timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The new Grand Seiko range... Prices amended

Craftsman
    The new diver looks good .yet another cool watch i cant afford

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    The prices in the OP are wrong - the black dial hi-beat diver is $9600, the LE is $9800 and the LE Spring Drive chrono is $15800. See the US Grand Seiko site for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    ...a lot of these state "new" but yet they still have the "SEIKO" text at the top of the dial (I admit to never owning one and therefore my knowledge is a bit limited). I thought that was going? I do like the new LE diver which only has "Grand Seiko" text though...

http://www.grand-seiko.com

One thing though, the price. You know you were moaning about that Sea-Dweller? Well, the standard version of this Seiko is $14,200, and the limited edition, well that comes with a silicone strap as well, and is $14,600!!!

...and then there's this, at a mere $22,600...

Hi Wayne

Where are those prices from? I tried your link but it didn't load, the US version of the Grand Seiko site is currently listing the prices as $9,600 for the regular production high beat diver and $9,800 for the limited edition with blue dial and extra silicone strap. Seems quite a bit cheaper though I suspect it's academic as the 46.9 mm case diameter and 17 mm thickness will probably put most people off.

https://grand-seiko.us.com/collections/

Edit:
    Is this the source of the $14,200 & $14,600? - Australian dollars perhaps:

http://timeandtidewatches.com/hands-...e-want-it-bad/
    Last edited by AKM; 24th March 2017 at 01:13.

Both these lives are genuinely mouth watering.
    The blue diver is something else.
    Am completely bowled over even if prices are eye watering.

The GS Divers are the first models from Basel 2017 I have any interest in until I read the size.

47mm? I know the world is getting fatter by the day but come on, how about a watch for a 5'11", 12.5 stone guy like me?

Master
    Square date placed where should be round index?
    Looks horrid!

I'm really liking the simple 3 hander - absolutely stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    One thing though, the price. You know you were moaning about that Sea-Dweller? Well, the standard version of this Seiko is $14,200, and the limited edition, well that comes with a silicone strap as well, and is $14,600!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Hi Wayne

Where are those prices from? I tried your link but it didn't load, the US version of the Grand Seiko site is currently listing the prices as $9,600 for the regular production high beat diver and $9,800 for the limited edition with blue dial and extra silicone strap. Seems quite a bit cheaper though I suspect it's academic as the 46.9 mm case diameter and 17 mm thickness will probably put most people off.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    Not sure about the re-branding, it is good in some circumstances to be able to say "it's just a Seiko". I do like the look of the new diver though not the price.

I'm proud to say "it is just a Seiko" every time when finally someone notices mine

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Brien View Post
    The prices in the OP are wrong - the black dial hi-beat diver is $9600, the LE is $9800 and the LE Spring Drive chrono is $15800. See the US Grand Seiko site for reference.
    Hi Wayne

Edit:

Ah, I didn't realise it was an australian site with it being a .com? I'll amend the thread, apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    I'm proud to say "it is just a Seiko" every time when finally someone notices mine

I've never heard anyone else specifically complimenting it, but I really love the Seiko logo

I know they were under pressure to simplify the branding, but for me, this has meant losing the more stylish bit of it.

I've had plenty of people checking out my GS, looking intrigued that I have such a flashy looking or expensive watch, but then when they spot the Seiko logo they look away and relax. Usually someone wearing a Patek, Rolex or Omega. Other type of person is someone wearing a similarly styled Seiko 5 who looks back at theirs, disappointed and confused as to why theirs doesn't look like that. I'm not second guessing motives by the way, as have had conversations about it before!

Last edited by mindforge; 24th March 2017 at 09:40.

Master
    I have never had any 'normal' person notice my Grand Seiko watches. In a Rolex shop the staff pretend they think it is an Omega. They simply cannot cope with the idea of an expensive Japanese watch...especially one with 'Seiko' written on it.
    Judging from the dollar price, the new 'classic' stainless steel 253 should retail around £5500, with discount, about £5000. I plan to drop my reservation for the 'Speedy Tuesday' and buy the 253. Can't afford both.
    Last edited by paskinner; 24th March 2017 at 16:06.

The moment a full page Grand Seiko advert with RRP appears in a Sunday supplement then I'm busted.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I have never had any 'normal' person notice my Grand Seiko watches. In a Rolex shop the staff pretend they think it is an Omega. They simply cannot cope with the idea of an expensive Japanese watch...especially one with 'Seiko' written on it.
    Judging from the dollar price, the new 'classic' stainless steel 253 should retail around £5500, with discount, about £5000. I plan to drop my reservation for the 'Speedy Tuesday' and buy the 253. Can't afford both.
    Don’t do this. Buy the Speedy and sell it for £6k+ which is easily obtainable as there is huge US demand. Then use that profit to make the Seiko cheaper

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Don’t do this. Buy the Speedy and sell it for £6k+ which is easily obtainable as there is huge US demand. Then use that profit to make the Seiko cheaper
    Thanks, good advice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    The last time I checked the ASP of a watch in the UK was about £98.
    I have to say that I am surprised it is as high as that. As with average salaries, it may well be pulled up by a relatively small number of high value watches.

I wonder what the modal price is. My guess it would be less than £50.

Master
    I wish Seiko would employ someone to take actual pictures of their watches rather than the horrible pics they use on their promotional stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I wish Seiko would employ someone to take actual pictures of their watches rather than the horrible pics they use on their promotional stuff.
    They do rather take all the life out of them, don't they. Their pics are very good for seeing every detail of the watch imo but terrible for seeing how they'll look in real life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Agreed. Good advice there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I have to say that I am surprised it is as high as that. As with average salaries, it may well be pulled up by a relatively small number of high value watches.

I wonder what the modal price is. My guess it would be less than £50.
    You are probably correct.
    If you simply look at the watches for sale, 'boutique watches' are already at the expensive end of the mass offerings.
    The most sold are VERY low prices watches.
    Amazon, although obviously not the begin an end all, is a nice indication.

Back to GrandSeiko and prices it is noteworthy that production is about half that of PP and the hands on effort is comparable with this paragon of luxury watches, not with the automated mass produced Swiss 'competition'.
    This century Seiko sailed past Omega/Rolex with GS. It is just that on the whole Anglo Saxon wis are not yet willing to accept it.

P.s. At the very top end of their product range, Seiko are on par with Philippe Dufour and Laurent Ferrier. Albeit with more modern tech horology; at a higher plane of isochrony.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 24th March 2017 at 23:47.

Jura Watches have now listed the new GS models on their site for pre-order.

The limited edition hi beat diver is £10,000 and the regular production model is £9,500.

The ceramic spring drive chronographs are £14,000 and £15,000 for the limited edition.

The limited edition titanium dress watch with date (SBGR305) is £7,000.

Master
    Yes, quite expensive. The classic stainless steel recreation from the 60s, model 253, is £5500. For me, nicest watch to come from Basel this year . Although that is not saying much.......

Strong pricing and they'll be loads cheaper in Japan I expect. In fact easily enough of a difference to buy a cheap flight to Tokyo (£500) and a couple of nights in a cheap hotel (£200). Flagship store in Ginza and but it from it's home turf :-)

The question is, will the 'old' models sink into obscurity or become sought after? My guess would be quite steep depreciation for a few years, then a steady rise as they become seen as 'classics' . Or is that just wishful thinking?
    It is not like buying a Rolex Sub......but more fun.
    There are some dual branded 'Seiko Credor' watches knocking about. Are these considered to be 'classics'?

Wishful thinking...umm...I'd prefer not to think about it at all, just enjoy.

Re the 'more fun': For myself part of the appeal of Seiko and GS has always been the straightforwardness. Rolex comes with so much baggage. Not sure I want to know where the GS brand goes now.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 25th March 2017 at 13:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post

Re the 'more fun': For myself part of the appeal of Seiko and GS has always been the straightforwardness. Rolex comes with so much baggage. Not sure I want to know where the GS brand goes now.
    Interesting observation that - they did feel like a day off flaunting luxury logos, it was almost a relief. But all brands bring their own baggage and preconceptions, including the Seiko logo itself. Hard to say how they will be perceived now, it depends on how much awareness they can build about the brand story and price point, how much they can differentiate from Seiko. Without that marketing push, people may assume it's 'just a Seiko' after all, that's trying hard to look like something 'better'.

I do think the GMT with the new branding looks good though, as does the Snowflake spring drive. They're not on their website oddly, and haven't been featured at the Baselworld launch as they are not new models exactly, but they are all over their adverts, and they do I think look better with the new branding - dare I say 'classier'?

Last edited by Itsguy; 25th March 2017 at 14:32.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I've had plenty of people checking out my GS, looking intrigued that I have such a flashy looking or expensive watch, but then when they spot the Seiko logo they look away and relax. Usually someone wearing a Patek, Rolex or Omega.
    And that is why GS appeal to me. All the quality but without the high street brand awareness. A watch only for people interested in watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Strong pricing and they'll be loads cheaper in Japan I expect. In fact easily enough of a difference to buy a cheap flight to Tokyo (£500) and a couple of nights in a cheap hotel (£200). Flagship store in Ginza and but it from it's home turf :-)
    And they have one in the window already, I just walked past today and took a look. With Basel-something sign next to it, so maybe just a sample.

I enjoy reading your posts Itsguy. They are well considered and persuasive, even though annoyingly I do generally end up agreeing with every word. My observation was shamelessly parochial and selfish, best kept secret and all that.
    The new branding is an improvement and something we here have advocated in the past.
    My GS purchases have lain at the limits of affordability, so there will be no more for me. I wish them every success.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 25th March 2017 at 18:18.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

Anyway I think they've missed a trick with the rebrand, given the prices they should have gone with 'Ten Grand Seiko'.
    LOL! Excellent!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The new branding is an improvement and something we here have advocated in the past.
    Well ´is´, no and no, in neither case unanimously.

Good from a marketing pov and for many an image buyer or those who simply like a cleaner dial, not so for those who LIKE the ´Seiko´ branding and/or the ´only a Seiko´ aspect. See above in this very thread!

And a big NoNo for some as to pricing. Again good marketing into the Veblen sector but not only so nor unanimously.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 25th March 2017 at 19:59.

Once you get bitten by the GS bug, they become addictive. Nothing else has the same sparkle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post

Good from a marketing pov and for many an image buyer or those who simply like a cleaner dial, not so for those who LIKE the ´Seiko´ branding and/or the ´only a Seiko´ aspect. See above in this very thread!

And a big NoNo for some as to pricing. Again good marketing into the Veblen sector but not only so nor unanimously.
    I happen to like the super high quality combined with "it's just a seiko". I don't always want to wear a Rolex, omega, IWC, etc - sometime a "just a seiko" is just right. Even so, that's probably not the niche that seiko wants their high end line to occupy.

Maybe I pick up one of "the citizen" models instead?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    And that is why GS appeal to me. All the quality but without the high street brand awareness. A watch only for people interested in watches.
    Definitely

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I happen to like the super high quality combined with "it's just a seiko".
    I find it such a personal pleasure to wear my 18K GS on just an average day. It is only a Seiko after all

Indeed Huertecilla. But then you have misrepresented a single sentence and exploited it as a pitch for your lectern.

My remark relates to the 'classier' reference made at the end of Post 76 and refers to the dial placement and styling of 'SEIKO' 'GS' and 'Grand Seiko'. Many here have observed it to be either confused or inelegant and advocated its overhaul. Considered as a stylistic device I maintain that the new configuration is an improvement over the old.

If you had considered my posts with the same attention you expect your own to receive, you would not have made this mistake.

Master
    You are probably correct.
    If you simply look at the watches for sale, 'boutique watches' are already at the expensive end of the mass offerings.
    The most sold are VERY low prices watches.
    Amazon, although obviously not the begin an end all, is a nice indication.

Back to GrandSeiko and prices it is noteworthy that production is about half that of PP and the hands on effort is comparable with this paragon of luxury watches, not with the automated mass produced Swiss 'competition'.
    This century Seiko sailed past Omega/Rolex with GS. It is just that on the whole Anglo Saxon wis are not yet willing to accept it.

P.s. At the very top end of their product range, Seiko are on par with Philippe Dufour and Laurent Ferrier. Albeit with more modern tech horology; at a higher plane of isochrony.
    You would hope so since Dufour himself was responsible for training the GS employees on polishing techniques etc GS case, hand finishing are definitely on par with the top swiss. However movement architecture and design i would not go that far yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanV View Post
    Date at 4 o'clock??? Granted, I'm not in the market, but that seems amateurish to me, on a $14k OR $400 watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Clearly Ap or VC will not be good enough for u either then!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Doubt it....

having said that i guess discounts will be generally more available in japan however.

Jura Watches have now listed the new GS models on their site for pre-order.

The limited edition hi beat diver is £10,000 and the regular production model is £9,500.

The ceramic spring drive chronographs are £14,000 and £15,000 for the limited edition.

The limited edition titanium dress watch with date (SBGR305) is £7,000.
    Too expensive for me & I love Seiko to bits.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Maybe I pick up one of "the citizen" models instead?
    There's not much forum love for them, but if you are thinking of quartz I can recommend the CTQ57-1202 (pics just for info purposes):

http://www.012.co.jp/citizen/the-cit...tq57-1202.html

This one doesn't have the Duratect or similar plating.
    It is as well finished as any of my GS. The CTQ57-1203 is another beauty.

Master
    I am a big fan, and I understand the need to market GS more strongly. But the size and price of the new dive watches is a disappointment... I think I would prefer the big new Rolex, which is slightly cheaper. Not that I will be buying either!
    The new 'classic' models are lovely, and I hope to have the basic stainless steel three-handed sometime this year. Just beautiful. My fourth Grand Seiko. Naughty. Assuming I can find the money.
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th March 2017 at 10:20.

Master
    There's not much forum love for them, but if you are thinking of quartz I can recommend the CTQ57-1202 (pics just for info purposes):

http://www.012.co.jp/citizen/the-cit...tq57-1202.html

This one doesn't have the Duratect or similar plating.
    It is as well finished as any of my GS. The CTQ57-1203 is another beauty.
    I saw a really nice comparison between the usual 37mm GS black dial quartz and a really similar looking quartz perpetual citizen in TI.

Seiko may be rebranding GS, but all the Japanese makers need to rethink their model designation. I'm into watches (really, probably too much) and I can't keep track of the million alpha numeric model names that they use.

On edit: it was the moderately weird looking Citizen AQ1010-54E
    Last edited by JP Chestnut; 26th March 2017 at 14:16.

Craftsman
    I am also a fan of GS, although some of the new watches are just too big for my taste.

Given the launch of the new GS range, it will be interesting to see what happens to the old ones in terms of it becoming collectible. Some retailers may discount the old range to make room for the new. Alternatively the old range may get dragged up along with the new price point - and some may prefer the old models and snap them up.

Sent from my SM-N910F using TZ-UK mobile app

Some beautiful photos of the new styled GS take on the vintage originals here,

https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/27560/click

It has the lovely granulated dial that I admired on the platinum spring drive although obviously could never afford.

However on the wrist it just looks huge. I still like the idea of the snowflake but worry that it will also look too large on me. At 40mm, an all dial watch is too much for me, especially with thin lugs which accentuates the size.

Seiko may be rebranding GS, but all the Japanese makers need to rethink their model designation. I'm into watches (really, probably too much) and I can't keep track of the million alpha numeric model names that they use.
    I like to think it's a quirky Japanese thing.
    You do need to take care when ordering though. One wrong digit can make the difference between a slim hand winder and a thumping great chrono (Orient Star).

Journeyman

The new Grand Seiko range... Prices amended

A couple of thoughts on all of this. The 'moving up market' and associated rises in price - fair enough great finishing above their current price point. However why would you pay more for the same thing. They should have increased the warranty or service intervals at the same time, something additional. As for the range its mind numbing. I've wanted one for a while but digesting the line up is technically a ball ache. They need to sort this out. Something the Japanese don't do particularly well. The evolution of their core models is a total mystery. One thing I hope they do with the extra cash is have more places where you actually see these. That would go a long way to convincing a lot more people of the quality in the product.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The more I look , the more the new pricing seems pretty ambitious. As a simple example, the limited edition 'classic' watch, 352, is £17000 in gold. That is for a straight three-handed. A JLC Master Control in gold, £12,000 (with date), a Rolex Cellini, gold, £11000. With longer guarantee and local stores to buy from. A 50% mark-up above Rolex?
    Grand Seiko has no real base in the UK. Many of us buy by mail. Even a single Boutique opening in London cannot transform this. The pricing seems more than the market will tolerate, and I speak as a fan. I just hope they have this right......

There's thread on WUS about a c.6% price rise in the US, this will be applied to all models as they are rebranded. New models unveiled at Baselworld already have the 6% factored-in and won't rise:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=4168330

Worth knowing if anyone was planning on ordering an existing model from the US to do so before it gets the new logo. I don't know whether we can expect similar treatment in the UK, though there was a recent price increase here, unlike the situation in the US.
    Last edited by AKM; 27th March 2017 at 16:07.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The more I look , the more the new pricing seems pretty ambitious. As a simple example, the limited edition 'classic' watch, 352, is £17000 in gold. That is for a straight three-handed. A JLC Master Control in gold, £12,000 (with date), a Rolex Cellini, gold, £11000. With longer guarantee and local stores to buy from. A 50% mark-up above Rolex?
    Yes, cool no, for only a Seiko :-)

Gone are the good old days when they could be discarded for being cheaper.