closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Road cyclists - bike light advice needed

Master

Road cyclists - bike light advice needed

Hi TZ road cycling fraternity, I need some advice on bike lights, specifically rear lights. The GF has a Lezyne Hecto Drive rear light but it has gone bang and doesn't work anymore. She has an amazon voucher and would like me to get her a good one. She is not the typical cyclist when it comes to equipment (she barely knows what brand bike she has...) and I don't know the first thing about bike stuff.

Budget is around £30 and battery life, mud/water protection and brightness are all factors high on her list. She cycles around 5 miles each way to work.

Thanks in advance!

Master
    I currently use Moon lights (metor front and comet on the rear). Both great and not too expensive. I live in Cumbria where it rains....a lot and have had no problems at all with them.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for Moon... USB-chargeable from a laptop when at work, very bright, and relatively inexpensive.

I use one of these on my road bike, even during daylight hours during the winter. Extremely bright and visible. I thought I got a good deal at £6, but for £3.... On the front I have a Cateye on constant and a Fenix torch that takes 1 AAA on strobe mounted via a Fenix block.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I use one of these:

As it runs on AAA batteries, is very waterproof and bright even when on the flashing mode that uses least power...

http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/TL-LD610/

Master
    Send the Lezyne back - generally they are v.good lights

Craftsman
    Apologies, have only just read the OP properly - it's a rear light you want - I've been running this on my commuter all winter with no problems - good value at half price

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/moon-...4117.3610.html

Something to consider is wheteher she has mudguards or not - I do have mudguards on my commuter and haven't had an issue with rear lights. I have killed rear lights in days on wet rides with no mudguards

My comment on front lights still sstands - I rate it that highly, I'll leave it here....

At the slightly more expensive end, but I have a Fenix BC30 and it's by far away the best cycle light I've ever had.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fenix-BC30-.../dp/B00LMX99TM

I commute 20+ miles a day all year round in all weathers and since last September it's not missed beat. The illumination is fantastic - on flashing mode it lasts easily all week - on max (1,800 lumens) it lights up the parks as well as my car. It has a fresnel lens for beam direction, so has a beam cut-off (just like a car dipped beam), which works really well - no blindingh of oncoming motorists/cyclists. The mount is rock solid as well

I've had a number of bike lights over the years, my previous favourite was a Magicshine head unit with an external battery pack - I haven't used any of the other lights I have since buying this - highly recommeneded by me FWIW
    Last edited by Stevoc; 22nd March 2017 at 16:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I currently use Moon lights (metor front and comet on the rear). Both great and not too expensive. I live in Cumbria where it rains....a lot and have had no problems at all with them.
    As above I have two Moon Shield , one on back of helmet , other on bars. Really Really bright. On flashing lasts well over 5 hours. On normal easily 4 hours. USB charge.
    Get them as shown above £19 bargain
    Last edited by higham5; 22nd March 2017 at 18:49.

Lezyne Strip Drive Pro - 100 Lumens daylight flash mode (that's bright enough - trust me!).

Battery lasts an hour or two in that mode or a lot longer if you dial down the brightness.

Pay no more than £30 (you can quite often get deals that make it as low as £25)

Mounting is a cinch (sturdy band onto seat post or seat tube - replacement bands are about £3 from Amazon - if it ever breaks).

I use mine all the time and it is great.

Cheers,

Mark C