closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Skydwellers

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Was in my AD today and according to the "big Rolex book of prices", the current price of a service on a SkyDweller is £680.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    They produce a cheap SS version for the masses and they moan about the price of a service. 1900 quid for The flagship AC movement is quite reasonable the command bezel is a joy to operate.

Don't moan to much or it will be known as the poor-mans skydweller.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    If any Skydweller owner finds a £680 service embarrassingly cheap, I'm very happy to be a middle man and promise to charge £1900. At least.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If any Skydweller owner finds a £680 service embarrassingly cheap, I'm very happy to be a middle man and promise to charge £1900. At least.
    £680 that's giving it away, bloody good value these skydwellers.

5 years to save for it as well.

Journeyman
    Working in the Middle East at the moment. In general most website out here are less than informative.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    £680 that's giving it away, bloody good value these skydwellers.

5 years to save for it as well.

There is something up here. The new Skydwellers are just too good to be true. What have we missed?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scorchio View Post
    Working in the Middle East at the moment. In general most website out here are less than informative.

Ah, understood. U.K. Rolex website is all priced up.

Master
    Now to sods law.

I really like these in blue and i think they are great VFM if a 10k watch can be VFM.

But does every Tom Dick and Harry buy one decide they don't like it and loads end up on SC for a few grand less than retail price

OR

Are they going to be so hard to get hold off that they sell for well above retail price and i've missed out because i am not on the list at my friendly local AD.

Another first world problem to ponder over the next few days.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Now to sods law.

I really like these in blue and i think they are great VFM if a 10k watch can be VFM.

But does every Tom Dick and Harry buy one decide they don't like it and loads end up on SC for a few grand less than retail price

OR

Are they going to be so hard to get hold off that they sell for well above retail price and i've missed out because i am not on the list at my friendly local AD.

Another first world problem to ponder over the next few days.
    That's exactly the problem I had. Put myself on a couple of lists anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    They produce a cheap SS version for the masses and they moan about the price of a service. 1900 quid for The flagship AC movement is quite reasonable the command bezel is a joy to operate.

Don't moan to much or it will be known as the poor-mans skydweller.

The price is actually 680gpb. Twice the price of a patek service is, indeed, worth "moaning" about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    There is something up here. The new Skydwellers are just too good to be true. What have we missed?
    The impending implosion of the luxury want segment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    The price is actually 680gpb. Twice the price of a patek service is, indeed, worth "moaning" about.

According to the PP website an AC service is around 850gbp.

Master
    According to the PP website an AC service is around 850gbp.
    2x850gbp =1900gbp, the erroneous price that this person was suggesting was reasonable.

Master
    2x850gbp =1900gbp, the erroneous price that this person was suggesting was reasonable.
    If you say so

Craftsman
    If you say so
    some good maths there 850 x 2 = 1900

Master
    After watching a couple of reviews, the steel model is indeed very nice. It will be interesting to see how well these do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    some good maths there 850 x 2 = 1900

I understand the correct parlance in the US of A is math dear sir.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

And in the good old U of K, we call it arithmetic

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Fair enough if I lived in the USA but unfortunately it's just a holiday destination for me

Blog Entries
    The impending implosion of the luxury want segment.
    Hah, indeed, this is how Rolex does price reductions, isn't it.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 27th March 2017 at 11:29.

Master
    Fancy one of these but too big for my taste. Shame.

Master
    http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-sk...ne-steel-gold/

Dismissed this when it came out as too expensive but the cheapest model is really nice. that trick movement and the watch will look good on a nice leather or crocodile strap makes it a v.wearable watch. Giving it the DJ look makes it for me stealthy and less 'shouty'. Can't really see the value of the steel model dropping that much compared to the pm versions
    Last edited by mrushton; 27th March 2017 at 11:12.

Master
    I see Federer has already received his steel SkyDweller!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSEZYaNhB5P/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    I see Federer has already received his steel SkyDweller!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSEZYaNhB5P/
    That blue innerdial is superb. Hadnt seen that 'batman' option. This is looking more like THE Rolex for 2017
    Last edited by mrushton; 27th March 2017 at 14:06.

Craftsman
    Not a Batman as such, his is the blue dial version with blue GMT ring. The dial looks darker on his instagram due to the lighting and camera.

I tried a white gold one this morning when I was picking up a GMT from my AD. It wasn't as chunky as I feared for 42mm, and I'm heading back to try the blue and black dial Skydwellers when he has stock in a couple of months. I think they look great, but unlikely to end up with long waiting lists so I was in no rush to put my name down.
    Last edited by nellyh; 27th March 2017 at 13:41.

Absolutely love that blue dial. Wish it was a smaller watch though... 42mm is too big for me or I'd be all over this.

Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    Have you seen how you set the thing up?
    The genius of the 9001 movement is the simplicity of its design; the annual calendar mechanism uses very few components to do the job. As with the 4130 chronograph movement, they've put substantial effort into making one clever part do the job of many, which is far more difficult than most non-watchmakers appreciate.

The payoff is that it's as reliable as any other Rolex movement, and that the robust AC mechanism can be adjusted at any time without damage — even backward, and using a brilliant bezel-actuated setting mechanism that eliminates fiddly pushers. Plus it's not terribly complicated in parts count, which is a very good thing. (I find it funny how some companies try to impress the naïve by touting the number of movement components as if more are desirable.)

While I'm not a massive fan of the watch's looks, I do have huge respect for its technical innovation and refinement.

Master
    WANT. ON. WRIST. NOOOOOWWWWWWWW....

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    WANT. ON. WRIST. NOOOOOWWWWWWWW....
    Jup looking like an awesome watch!!! Now blue or black....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by submorstua View Post
    Absolutely love that blue dial. Wish it was a smaller watch though... 42mm is too big for me or I'd be all over this.
    Been to try on one. Wears smaller on a leather strap but still a big watch.Very imposing. I tried an Everose with a grey dial where (in the shop) the numbers became indistinguishable against the face. The batons would work better. Interest free may be the way fwd for me but prob a strap not the bracelet
    Last edited by mrushton; 27th March 2017 at 15:48.

Master
    I wonder if these watches will be in plentiful supply or limited like a BLNR?

I cant imagine a normal non watch person jumping all over these like they would a BLNR.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post

I cant imagine a normal non watch person jumping all over these like they would a BLNR.
    Probably quite the opposite. The DateJust is by far and away Rolex's biggest seller. Simply blows the tool watches out of the watch in terms of sales. The BLNR only sells like hot cakes as enthusiasts are chasing them down and supply is relatively slow.

The question is, will people pay a £6k premium over an equivalent DateJust - after all the layman won't appreciate the movement of the SkyDweller.

^
    Indeed, I can assure you that they won't restrict the supply of these at all; they'll be rather easy to come by through the dealer network for anyone who has the cash.

As far as why the average punter might pay over 50% more than the equivalent steel Datejust: it's bigger and fancier. The movement really is brilliant, though. :)

I love the blue faced one! Sure to be popular.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Probably quite the opposite. The DateJust is by far and away Rolex's biggest seller. Simply blows the tool watches out of the watch in terms of sales. The BLNR only sells like hot cakes as enthusiasts are chasing them down and supply is relatively slow.

The question is, will people pay a £6k premium over an equivalent DateJust - after all the layman won't appreciate the movement of the SkyDweller.
    Its a £3700 premium, like for like, 41/42mm steel and white gold on Oyster. A fairly tiny premium for an annual calendar complication by most standards. Doesn't mean I think everyone will buy Sky Dwellers instead, but it's not a huge jump if you understand a bit about watches or just have plenty of dough.

Personally, I'd aspire to own an annual calendar from one of the major watch brands followed, perhaps in the future, by a perpetual calendar. The price point for the steel (with white gold bezel) Sky-Dweller seems to be a good one compared to other stainless steel offerings from other brands. I was thinking about the PP 5960 with the black dial but that is £37k. Before anyone asks, I know that the two aren't directly comparable and I totally get what PP offers (which is why I love my white dialled 5711). But an annual calendar from Rolex for just over £10k seems like very good value for money in my opinion.

Master
    If you say so
    Ha! Too much cold medicine. I actually have a degree in math(s).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Personally, I'd aspire to own an annual calendar from one of the major watch brands followed, perhaps in the future, by a perpetual calendar. The price point for the steel (with white gold bezel) Sky-Dweller seems to be a good one compared to other stainless steel offerings from other brands. I was thinking about the PP 5960 with the black dial but that is £37k. Before anyone asks, I know that the two aren't directly comparable and I totally get what PP offers (which is why I love my white dialled 5711). But an annual calendar from Rolex for just over £10k seems like very good value for money in my opinion.
    ^^^^^^Exactly.👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post

There will be an initial wait but I suspect it WONT be a SeaDweller wait. Mappin and Webb had 5 of the pm ones at suitably high prices but it really does look similar to a DJ but that complication looks fantastic. No pushers or extra winders. have a look at it on the Rolex site. Using the fluted bezel as the controller is genius. Someone said it's a £680 service which equates to £136 a year or 2.61 a week. I know in 5 years that cost will rise but then how many of us keep our watches 5 years. M&W couldn't tell me what the credit terms are yet. Still a big chunk of metal though. Worth going to your AD and trying one.

^
    True.

One thing, though: If you service a modern Rolex every five years, you're not only throwing money out of the window, but you're also likely to do more harm than good to the movement. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    ^
    True.

One thing, though: If you service a modern Rolex every five years, you're not only throwing money out of the window, but you're also likely to do more harm than good to the movement. :)
    Even better, call it 8 years and it's down to just over £80 per year or under £2 a week

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Even better, call it 8 years and it's down to just over £80 per year or under £2 a week
    I enjoy man maths. At the point something goes less than £5 a week I mentally move it into my "Effectively Free" category.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I enjoy man maths. At the point something goes less than £5 a week I mentally move it into my "Effectively Free" category.
    Or a cheap cup of coffee at least!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Jup looking like an awesome watch!!! Now blue or black....
    Indeed.... blue or black. Both look fab. I actually love the Two Tone Black and have never looked twice at a two tone before.

Craftsman
    Any idea when these SkyDs will be reaching ADs?

My AD is going to let me know after his meeting with Rolex tomorrow. Will report back when I hear more. I

Fairly complicated Rolex at this price point, and friggin good looking to boot. What's not to like ? Not really sure what'd compete, given your wrists are up for 42mm. Guessing value retention will be decent too, compared to many other watches with similar price.

I was just thinking of where the price for this fits into the rest of Rolex's range, and into the market. Is this the only steel model, to ignore the bit of gold in the bezel, that is above £10,000? [Edit: no, as pointed out below...] Perception of five figures being a ceiling to be broken through I suppose has been nicely sidestepped by dealers' prices for the Daytona? (Also, having got used to the PM prices for it, the perspective is one of seeing that it is 20k less than 30k, rather than 10k more than nothing.)

The price is significantly more than the Omegas that offer some of the Sky Dwellers functionality: the AT with Annual Calendar is about £5500, the AT with GMT is a similar price. The Globemaster Annual Calendar is a bit over £6000, and only on leather. £6k + GMT function + bracelet + Rolex = £10k.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 28th March 2017 at 11:30.

I was just thinking of where the price for this fits into the rest of Rolex's range, and into the market. Is this the only steel model (ignoring the bit of gold in the bezel) that is above £10,000? Perception of five figures being a ceiling to be broken through I suppose has been nicely sidestepped by dealers' prices for the Daytona? (Also, having got used to the PM prices for it, the perspective is one of seeing that it is 20k less than 30k, rather than 10k more than nothing.)

The price is significantly more than the Omegas that offer some of the Sky Dwellers functionality: the AT with Annual Calendar is about £5500, the AT with GMT is a similar price. The Globemaster Annual Calendar is a bit over £6000, and only on leather. £6k + GMT function + bracelet + Rolex = £10k.
    It's actually the second above with the SS YMII being the most expensive at £13,700

Can imagine the way things are going the SS Daytona and DSSD will be joining them soon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Fairly complicated Rolex at this price point, and friggin good looking to boot. What's not to like ? Not really sure what'd compete, given your wrists are up for 42mm. Guessing value retention will be decent too, compared to many other watches with similar price.
    Review of the pm ones to recap. I tried the Everose yesterday and the strap does make the watch 'smaller' compared to the bracelet models the shop had. Don't know if the SS will be on a strap but no shortage of those aftermarket

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...d-modern-rolex

^
    True.

I have just taken my 16710 into St James Square for its first service since I bought it new in 2004!!
    It's never missed a beat.

Comparing a purpose-built, integrated Rolex annual calendar movement to an ETA with a module isn't exactly lile-to-like, though; the Omega is cheaper for a reason.

£6k + GMT function + bracelet + Rolex = £10k.
    Comparing a purpose-built, integrated Rolex annual calendar movement to an ETA with a module isn't exactly like-to-like, though; the Omega is cheaper for a reason.
    Do you think that by "+ Rolex" I was referring only to the surface of the dial, and not anything underneath it?