 30.
    Have you still got the paperwork showing that ? As someone I used to know works on those vans and the machine won't even click/activate for less than 35 in a 30. Even if his worst enemy was driving towards him, it simply won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    The mobile vans allow 10%. I.e 33mph in 30 zone. 55mph in 50 zone.

Sat nav is gps operated. If your sat nav was showing 31, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it whatsoever.

I go past them 2/3 times a week on my daily commute. 70 zone dual carriageway and I'm sat on 74mph cruise control. Nothing's ever come through as on sat nav I'm doing 71/72mph.

Nearly crapped myself first time i went passed one, nothing has ever come through. Don't worry and have a good weekend.

I would not rely on sat-nav, as GPS is only accurate to 10-20metres, so although occasionally the positioning is spot on, the distance measured could be up to 40 metres short or long.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    I would not rely on sat-nav, as GPS is only accurate to 10-20metres, so although occasionally the positioning is spot on, the distance measured could be up to 40 metres short or long.
    I thought Racelogic's Vbox was GPS based and they are supposedly bang on accurate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSim View Post
    Yep, me too.

Sat nav or speedo

I've seen people post copies of their summons in discussion boards at 50 in a 30 and 79 in a 70 etc... but I've yet to see one where someone has been summons, let alone prosecuted for a speed lower than the ACPO guidelines of 10% + 2mph.
    So 35 in a 30, 46 in a 40 and so on, till 79 in a 70

I'm not saying people are mistaken - but it's a bit like the number of sexual partners one tells one's wife... they always seem to be lower than reality lol.

If someone still had a copy of a summons showing 34 I'd stand corrected.

Last edited by Falcata; 24th March 2017 at 21:03.

I didn't think there was such a thing as the guideline of 10% + 2mph and that the tolerance allowed varied from force to force?

The guidelines are from ACPO (association of chief police officers) and despite what some tabloids will try to have you believe - the tolerances/guidelines are adhered to by all police forces...

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Seems to be a lot of debate regarding sat nav accuracy on hills.....
    It would seem to me that if you were on a steep gradient then you could be going significantly faster than the GPS reading

I have been told that there is an increase in the application of 'zero tolerance' which makes things more critical

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I thought Racelogic's Vbox was GPS based and they are supposedly bang on accurate.
    Yes, but that is in conjunction with a static local base station with known co-ordinates.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    When past a police speed van this afternoon in a 30zone
    Looked at sat nav said 31 but my van speedo said 34
    Bloody hope the sat navs more accurate
    Anyone had this dilemma ? Could I get done doing 34. Worse case
    Scenario
    Cheers andy

Naughty boy
    Where was it Andy?
    School lane?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Naughty boy
    Where was it Andy?
    School lane?
    Top of Tuttle hill just as you turn right down towards dobbies

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

I have been told that there is an increase in the application of 'zero tolerance' which makes things more critical
    You're right mate, in that it's been bandied about as a story on social media and such like... however, it's not actually in practice anywhere and probably started as a rumour to stop those driver who play the maths game.. those who try to drive at 10% plus 1mph to keep under threshold. Or those that try to do that using GPS on satnav.

Watch on 50mph roadworks on the M6 or M1.. car drivers at what they think is 50mph and then trucks half an inch from their bumper as they are running on calibrated speedos/tachos and as such are trying to get the maximum couple more MPH

I have a few LEO friends and they have a saying "Eight your fine Nine your Mine" of course school, work zones and such would be exceptions. What I really wish they would crack down on is people who blow stop signs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
    What I really wish they would crack down on is people who blow stop signs.
    it's off-topic, but agreed! I'm based in London, and while councils are crying about slashed budgets, they'd not have a problem if they just stuck some cameras up at junctions. Seems to be a mentality of once the light is red you have a 10 second grace period (which also results in numerous drivers doing what seems to be 60mph+ just to make sure they don't have to sit and wait for the next green light). The lack of enforcement does nothing to dissuade this behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcata View Post
    The guidelines are from ACPO (association of chief police officers) and despite what some tabloids will try to have you believe - the tolerances/guidelines are adhered to by all police forces...

This is exactly the case -they are only guidelines but 10% + 2 is the threshold so 35 mph or more. Speedometers over read necessarily so nav will almost certainly be mote accurate. The risk is where Satnavs have out-of-date speed limit info and of course cannot anticipate sudden limit changes in roadworks. MK1 eyeball is always the best bet.............