closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Skydwellers

Can't say I like the bezel and cyclops always look awful to me.

Interesting movement though.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Came across a profile photo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Came across a profile photo

When the first shots of the steel and two tone ones came out I thought they looked a touch slimmed down and that photo keeps me wondering. It certainly looks slimmer than my recollection of the PM models...

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Any idea when these SkyDs will be reaching ADs?
    I am (second) on a waiting list and was told September, if that helps?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    When the first shots of the steel and two tone ones came out I thought they looked a touch slimmed down and that photo keeps me wondering. It certainly looks slimmer than my recollection of the PM models...
    I am of the same opinion. I tried on a YG when that model first came out, and I am sure that had greater depth to the case and bezel combo.

Not the best pic but a YG model side profile

Master
    Very difficult from the pics. The two tone looks like it might have a shallower caseback but that could be as a result of the photo angles rather than reality.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I am (second) on a waiting list and was told September, if that helps?
    Thanks Thom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The dealer I've asked for one seems to have gone a little funny on me and has said he thinks they will be really limited production at first.
    He has asked me if I'm going to flip it. Im pretty sure this means I'm not going to get an early one from them which is disappointing. I don't keep watches long but I've never bought a new Rolex before so it's not like I have had his pants down on buying the Hot watches and flipping them.

I think he might be winding me up as I know him personally. Will have to see how it plays out
    Last edited by bigweb; 29th March 2017 at 14:45.

Master
    Genuine question - how come they are so expensive (relatively speaking)?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    They seem relatively cheap to me! ;-)

Relative to the precious metal version, I mean.

Master
    Relative to what? The dssd with a half blue dial?

Master
    The movement and because they are

Master

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    So glad I have five on order, all in pole position! Complete blox.

Very difficult from the pics. The two tone looks like it might have a shallower caseback but that could be as a result of the photo angles rather than reality.
    Via Instagram I asked the owner of a WG Skydweller not unknown in these parts what the thickness is like. He described it thus: far thicker than the Daytona and SubC, but not DSSD territory. He also sent another greeting to you all which I'm not going to risk posting on WT 😆

edit: He also says the picture of the new two tone above looks exactly like his PM, no change to the case.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 29th March 2017 at 20:46.

Woah 15k!! I'm sure it will be easily available

This is a useful comparison- there's one comparing to the Daytona as well: http://robsrolexchronicle.blogspot.c...ea-vs.html?m=1

Thickness is 14.1mm according to this piece from last year: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...d-modern-rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    So glad I have five on order, all in pole position! Complete blox.
    Haha the delivery is in 6 - 12 months. I doubt that margin is any close to being realistic.

On a side note, my Rolex AD said the wait list on the new SD is far longer than the skydweller.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    This is a useful comparison- there's one comparing to the Daytona as well: http://robsrolexchronicle.blogspot.c...ea-vs.html?m=1

I just found this unusually clear youtube clip on how the bezel and crown work:

Last edited by Der Amf; 29th March 2017 at 22:05.

Master
    AD made enquiries on my behalf and confirms case depth is unchanged from PM versions.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    AD made enquiries on my behalf and confirms case depth is unchanged from PM versions.
    Useful intel. Thanks.

Master
    Relatively speaking they are cheap as chips (depending on what you relate them to).
    Last edited by cmcm3; 29th March 2017 at 22:01.

Master

Service Cost

Just been confirmed by Rolex Service Centre the cost of service is £650 including VAT

Now that seems VFM along with the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Just been confirmed by Rolex Service Centre the cost of service is £650 including VAT

Splendid news on both fronts. I will have the person that told me that a Skydweller service was £1,900 flogged with a damp copy of "Sporting Times"......

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Great news. Thanks for checking that out. My AD is saying late May/early June for the first models to arrive in the UK. He is hoping to get some of the first but Rolex are playing down expectations due to the scarcity of movements. We'll see! I'm keeping everything crossed as I think they look great.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Great news. Thanks for checking that out. My AD is saying late May/early June for the first models to arrive in the UK. He is hoping to get some of the first but Rolex are playing down expectations due to the scarcity of movements. We'll see! I'm keeping everything crossed as I think they look great.
    I'm guessing we have the same AD as he said the same to me about the movements

Mines in Crewe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    First in late May.

Craftsman
    I was in WOS's Rolex Boutique today. I've been told the following:

- They expect the first pieces to come in late Apr/May.
    - From Sea-Dweller they'll have 1 pcs/month (maybe 2 pcs later).
    - From new Sky-Dweller they'll expect only 1-2 pcs/model/year.
    - They'll have an event on the 3rd of May, when all the new models will be available to see in flesh and try them on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    - From new Sky-Dweller they'll expect only 1-2 pcs/model/year.
    Rolex really do know how to do scarcity. Well, in the UK at least. I bet allocations will be larger in other markets.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Rolex really do know how to do scarcity. Well, in the UK at least. I bet allocations will be larger in other markets.
    I've asked them if they know anything about the pricing in Europe, because if the pricing was adjusted to the current exchange rate, only for the new releases, then it'd be easier to source. Ofc no clue, but been suggested to call Rolex in Switzerland :)

Master
    To be honest from a business point it makes sense as they make more money from them abroad. I am actually really excited about the Sky Dweller and it is a bargain when you compare what it brings.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Interesting, but I think availability will not be a problem on these steel variants.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yup, I was in Miami earlier this year, strolled into a Rolex store asked the same question I always ask - "do you have a Hulk or BLNR" expecting a straight up no. I was flabbergasted when they said that they have one coming in tomorrow and I can have it. Not the usual 30 person waiting list that I'm used to in central London. Unfortunately I was flying out the same day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Yup, I was in Miami earlier this year, strolled into a Rolex store asked the same question I always ask - "do you have a Hulk or BLNR" expecting a straight up no. I was flabbergasted when they said that they have one coming in tomorrow and I can have it. Not the usual 30 person waiting list that I'm used to in central London. Unfortunately I was flying out the same day.
    Same thing happened to me, but in Florida and with the D-Blue. They've had 3 pcs on stock the day before, but I can have one in 1-2 weeks.

Master
    I've never had a problem getting a hulk or BLNR in Florida at various AD's - problem is that they were about the same price as in the UK when the Dollar was around $1.50 to the £. On top of that you had to pay sales tax which is around 6% and higher in some areas. On top of that you are 'supposed' to declare it on return which is more tax. Never been worth it.

Caribbean used to be the best place to buy watches as it is tax and duty free. Best deal I saw (and I stupidly passed on it) was TWO deep sea blue's in Bridgetown Barbados and they were around £7,400 from memory! Again though you are supposed to declare on entry to the UK. I'm not sure but think it's 20% tax.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987 View Post
    Haha the delivery is in 6 - 12 months. I doubt that margin is any close to being realistic.

On a side note, my Rolex AD said the wait list on the new SD is far longer than the skydweller.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Mine said the same, which I am a little amazed about given the cyclops....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    I thought that about the white gold SKD but in fairness white gold has always been to some people more about it being under the radar than flashy blingy.

But give me bling anytime LOL.

I like the SS Skydweller I may get one of them instead.
    I luckily sold my WG Skydweller on strap 2 weeks before the release .i took a relatively small hit but suspect that particular model will tank a bit now......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASD25 View Post
    Mine said the same, which I am a little amazed about given the cyclops....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I reckon the cyclops issue isn't as big a deal as a lot of people are making it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I've never had a problem getting a hulk or BLNR in Florida at various AD's - problem is that they were about the same price as in the UK when the Dollar was around $1.50 to the £. On top of that you had to pay sales tax which is around 6% and higher in some areas. On top of that you are 'supposed' to declare it on return which is more tax. Never been worth it.

Caribbean used to be the best place to buy watches as it is tax and duty free. Best deal I saw (and I stupidly passed on it) was TWO deep sea blue's in Bridgetown Barbados and they were around £7,400 from memory! Again though you are supposed to declare on entry to the UK. I'm not sure but think it's 20% tax.
    If you paid local tax then surely you don't need to declare it and get taxed again?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    If you paid local tax then surely you don't need to declare it and get taxed again?
    Yes you do When you come back into this country. It's something like VAT at 20%. Over the years there's been loads of threads on watch forums over the do I don't I declare on return. Of course all TZ'ers do

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    I'm surprised how many people are putting names down to buy this watch without even trying it on... Personally I think its a bit OTT and ugly
    Best summed-up for me by the remark of a friend when he saw on at the local ADs, ''ugh, what is that thing.' I know aesthetics are personal, but really......no wonder it has been a sales flop. Maybe that will change now. Maybe.
    It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. If Rolex are hunting for business a steel Day-Date would really sell well. Much better looking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Best summed-up for me by the remark of a friend when he saw on at the local ADs, ''ugh, what is that thing.' I know aesthetics are personal, but really......no wonder it has been a sales flop. Maybe that will change now. Maybe.
    It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. If Rolex are hunting for business a steel Day-Date would really sell well. Much better looking.
    The contrasting 24h disk is pretty "distinctive", to put it nicely. The SS version lacks contrast, and looks much better for it.

I'm interested to see how the bracelet makes a difference on the wrist vs the leather strap. For me the white faced version could be the pick of the bunch and look forward to trying one on.
    Last edited by tiny73; 2nd April 2017 at 18:18. Reason: lick of the bunch?

Very informative thread

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joethetoe View Post
    I luckily sold my WG Skydweller on strap 2 weeks before the release .i took a relatively small hit but suspect that particular model will tank a bit now......
    Can't see why as none of the other precious counterparts have. A gold sub is 2.5 times the price of its steel equivalent so a precious metal SkyD will be the same and always be a very desirable piece. Plus if you want the bland batons and lack of 'feel' when wearing it then it's very good at £10k. If you have found yourself drawn to or enjoy a Datejust2 then you will love this watch.

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

I like it, but then I liked it in gold. I'm sure a lot of people saying nice things about this release are the same people who said not so nice things about the pm versions ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Well I thought they took the black and blue sky dweller off the Rolex site. But it's back on now strange could not find it this morning

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bokbok; 3rd April 2017 at 16:52.