closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edd China leaves cost cutting Wheeler Dealers

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    He did, yes. It's sat in his garage. He hasn't driven it much since. I think he needs some new wheels and to get the stickers off, but that would leave him with just a re-map and a bigger intercooler for his outlay!
    Have to say the snake skin was lairy! Sellers remorse! I can relate to that with buying back watches I have sold!

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Have to say the snake skin was lairy! Sellers remorse! I can relate to that with buying back watches I have sold!
    He needs to take a hairdryer to the graphics and get the wheels sorted really. The car had sentimental value and he enjoyed the filming, so I think he got something out of the experience that wasn't purely a financial transaction with a slightly modified car as the end product!

I always thought this was an uncannily accurate description of Wheeler Dealers https://www.facebook.com/MrWheelerDe...2677356773441/ ;)

Much as I've always liked the show, the tot up at the end showing the 'Profit' was bogus & daft in the extreme. The man hours of Mr C plus the helpers would probably outstrip what the car sold for at the end! After being involved in my pals Cooper S resto, as Quint said in Jaws "I’ll never put on another life jacket"!
    MB? Another disposable cockerny (he's a south Londoner btw) and should do well brown nosing TV yanks. He lives it over there and good on him.
    Edd has got talent and TGT or TG should have him aboard.
    Interesting about A K of GMG, maybe you do have to stop being someone's bitch eventually after all.
    Last edited by bongo; 22nd March 2017 at 20:44.

Shame - whilst some of the stuff was occasionally a bit 'naff' this was mostly down to Brewer.

Enjoyed it over the years.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Selling high? Considering the time and expertise Edd puts into each car he is the worst car salesman ever, selling a perfect car for a few quids more than the wreck he bought.
    That's what I've always thought too! They never really value the cars properly, but I do like to see things being restored/refurbished and brought back into use.

Anyway, as others have said, Edd IS the show, he seems like a top bloke and and I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Shame that, don't see how the garage segments are 'too difficult' to produce.
    It'll just be time consuming to film, you could have a couple of camera and sound guys filming an awful lot of footage for hours/days and then someone with good mechanical knowledge to edit those hours of footage into something watchable.

Ant is a good replacement though so it won't be a bad show going forward.

Craftsman
    That's a shame. I hope Edd pops up in something else, he has a particular style which makes WD pleasant viewing.

I'm not sure why people get hung up on the economics, the labour costs and all that. It's just a bit of fun entertainment.. and in the mix quite interesting as they get to knock around a great variety of motors.

This is sad news I loved WD. I used to watch it on BBC America then Velocity. I was not to happy with the move to the US the cars done in the UK version were for the most part more interesting. He will be missed.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I like others here watched the show mainly for the Ed's bits and suspect that the core element of its viewers will now switch channels as the latest episodes seem to have adopted a weak Carry On format which will I suspect now continue for some strange reason.

RIP WD

B

Apprentice
    Lost interest once it got more and more American 😕

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justmuller View Post
    Lost interest once it got more and more American 
    Some of the American metal they've worked on has been quite interesting, but I agree that the move towards catering for the American TV market has started to grate a bit.

Mind you, when they first did the American stuff, it did feel quite fresh.

Still, doesn't and won't stop me watching it I suppose!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    TBH I'm surprised anyone is bothered.

The whole thing is so fake (like all "reality" shows), the cars need so little doing to them and are bought for laughably cheap prices then sold on after a hundred hours work to make a monkey or so.

Nonsense.
    Agreed, all these shows are a bit far-fetched to put it mildly, but for me they have to strike the right balance and I think WD did this. At the end of the day it's entertainment TV, it isn`t a documentary, so I don't mind cutting them some slack where credibility's concerned provided the entertainment value makes up for it. I think the chemistry between Mike and Ed worked well; OK, they ham it up for the cameras but it's very rare I find it cringe-worthy. Mike's a bit of a caricature much of the time, but I still find him amusing and entertaining.

Mostly, the cars they buy are in good condition structurally and need relatively little work to make them good again. Anyone who knows much about car restoration can see that, and I`m willing to bet they do a whole lot more to some vehicles than they admit to. As for making money, it isn`t difficult when Edd (plus the minions we don`t see) works for nothing!

It's a shame the show's getting Americanised, it won`t be the same. I`ve found the recent series more interesting due to the American cars featured but that's been the only plus.

Paul

I wonder if Teng tools will still give him every conceivable tool for every different job on every different car

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    That's a real shame. I've been watching since the early days and have always enjoyed the show immensely. I have to say that I noticed a change for the worse though when they moved to the US in the recent series and it started to become too scripted. I respect Edd for jumping ship now if he feels that he's being compromised.

FWIW my mate sold the silver RX7 to Mike about 4 years ago. It wasn't one of Edd's best jobs to be honest (snake skin alloys and a huge intercooler were pretty much all they did) but I did get to meet Mike when the filmed the parts where he goes to buy then car, and he was honestly a nice bloke who took time out to chat cars (mostly Mk2 Golfs) and watches (mostly Rolex) with me in between the filming segments.

RIP WD
    I always had the impression it was a put-up job where the seller wanted the fake snake skin, etc, then bought it back.

Just found a set of pictures i took of Edd China about 4 years ago on his motorised Sofa.

Last edited by steptoe; 23rd March 2017 at 16:28.

Master
    A real shame and a major blow for what was once, a good show. Unfortunately with the emphasis so heavily on American cars to satisfy the growing audience there I've began to lose interest in it. I don't watch Top Gear, Fast N Loud and countless other shows that have all become a bit boring.

Blog Entries
    That leaves us to Car SOS... Watched the episode of the DB6 last night on Dutch TV.

We changed the clutch of a DB5 Superleggera a few years back. Mostly Jaguar stuff of that era. (that's why David Manners came around the corner in this very episode). You can't compare a Superleggera with a steel bodied DB but you can not restore a car in 6 weeks.

A proper restoration takes about 1000 - 1200 man hours of labour. That's at least 25 weeks. Yes, you can work on different jobs at the same time: engine at the shop, body at the bodyshop and suspension on the workbench and interior at the trimmer's - to give you an idea. That will take off 5 weeks of the initial 25 weeks. This DB needed a lot of welding to be done. As you can imagine: welding is the most time consuming part of a restoration. In short: there goes the time schedule! Later in the resto process there is a point where you cannot work with so many man on the same car at the same time! It's simply too small to work on with 4 or 5 guys at the same time.

We managed 30 weeks once with a Volvo P1800S. Guess why? The only welding needed was a new battery tray! And the owner (a surgeon) is a hands-on guy who stepped in on Saturdays chipping off under coating, chipping old noise reduction plates etc.

The '...we have 6 weeks to do the job' needs a few pinches of salt...

The only 'real time' production is Project Binky when the voice over says: 'Nick's 20min job turned into a 4hr job off course'

In that perspective, WD wasn't so bad: Edd never talked about how quick things would be done. Always in a context of '...after ... hrs the job was done'

Menno

Shame, perhaps Edd can do something interesting now the link to Mike is broken.
    For me the EC bits of the show were the only ones worth watching.
    Clearly a major screw up for Velocity.

In the final couple of series they'd say at the end of each episode how many hours had been put in, from 30 for a minor upgrade to 200+ for one that was much deeper.
    None of their cars were full restorations: there were always used bits that I'd have had replaced but they didn't bother with. Maybe the Moggy Woody with a full new wooden cage might count as such.

I see Edd's had to do another YouTube vid because idiots are sending death threats and other abusive stuff to Mike, his wife and daughter. It also gives a slightly different slant on the break up. The comments underneath are interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umWmzN1MqWs

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I see Edd's had to do another YouTube vid because idiots are sending death threats and other abusive stuff to Mike, his wife and daughter. It also gives a slightly different slant on the break up. The comments underneath are interesting.

What utter nonsense. These people need to get lives. I started reading some comments but when people start mentioning Trump, Muslims and suicide bombers when discussing a bloke leaving a car show, I know the world's gone mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post

Death threats over a cable TV car show?

Gordon Bennett!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    The world truly has gone mad.

Kind of funny the way Edd termed death threats as 'not cool'

Death threats!! It's a crazy crazy world!

This is 1 show I won't be watching now then, more time to read the watch book I got for Christmas maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. Maybe all is not quite as it seemed.

https://youtu.be/ykw8ixA985U

Master
    TBH I think its unlikely that MB is going to come out and agree that some changes to the mechaninical aspects were proposed at this stage, only time will tell what the new series looks like.

Journeyman
    You could tell from the very last season that Edd was not enjoying the new format. They have been slowly cutting out more and more of the good mechanical stuff. I've been a fan for years and it went down hill the minute they started the US focus. And that's coming from an American's perspective. Granted, I'm now interested in seeing what new show Edd will be part of!

Craftsman
    Don't think I've watched a more recent series judging from the comments, but Edd was in front of the camera for most of the eps I've seen. He did a great job of making the oily stuff interesting which I daresay isn't easy. If it goes down the road of that appalling show with 'Mawio', that cockney imbecile and fake arguments it would be a real shame. Best car show I've seen I reckon.

Everyone has commented on the fake arguments, but they're in every single show of this type available, Brit as well as US. Maybe they think it adds entertainment for the partners of people who really want to watch the show.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Edd is a genius, I enjoyed the show to a point but only when Edd was working he's magic

Craftsman
    Watched both of Edd's YouTubes and it just left me feeling sad. Suppose it was going to be less Edd and more Mike... Even though the way Wheeler Dealers was done distinguished it from loads of other similar and (imo) vastly inferior shows. Innumerable examples of messing with a successful formula have ended in disaster as the new show owners will probably find out. Shame, really.

One of the things that surprised me was that Edd quit seven months ago, and his own garage business went bankrupt after that. Maybe there's more to all of this than we've been told.

Wheeler Dealers is one of my favorite shows on our Velocity Network, which broadcasts it. But I don't tune in to watch Mike Brewer say "hold out your hand", I watch it to learn a boatload about car workings from Edd. I just find that sort of thing interesting.

Sorry Edd is leaving and I wish the best of luck to him. Kudos to him for staying true to his ideals and I don't think the show will be as good without him. Velocity seems to be morphing into a majority of car auction programs which interest me very little, having learned cars sell for various amounts of money years ago.

Craftsman
    Just to add that it's a shame Mike and Edd seem to have had a bit of a falling out. As Edd says on Mike in the second video: "Is he my favourite person right now... Er probably not and I know for certain I'm not his."

But he says they'll be friends in the future. It's just one of those things when circumstances change and people don't agree. I'm still just sad that my favourite car show is being ruined.

Car SOS is looking a better proposition every day.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Don't know why everyone reckons Edd is the man. The highlight of the show is surely when Brewer appears with new hubcaps.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    Don't know why everyone reckons Edd is the man. The highlight of the show is surely when Brewer appears with new hubcaps.
    Haha yes indeed. Or he buys a load of 'aftermarket' parts for a classic which Edd rejects.

Master
    Would be if they got rid of that idiot Tim Shaw....always switch off when he does his comedy reveal

Journeyman
    My wife will actually watch Car Sausage just to cry at the end when they hand the car over. Heh

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    My wife will actually watch Car Sausage just to cry at the end when they hand the car over. Heh
    Another win then, you can watch it and pretend you're doing it for her

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Would be if they got rid of that idiot Tim Shaw....always switch off when he does his comedy reveal
    Ruins the show for me, his awful "humour" .why the producers think he adds to show bewilders me. Hate the unnecessary deadlines too. Just show us how you repair the car -job done.

I am not that keen on Tim. However I find him a lot less annoying than MB and the comedy reveal is not more annoying than the fake sale for a quid that the alleged sales man manages.
    Plus, at least he helps when the deadline is closing in.

A little bit more to the story from Edd himself:
    https://youtu.be/E1TF7bxrXDA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Shame about Edd, he always was the brains of the outfit, even if it did give you ideas above your station/ability.
    You can't say Ant doesn't know his stuff, I'd love one of his DB4 rebuilds and judging by that he seems pretty good. I'll give it a go.

I don't think that Mike Brewer would ever warrant the description "Brains of the outfit"...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's the same in chez moi.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Ruins the show for me, his awful "humour" .why the producers think he adds to show bewilders me. Hate the unnecessary deadlines too. Just show us how you repair the car -job done.
    +1 odious man...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I don't think that Mike Brewer would ever warrant the description "Brains of the outfit"...
    I keep looking at the Daytona he wears , this is the image I have of a Daytona wearer and have never bought one due to it