closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Phil collins

Phil collins

Any fans here?

I'm a fan, and I'm concerned, yes his son is playing drums, but there's something in Phi's voice which is unsettling.

Anyone see feel the same?

Master
    As you may know, his son also sings in a band called Sound of Contact; his voice is scarily like his dad's with a bit of (perhaps second-hand) Peter Gabriel influence as well..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVm4uc_zHmM

Having just listened to a recent Phil Collins interview I can hear a certain frailness in his voice, bit I think it's just age.

Loved his work in early Genesis but feel he should called it a day long ago. Musicians fade like sportsman ( well some do at least). I think many just don't know when to call it a day. A bit sad in Phil's case as the bloke is obviously ill.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    ££ involved and all he is doing is sitting in a big house with his ex-wife who is now back with him. So he might as well try and get some glory (and some more money!)

I was a big fan of his growing up in the 80s. I prefer his pre-85 output both solo and with Genesis. I caught him on one of the chat shows a few months back (possibly Jonathan Ross). He looked dreadful and now walks with a stick following back surgery. He sang Against All Odds IIRC and I have to agree with the OP that there was something odd about his voice that I couldn't put my finger on. It made my mind up that I wouldn't bother with the tour and would stick with my memories of Genesis at Roundhay Park in '87 - the only time I saw him live.

I thought his voice was unsettling when he was at his peak.

Not a fan at all, can't stand his voice or his awful records.

He got away with it in Genesis because of the songs but stuff like Su-Su-Sudio.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I was a big fan of his growing up in the 80s. I prefer his pre-85 output both solo and with Genesis. I caught him on one of the chat shows a few months back (possibly Jonathan Ross). He looked dreadful and now walks with a stick following back surgery. He sang Against All Odds IIRC and I have to agree with the OP that there was something odd about his voice that I couldn't put my finger on. It made my mind up that I wouldn't bother with the tour and would stick with my memories of Genesis at Roundhay Park in '87 - the only time I saw him live.
    Autotune perhaps? Saw him just after he replaced Peter Gabriel and laterwith genesis at the time of Mama and saw him solo and as a drummer with Clapton and Brand X. At his peak he was certainly talented to spread the love about but now he can't play drums due to a spinal issue and his voice is so-so. he was an in-demand producer and songwriter. he should try his hand at those.

Isn't Phil Collins the hypocrite that sung "Another Day in Paradise", and then legged it to Switzerland as a tax exile off the proceeds?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Isn't Phil Collins the hypocrite that sung "Another Day in Paradise", and then legged it to Switzerland as a tax exile off the proceeds?
    The song you refer to was written following his visit to Bradford to express what he saw and felt.

Are you seriously suggesting a long standing musician who has performed for many years should not be able to enjoy a commensurate lifestyle?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I enjoy root canal treatment far more than anything Phil Collins has ever said, done, produced, thought, played or sung. Apart from that he's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The song you refer to was written following his visit to Bradford to express what he saw and felt.
    I thought it was based on his observations in the States, New York perhaps?

Irrespective of that, his wealth is immaterial to him writing a song about poverty IMO.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Not a fan - never liked the voice

Mind you, I never quite got over the fact that he replaced Peter Gabriel

Gabriel went on to make some interesting and innovative music whilst Collins went the whole TOTP pop route which says a lot

Master
    Always like Phil Collins but saw him recently on the Jonathan Ross show and he looked really old and frail. Still sounded like him when he performed but I was anxious through the whole things that he might fall over or croak........

So I'm not alone then, I too was a massive fan of his back in the day, and I find myself watching old performances of his on youtube now and again, his drumming was amazing, and like you know, now he can't play the drums, looking frail with an upcoming tour, I can't help but feel, he maybe pushing his luck too far, and he could even be a dying performer like Tommy Cooper. (< an example)

In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. The lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil Collins - the bland leading the band. Truly the antithesis of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    I enjoy root canal treatment far more than anything Phil Collins has ever said, done, produced, thought, played or sung.
    You still like him more than I do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    He is the second wealthiest drummer in rock apparently (£250 million+) so yes you can see why. he was also v. agreeable to a Genesis reunion a few years back (post Gabriel band) which coincided neatly with his £25 million divorce settlement. Phil knows how to look after the money.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    LOL

I left out the juicy bits as it's G&D not Boys Room. Worth checking out YouTube for.

Master
    I know it very well, seen the film many times and read the book a few times!

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I know it very well, seen the film many times and read the book a few times!