closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

I went to try one on yesterday and really liked it, but can't see it as an investment because the prices of the more recent old models are relatively reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    What you have to remember is this, that watch and others is a good little sports watch but prior to yesterday did you ever actually think Ill put my money into that as its good enough for me to do so? Yet now all of a sudden people think its going to be worth more they are buying it! Same watch and admiration to current owners who liked it but if you buy it now based on value then you are buying for all the wrong reasons and will be deeply disappointed.

Its a bizarre human characteristic to want what you can't have more than enjoying what you can and also being swept along by the forum hype. My advise is buy for the right reason and by all means sell if you have one and need a few quid but take your time deciding to avoid disappointment on both sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by 964RS View Post
    Why people think they must have a watch now they never had before or ever really wanted to pay for, just because its been discontinued and think it will be the next big thing, is beyond me.

How long are you going to hold onto it? 20-30 years?

Hype over discontinued models is always the same.....gives dealers an opportunity to ram prices up straight away and take your money....but if you look at what's happened with previous models they have had the same hype, quick price rise and then back to reality.

Look at the 16600 at one point it was THE watch to have....prices shot north....and then slowly but surely back down again, they are barely above where they were 3-4 years ago and that's only because of Rolex new watch price increases.

If you are buying thinking this will make money then you better be prepared to hold onto it for a long long time and hope long in the future that this mass produced watch suddenly becomes sought after at some point for some reason.

Or you could just buy what you like, enjoy it and if you buy sensibly it will probably do just as well
    Two of the wisest post that I have seen written on the forum.
    From two of the most knowledgable members.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Rubbish, it's beautifully balanced and sized. Are you perhaps thinking of the Deep Sea Sea Dweller?
    Nope, I tried it on as I like the Idea, but it's too thick imo for a 40mm watch so imo it looks a bit stupid and is top heavy, I do see people on here cutting off their blood supply with a bracelet though, maybe that's the key to have it tight as f**k lol

It was a poor seller, I don't get the hype on it esp now. the bracelet don't even fit right to the case !!! I think people just like the new lugs as the ceramic Sub also looks daft imho.

I'll stick to my LV Kermit and BLNR they just seem to work and wear much nicer, the only watch I would like to add is a 14060M 2 liner.

how can people like this ill fitting mess ?

Master
    Best pic of child's wrist eva! :)

Notwithstanding the obvious deference to the two wise old owls who have posted above, I do understand why anyone who'd been thinking of buying an SDc recently would try to get one now. The vagaries of the market carry risk of both unobtainable lit years and price hikes in the future, so it does make sense to head that off if at all possible.

I've had two in the past, and both were flipped to provide a financial cushion against more desirable incomings. I would like another, but right now I'm unsure as the model I want and certainly won't pay list or over for a watch that isn't mine from new. Oh, and I still don't like the way the end links overhang the lugs... stupid design decision IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    Nope, I tried it on as I like the Idea, but it's too thick imo for a 40mm watch so imo it looks a bit stupid and is top heavy, I do see people on here cutting off their blood supply with a bracelet though, maybe that's the key to have it tight as f**k lol

It was a poor seller, I don't get the hype on it esp now. the bracelet don't even fit right to the case !!! I think people just like the new lugs as the ceramic Sub also looks daft imho.

I'll stick to my LV Kermit and BLNR they just seem to work and wear much nicer, the only watch I would like to add is a 14060M 2 liner.

I ask the same about how people can like the hulk sub. It's called personal preference and just because you dislike something doesn't mean others don't love it. IMO the sd4000 is the best modern rolex to date, new releases aside, but that's just my opinion.

Also, the lugs not meeting the bracelet aren't noticeable on the wrist, but they are on a massive 20" screen. If they followed the curve of the case, it wouldn't wear anywhere near as well as I find it does.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I ask the same about how people can like the hulk sub. It's called personal preference and just because you dislike something doesn't mean others don't love it. IMO the sd4000 is the best modern rolex to date, new releases aside, but that's just my opinion.

Also, the lugs not meeting the bracelet aren't noticeable on the wrist, but they are on a massive 20" screen. If they followed the curve of the case, it wouldn't wear anywhere near as well as I find it does.
    The bracelets just not right, so much so it's seems like an after thought, no other Rolex does it and the new SD has a correctly fitted one also, SD4000 is ill fitting and top heavy imho of course ;-), I also agree the Hulk looks ugly but that's with any new Ceramnic Sub with the wide lugs.
    I like to wear my watch a bit loose and the SD4000 just turns on the wrist, hence you see the new arrival thread with blood cutting off fitment time and time again ! again it's personal to wear a watch that tight, but it's not for me.

imho the best modern Rolex is the BLNR, but that's why I own that and you own the SD4000, life would be dull if we all wore the same watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 964RS View Post
    Why people think they must have a watch now they never had before or ever really wanted to pay for, just because its been discontinued and think it will be the next big thing, is beyond me.

How long are you going to hold onto it? 20-30 years?

Hype over discontinued models is always the same.....gives dealers an opportunity to ram prices up straight away and take your money....but if you look at what's happened with previous models they have had the same hype, quick price rise and then back to reality.

Look at the 16600 at one point it was THE watch to have....prices shot north....and then slowly but surely back down again, they are barely above where they were 3-4 years ago and that's only because of Rolex new watch price increases.

If you are buying thinking this will make money then you better be prepared to hold onto it for a long long time and hope long in the future that this mass produced watch suddenly becomes sought after at some point for some reason.

Or you could just buy what you like, enjoy it and if you buy sensibly it will probably do just as well
    I was looking at 5 digit sd's 2 to 3 years ago from what I have seen they are going for quite a bit more now.

The ceramic sd has only been mass produced for a few years so surely that means the numbers will be limited compared to other models?? Why will it take 20 to 30 years to appreciate??

its crazy the sd4000 is one of the most beautiful watches I have had. A few people on here actually didn't like the sd4000 and now that it could be discontinued everyone wants one!!

Blog Entries
    Picked my SD 4000 up today from watchfinder - a few hundred quid under the (old) MRP for a 6 month old watch - very happy..

Martyn

Craftsman
    So as one of the people who bought amongst all the hype over the last few days, I think a sensible viewpoint is warranted. I was looking at adding my first Rolex to the collection due to my first child being born and was holding out for a BLNR. At current wait times, it would be 2018 by the time I got one, at which point I wouldn't be buying a birth (of my son) year watch. I liked the SD4K beforehand, and as mentioned earlier in this thread, it was worth picking one up to "nip it in the bud" as it were, before prices went crazy.

I picked mine up for around £7k BNIB and the list price being around £7700. Now if I sold mind tomorrow to Watchfinder or the like, I would likely get 7K as an offer (Or less). Getting my money back is more important than making thousands of pounds - but of course this is a watch purchased purely because of my Son's arrival - and hence will never be sold anyway.

It would be lovely that it was worth loads more in the future - but that's not the point.

Master
    It would certainly be interested to know what value WF put on a SD4k after the last few days events. I'm not going to approach them, since I'm keeping mine.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    It would certainly be interested to know what value WF put on a SD4k after the last few days events. I'm not going to approach them, since I'm keeping mine.
    I suspect the price has gone up. Just checked, 2 x DRSDs and not a single SDc - weird !!

the sdc4000 will climb in value certain.They all do !

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    My AD said Rolex want this, he was nice about it though he didn't want me to take the huff as he said I am considered a valued customer. I'm on my third watch this year with them already.

But you have to sign the contract at the dealers face to face apparently the contract isn't binding if it's posted out you signed and sent back.

I doubt it's binding regardless of where it's signed!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I doubt it's binding regardless of where it's signed!
    I doubt it as well but if you don't sign you don't get.

Blog Entries
    The bracelets just not right, so much so it's seems like an after thought, no other Rolex does it and the new SD has a correctly fitted one also, SD4000 is ill fitting and top heavy imho of course ;-), I also agree the Hulk looks ugly but that's with any new Ceramnic Sub with the wide lugs.
    I like to wear my watch a bit loose and the SD4000 just turns on the wrist, hence you see the new arrival thread with blood cutting off fitment time and time again ! again it's personal to wear a watch that tight, but it's not for me.

imho the best modern Rolex is the BLNR, but that's why I own that and you own the SD4000, life would be dull if we all wore the same watch.
    Well. No disrespect but - just picked up my SD4000 today and well happy. Comfortable, glide-lock means bracelet fits perfectly whatever the weather. Well balanced and bracelet just great balance. No blood supply cut !

The 40mm size is spot on for this watch. 43mm would be bloated considering the dial size remains unchanged on the 50th Anniversary Edn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 24th March 2017 at 19:31.

Master
    Another convert! ;-)

I doubt it as well but if you don't sign you don't get.
    But what if you signed then went straight back and demanded the rest of your property? Would refusing be classed as theft?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    But what if you signed then went straight back and demanded the rest of your property? Would refusing be classed as theft?
    What rest of your property? As I understand it, if you sign (and pay, of course!) then you get the watch when it arrives and presumably all the bits that come with it.

Or did I miss a point on stuff being withheld as well as this 'contract'?

By the way, IANAL but, in general, taking possession of your own property is not theft, as long as it is of course genuinely your property. But you might be breaking other criminal laws depending on how you do it and you may be breaching a civil agreement (but only the court can finally decide if any particular civil agreement is enforceable or not).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 24th March 2017 at 19:51.

Banned
    Apart from everyone looking like k**bs argueing in the dealers I really don't know, possibly they are relying on integrity, or maybe you will go on a banned from future buying list.

The warranty card will be withheld I thought that was sorted in another thread.

Blog Entries
    The warranty card will be withheld I thought that was sorted in another thread.
    Ah, didn't catch that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Ah, didn't catch that.
    TBH Mark they will end up keeping the watch and giving you a wrist shot to keep.

Blog Entries
    TBH Mark they will end up keeping the watch and giving you a wrist shot to keep.
    Hah. ;-)

Maybe you'll be able to pay extra for visiting rights.

😂😂

Master
    Morning, there's one at Schipol now for 9214Euro's which seems an odd number to me?
    Suspect its not worth it given the exchange rate but would consider picking it up for one of you if anyone fancies it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Morning, there's one at Schipol now for 9214Euro's which seems an odd number to me?
    Suspect its not worth it given the exchange rate but would consider picking it up for one of you if anyone fancies it?
    You've got about 15mins to let me know.

Master
    If you already own one the prices will definitely rise, whereas if you're trying to buy one they definitely won't.

- - - Updated - - -

£8000 GBP

Master
    Thanks for the gesture Paul.

Master
    The bracelets just not right, so much so it's seems like an after thought, no other Rolex does it.....
    Well, except every precious metal Daytona (including latest ceramic platinum) and entire Yacht Master range for over 20 years (from launch until recent update of YM 1. Still on YM2) and the Deepsea. But apart from that lot of more expensive models, Rolex doesn't do this on any others ;)

It's like their no doubt hugely experienced, professional and probably hugely respected designers didn't notice.

Seriously though it does seem an odd feature, which has interestingly been removed from latest cheaper models (SD and YM1) but still on the top of range versions. I have two watches with these sticky out end links and day to day they are not really noticeable. I assume that the designers knew what they were doing. Either to balance it physically or asthetically on the wrist, or both.

I like it. There. I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Oh that the same year as mine. I wonder if mines worth that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    What a joke. Bet it doesn't sell for anywhere near that.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by tom waring; 25th March 2017 at 19:25.

There's only so much the prices can be pushed, £8500 would get you multiple decent watches.

Craftsman
    If anyone is desperate, there's a brand new, stickered and all paperwork/boxes 2017 one available for rather less at:

https://www.watchmaster.com/en/rolex...ode=KZ387PQWJ6

Asking £8.5k for a 2015 SDc is barking mad and plain greedy. Plenty still around if anyone bothers to look hard enough.... although the unworn one's are disappearing uber-fast.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    There's only so much the prices can be pushed, £8500 would get you multiple decent watches.
    My 16660 and 16800 combined cost only a couple of hundred more. Madness.

Journeyman
    Pretty crazy stuff.. for the inexperienced/uninformed its going to be expensive.

Master
    https://www.miltonsdiamonds.com/watc...ge2:infscr3046

are showing some SD4000 available under £7k but they may not be there now. I noticed Haywood has been busy but his stocks of desirable other Rolex sports models remain ok for the moment.

Well folk will hope the SD C will climb and be worth over Rrp one day. It still the same watch that struggle to sell before the being discontinued. I have had a few in past and trying to sell the watch was not easy. It was discountied for reason not just cause the new sea dweller may be Rolex get rid and the 50 anniversary will do better.

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk

Master
    I wonder if the new SD will only have the red text for the first year and then at Basel next year will be replaced with white text with minor or no other changes

Blog Entries
    I do see people on here cutting off their blood supply with a bracelet though, maybe that's the key

I tried to replicate the angle and shot you took above.

on your photo it looks like the bracelet had not been sized so you may not have got it fitted properly? I have to say it is extremely comfortable and with the glide lock system can be fine tuned to whatever fitting you want.

Couple more shots:

It it fits like the proverbial . . . round a . . .
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th March 2017 at 00:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    https://www.miltonsdiamonds.com/watc...ge2:infscr3046

are showing some SD4000 available under £7k but they may not be there now. I noticed Haywood has been busy but his stocks of desirable other Rolex sports models remain ok for the moment.
    Just passing by this thread quickly and must make this common clarification : that website and the watches on it are not mine! It's run by distant cousins, all respectable, but please don't think you're looking at your forum friend's business there.

H

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Just passing by this thread quickly and must make this common clarification : that website and the watches on it are not mine! It's run by distant cousins, all respectable, but please don't think you're looking at your forum friend's business there.

H

Is this yours Haywood?

https://www.miltonaires.com/product/5157

Martyn

Hopefully he doesn't mind me answering for him but yes it is Martyn.

Journeyman

Don't know about the value going up, but admiring mine in the lovely Yorkshire sunshine this morning I now am particularly glad I decided to stop agonising over it and just bought mine new in 2015. For my skinny wrist < 6.5 inches, it wears very comfortably and looks fine (IMHO). I wore a 43mm B-1 for the previous 8 years and was quite happy with the size and thickness of that. Value may get boosted a bit more (along with all models) by the continued weakness in sterling.

The world is a funny place,now to get me a DSSD??

I'm surprised anyone would find these uncomfortable. Mine is the most comfortable watch I've owned.

I really don't think any of these heavy watches are meant to be worn loosely. You really need a lighter watch if you want it dangling off your wrist like a charm bracelet.

Apprentice
    I found 2 for $8875. Bought one, and can help someone else get theirs. Offers?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melrandy View Post
    I found 2 for $8875. Bought one, and can help someone else get theirs. Offers?

Spirit of the forum.