closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Basel 2017 releases?

Master

Your favourite Basel 2017 releases?

Some have seen it as quite a boring Basel, but it's really been a bit of a shake-up of the main brands, especially Rolex. I thought I'd write out my own thoughts so I can read them back next year and laugh at how wrong I probably got it all

For me, the new SD is something I like a lot. You have a new 70hr PR movement, the red text, and it's smaller than a DSSD which means it should just fit on a smallish wrist as long as the lug-to-lug is a couple of mm less than the Deep Sea. It's a massive shame the SD4000 has been discontinued but that's good for owners at least. It was always a classic in my eyes, and now it truly is.

The Sky-Dweller in steel could be my favourite watch. With Rolex, their non-professional models tend to be a 75-25% ratio with pro models, so whether this continues with the Sky-Dweller steel will be interesting. Hopefully it won't be as restricted in supply as the Daytona as I really would like to try one. I've wanted a Sky-Dweller since it came out but it's quite a large watch, had no lume on the dial and was of course very expensive. The steel fixes the lume and price, but the chunkiness will have to be seen; the PM Daytonas are thicker than the steel models so I hope the Sky-Dweller follows this.

There are also some new Day-Date 40 dials that appear to have slipped under the radar, but the new Date-justs still don't appeal to me for whatever reason. It's just a watch I never seem to like on the wrist, but I do when it's in a display window.

Another one that slipped under the radar is the YMii with mercedes hands...

Tudor. Yawn. This is the least exciting brand for me this year. The chrono has an interesting movement but then they went and styled it with a very tall case, round plots and snowflake hands. Nope. The Black Bay with a date is alright I suppose but it's a large, cumbersome looking thing and the date wheel would have been nicer matched to the dial colour. The BB41 is possibly interesting, but the two tone Black Bays look awful. I bought a two tone GMT the other day and love it, but the Black Bay really doesn't suit this design IMO.

I love the Patek Philippe blue dial Aquanaut 5168. However I hate that they've made it 42mm, which was just unnecessary. That model is all about elegance with a sporty undertone. The larger size will hamper the elegance for sure. There's also a blue model of the 5164 Travel Time but I'm not a fan of the cut-away dial, although I expect the level of finishing will look much better in reality than photos.

The Omega models are very interesting. Sure, not universally loved but I'm liking what they did overall, especially with the SM300. You can have the blue PO models though, and non-limited Rail Master models just look a little underwhelming, and I'm not sure which market they're aiming for. I'm sure they know more than me about this stuff though!

TAG Heuer have actually shown some nice new link models, and dare I admit that I think the camp models suit their current direction. I'm not saying I'd have one, but I think they have quite a wide range of ages that buy their products, and the came models will likely suit some of their younger buyers well. The Autavia is something we knew about for a long time, and I also showed a link here: TAG Heuer Autavia 2017 for pre-order? A few days ago but it didn't seem to have any response. I see it looks to be a popular release though and at the price from that link, it's even more interesting, although I think the size will be too large for most.

Breitling with all this Sky-Racer type stuff just naffs me off. What was once an interesting model range is now full of gimmicks IMO. The Navitimer rattrapante is okay but it's easily overwhelmed by releases from other manufacturers.

Porsche Design have released some awful looking things, and the Sinn chronos with faux lume are the only thing of any interest to myself from their stable, although I won't be buying one.

Blancpain released yet another LE in the right size, at 40mm, but it's not a nice enough design to get myself excited at least.

One thing I must state is how nice it is to see that it wasn't all about the dreaded smart watch. I really thought a few brands could be realising them this year, but really, we've seen TAG's attempt at making their absolutely massive Connected model a bit more fun, and Montblanc have come out with something you'd see in the palms of a lucky lucky man near "Marbs".
    Last edited by W44NNE; 23rd March 2017 at 01:57.

All very underwhelming.

Why have Tudor not developed the North Flag, i'm starting to think it might end up being dropped as it looks quite different to the rest of the watches.
    Overall it is a poor range of watches for sale and now it is going to be full of Black Bay variations. You can really tell they lost a key person to Montblanc, they have no idea what they are doing!

SD looks good, i'm young enough to not be too bothered about size and cyclops.
    Trying to persuade a pal to get the Sky-Dweller, looks interesting!

Looks like Oris have a couple of poor releases too. The redesigned Aquis range looks great now.. but the new Chronoris is a bit dull and there is an awful old looking thing too but it does have a nice watch roll type thing. Hopefully something cool will come from them.

Nomos have some bright colours but i still think they are too dressy for me.

What the bloody hell are Omega doing, utter rubbish. We do not want ceramic blue Planet Oceans. We want new stuff with no He valves please.
    Last edited by minkle; 23rd March 2017 at 01:55.

The Tudor Black Bay chronograph is growing on me slowly .

The Black Bay steel and gold is not as great value as it seems as only the first link each side is solid gold - the rest are gold capped.

The white gold Aquanaut is lovely but out of my price range .

Steel Skydweller is fab but again probably a little pricey for me .

One as yet not mentioned much is the Breitling Colt Skyracer a Superquartz with the Breightlight case - toolish and very legible if you need a quartz.

Are there any new Seiko Astron models ?

I like the DJ41, but am not entirely sure about the differences between the 116334 and the 126334. Could someone chime in with a comparison of the two?

For me the highlights are the Sea-dweller and the blue steel Sky-dweller. Really strong releases from Rolex. Not seen much news on the Sky-dweller yet but I think they are going to be strong sellers. I do find it odd that you can't get a steel day-date but you can an annual calendar with two time zones.

Tudor is a massive disappointment this year because yet again it's all about the Black Bay with all their other lines being neglected. The steel date is OK but the chronograph is a bit of a miss, despite the interesting Breitling derived movement. I'm a huge Tudor fan but really can't find anything to love recently.

Omega hit it out of the park with the triplet 60th anniversary watches. How much would I love the triple set? Tremendous effort. Also quite like some of the Speedmaster Racing Auto's. All the others. Nah, not for me.

That H. Moser and Cie steel sport watch with the blue fume dial was delicious! One can dream but it almost feels like that would be attainable one day.

The Oris vintage pilot 1917 is quite cool and I like the revamped Aquis range. Especially in blue on dark blue rubber. Not too sure of the Chronoris. I like it but how is it not an actual chronograph?

The Zenith EP21 is mental with the revamped TAG 1/100s movement. Biver hard at work already and good to see. Not my style but it reminds me why I love Zenith as brand. I'd love to see them do well.

The Breitling Navitimer Rattrapante is an interesting development. The watch is too big for me but it does look cool. Great things happening in the movement department though and evidently enough to have turned Tudors heads.

TAG is the surprise of the show for me. The camo Aquaracers are a cool novelty and I even like the new Link with it's similarity to that Piaget Polo S, if you squint without your glasses on in dim light. The Autavia is a real hit though. I'll be tempted with that one.

Loving the Seiko 62MAS limited reissue but I'd need to get lucky to bag one of those in due course. Quite limited given the size of the fan base and probably all called for already.

Not seen anything really strong from my two favourite Germans, Sinn and Nomos, however. The Club has gone in the right direction with it's sizing but they got the cali dial of the student model upside down and now I can't unsee it.

Not seen any news from Panerai and JLC yet though.

As usual a year of ups and downs, hits and misses. Roll on Basel 2018!
    Last edited by fordy964; 23rd March 2017 at 07:55.

I agree with Wayne that the best looking watch so far is the Sky Dweller. I am been a bit underwhelmed by everything else, particularly Omega, who in my opinion could have put a bit more effort in the anniversary limited editions. It's a shame they just copied the old designs almost like for like. I think they should have made them numbered editions instead and not bothered releasing some of their other non limited edition watches that look rather average (rail master).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A weird year this one. I agree the sky dweller will be a great release for masses to try an interesting watch.

Personal favourites are the 62MAS (which may be out of my price range) and the new GO chrono. Been waiting for one in steel, though the use of Roman numerals is a bit of an odd choice.

I think the SD could be good. Let's be honest people kept moaning about the SD4000 being too small, so beefing it up should be a winner....

Craftsman
    Tag was my first love before my tastes "developed" (mainly up the RRP Scale!) and I sold them all. The Autavia I love and at that price it won't hurt my bank balance to the same extent!.
    Have to say though I am tempted to save for a few more years to justify the purchase of the steel Skydweller
    I was looking forward to see the new Omega 60th releases, but at 38mm they are too small for my taste and wrists, shame I was too slow to register for Speedy Tuesday.

Master
    I personally got interested with the skydweller which was once for me a "no go" rolex now puts it into the price range. I might be in the minority but i actually like the Vlancpain limited edition finally st 40mm is wearable!

Master
    This will be going on my list of stuff I could actually get ....

Last edited by I a n; 23rd March 2017 at 09:24.

Master
    Vintage look Seamaster for me. Forget the pics and check one out in a video, beautiful.

I feel like I am really out of tune with popular taste, preferring simpler classic designs in 36mm to 40mm. Oh well there are always vintage watches...

Master
    Favourite, although for me completely unobtainable, PP 5372P

Have always liked the Skydweller just not the precious metals. So this in SS I have an interest in.

And i know a lot on here think its sacrilege but i really like the look of the 126600

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Vintage look Seamaster for me. Forget the pics and check one out in a video, beautiful.
    Agreed, watched the video this morning and was love at second sight, the rendered pics certainly don't do it justice.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches.../1957-trilogy/

I'd say the Hermès L’Heure Impatiente, at the moment, closely followed by the Akrivia AK-06. The stripped back version of the Faberge lady Compliquee Black Peacock is also quite lovely.

I'd be interested to see the new IWC Ingy PC.
    Last edited by Broussard; 23rd March 2017 at 13:11. Reason: More watches added

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I feel like I am really out of tune with popular taste, preferring simpler classic designs in 36mm to 40mm. Oh well there are always vintage watches...
    Cheer yourself up with a look at the new Grand Seiko watches. Grand Seiko is finally an independent brand. With 'Seiko' dropped from the dial. Utterly beautiful, classic, new releases. For me, they really show where Rolex has chosen a very different path .
    Of course my three GS models are now 'old' but I would never sell them anyway. I think GS are about to become a really serious challenge to other prestige brands.

I like the way that Rolex left a gap in the Skydweller range for Basel 2018 - Everose and Steel TT. As and when that is launched I'd be keen to add it to my collection.

Of the 2017 Rolex releases there are two/three that I'm keen to buy and see up close and personal. The Skydweller range now caters for everyone that can carry off the heft of the watch itself....I've always enjoyed having a Skydweller on my wrist but as a precious metal watch and on bracelet it's one heck of a lump so S/S (+WG) should work really well.

Master
    Nothing to get remotely interested about for me. Rolex were always going to stimulate sales by juggling specs and product codes to get the Rolexophiles excited and queuing up at their friendly distributor, but for the general public it doesn't mean much. I fear that Rolex fans are getting a bit like Apple fans nowadays - musthaves.

Omega are doing the same design shuffles, only they seem to have run out of ideas (again).

There are no influential designs coming forward, little innovation, no discernible trends - just a few mid-term makeovers.

Very unimpressed with the Rolex offering. I preferred the YMII in its previous guise and I'm not sure why the changes were needed just to fit a unique piece in with the rest of the sport range. The steel Skydweller is probably a plus but I'm confused by the SD. I've always liked it because it was that little bit different and was a proper tool watch. There is no need for a cyclops, how many times has someone gone on a dive and thought "I wish I could read the date a bit easier." The only reason that I can see for the size increase and cyclops is to boost sales of this tool watch to people who want it as a fashion accessory. Does that make it a fashion watch?
    The two releases that do it for me are the Heuer Autavia, but not at that price for a Tag, and the Zenith El Primero 21.

Master
    Perhaps the most interesting development is the growing consensus around 38mm-ish as a sensible mid-size - or 40mm with a tool bezel. The most interesting watch might just be the Longines VHP, not for the watch itself which is oversized and a bit cheap looking in wrist shots, but for the +/-5 sp/y perpetual calendar high accuracy quartz movement, which could yet make it into a better sized and better looking watch. A classic looking, well sized high accuracy perpetual quartz with a half decent Swiss brand on the dial is potentially game changing, but we'll have to wait for it to be styled right. Runner up is the Black Bay steel.

Otherwise this year feels characterised by caution, a lack of ideas, and a lack of investment. It makes me wonder where the watch world is going, after a heady decade. Rolex have forgotten how to make the Datejust, they can't work out the proportions (please consult the back catalogue), or the size (please consult Omega). Omega have missed the chance to seize their Railmaster moment, and create an Explorer competitor, getting lost down memory lane instead. They've tinkered with the Aqua Terra, a good watch but they never could work out what to do with the date window and the centre links. Blancpain point blank refuse to just make a 40mm FF Bathyscape that looks like the one people actualy like. GS have gone for the re-brand but without offering a new model to really drool over - platinum first GS, I suppose, but who will buy it? IWC could have refined the Ingenieur 40mm but introduced some ugly ducklings instead at Goodwood. There's just not that one really great release this year that we can collectively get excited about it seems. We don't ask much, just a picture that makes you go, 'Ooh now that is nice!'

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Cheer yourself up with a look at the new Grand Seiko watches. Grand Seiko is finally an independent brand. With 'Seiko' dropped from the dial. Utterly beautiful, classic, new releases. For me, they really show where Rolex has chosen a very different path .
    Of course my three GS models are now 'old' but I would never sell them anyway. I think GS are about to become a really serious challenge to other prestige brands.
    Quite agree! I actually have a GS Snowflake on order, so I wonder whether I get the new badging (which I do somewhat prefer) or end up with one of the old-style ones!?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    Quite agree! I actually have a GS Snowflake on order, so I wonder whether I get the new badging (which I do somewhat prefer) or end up with one of the old-style ones!?
    Surely you can speak to the dealer and confirm which dial you want?

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Surely you can speak to the dealer and confirm which dial you want?
    I will try, but as they are due to get a new batch whenever Seiko provide it, I rather doubt I will be given an option, especially as I am paying at the pre-price-increase (less 10%) value.

Master
    I'm also quite impressed with the steel Sky-Dweller, which is a surprise to me as I've never been slightly interested in the PM ones. I think the price and that blue dial are what makes the difference.

Bit concerned about the thickness though, from what I understand it wears pretty large, but I could be tempted by that blue dialled one...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post

The "old" branding production stops and the "new" starts in May

From what I've seen, this is my favourite.

I really like the Tudor Black Bay Steel. Looking forward to seeing this in real life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    From what I've seen, this is my favourite.

I like that one, but I'd like it a lot more of the date wheels matched the dial. It's too jarring as is.

Craftsman
    I love the smaller pillar box red Nomos Ahoi. Wonderful. And yes, I am a big kid

Craftsman

Your favourite Basel 2017 releases?

[IMG]
    https://hodinkee.imgix.net/uploads/images/1489847894649-site1l5lupz5gnuk-bf62822bda42d3d596dcd601b4d88a45/ahoi_01.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by jeepie; 23rd March 2017 at 19:47.

The 60th anniversary Speedy is the only watch that I like this year and I'm not even sure about that one!

In previous years there have been many more watches that piqued my interest. The prices are starting to scare me now too. Maybe I'm just getting older.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 23rd March 2017 at 21:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    The 60th anniversary Speedy is the only watch that I like this year and I'm not even sure about that one!

In previous years there have been many more watches that piqued my interest. The prices are starting to scare me now too. Maybe I'm just getting older.
    I felt that prices were actually coming down? This year even Omega watches are being released in the lower range (tho the weak £ doesn't help) but many brands are releasing lower price point watches. Albeit cutting corners like nontransparent case backs printed dials etc

I think the Omega Trilogy set is nicely done, if the vintage look is your thing. The RailMaster at 40mm is better than I first thought, although unnecessarily vintage in feel.

Grand Seiko looks to be doing impressive things, but I haven't looked in detail. Rolex disappointing, although the SkyDweller is good, if it's your kind of watch. Tudor was desperately disappointing, other than the potential price point for a B01 based movement

Dave

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    This will be going on my list of stuff I could actually get ....

How much is this one, I like that a lot

Having looked at GS, it has to be this:

Dave

Master
    Other than the Seamaster 300, anyone see the Sinn 240 st gt? Really liking that too.

See from 1:57

https://youtu.be/9L3SDc4Cwvo

Really like this update
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BSBLmv_AP_T/

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Agreed, watched the video this morning and was love at second sight, the rendered pics certainly don't do it justice.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches.../1957-trilogy/
    Loved the video. Anyone know what that music is?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Loved the video. Anyone know what that music is?
    Lights by Catalynx according to Shazam

Edit: doesn't seem right listening to it though.
    Last edited by Rob777; 24th March 2017 at 19:59. Reason: Poor Shazam-fu

Master
    Very keen on this, silver panda dial, WG, and on oysterflex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Very keen on this, silver panda dial, WG, and on oysterflex.

Yeah love that too but price is eye watering :(

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Yeah love that too but price is eye watering :(

£21,050 I think

So, real world, it's £17k-£18k?? Value compared to PP, for example, of course...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    £21,050 I think

So, real world, it's £17k-£18k?? Value compared to PP, for example, of course...
    When compared to which Patek though Gareth?

Only sort of comparable is 5712g which wilst being more expensive is fundamentally a vastly superior watch.

Craftsman
    I like the Oris Chronoris Date best.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I felt that prices were actually coming down? This year even Omega watches are being released in the lower range (tho the weak £ doesn't help) but many brands are releasing lower price point watches. Albeit cutting corners like nontransparent case backs printed dials etc

Really? Care to share any examples. The trilogy are £5-6K each and the ugly non LE Railmaster is circa £4-5K so not exactly pocket change IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Really? Care to share any examples. The trilogy are circa £5K and the ugly non LE Railmaster is circa £4K so not exactly pocket change IMO.
    I just did. But for us i think it's not cheaper but that's not the brands fault. For us UK residents everything is more expensive but many blogs seems to be making a big deal of "value for money" including the omega railmaster and also the nomos. Even Xenith has announced that they cut the price on their heritage chronograph they are about to release. Watch companies definitely conscious of the weak market.

Master
    Fair enough. That Hodinkee article is gushing to the point of sycophancy over a decidedly average looking watch. It has been suggested that this indicates that there will be Hodinkee Omega LE at some point this year hence their pushing of the brand despite the watch in question's obvious shortcomings.

I would have to say the new SD, Skydwellers in SS,Seiko 62MAS and the Grand Seiko diver.

Poor photo, but I want this Corum Bubble LED...

Journeyman
    The new 41mm blue DJ and the skydweller