closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

Hybrid View

Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

So what with the sd4000 being discontinued, what happens now? Do they rise in value and will everyone want one as they arnt being made anymore or do they remain unloved? I bought mine last year for full retail as I love the watch. Everyone said I was mad to buy at full retail, maybe not!

Still available at a discount at Iconic.

Kept LNIB Iwould imagine it will pay better than the bank rate over the next ten years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Still available at a discount at Iconic.

Kept LNIB Iwould imagine it will pay better than the bank rate over the next ten years.
    Nope! They've sold 3 this morning already.

Craftsman
    bet it`ll be hard to find one of those now at an AD

I sold my SDc just in the past few days, but then I need the funds for a Patek and I have always found the SDc slightly too big for my wrist and rarely wore it (I prefer my original 16600), so I was happy to move it on - and I'm glad it's found a good home. For those with more suitable wrists, it is the ideal watch - much nicer than its replacement imho.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I'm surprised they lasted that long. It was a great price anyway, even if it hadn't been binned - I was sorely tempted to buy a spare.

Master
    IMO £8k+ for either the new red SD, or for a marked up SD 4000 starts becoming pricey, even as an investment piece.

3 WTB''s at top of TZ today suggests it's better than cash in bank.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldnt be surprised if at Basel World 2018 a 40mm SD was released. They will have lots of parts for these that they can't use in other watches. By discontinuing an unpopular watch. They will sell lots of unwanted stock as people plough in for an investment piece.

I'm sure it'll beat the bank rates but it'll be a long term investment. I still maintain you should buy a watch because you like it and not just because it has been disco'd. Of course it suits current owners to overplay this situation but only time will tell.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Guessing they weren't over list price this morning?

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex...er-116600.html

Banned
    2 SD have gone from local dealers in 2 hours,
    Just had a call from my AD you have to sign a contract saying you will not sell for a year and put 20% deposit down for the new SDR.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Just had a call from my AD you have to sign a contract saying you will not sell for a year and put 20% deposit down.
    On the new SD?

Just had a call from my AD you have to sign a contract saying you will not sell for a year and put 20% deposit down for the new SDR.
    They are 'avin a larf.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

What can they do if you break the contract?

Journeyman
    Which AD is that?

This is hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    Guessing they weren't over list price this morning?

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex...er-116600.html
    Two of the three on watchfinder have just sold.

A certain now banned forum dealer just increased from £6950 to £8000 on his website. Then again I wouldn't have bought from him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Two of the three on watchfinder have just sold.
    And the 3rd one just sold - it's utter madness!

Got my Submariner last week and many would say I should have got a sea dweller :)

I find all this quite amusing, I am glad I got the watch I wanted to keep/wear rather than playing the price rise lottery

Master
    Wise words indeed. A few months ago it was Hulks/Batmans on here with the DSSD being the watch a lot of people desired. There was a shift recently to Kermits and now we are watching them go north to £8k and now people are rushing (imo) to get SDc's that were readily available on the s/h market last week. Haywood had 4 I think!

Master
    What's not to like?

https://flic.kr/p/PpCLNY

Craftsman
    Contacted a few sellers wanting £6.8k for LNIB 2016 versions. Both parties have failed to get back in touch

I am not getting caught up in this hype. In pictures and wrist shots it looks like a superb watch until one day I was walking past an AD and there was one in the window, the first one that I had seen in the flesh so to speak. I stopped and looked at it for several minutes and left completely underwhelmed thinking that is not for me. It was difficult to put my finger on what the problem was, but instead of rushing in to try it on I just walked away.

The money would be better spent on a 1665 or a 16660 in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I am not getting caught up in this hype. In pictures and wrist shots it looks like a superb watch until one day I was walking past an AD and there was one in the window, the first one that I had seen in the flesh so to speak. I stopped and looked at it for several minutes and left completely underwhelmed thinking that is not for me. It was difficult to put my finger on what the problem was, but instead of rushing in to try it on I just walked away.

I was in the same boat when I first saw and tried on the SD4000. As a result I didn't buy one in 2014 but do have one now and wear it every day at work and simply cannot fault it. It is a watch you have to wear for some time (not 20 secs in an AD) to appreciate all that it offers.

I really like the fact that those that know watches know it's one of the best Rolex make - now made, past tense...

Why people think they must have a watch now they never had before or ever really wanted to pay for, just because its been discontinued and think it will be the next big thing, is beyond me.

How long are you going to hold onto it? 20-30 years?

Hype over discontinued models is always the same.....gives dealers an opportunity to ram prices up straight away and take your money....but if you look at what's happened with previous models they have had the same hype, quick price rise and then back to reality.

Look at the 16600 at one point it was THE watch to have....prices shot north....and then slowly but surely back down again, they are barely above where they were 3-4 years ago and that's only because of Rolex new watch price increases.

If you are buying thinking this will make money then you better be prepared to hold onto it for a long long time and hope long in the future that this mass produced watch suddenly becomes sought after at some point for some reason.

Or you could just buy what you like, enjoy it and if you buy sensibly it will probably do just as well

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Got my Submariner last week and many would say I should have got a sea dweller :)

I find all this quite amusing, I am glad I got the watch I wanted to keep/wear rather than playing the price rise lottery
    Did you get the one at Deacons? It seems to have gone.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    Did you get the one at Deacons? It seems to have gone.

I found mine on Chrono24 and purchased from David Summerfield in Gateshead, I was very happy with the deal

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I found mine on Chrono24 and purchased from David Summerfield in Gateshead, I was very happy with the deal
    Glad you managed to get one! They're a great watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    So what with the sd4000 being discontinued, what happens now? Do they rise in value and will everyone want one as they arnt being made anymore or do they remain unloved? I bought mine last year for full retail as I love the watch. Everyone said I was mad to buy at full retail, maybe not!
    Its a great watch and I'd think one of the shortest production runs of a modern Rolex so with the way this crazy hobby goes I would be inclined to think it will do well now.

Who knows. They're obviously only popular with collectors anyway which is why it has been discontinued. So baring that in mind, a lot of collectors who want them, already have them. You're certainly not going to lose money though.

Banned
    I'm watching SDC 4000's disappearing before my eyes,

Swiss watch trader aka swizz watch faker has a SDC for sale on web site £6890 then when you click on it it's £8 grand, now 10 grand on eBay this is hilarious.

Banned
    At least my 5712 is ok no new releases to affect the inflated £££ from PP.

It would have been awfully nice of PP to discontinue it though.

Master
    They don't miss a trick! :-

NOW DISCONTINUED! Rolex have just released the 50th Anniversary Sea Dweller, ref: 126600 which will retail in the UK for £8350. The waiting list will be huge for the new 43mm model. However, the 116600 was only on production for 3 years (released in 2014) which will no doubt make it one of the rarest sports models in the companies history.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    They don't miss a trick...
    But they do miss a proofreader. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    But they do miss a proofreader. :)
    Nope, I'm not seeing it...............

Classic, the one Rolex model I like and they discontinue it. Now I'll never get one, wasn't willing to pay the vastly inflated usual price let alone a premium!

I've worn a SDc now as a daily wearer for over two years. I've felt for a long time that it was true keeper, now it really is a keeper. The problem now is do I continue to wear it daily as the insurance validation on it only covers it up to equivalent new RRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is one in my local AD but the £:$ rate would not make it particularly attractive. Think list is $10400 so currently £ 8330.
    Think I can see one for $8736 or £7000 but it may not actually exist !

Craftsman

I contacted watchfinder a few weeks ago to value my SD as I was thinking about switching to a blnr. Their offer was ok but not great so I didn't pursue it any further. Needless to say they have been phoning and emailing today to see if I would still consider selling it!
    The addition of a cyclopse on the new SD is like smothering a sunday roast with ketchup in my opinion!
    Last edited by toptime; 23rd March 2017 at 14:35.

Master
    I love mine, always wanted an SD and the SD4000 is very wearable, and the glidelock bracelet is great.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    The addition of a cyclopse on the new SD is like smothering a sunday roast with ketchup in my opinion!
    LOL! Exactly, well put!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    LOL! Exactly, well put!
    Haha, though I am currently imagining the Kryton from Red Dwarf "Ketchup on Lobster" scene, with his head exploding.

But if you're a "wearer" rather than a "collector/investor" then why have two???

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    But if you're a "wearer" rather than a "collector/investor" then why have two???

Just ended up with two. Had one SD and a BLNR and really just didn't get on with it so offered it for trade on SC. Best trade offer I got was for a mint SDc. That's how I have two. Definitely a wearer but also smart enough to know it's good trade fodder for the future.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Just ended up with two. Had one SD and a BLNR and really just didn't get on with it so offered it for trade on SC. Best trade offer I got was for a mint SDc. That's how I have two. Definitely a wearer but also smart enough to know it's good trade fodder for the future.

Bet your in box is at full capacity by 9pm tonight!

The SD and your old LV are my two best watches Gareth! Will be keeping both!

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    The SD and your old LV are my two best watches Gareth! Will be keeping both!

Good man Ray!

I've had 3 PM's in the last day from people offering to buy my SD4000 but I'm keeping it until I know I'm 100% getting a SD 50th and then would like ideally to see them both together before making decision if both, or one stays. I'm in no rush with all the post Basel BS to make a rash decision on a bloody great watch.

Master
    I wonder if the new SD will only have the red text for the first year and then at Basel next year will be replaced with white text with minor or no other changes