closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Spirit of the forum.
    You cynical old Seadog. I'm sure the new member is totally legit and I'd have no problem wiring him the best part of $9000 so he can purchase that watch and forward it on to me. What could possibly go wrong here?

Apprentice
    I am legit but they want shipping fee/tax. Happy to help however the fee is 8875, before tax, shipping. Happy to work with someone tho

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A million things could go wrong it will end being more expensive than buying one here !!

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Additionally; I was hoping for an anniversary SD that was inspiring and uplifting, even a James Cameron inspired green fading to black or other. However what we got was not inspiring. When I saw the 4000 sd being discontinued I chose to look for one and did find one. Luckily my AD had one and matched the price. Thus I know where another is located.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by melrandy View Post
    I found 2 for $8875. Bought one, and can help someone else get theirs. Offers?

This isn't the correct part of the forum for trading watches.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    This isn't the correct part of the forum for trading watches.
    Ok. Sorry was mostly commenting

Quote Originally Posted by melrandy View Post
    Ok. Sorry was mostly commenting

Quit while you are ahead.

Apprentice
    Thank you for your input. Being new I appreciate the feedback

started already !! £8500 sea dweller 4000
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rolex-sea-...oAAOSwCU1Y1~Mw

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Never mind the other one on the bay for 10k !

Lazy advert as well. Poor photos and no description. The first thing in my mind would be is it even genuine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Lazy advert as well. Poor photos and no description. The first thing in my mind would be is it even genuine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well in all fairness, you have to have a decent seller rating to list for that value, and he says collection only so you'll see before you buy.

Not even a make an offer button. He wants the full £8.5k

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Well in all fairness, you have to have a decent seller rating to list for that value, and he says collection only so you'll see before you buy.
    Would not pay £8500 for one. Rolex could not sell them before discontinued why would I pay £8500 now. Folk living on hopes and dreams the watch was only run for 3 years makes it more disrable.

It may well be worth £8.5k in time but purely increasing the price down to the "it's discontinued, you can't get it anymore!!! All discontinued Rolex go up in value" is nonsense.

Hopefully people don't give in and pay silly prices or that will end up being fair value for one.

Would not pay £8500 for one. Rolex could not sell them before discontinued why would I pay £8500 now. Folk living on hopes and dreams the watch was only run for 3 years makes it more disrable.

Ansolutely right - why on earth would anyone pay over list for a watch that Rolex couldn't sell a couple of weeks ago? Wait for the hype to die down and they'll be readily available as people try to move them on in order to fund the new monstrosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    2 SD have gone from local dealers in 2 hours,
    Just had a call from my AD you have to sign a contract saying you will not sell for a year and put 20% deposit down for the new SDR.
    This is hilarious

Apprentice

Apprentice
    Sad but true. The AD in Syracuse ny has one if anyone is interested

Apprentice
    The SD on truefacet is $11990. BNIB. Outrageous

It's crazy I'm bemused most collectors will own an sd4000 so quite suprised prices are going crazy on this..

Quote Originally Posted by taz11 View Post
    quite suprised prices are going crazy on this..
    Asking prices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ansolutely right - why on earth would anyone pay over list for a watch that Rolex couldn't sell a couple of weeks ago? Wait for the hype to die down and they'll be readily available as people try to move them on in order to fund the new monstrosity.

Weren't people saying this about the LV as well and look what happened there

Master
    It's crazy I'm bemused most collectors will own an sd4000 so quite suprised prices are going crazy on this..
    Why do you believe most collectors would own an SD4000?

Well i mean collectors as in purists would own one why wouldn't they??

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Why do you believe most collectors would own an SD4000?
    I don't, but I've seen a fair few SD4000 owners saying there going to trade up, and assume that many will be tempted by a new oversized precious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Weren't people saying this about the LV as well and look what happened there
    Fair point, actually.

Master
    I don't get the shock at the sudden higher prices of these watches. I sometimes think people who missed out are simply jealous or annoyed that they didn't get one in time. I sold one for £5200 once but since bought another couple and now I'm glad I did. It's a watch that wasn't popular, but the original Daytona sat in windows and had to be discounted to sell. Then Paul Newman's photo ends up on an Italian magazine cover and the prices go crazy.

The LV just the same. Not massively popular until half way or so through its lifetime, and that had a 10 year run. The SD4000 had a three year run, although a dealer I spoke to last month told me that they hadn't seen any since around November last year, so it's possible they were discontinued at that point and only stock hanging around in stores was available from that point. This was during a general conversation about the D-Blue availability.

It's a funny world all this collecting stuff, but there are a lot of people with deep pockets to feed it. The hype may die down, or once the current "over-priced" watches sell, you may even be thinking these prices were cheap in a year's time, but only time can tell (no pun intended). I smashed my crystal ball the other day so I can't help.

Master
    Well i mean collectors as in purists would own one why wouldn't they??
    Because they might have limited funds or other responsibilities? Just because they're a purist doesn't mean they own every watch. Seems like an odd assumption to me.

Blog Entries
    general conversation about the D-Blue availability.
    Although it's off-topic in this thread, what was the outcome of that conversation, if I may ask?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Although it's off-topic in this thread, what was the outcome of that conversation, if I may ask?
    They'd had two this year, which somehow sounded positive lol

Blog Entries
    They'd had two this year, which somehow sounded positive lol
    Thanks. Good grief. Talk about restricted supply. ;-)

Master
    Well, I bought mine because I liked it, and still do. If it goes up in value then that's marvellous, but won't affect me as I don't plan to sell (although, I do quite fancy a Panerai....)

Craftsman
    I don't get the shock at the sudden higher prices of these watches. I sometimes think people who missed out are simply jealous or annoyed that they didn't get one in time. I sold one for £5200 once but since bought another couple and now I'm glad I did. It's a watch that wasn't popular, but the original Daytona sat in windows and had to be discounted to sell. Then Paul Newman's photo ends up on an Italian magazine cover and the prices go crazy.

The LV just the same. Not massively popular until half way or so through its lifetime, and that had a 10 year run. The SD4000 had a three year run, although a dealer I spoke to last month told me that they hadn't seen any since around November last year, so it's possible they were discontinued at that point and only stock hanging around in stores was available from that point. This was during a general conversation about the D-Blue availability.

It's a funny world all this collecting stuff, but there are a lot of people with deep pockets to feed it. The hype may die down, or once the current "over-priced" watches sell, you may even be thinking these prices were cheap in a year's time, but only time can tell (no pun intended). I smashed my crystal ball the other day so I can't help.
    I completely agree with these comments. I also think it is fairly obvious that many of the recent sales will be by investors with spare cash looking to make a short / medium term profit, most of whom will have a minimal interest in the actual product.
    Unfortunately, It's the same story with vintage cars and art etc where ultimately it is only the true enthusiasts who lose out as they are priced out of the market.
    What I have learnt over the past 3 or 4 years of saving and buying is that you can't beat the inevitable price rises and you need to get on the ladder as soon as you can. If you sit back and complain about it, you will only end up further away from owning what you are saving for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I just bought one (2015) on eBay from a respected UK grey dealer for 6500, full set. I was lucky to find the listing almost as soon as it went up.

Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

Seems to me to be one of the few modern Rolex references over which the excitement is justified (as much as these things are ever, anyway).

As many, including myself, aren't particularly crazy over the Sub C (though it's no doubt a great everyday watch, and the LV has always been strangely tempting), if you wanted a modern 40mm diver from Rolex, the SD4000 was the only remaining choice. But more than the default, it seemed to me to be a rather special watch when it came out. Matte/satin finished maxi dial, fully graduated bezel, 'normal' lugs. Small details, yes, but small details are exactly what drives Rolex residuals/collectability.

I've only seen one out and about, and it looked great.

I also think it's worth bearing in mind what it's been replaced with. The SD43 is definitely not a bad watch, it looks great, has a new movement in, and red text... However, the cyclops and 43mm size is not going to be universally liked. I wouldn't get one because I think it'd look too big, and whilst I love cyclops' I think it's a shame that removing the Seadweller's USP of having a date but not a cyclops is a bit of a shame/unnecessary.

If the SD4000 had merely been updated to one with red text, then I think that would have set enthusiasts off and the previous model would still have been a great watch, but one that was a little passed over in favour of the one with the red writing... But that didn't happen, so combine that, the little details, and the extremely short production run by the standards of modern Rolexes, and I think it's a safe bet that they will be a strong performer values wise.

I was very surprised when I saw that the SD4000 had been discontinued, rather than perhaps continuing to sell alongside the SD43. Was it really that unpopular? I should think there are quite a few slow-selling references from Rolex, the white Milgauss for example, that have still been given years and years.

Whatever the relative merits, the fact that a Submariner is more than durable enough for most, and is expensive whilst being thousands of pounds less than the Seadweller, means that the SD is always going to be a niche product. Making it 43mm and giving it red text will make it considerably more identifiable, helping to justify the difference. In fairness, you can see how a 'non watch-person', or someone who's starting out with their interest, could have easily confused Subs/Seadwellers if they hadn't read the dial, so I think there did perhaps need to be more done to separate the two.

Interesting to see that this implies that the much-maligned cyclops is actually a rather popular feature.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 1st April 2017 at 07:48.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm still waiting to see the price increase of these materialise. I've made this point already on a different thread.

There are plenty for sale on eBay at high prices. Yet so far no one has bought one from eBay for more than £6,750 looking at the last months sales. The cheapest to sell was £5,500 from the states with no box and papers. Most have sold for between £6,075 and £6,750.

I'm waiting to see this price hike. Anyone can believe the hype and list watches at higher prices. The ones that seem to be selling are in the price bracket above.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seems like short term hype/wishful thinking to me.

I can't see any modern Rolex becoming collectible like Rolexs from the 60s and 70s.

This seems obvious and just a matter of the sheer numbers of watches produced these days.

It is scarcity that makes values go up and modern Rolexs are produced him very high numbers compared to 40-50 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I think we have already seen the values go up. Less than 12 months ago I paid 5500 for a full set watch in warranty, and I'd probably get 20% more if I sold today- the value has clearly gone up in this scenario but not by thousands and thousands overnight which seems to be what some are expecting.

The 5513 ran from 1966 to 1984 - I don't know how many Rolex produced but perhaps more than the sdc that ran for roughly 3 years, so in time it would be reasonable to assume the value would go up like the 5513s has. Rolex has never made that 40mm case with ceramic bezel before (plus, with no cyclops) and they may never again

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I think we have already seen the values go up. Less than 12 months ago I paid 5500 for a full set watch in warranty, and I'd probably get 20% more if I sold today- the value has clearly gone up in this scenario but not by thousands and thousands overnight which seems to be what some are expecting.

The 5513 ran from 1966 to 1984 - I don't know how many Rolex produced but perhaps more than the sdc that ran for roughly 3 years, so in time it would be reasonable to assume the value would go up like the 5513s has. Rolex has never made that 40mm case with ceramic bezel before (plus, with no cyclops) and they may never again

The 5513 was produced up until 1991 actually. Not sure how popular it was though.

How are the values of the 16660 reference doing? Maybe a good comparison, transitional model etc...?

Master
    Blog Entries

I get that if you bought the 116600 at cheap price of £5,500, then it was a good investment. But people are snatching them up from ADs at full retail.

I get that people are thinking that they will miss the 40mm SD but seriously? Didn't Rolex discontinue the 16600 for a few years before releasing the 116600. This coincided with the release of a new larger seadweller model. Are we that naive to believe that this is not the plan of Rolex.

The new model is a LE. I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex released a "new" 40mm SD in a couple of years.
    Last edited by JPCain86; 1st April 2017 at 12:17.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    The 5513 was produced up until 1991 actually. Not sure how popular it was though.

?
    You're right - I was thinking matte dial 5513. This strengthens my point if anything :)

I'm thinking the 5513 was popular enough to sell for a very long time and to be replaced by a similar model in the same (?) case, and it's certainly popular now with prices continuing to rise. Nobody's got a crystal ball but my thinking is that the value of the sdc is currently up right now and may continue to rise due to the short run and the fact it looks like it'll be the only ceramic bezel 40mm seadweller ever released by Rolex.

I'd be surprised if the sdc isn't a highly collectible watch in 30+ years like the matte 5513

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I get that if you bought the 116600 at cheap price which £5,500 then it was a good investment. But people are snatching them up from ADs at full retail.

I get that people are thinking that they will miss the 40mm SD but seriously? Didn't Rolex discontinue the 16600for a few years before releasing the 116600. This coincided with the release of a new larger seadweller model. Are we that naive to believe that this is not the plan of Rolex.

The new model is a LE. I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex released a "new" 40mm SD in a couple of years.
    It wasn't particularly cheap at the time, although I see your point.

If the new model is indeed a LE (I wasn't aware it definitely was?) and they release another seadweller in the same size and configuration to the sdc then of course that changes everything, but I don't think anyone knows if that'll happen i.e. We can only deal with the facts available right now :)

Either way, I'm keeping mine because it's a nice watch!

Master
    Blog Entries
    It wasn't particularly cheap at the time, although I see your point.

If the new model is indeed a LE (I wasn't aware it definitely was?) and they release another seadweller in the same size and configuration to the sdc then of course that changes everything, but I don't think anyone knows if that'll happen i.e. We can only deal with the facts available right now :)

Either way, I'm keeping mine because it's a nice watch!
    Your right it's not LE. It's an anniversary edition so I would expect a shorter run than some other releases.

Craftsman
    Just seen one sell on eBay for £7,100. And that was a watch dated Dec 2014.

Master
    The board at Rolex must be delighted. Introduce a new model to supercede the less popular one and then watch a frenzy as the old ones are gratefully bought from the dealers. No need for returns and sooner or later those watches will be back in for service.

Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

I was surprised when they discontinued it - was aware of the rumours but it seemed fairly unlikely to me that it would actually happen. I'd been after one for a while and am lucky to have bought one when I did in retrospect. It ticks all the boxes for me and is certainly the one modern Rolex I'd keep above all others.

I guess it's a brand whose value is carefully curated by a particular company policy. The steel sports watches are the flagship for Rolex and if one model is being offered below list all over the place then by nuking it you solve the problem, indeed you increase the net cachet for the brand by nudging that model along the path to increased desirability.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Current estimates are that Rolex knocks out about 1,000,000 watches a year, hardly rare.

In the 60s it was a tenth of that number ...

Rolex is a fine watch but I don't see a modern Rolex being collectible in the future as a 60s or 70s one is today due simply to the sheer numbers.

Apprentice
    The GMTC LN was an Anniversary edition, green font etc, and that is still available, so don't expect the SD43 to end production any time soon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Current estimates are that Rolex knocks out about 1,000,000 watches a year, hardly rare.

In the 60s it was a tenth of that number ...

Rolex is a fine watch but I don't see a modern Rolex being collectible in the future as a 60s or 70s one is today due simply to the sheer numbers.

True. Most collectors like to see a nice patination to a watch. That won't happen with the current ceramic models.