closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    What you have to remember is this, that watch and others is a good little sports watch but prior to yesterday did you ever actually think Ill put my money into that as its good enough for me to do so? Yet now all of a sudden people think its going to be worth more they are buying it! Same watch and admiration to current owners who liked it but if you buy it now based on value then you are buying for all the wrong reasons and will be deeply disappointed.

Its a bizarre human characteristic to want what you can't have more than enjoying what you can and also being swept along by the forum hype. My advise is buy for the right reason and by all means sell if you have one and need a few quid but take your time deciding to avoid disappointment on both sides.
    Wise words Kerry. It may be a good watch, bunit didn't sell that well, so not as many people liked it as the Sub or other models. It not being available any longer from Rolex doesn't make it a better watch

Master
    Wise words indeed. A few months ago it was Hulks/Batmans on here with the DSSD being the watch a lot of people desired. There was a shift recently to Kermits and now we are watching them go north to £8k and now people are rushing (imo) to get SDc's that were readily available on the s/h market last week. Haywood had 4 I think!

I am not getting caught up in this hype. In pictures and wrist shots it looks like a superb watch until one day I was walking past an AD and there was one in the window, the first one that I had seen in the flesh so to speak. I stopped and looked at it for several minutes and left completely underwhelmed thinking that is not for me. It was difficult to put my finger on what the problem was, but instead of rushing in to try it on I just walked away.

The money would be better spent on a 1665 or a 16660 in my opinion.

Master
    What's not to like?

https://flic.kr/p/PpCLNY

Craftsman
    Contacted a few sellers wanting £6.8k for LNIB 2016 versions. Both parties have failed to get back in touch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Sensible observation.
    To my eyes, overall, the 40mm SD4000 is the best thing rolex ever did. lm glad l got one - for the right reason. Even more so now, given recent events.
    I agree with this. SD4k is the best thing Rolex ever did. Was under the radar - until now - stainless, ceramic, rugged, no friggin cyclops, simple, solid machined clasp - just perfect. Glad I wear the shit out of mine!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    Contacted a few sellers wanting £6.8k for LNIB 2016 versions. Both parties have failed to get back in touch
    Looks as though these have gone up in price literally over night.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    A certain now banned forum dealer just increased from £6950 to £8000 on his website. Then again I wouldn't have bought from him anyway.
    Who would that be?

The lovely chap discussed here:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=Bigsymo

TLDNR: He was/is takng watches off SC to sell on his website for a tidy profit,often low balling members. Banned but probably still operating by PM under a different name.
    Last edited by -Ally-; 23rd March 2017 at 10:07.

Master
    Ally, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I am not getting caught up in this hype. In pictures and wrist shots it looks like a superb watch until one day I was walking past an AD and there was one in the window, the first one that I had seen in the flesh so to speak. I stopped and looked at it for several minutes and left completely underwhelmed thinking that is not for me. It was difficult to put my finger on what the problem was, but instead of rushing in to try it on I just walked away.

I was in the same boat when I first saw and tried on the SD4000. As a result I didn't buy one in 2014 but do have one now and wear it every day at work and simply cannot fault it. It is a watch you have to wear for some time (not 20 secs in an AD) to appreciate all that it offers.

I really like the fact that those that know watches know it's one of the best Rolex make - now made, past tense...

Why people think they must have a watch now they never had before or ever really wanted to pay for, just because its been discontinued and think it will be the next big thing, is beyond me.

How long are you going to hold onto it? 20-30 years?

Hype over discontinued models is always the same.....gives dealers an opportunity to ram prices up straight away and take your money....but if you look at what's happened with previous models they have had the same hype, quick price rise and then back to reality.

Look at the 16600 at one point it was THE watch to have....prices shot north....and then slowly but surely back down again, they are barely above where they were 3-4 years ago and that's only because of Rolex new watch price increases.

If you are buying thinking this will make money then you better be prepared to hold onto it for a long long time and hope long in the future that this mass produced watch suddenly becomes sought after at some point for some reason.

Or you could just buy what you like, enjoy it and if you buy sensibly it will probably do just as well

My Local AD still had one in the safe so that's put aside for me at RRP.

Journeyman
    Obtained one luckily yesterday at "normal market price", I'm glad to have obtained one to enjoy as i do believe it's going for sure to be a sought after watch ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by 964RS View Post
    Why people think they must have a watch now they never had before or ever really wanted to pay for, just because its been discontinued and think it will be the next big thing, is beyond me.

Hype over discontinued models is always the same.....gives dealers an opportunity to ram prices up straight away and take your money....but if you look at what's happened with previous models they have had the same hype, quick price rise and then back to reality.

Look at the 16600 at one point it was THE watch to have....prices shot north....and then slowly but surely back down again, they are barely above where they were 3-4 years ago and that's only because of Rolex new watch price increases.

If you are buying thinking this will make money then you better be prepared to hold onto it for a long long time and hope long in the future that this mass produced watch suddenly becomes sought after at some point for some reason.

Or you could just buy what you like, enjoy it and if you buy sensibly it will probably do just as well
    Well said indeed. A brief moment of hyped madness that will pass once the next one arrives or leaves.......and around we will go again. Amusing.

Master
    I completely agree with what your saying but wonder how many are like me?
    I've long coveted the SD as one of the only new Rolex I would consider, however, have never quite been in the position to buy at that level.
    This news had me reviewing various ways to get one, alas now is not the time.
    Last edited by paulpsz008; 23rd March 2017 at 13:58.

When I first saw the sd4000 I knew I had to have one. As others have said, I think it's one of he best sports models available. Maybe too many people were scared to buy it if they didn't have a sub already as it's dearer etc. I bought mine last year just before the price rise. if I didn't take the plunge, I knew they would start to be come too expensive for me what with the rrp's of the steel watches creeping up. I must say I managed to chip the glass and put a few scratches on the watch quite easily which annoyed me but I'm glad I bought it now as even if hey don't rise in value maybe I'd get my money back if i ever wanted to sell it on if I needed to which is always a huge bonus. Free hobby in my opinion.
    Last edited by Yeti; 23rd March 2017 at 14:11.

Master
    I have been waanting a SD for as little while now and have been keeping an ear top the ground but that was before the withdrawal as such Im now competing with a much wider audience and as a consequence demand has shot up which in turn probably means my attention will go elsehere, good luck to those who do have on eand go on to obtain one but the premium isnt justification for me

Craftsman

Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

I contacted watchfinder a few weeks ago to value my SD as I was thinking about switching to a blnr. Their offer was ok but not great so I didn't pursue it any further. Needless to say they have been phoning and emailing today to see if I would still consider selling it!
    The addition of a cyclopse on the new SD is like smothering a sunday roast with ketchup in my opinion!
    Last edited by toptime; 23rd March 2017 at 14:35.

Master
    I love mine, always wanted an SD and the SD4000 is very wearable, and the glidelock bracelet is great.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    The addition of a cyclopse on the new SD is like smothering a sunday roast with ketchup in my opinion!
    LOL! Exactly, well put!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    LOL! Exactly, well put!
    Haha, though I am currently imagining the Kryton from Red Dwarf "Ketchup on Lobster" scene, with his head exploding.

Master
    I notice that WF had 2 this morning at very near full retail price and they're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    I've long coveted the SD as one of the only new Rolex I would consider, however, have never quite been in the position to buy at that level.
    Quite. I'm in pretty much the same position, so I hope those saying the hype will abate are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    I think a lot of people will be in the same boat. It was still a newish model, so there was still plenty of time to get one...

To me, the new SD looks is an abomination with that cyclops, but opinions are like........etc

Change is good in the Rolex world. There's nothing wrong with market fluctuation and inflation brought about my model changes/FX rates or whatever.
    We've seen prices go up and down on 16710s and 16570s in recent years as they have gone in and out of fashion. Some will have made paper or actual profits, others not.

Personally I sold a 16570 a few years ago on here for at least £1,000 less than its probably worth now, and recently sold a 216570 for ALOT less than I bought it for when it first came out, but I'm keeping my 16710 bought new in 2003 that is now worth considerably more than I paid for it (pre-adjustment for inflation at least).
    Current dilemma is whether to stick or twist on either of my SDs - 16600 which I wear regularly, and unworn NIB 116600 which has possibly increased a little bit in value since yesterday morning!

Good thing about Rolex is that (with the occasional bit of man maths) its easy to be convinced that having a decent collection is a fairly cheap way of playing with some spare cash.
    Can't say that about many things!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Funnily enough I emailed my guy and the reply was none available yet he had three only a few days ago!

I suspect they will resurface in a week or so at a inflated price.
    I sadly had to let my lovely SD 16660 go (to another forum member) to fund this SDc 4000 - I just couldn't warrant keeping both. But I am glad I didn't get the 50th anniversary. I don't think it will sell that well either - to the average Joe surely they'd buy a Submariner @ 43mm (same sized face so basically a bloated case) - OK it has a "Professional" movement with increased 70h power reserve - but I doubt the accuracy can be any better than the current models that are already 'superlative'.

Any way I waffle - but I plan to keep my SD4000 for quite some time.

I let one go before - I don't plan to do so again.

Martyn

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I agree with this. SD4k is the best thing Rolex ever did. Was under the radar - until now - stainless, ceramic, rugged, no friggin cyclops, simple, solid machined clasp - just perfect. Glad I wear the shit out of mine!
    BUT WAY TOO THICK for a 40MM watch so looks stupid and is top heavy !!

Grand Master

Spot On Wisdom
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    Nonsense. Oh, and no need to shout. 😊

Really? SMH!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Really? SMH!
    Raj, l think you and l just found the middle ground in our opinions of watch dimensions. An historic moment! 👍

Raj, l think you and l just found the middle ground in our opinions of watch dimensions. An historic moment! 
    😄😄👍

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Twaddle.

The whole concept of Rolex is about marketing and market control. I too think the SD4K is the best thing they ever did but i'm under no illusion that as a product it's worth or cost to make anything like the 7k asking price. It's the customers that set the value. The SDc will definitely go up in value because Rolex buyers will make it so.
    The SD is without a doubt the one I would keep if I could only have one.

Sensible observation.
    To my eyes, overall, the 40mm SD4000 is the best thing rolex ever did. lm glad l got one - for the right reason. Even more so now, given recent events.
    Couldn't agree more. Two days ago I wouldn't have parted with mine. And today that hasn't changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyman may have two PP's but I have two SD4K's!

Who's the daddy! :)

Best Rolex ever.....

But if you're a "wearer" rather than a "collector/investor" then why have two???

Master
    Rubbish, it's beautifully balanced and sized. Are you perhaps thinking of the Deep Sea Sea Dweller?

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    But if you're a "wearer" rather than a "collector/investor" then why have two???

Just ended up with two. Had one SD and a BLNR and really just didn't get on with it so offered it for trade on SC. Best trade offer I got was for a mint SDc. That's how I have two. Definitely a wearer but also smart enough to know it's good trade fodder for the future.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Just ended up with two. Had one SD and a BLNR and really just didn't get on with it so offered it for trade on SC. Best trade offer I got was for a mint SDc. That's how I have two. Definitely a wearer but also smart enough to know it's good trade fodder for the future.

Bet your in box is at full capacity by 9pm tonight!

The SD and your old LV are my two best watches Gareth! Will be keeping both!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    The SD and your old LV are my two best watches Gareth! Will be keeping both!

Good man Ray!

I've had 3 PM's in the last day from people offering to buy my SD4000 but I'm keeping it until I know I'm 100% getting a SD 50th and then would like ideally to see them both together before making decision if both, or one stays. I'm in no rush with all the post Basel BS to make a rash decision on a bloody great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Got my Submariner last week and many would say I should have got a sea dweller :)

I find all this quite amusing, I am glad I got the watch I wanted to keep/wear rather than playing the price rise lottery
    Did you get the one at Deacons? It seems to have gone.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

best on the bracelet, but can look quite good on other straps too....

Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    Did you get the one at Deacons? It seems to have gone.

I found mine on Chrono24 and purchased from David Summerfield in Gateshead, I was very happy with the deal

Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I found mine on Chrono24 and purchased from David Summerfield in Gateshead, I was very happy with the deal
    Glad you managed to get one! They're a great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    Glad you managed to get one! They're a great watch.

Thankyou, I did contact Deacons about the 114060 but they didnt get back to me, in fact I found all of my local AD's to be quite unhelpful whilst looking if im honest, I suppose the product sells itself so why should they bother?

I saved a little on RRP for a fully stickered unworn watch with most of its warranty remaining, plus I cant afford to forge any sort of future relationship with a Rolex AD :)

There was a guy posting on Facebook this morning that a year ago he bought his dream watch..... a ceramic sub to commemorate a special occasion. He bought the submariner as it was the name of the original from 1954 and he preferred it to the Seadweller.

Today he now feels he's bought the wrong one as the SD looks like it will be worth more.

Honestly. FFS!!!

Totally agree with the sentiments being expressed, the SDc has been widely available for a long time, yet yesterday there seemed to be a feeding frenzy and dealers who had several in stock sold out in minutes.

I also recall recent history when the SD was replaced by the DSSD and dealers starting asking and collectors started paying silly money for the discontinued model. A big issue was made of the final V series, very special, very rare and very expensive. Then good old Rolex reintroduced the SD with a ceramic insert and all the hype and crazy prices seemed to disappear almost over night.

Anyone who has bought in the last 24/48 hours after being caught up in the hype who otherwise wouldn't have bothered seriously needs treatment. This is mass, mass production model and there are plenty available for anyone who wants one.