closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seamaster 2254.50 or the current 212.30

Seamaster 2254.50 or the current 212.30

I have decided to get an Omega Seamaster to use as my daily watch.
    And for several weeks I have been bouncing back between the 2254 and the current SMPc model - blue dial.
    I have been offered a 2254 from 2002 and a lovely preowned 212.30 from 2013.
    Both imo are great looking watches and fit my wrist nicely.
    Buying both is not an option, as I don't tend to buy two of the same style watches.

Here's what I think, but please forgive my amateurish approach and lack of knowledge:
    Pros
    Nice looking dial
    Love the sword hands
    Beautifully slim case
    Great lume
    ETA movement - so more flexibility when it comes to be repaired.

Cons
    Older watch and movement

Pros
    Co-Axial movement
    Ceramic bezel
    nice looking dial
    Current model, made from the latest designs and technology

Cons
    Sits slightly higher on the wrist
    The gloss finish on the dial
    Colour combination of the date

There are most likely to be a few other pros and cons for either watch which I don't know about.

This would be my only dive watch and its a possibility that at some point, I would fit it onto a rubber strap.

I would very much appreciate the thoughts and advice from members on this forum. Who I have no doubt will have a far greater knowledge than I.

Many thanks for your input.

Craftsman
    You could simplify you decision making by boiling it down to:

Blue/Black
    Modern/Vintage
    Skeleton/Sword

I like the SMPc but I'm guessing most on here will tell you to go for the 2254, the hand style usually makes the decision.
    Both very nice watches, good luck.

I would go for the new ceramic

I have tried on the 2254 and it is a great watch (although I did find it a bit 'plain' in comparison with my bond) for an everyday wear the ceramic bezel would be a better bet, the prices of replacement bezels are high and you know the bracelet links wont be worn etc

The lume will be great on both

The movement would not be too much of a concern apart from a service point of view, is the 2013 coax still under warranty?

For similar money I'd prefer to buy new, but there are little details about the SMPc that I just don't like - the black date wheel on blue dial, the painted lume plot next to the date wheel (when all the others are applied), and I've seen a few new SMPCs where the end link is quite a bad fit between the lugs. The 2254 is the more attractive watch and would be my choice if you can find a mint one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great day to day beater

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Your only downside mentioned for the 2254 is the movement. The 2892 base ebaché movement in the 2254 is a super movement and can be serviced easily and at lower cost - so lowers your TOC. I can recommend our very own Brendan on this forum as an independent.

If the 2254 is in good shape - no dinks / deep scratches out of those two I'd go for that one. Classic, slim case and can be as accurate as any modern movement if tuned properly (Hayward can comment?).

If you don't know the service history it may be good to get either watch serviced sooner than later. The co-axial will be more expensive to service.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 24th March 2017 at 09:10.

Master
    I've just bought a 2254.50 it's hardly left my wrist since .
    It's going to be a difficult choice if the allure of a new watch appeals (I've always bought 2nd hand so no issue for me).
    Something's you said worries me a bit. Your concern over dial and date wheel. That could really begin to grate I suspect.
    The 2254.50 can be bought and flipped at minimum loss and in fact if you can grab one at £1500. I would as they are appreciating. Newer model 300's are not appreciating as they will be in a depreciation cycle. My view is get a classic 2254.50 and at some point if you still have a hankering buy a second hand ceramic bezel model down the line.
    Just to add some 2254.50 plus points.
    1. Lume is torch like - one of the very best
    2. Really slim so ideal with shirt cuffs and just as good casual.
    3. It still keeps the spirit of the tool watch alive with its SM300 big triangle markers.

The older retro dial has a nicer timeless dial imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    You could simplify you decision making by boiling it down to:

Blue/Black
    Modern/Vintage
    Skeleton/Sword

I like the SMPc but I'm guessing most on here will tell you to go for the 2254, the hand style usually makes the decision.
    Both very nice watches, good luck.
    Your post made me smile if only my brain could work like that and not over think everything.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    But there are little details about the SMPc that I just don't like - the black date wheel on blue dial.
    That is a very good point!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Your only downside mentioned for the 2254 is the movement. The 2892 base ebaché movement in the 2254 is a super movement and can be serviced easily and at lower cost - so lowers your TOC. I can recommend our very own Brendan on this forum as an independent.

If the 2254 is in good shape - no dinks / deep scratches out of those two I'd go for that one. Classic, slim case and can be as accurate as any modern movement if tuned properly (Hayward can comment?).

If you don't know the service history it may be good to get either watch serviced sooner than later. The co-axial will be more expensive to service.

Martyn
    Thanks Martyn the watch is in excellent condition for its age and was last serviced by Omega in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I've just bought a 2254.50 it's hardly left my wrist since .
    It's going to be a difficult choice if the allure of a new watch appeals (I've always bought 2nd hand so no issue for me).
    Something's you said worries me a bit. Your concern over dial and date wheel. That could really begin to grate I suspect.
    The 2254.50 can be bought and flipped at minimum loss and in fact if you can grab one at £1500. I would as they are appreciating. Newer model 300's are not appreciating as they will be in a depreciation cycle. My view is get a classic 2254.50 and at some point if you still have a hankering buy a second hand ceramic bezel model down the line.
    Just to add some 2254.50 plus points.
    1. Lume is torch like - one of the very best
    2. Really slim so ideal with shirt cuffs and just as good casual.
    3. It still keeps the spirit of the tool watch alive with its SM300 big triangle markers.
    Mark thanks for your excellent advice.
    I agree with you on all three points, especially regarding the lume. I charged up both watches before going to bed last night and though both remained readable throughout the night, it was the 2254 which was by far the clearest to read.

Master
    I much prefer the SMPc in black.... the deep glossy black dial is wonderful... I think some of that is lost on the blue. Also the date wheel colour becomes a non-issue on the black.
    So on this occasion I'd go for the 2254.... (would have said SMPc if it had been black).

I am (a little) biased but the 2254 is a classic and the one watch that will not leave my collection. Easy decision!

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Topcat30093;4292556]Your post made me smile if only my brain could work like that and not over think everything.

It's a gift, my brain works very simply, I don't have to try

Grand Master
    The cost of a really top-notch 2254.50 is virtually on par with buying a second hand SMPc; buy a 2254 that turns out not to be quite so good as originally believed and you're into a few £100s to sort it out properly..........ending up with a watch that's standing you at £2000+. That's not far off new SMPc price with discount, or very recent used ones, so I`d struggle to make out a case for buying the older watch.

If the OP really favoured the 2254 heavily over the SMPc he probably wouldn`t be asking the question, so I think the right decision has to be the newer watch. The ideal answer is to own both!

Getting a near-mint 2254.50 is getting harder thesedays. Worn bracelets, tatty bezels and dinged cases are typical signs of a watch that's had a fairly hard life. I`ve refinished plenty of these and whilst they can always be improved significantly they often can`t be made to look new again. Even the ones refinished by Omega show signs of 'soft' edges on the scalloped bezel and a new bezel is the only answer. I see watch change hands for big prices and frankly they don`t impress me, I think there's a real danger of paying over the odds for this model. I`ve had some excellent ones in my hands and I`ve also had some poor ones, it's not always easy to tell the difference without handling the watches.

My head says buy the newer watch every day of the week, but my heart prefers a 2254 in near-mint condition.......if one can be found.

Edit: Hadn`t realised you'd found a nice one....that makes the decision harder. Despite your reluctance to own two similar watches I think they're different enough to justify having both. I have a bimetal SMP and a Black bond, and I`m OK with that.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th March 2017 at 15:05.

Craftsman
    I went through same process and ended up getting 2254. I would say it boils down to personal taste - and the sword hands and lovely low profile swung it easily for me.

My daily wearer and glad i went the route i did

Master
    2254 definitely, especially with the recent service you mentioned. The blue SMPc has never worked for me, just garish IMO.

My first proper watch a 2254, bought new in Manchester in 2004, ran consistently +2s p/d for 4 years I had it. The 1120 is a superb workhorse movement with a little Omega fettling too.

Nice and slim but tough with it. Great watch.

Just taken these photos

Gosh the decision making just got more difficult!
    Perhaps I need both

Just realised how little reflection there is on the SMPc.
    Perhaps it was because I was under more trees when I took the photos of the 2254.
    Do both versions have AR on them - both sides or just one side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 24th March 2017 at 10:42. Reason: Added a sentence

that 2254 looks like new.

^^^^^
    That's down to its previous owner

Master
    +1 for the 2254. Mine's deffo a keeper and just so much more classic looking in my opinion... just hold on for a good one and don't pay more than £1500.

Craftsman
    I have had both, only the 2254 remains.. Classic watch, and the one you have looks to be in very good condition..

For me it was an easy choice..

Mark

Craftsman
    I have 3 different sword hand Seamaster SMPs,i have also owned the blue Bond Seamaster. I do admire the new ceramic versions but not enough to buy one.My vote would be the 2254 +the oem rubber+an extra alternative Bond bracelet(the new type)

As a 2234 owner I vote 2254.

2254 for me as well. Classic looks. Goes well with a t shirt and jeans or suit.

A bit biased as I have one and it's going nowhere. Apart to my son when I'm no longer around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Both. If the 2254 is good value you can flip it easily enough at the moment. I've been quietly looking for one for a while and there's not many in great nick at sensible prices.

Craftsman
    Easy decision for me, 2254 all day long. It is one of only 2 watches that I seriously regret selling. The other was a Navitimer, which if I'm being honest is more to do with the massive increased value. The 2254 I miss for its simple elegance.

Sent from my P027 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    First you need the 2254.50 Sword Hands, then you need the Great White just so you have a bit of complete contrast going on. Then you need the Electric Blue Titanium model. Then it's job done.

I would choose the 2254.50 every time.

Master
    If it was a black SMPc it would only just win on looks over the 2254.50 IMO

As for as the movements go, either would do for me!

But there's one thing I would say having owned the 2255.80 Sword hand model in the past, and currently owning the SMPc, and that is the lume on the older Baton dialed model win hands down compared to the newer if lume is important.

For me if I had to put them in the order I would choose, black SMPc, 2254.50, then blue SMPc, they are all very nice Watches... Enjoy them Tony!

Matt

Master
    Majority picks 2254 and I will also go for 2254 as I'm not a fan of bond bracelet...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Both are great watches, I own a 2254.50 and the current Seamaster Pro is one of the few new Omaga watches I would consider buying (many are far too thick, try on a Planet Ocean).

For me one of the biggest difference is between applied markers and a painted dial. Applied markers definitly look modern while a painted dial looks older. Add on the difference between a ceramic bezel v metal bezel... and I think the difference really comes down to whether you wan't a modern or older look in a watch.

Thanks for all your continued input.
    I think that it is fairly clear that the 2254 is the favourite. And I have to agree with you, as it ticks all of my requirements.
    That said there is something about the SMPc, that keeps me taking another look, but whether its enough to buy it, remains to be seen.
    More food for thought.

Master
    Love the ceramic bezel, but for everything else it is the 2254 for me. The shape of the markers, and the hands make a huge difference

- - - Updated - - -

Love the ceramic bezel, but for everything else it is the 2254 for me. The shape of the markers, and the sword hands make a huge difference

I have both, like them in very different ways and would not consider getting rid of either, but I do have it in mind to one day fit sword hands to the SMPc.

Grand Master
    2254 for me, the slim case and sword hands have it, I got a good one a few months ago and it's become a real favourite, ended up selling my beloved 2531 as side by side it just couldn't compete.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I have both, like them in very different ways and would not consider getting rid of either, but I do have it in mind to one day fit sword hands to the SMPc.

Please don't mix the round markers and sword hands. I've seen one and I personally don't like it.

The ceramic bezel would be nice if it was matt finished and the markers also glows like Pelagos.

Here's mine with the PO seconds hand.

In all 3 threads that I have run over the different forums. The 2254 has shown up to be a clear winner.
    That said there is still something about the newer ceramic version that I like.
    And because I don't want to dismiss it so quickly but instead have a longer period of time with both. And see if one stands out as the clear winner, I am going to try and hold onto both and do more detailed comparison.
    Don't believe that I have ever had two similar watches in my collection at the sometime!

Craftsman
    Personal preference obviously but I had
    the same choice recently and went for the SMPc. I just liked the looks more and that edged it for me, the ceramic bezel being a bonus.
    Good job we all don't like the same as life would be boring.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever one you choose.

Seamaster 2254.50 or the current 212.30

Don't forget the 2220.80!

Still slim
    Coax
    Applied indices and logo
    Wave dial
    Sensible date colour combination

But it looks like you have found one of each of your choices already. As others have said, if you can stretch to both, do so. Assuming the 2254 is a fair price you will have little problem moving it on at minimal/zero loss should you need to.
    Last edited by colin t; 25th March 2017 at 09:01.

Master
    In that case, you need to go for the trio

Finally, got to wear the 2254 all day, early impressions are very positive.

Tomorrow, its the SMPc's turn.

Hopefully, I will have a better idea after that!!

Colin, I did try looking for the 2220, but there didn't appear to be many for sale on either Chrono24 or Ebay. And the prices of those that were for sale, were on par with the newer SMPc!
    You have a great looking piece.

Also toying with putting, whichever one that I go for, onto an OEM rubber strap and deployant.
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 26th March 2017 at 00:23.

Apprentice
    I own a electric blue 2255, my choice would always be any of the sword hands models.

I can't stand with the skeleton hands.

I've had lots of 2254's and 2264, and hardly wore any of them. I've still got a LNIB 2254, that in the collection just because (same as my LNIB 2531). I'd have the SMPc in black - they havent got the blue colour right imho. I actually wear the SMPc a lot. I might wear the Globemaster a little more the the SMPc this year though - but it's one of my most worn watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I've had lots of 2254's and 2264, and hardly wore any of them. I've still got a LNIB 2254, that in the collection just because (same as my LNIB 2531). I'd have the SMPc in black - they havent got the blue colour right imho. I actually wear the SMPc a lot. I might wear the Globemaster a little more the the SMPc this year though - but it's one of my most worn watches.
    Do you wear your SMPc on the standard bond Bracelet Scott? and if so, did you fit a adjustable clasp?

I wear it on the standard bond. I haven't got the adjustable clasps yet - but will order a few at some stage, and put my modern SMP's on them. To be fair, I get a great fit with the Bond bracelet as long as I use a couple of half links.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    For me one of the biggest difference is between applied markers and a painted dial.
    You get both on the SMPc - look at the marker next to the date, it's the only thing stopping me buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

Colin, I did try looking for the 2220, but there didn't appear to be many for sale on either Chrono24 or Ebay. And the prices of those that were for sale, were on par with the newer SMPc!

Also toying with putting, whichever one that I go for, onto an OEM rubber strap and deployant.
    One thing to consider: it looks like you've found a great example of the 2254. These are becoming ever harder to find in good condition and at reasonable price. The SMPc is still a current model, readily available both new and used.

If you think you'll ever want a 2254, and you have a great one available to you, choose that now. The SMPc can come later, should you decide to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

I have been planning to put a OEM rubber on mine for a while but they are a bit pricey! yesterday got hold of a Isofrane at watchobsession (MARCH10 10% off so £65) and ciuldnt be happier with the combination

I have got a lot to learn.
    Especially about the different bracelets and clasps / didn't know that you could get adjustable ones!
    Scott, do you only keep 2254 etc as they are part of the collection?
    I fitted the 2254 back onto the after market rubber strap that came with it. Quite happy with until I find something else.

Had to remove four links and use the half link before I got a good fit on the SMPc.
    Wow, it's far more complicated removing a link than on a Rolex bracelet!
    And though screws are SO small!

Master
    If You are in UK, You will struggle to get an adjustable clasp to fit for either 2254 or SMPC. Omega have direct orders not to sell it here for quite sometimes if the watch serial no. Isn't the correct one for the clasp. But I think in other Countries mainly USA, it is still very much available no questions ask.

Here's mine with the adjustable clasp.