closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

Banned
    I'm watching SDC 4000's disappearing before my eyes,

Swiss watch trader aka swizz watch faker has a SDC for sale on web site £6890 then when you click on it it's £8 grand, now 10 grand on eBay this is hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Got my Submariner last week and many would say I should have got a sea dweller :)

I find all this quite amusing, I am glad I got the watch I wanted to keep/wear rather than playing the price rise lottery

Banned

Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    A certain now banned forum dealer just increased from £6950 to £8000 on his website. Then again I wouldn't have bought from him anyway.
    Barmy init, its 10k on ebay I'm watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    What if the SD4000 is not discontinued?

Remember the 16600 kept production for another year after it was going to be pulled, and the still up out an additional serial to meet demand.
    You cant order one from an AD as the orders get rejected by Rolex. Assuming that means its DCed

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Barmy init, its 10k on ebay I'm watching it.
    Once a chancer always a chancer.

Apparantly it's come from Rolex they will only supply ADs who follow this process, obviously ADs are on a list as well.
    It'll be interesting to see whether this is actually a Rolex-mandated process.

I'd be very surprised if it was, as that suggests Rolex doesn't want the value of its watches to skyrocket on the secondary market (and reap all the associated benefits from the perception of enhanced exclusivity). On the other hand, Rolex may expect a reduction of secondary supply to push flipped new watch prices even higher.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Two of the three on watchfinder have just sold.
    And the 3rd one just sold - it's utter madness!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    It'll be interesting to see whether this is actually a Rolex-mandated process.

I'd be very surprised if it was, as that suggests Rolex doesn't want the value of its watches to skyrocket on the secondary market (and reap all the associated benefits from the perception of enhanced exclusivity). On the other hand, Rolex may expect a reduction of secondary supply to push flipped new watch prices even higher.
    We will have to see, Rolex do not want the SDR on the grey market.

Banned
    At least my 5712 is ok no new releases to affect the inflated £££ from PP.

It would have been awfully nice of PP to discontinue it though.

Master
    They don't miss a trick! :-

NOW DISCONTINUED! Rolex have just released the 50th Anniversary Sea Dweller, ref: 126600 which will retail in the UK for £8350. The waiting list will be huge for the new 43mm model. However, the 116600 was only on production for 3 years (released in 2014) which will no doubt make it one of the rarest sports models in the companies history.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    They don't miss a trick...
    But they do miss a proofreader. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    But they do miss a proofreader. :)
    Nope, I'm not seeing it...............

Blog Entries
    Just had a call from my AD you have to sign a contract saying you will not sell for a year and put 20% deposit down for the new SDR.
    Yes I've updated my post post, you have to sign the contract face to face as well they will not take any deposits until you've signed.
    Any idea if that's a Rolex requirement or the AD doing it? Most interesting about the contract and about how enforceable it could or would be in practice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Any idea if that's a Rolex requirement or the AD doing it? Most interesting about the contract and about how enforceable it could or would be in practice.
    I think in practice, if you don't sign, you don't get. We know how Rolex have been trying to stop profiteering, so they hold the trump cards.

Blog Entries
    I think in practice, if you don't sign, you don't get.
    Quite possibly but that's not my question. My question remains as to whether it is an AD requirement or a Rolex requirement. I also question the likely enforceability of it, regardless of who came up with the idea.

It is something I would certainly like to see tested. I expect we will be seeing such tests (or the grey market results of them) very soon now.

We know how Rolex have been trying to stop profiteering, so they hold the trump cards.
    It's never quite as simple as such statements make it seem. Really, nothing is ever that clearcut.

Once an owner takes possession, I'd say that they hold the practical trump cards regardless of any bit of paper or 'contract' that has been signed. ;-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 24th March 2017 at 19:46.

Banned

My AD said Rolex want this, he was nice about it though he didn't want me to take the huff as he said I am considered a valued customer. I'm on my third watch this year with them already.

But you have to sign the contract at the dealers face to face apparently the contract isn't binding if it's posted out you signed and sent back.

Last edited by Fords; 22nd March 2017 at 19:23.

Blog Entries
    My AD said Rolex want this
    Thanks. But remember that we now know that some ADs have lied about alleged Rolex requirements before. Personally, I would not believe such a claim (regardless of any relationship) without seeing documentary evidence of it.

With whom would the contract be agreed? With the AD or with Rolex? If with the AD, what rights does the contract give them to enforce the terms of the contract?

But you have to sign the contract at the dealers face to face apparently the contract isn't binding if it's posted out you signed and sent back.
    (a) A consumer being required to sign a contract face to face without being able to consider in their own time is rather dodgy in its own right. Is that reasonable? It doesn't seem like it to me.
    (b) The claim that it's not binding if signed in private at the consumer's leisure is very likely untrue (if it is really binding at all).

Whilst I cannot say that this 'contract' is not a Rolex requirement, it does seem to me that you are already being misinformed or misled on at least one of these points. Consult a solicitor and show them the contract. If you cannot show them the contract before being required to sign it, then I'd suggest doubting its legitimacy.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 22nd March 2017 at 19:34.

Blog Entries
    And the 3rd one just sold - it's utter madness!
    One of those is mine mate!

Banned

Thanks. But remember that we now know that some ADs have lied about alleged Rolex requirements before. Personally, I would not believe that (regardless of any relationship) without seeing documentary evidence of it.

(a) A consumer being required to sign a contract face to face without being able to consider in their own time is rather dodgy in its own right. Is that reasonable? It doesn't seem like it to me.
    (b) The claim that it's not binding if signed in private at the consumer's leisure is very likely untrue (if it is really binding at all).

Whilst I cannot say that this 'contract' is not a Rolex requirement, it does seem to me that you are already being misinformed or misled. Consult a solicitor and show them the contract. If you cannot show them the contract before being required to sign it, then doubt its legitimacy.
    Thing is Mark I agree in principle and have no problem signing as I would keep the watch.

I was just outlining and relaying what had been said to me, if you don't sign you don't get to put down a deposit.

I've left £500 on new watches I've ordered with them that did not need a deposit it's just a sign of good will.

Last edited by Fords; 22nd March 2017 at 19:39.

Master
    The SDc was always in loads of ADs windows, why is Rolex assuming there's going to be a mad rush for the new one?

Master
    For everyone saying the way SDc pricing is going is ridiculous, I agree to an extent but we are talking about a quantum shift in the reality of one of Rolex most iconic watches. 40mm - gone. No cyclops - gone.

The new watch is objectively no better, just different, and it's retail is £8k+. If you don't like the cyclops and don't want 43mm, but want the nice solid new bracelet and ceramic bezel... whatcha gonna doooo?

There are plenty of watches selling at silly money with far more spurious reasoning behind their premium.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Congratulation, I was close to purchasing one in 2014. I could not stretch to it at the time, was a lovely looking watch.

Master
    I am glad I bought my SD4000 last year, don't care about value just love wearing and enjoying a great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Funnily enough I emailed my guy and the reply was none available yet he had three only a few days ago!

I suspect they will resurface in a week or so at a inflated price.

Classic, the one Rolex model I like and they discontinue it. Now I'll never get one, wasn't willing to pay the vastly inflated usual price let alone a premium!

I've worn a SDc now as a daily wearer for over two years. I've felt for a long time that it was true keeper, now it really is a keeper. The problem now is do I continue to wear it daily as the insurance validation on it only covers it up to equivalent new RRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    I am glad I bought my SD4000 last year, don't care about value just love wearing and enjoying a great watch.
    I agree 100%. Sold mine about six months ago, foolishly. Best of the 'submariner',watches, and now it has gone. The new one is a bit gross in comparison. Won't stop it selling by the bucket load.

Any heads up to a reasonable price SDc let me know!

Had planned if they released a decent revised SDc I'd buy that and have my current SDc customised, now that's not the case I need a SDc to work with.

Master
    Blog Entries

Dicontinued who says?

Really, who says or is this more Rolex marketing like the Blue DSSD?

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    Really, who says or is this more Rolex marketing like the Blue DSSD?

M
    It's been removed from the Rolex website, and ablogtowatch said it was discontinued.

Several ADs said so too, if you believe the various fora

Damn, i wanted one but still was working on the budget. Now it's gonna be an expensive investment ;(

There is one in my local AD but the £:$ rate would not make it particularly attractive. Think list is $10400 so currently £ 8330.
    Think I can see one for $8736 or £7000 but it may not actually exist !

Blog Entries
    Thing is Mark I agree in principle and have no problem signing as I would keep the watch.

I was just outlining and relaying what had been said to me, if you don't sign you don't get to put down a deposit.
    Yup, I understand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    For everyone saying the way SDc pricing is going is ridiculous, I agree to an extent but we are talking about a quantum shift in the reality of one of Rolex most iconic watches. 40mm - gone. No cyclops - gone.

The new watch is objectively no better, just different, and it's retail is £8k+. If you don't like the cyclops and don't want 43mm, but want the nice solid new bracelet and ceramic bezel... whatcha gonna doooo?

There are plenty of watches selling at silly money with far more spurious reasoning behind their premium.

Don't forget the movement.... 3235, first professional model to get it, as such a pivotal piece in Rolex history, in time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    It's been removed from the Rolex website, and ablogtowatch said it was discontinued.

Several ADs said so too, if you believe the various fora
    Thanks👍

Went on Haywood's site this morning as people were talking about where to get one and he had a couple up for sale. Just checked now and he seems to have been cleared out.

This must be like Christmas for the dealers.

Mines going nowhere...probably the most versatile watch I own.had it a couple of years and it was a bit of a slow burn to start with...

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Went on Haywood's site this morning as people were talking about where to get one and he had a couple up for sale. Just checked now and he seems to have been cleared out.

This must be like Christmas for the dealers.
    And most of them are not Rolex Ad's - the same will apply in the future regardless of what numb policies Rolex try and apply. It will simply make the grey market as lucrative as ever and nothing more.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    If memory serves, Schiphol was always a safe bet to pick one up. It always seemed to be the one mosel they almost always had in stock.

Journeyman
    So what do we think one of these is worth in say 5 years, 10 years. I'm a novice when it comes to watches, and I realise it's a short production model, but how much can it increase?

The impression I get is a lot people buy with one eye on residuals and future appreciation, and with the Internet and all the resources available to us, it's a lot easier to source models globally. This morning there were enough of these about fully stickered now sold which will probably end up in safes, so I think they will always be easy to source. Also there is a lot more attention paid to boxes, stickers, bezel protectors etc than in the past, so in 10 years time I think a complete set would be readily available.

I'm of the thinking that it will appreciate, but not to the extent that some may expect which led to the mass buying frenzy that took place this afternoon. I had been thinking of getting one of these for the past few months, and had seen the same ones listed for months, all disappear in a day.

Am I way off the mark?

Hard to make predictions,particularly about future.

I'm good at making predictions about the past
    ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Any heads up to a reasonable price SDc let me know!

Had planned if they released a decent revised SDc I'd buy that and have my current SDc customised, now that's not the case I need a SDc to work with.
    This morning a 2017 model is showing on WF priced at £7500, guess its not badly priced considering some dealers are around £8000.

Grand Master
    Milgauss GV.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Milgauss GV.
    Got any lying around you want to shift before the collapse then ?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Got any lying around you want to shift before the collapse then ?
    Yes selling one today but we have seen his before and it's great until the music stops.

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

it's great until the music stops.
    haha I think that is true. I still wish I had tried one before the game started.

Grand Master
    What you have to remember is this, that watch and others is a good little sports watch but prior to yesterday did you ever actually think Ill put my money into that as its good enough for me to do so? Yet now all of a sudden people think its going to be worth more they are buying it! Same watch and admiration to current owners who liked it but if you buy it now based on value then you are buying for all the wrong reasons and will be deeply disappointed.

Its a bizarre human characteristic to want what you can't have more than enjoying what you can and also being swept along by the forum hype. My advise is buy for the right reason and by all means sell if you have one and need a few quid but take your time deciding to avoid disappointment on both sides.
    RIAC

Its a bizarre human characteristic to want what you can't have more than enjoying what you can and also being swept along by the forum hype. My advise is buy for the right reason and by all means sell if you have one and need a few quid but take your time deciding to avoid disappointment on both sides.
    Sensible observation.
    To my eyes, overall, the 40mm SD4000 is the best thing rolex ever did. lm glad l got one - for the right reason. Even more so now, given recent events.

This morning a 2017 model is showing on WF priced at £7500, guess its not badly priced considering some dealers are around £8000.
    Thank you for the heads up but too strong for me I'm afraid, I've already got one and wanted another to get customised but not at that price.

I was holding out to see if they did a new SDc which obviously they did but this one does nothing for me :(
    Last edited by pitbull666; 23rd March 2017 at 09:21.