closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

So what with the sd4000 being discontinued, what happens now? Do they rise in value and will everyone want one as they arnt being made anymore or do they remain unloved? I bought mine last year for full retail as I love the watch. Everyone said I was mad to buy at full retail, maybe not!

Still available at a discount at Iconic.

Kept LNIB Iwould imagine it will pay better than the bank rate over the next ten years.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    So what with the sd4000 being discontinued, what happens now? Do they rise in value and will everyone want one as they arnt being made anymore or do they remain unloved? I bought mine last year for full retail as I love the watch. Everyone said I was mad to buy at full retail, maybe not!
    Its a great watch and I'd think one of the shortest production runs of a modern Rolex so with the way this crazy hobby goes I would be inclined to think it will do well now.

Who knows. They're obviously only popular with collectors anyway which is why it has been discontinued. So baring that in mind, a lot of collectors who want them, already have them. You're certainly not going to lose money though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Still available at a discount at Iconic.

Kept LNIB Iwould imagine it will pay better than the bank rate over the next ten years.
    Nope! They've sold 3 this morning already.

Craftsman
    bet it`ll be hard to find one of those now at an AD

I sold my SDc just in the past few days, but then I need the funds for a Patek and I have always found the SDc slightly too big for my wrist and rarely wore it (I prefer my original 16600), so I was happy to move it on - and I'm glad it's found a good home. For those with more suitable wrists, it is the ideal watch - much nicer than its replacement imho.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I'm surprised they lasted that long. It was a great price anyway, even if it hadn't been binned - I was sorely tempted to buy a spare.

Master
    IMO £8k+ for either the new red SD, or for a marked up SD 4000 starts becoming pricey, even as an investment piece.

3 WTB''s at top of TZ today suggests it's better than cash in bank.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldnt be surprised if at Basel World 2018 a 40mm SD was released. They will have lots of parts for these that they can't use in other watches. By discontinuing an unpopular watch. They will sell lots of unwanted stock as people plough in for an investment piece.

I'm sure it'll beat the bank rates but it'll be a long term investment. I still maintain you should buy a watch because you like it and not just because it has been disco'd. Of course it suits current owners to overplay this situation but only time will tell.

So what about these put the general public off buying? It's always looked like a good all rounder to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    So what about these put the general public off buying? It's always looked like a good all rounder to me.
    Price I imagine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very similar to the Sub for £3k more?

Craftsman
    Will be interesting when these start to hit the shops, the old Sea Dweller was often seen in the windows while the SS Submariners were not and I think this will be the proof of there popularity (or not)

Not sure anyone 'knows' why, or even if the public were put off- although the fact they seemed more readily available than the other conspicuously absent steel models would suggest they weren't quite as in demand

My guess is that they cost more than the subs and were quite similar in terms of size so people opted for the sub. I remember when the sd4000 came out and a lot of people (myself included) were wishing it had been a bit bigger to sit neatly between the sub and dssd. Am currently eating those words though

Master
    It's not a Submariner.

In the world of the average Joe you want a DateJust, Submariner or DayDate. Nothing else matters.

Loads of my mates love their Submariners but wouldn't know what brand you were talking about if you said "SeaDweller".

Blog Entries
    Price. When compared to the Sub which Jo Public associates with Rolex anyway.

+1 ... I don't understand the negativity about them, from some anyway

Master
    I think most no-watch people only saw it as a Sub with no cyclops and a slightly deeper back, making it sit a bit higher, so weren't willing to pay the higher price.
    Maybe there's also an element of people who want their watch to be noticed would be put off by the lack of cyclops which is synonymous with sports Rolex models.

I bought mine 2 years ago because I liked it, simple as that.

Craftsman
    I decided that I did like the SD4000 and the potential for not losing any money was a winner. Once I jimmy my bank into allowing me to purchase it, I'll be the proud owner of a 2017 SD4c!

Master
    My opinion - and that's all it is - BNIB SDc's will start trading at about the SD43 (as I am christening it) retail. Disclaimer - I have a BNIB SDc tucked away in its shipping coffin. It's. It's not for sale though. Meantime...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    My opinion - and that's all it is - BNIB SDc's will start trading at about the SD43 (as I am christening it) retail. Disclaimer - I have a BNIB SDc tucked away in its shipping coffin. It's. It's not for sale though. Meantime...
    I think that is wishful thinking. It's still the same watch, it wasnt difficult to obtain.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I think that is wishful thinking. It's still the same watch, it wasnt difficult to obtain.

Craftsman
    As long as they trade at the original retail price of the SD4000, I suspect quite a few people will still see a value increase in what they paid; considering of course that they used to be sold at discount rates.

As mentioned in other threads, the "investment" would be a slow burn but in the mean time it's a cracking watch that would be enjoyed immensely on the wrist.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Guessing they weren't over list price this morning?

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex...er-116600.html

Banned
    2 SD have gone from local dealers in 2 hours,
    Just had a call from my AD you have to sign a contract saying you will not sell for a year and put 20% deposit down for the new SDR.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Just had a call from my AD you have to sign a contract saying you will not sell for a year and put 20% deposit down.
    On the new SD?

Banned
    Yes I've updated my post post, you have to sign the contract face to face as well they will not take any deposits until you've signed.

Isn't that a bit optimistic ? Majority of feedback is negative.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Isn't that a bit optimistic ? Majority of feedback is negative.
    That's what I thought.

Just had a call from my AD you have to sign a contract saying you will not sell for a year and put 20% deposit down for the new SDR.
    They are 'avin a larf.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    They are 'avin a larf.
    Apparantly it's come from Rolex they will only supply ADs who follow this process, obviously ADs are on a list as well.

What can they do if you break the contract?

Journeyman
    Which AD is that?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Don't know will find out tomorrow, they keep the warranty card as well, so off the top of my head you will sign away the right to have it.

Apparantly it's come from Rolex they will only supply ADs who follow this process, obviously ADs are on a list as well.
    Seems very OTT to me - not that I would want the newly released SD, they have ruined a classic in my opinion when the SDc came out and this latest one compounds this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The Seadweller has always been more understated than the Submariner, I think - and it appears to be (with the advent of the new fat-frame Submariner etc) that the more obvious/ostentatious look is what people want.

But - rather than looking at the SDC as an investment (unless buying an S/H one) - you would be better sinking funds into the "classic" pre ceramic SD (pre-owned). I think they will always be worth money.

Back to the obvious/ostentatious look - that's how I view the black/blue bezelled GMT. A fat watch with an "in your face" bezel design. Far removed from the classic GMT with red/blue bezel.

Just my thoughts

Al

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    In theory they could claim against you but it would depend on the terms of the contract.

I'm no expert on contract law but I know that there was a Supreme Court ruling on penalty clauses a year or so ago that meant that a party relying on a penalty clause no longer has to prove a loss and can require the transfer of property as a consequence for breach.

I guess this can only help 16600 values too.

Banned

Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Seems very OTT to me - not that I would want the newly released SD, they have ruined a classic in my opinion when the SDc came out and this latest one compounds this.
    I'm not actually sure I do, that red is ok on the vintage but this looks like it just doesn't belong in a SSteel line up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

What if the SD4000 is not discontinued?

Remember the 16600 kept production for another year after it was going to be pulled, and the still up out an additional serial to meet demand.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    What if the SD4000 is not discontinued?

Remember the 16600 kept production for another year after it was going to be pulled, and the still up out an additional serial to meet demand.
    I thought that.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    In theory they could claim against you but it would depend on the terms of the contract.

I'm no expert on contract law but I know that there was a Supreme Court ruling on penalty clauses a year or so ago that meant that a party relying on a penalty clause no longer has to prove a loss and can require the transfer of property as a consequence for breach.
    Interesting to see how it pans out. The AD isn't allowed (under the conditions of their contract with Rolex) to sell at higher than RRP so they'd be hardpushed in a court to prove they're losing anything.

Are Ad's going to try an sue everyone who sells on their watch. What if you're financial circumstances change, can the AD stop you from selling your own property? And if you sell at a loss can you claim against the AD for that loss...

There's a whole can of worms that I can't think AD's want to open. I can see some smart-arse lawyer taking a case on for fun, it'd attract great publicity.

Craftsman
    I thought that.

Did it disappear off the website like the SD4000 has? Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    But - rather than looking at the SDC as an investment (unless buying an S/H one) - you would be better sinking funds into the "classic" pre ceramic SD (pre-owned). I think they will always be worth money.
    The difference is that the SDc has had such a short production run.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Did it disappear off the website like the SD4000 has? Any idea?
    I can't remember for sure I think it did disappear from the Rolex site.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    Guessing they weren't over list price this morning?

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex...er-116600.html
    Two of the three on watchfinder have just sold.

A certain now banned forum dealer just increased from £6950 to £8000 on his website. Then again I wouldn't have bought from him anyway.

Craftsman
    Looks like mine is increasing in value!!! although it doesn't matter, as it's a keeper.