closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edd China leaves cost cutting Wheeler Dealers

Blog Entries

Edd China leaves cost cutting Wheeler Dealers

... a mistake, an early April Fool's Day joke? Or is it the same executive who sacked Clarkson?

More info here: http://jalopnik.com/edd-china-is-lea...y-w-1793498487

Menno

EDIT: it's true! Edd telling it himself!

Master
    Wheeler Dealers with that prick Mike Brewer and without Edd China sounds like the worst show on TV.

The cars had better get a whole lot better, otherwise that show is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Wheeler Dealers with that prick Mike Brewer
    HEY ! Easy on Mike with his oversized gut and yet another pair of white trainers

Master
    Oh no!

You've created another car show thread that will have middle aged blokes forensically critiquing every episode and getting as angry as if somebody had just painted a moustache on the Mona Lisa. A bit like me really I suppose...

Edd makes the show for me, and I've been an eager viewer since the first episodes. I don't think the latest ones have really worked as well, with some weird interplay between him and Brewer.

I don't really like the idea of the replacement guy either, I struggled to warm to him in the For The Love of Cars show, but I guess I'll survive.

I believe Edd's company used to make all the old Top Gear specials (Toybota etc) and I'm sure he'll be snapped up by somebody. Maybe even the Grand Tour or similar?
    Last edited by Tooks; 22nd March 2017 at 00:07.

That's the end of that show then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edd went bankrupt last autumn to the tune of £600k+. He ran a fix and MOT garage.
    Ant isn't a bad guy so it might be watchable, but you know what happens when the Americans get their hands on stuff. Cadbury's all over again.
    Last edited by Glamdring; 22nd March 2017 at 00:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Edd went bankrupt last autumn to the tune of £600k+. He ran a fix and MOT garage.
    Ouch!

Ant isn't a bad guy so it might be watchable, but you know what happens when the Americans get their hands on stuff. Cadbury's all over again.
    ?

Really? Edd or the garage, Grease Junkie? It's a limited company - Edd was a shareholder. He is still aparantly worth more than me ;)

The show simply won't be the same without him.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    ?

Really? Edd or the garage, Grease Junkie? It's a limited company - Edd was a shareholder. He is still aparantly worth more than me ;)

The show simply won't be the same without him.
    Yes, I think you're right about it being a business liquidation rather than a personal bankruptcy.

http://portbfs.co.uk/blog/articles/g...idation-report

Fair play to him. The US 'reality show' format is very different and he obviously isn't comfortable with doing fake arguments, throwing tools, swearing for the bleep track, conveniently finding things for sale for bargain basement prices and so on.

The whole point of it is seeing the spannering and the other work they contract out (seat retrimming, turbo refurbishment etc).

Grand Master
    I'm a big fan of Wheeler Dealers, but there's no way it'll be the same without Edd.

Mike needs to seriously lay off the pies........just watched it tonight and noticed how rotund he is!

Paul

Shame, he was the only reason I watched it.

Good show, but I had no idea it was still being made. Assumed whenever I watched it that I was watching repeats for daytime tv!

That's a real shame, Edd seems like a good bloke but if we're honest the show's been a pale shadow of it's former self since they Americanised the format anyway. I don't blame him for jumping ship.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 22nd March 2017 at 01:57.

I commend him for the announcement, and decision, it can't of been an easy choice but I believe we will see him spread his wings now. I always thought the show was holding back on technical stuff, so should be interesting to see what he publishes on his YT channel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SSTEEL View Post
    I commend him for the announcement, and decision, it can't of been an easy choice but I believe we will see him spread his wings now. I always thought the show was holding back on technical stuff, so should be interesting to see what he publishes on his YT channel.

Something between Mark Evans and 'Binky' would be nice! One of the reasons Edd is worth watching is his calm and collective way of showing and presenting. As said, no foul language or monkey jokes when he's busy. And no 'here's one I did earlier' stuff like you see in US shows (where hotrods are build with a massive engine or g/box from a crate). Let's be honest: Mike is only the story how to get a certain car in the shop. After that it is the Edd Show.

Menno

I agree.

I watch the show regularly and can quite happily miss the beginning and end and just watch Edd's bit. I don't enjoy Mike trying to rip people off, buying low and selling high!

Project Binky has put everything else into perspective though! Try selling that to Discovery!

M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Selling high? Considering the time and expertise Edd puts into each car he is the worst car salesman ever, selling a perfect car for a few quids more than the wreck he bought.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I'm pretty sure I remember a thread on pistonheads or somewhere where they were discussing the £1k Porsche Boxster WD purchased.

The guy who sold it was on the thread and as you'd expect the production company was in touch beforehand to take a good look around the car and told him how it would go for camera. He got his original asking price and it was £1k for the camera only.

Edd's bits were interesting, but even then it's obvious some work had been prepped, I mean how easily did some of those 20 year old nuts come off?!

But, it's an entertainment show at the end of the day, and none the worse for it. I don't really want to wait 10 mins whilst he waits for some penetrating oil to soak in!

Well, I guess I won't be watching any more. Edd's sections were the only reason I watched WD.

Master
    I agree that it won't be the same without Edd, and hopefully won't turn into reality TV fake arguments - they had a nice balance between the two of them.

Edd did do an extra section in one or two series in the middle where he visited the car some time later and wasn't very successful as he was a bit wooden when interviewing people rather than having his hands deep in the engine.

Also always found it funny that they would have so many shots of the orange gloves only in the engine - almost as if it weren't always Edd's hands in them :)

Craftsman
    He has morels and fair play to him, I hope he does well.

Brewer lives down the road from me in Leamington and regularly see him out and about. Not spoken to him yet though but supposed to be OK.

Master
    i have really enjoyed Edds contribution to the show,that comes from a jaded 60 something who has spent most of his working life running his garage business,now thankfully semi-retired.i have seem many Mike Brewer type salesmen over the years.they are easy to spot,they leave a trail of slime like a snail....

Master
    Shame that, don't see how the garage segments are 'too difficult' to produce. I liked Edd and found his segments interesting, in some ways it's what's missing from a lot of TV - so you might never use your new found knowledge on how to fix a Merc sunroof - but it's the critical reasoning skills and approach that is useful and interesting.

You only have to look at Discos Gold Rush, a totally ruined show, don't get me started on locker auctions.

Another noteworthy resignation is Aaron Kaufman on Gas Monkey Garage, looks like another 'must do a bling car in a week with swearing' was a car too much.

Blog Entries
    I've just come across this thread - what a shame! I have watched WD from the very start and have always enjoyed it. My go-to TV, to waste some time is WD on Discovery/Discovery Turbo/Quest etc.

If my wife asks my kids "What's dad doing?", their stock answer, day or night, is "He's probably watching Wheeler Dealers" :-)

As many have said, I enjoyed Edd's section the most; I wasn't bothered with the buying and selling part and that has been confirmed by hearing that it was set-up in the main.

Hope Edd stays on our screens in some format, as I think he has much more to offer.

Master
    Surprised no one has mentioned TG. If they have a change of cast he could be a James May type

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned TG. If they have a change of cast he could be a James May type

Ed was involved in the old top gear, i believe he built all the custom cars and contraptions.

Looks like new top gear have found someone else to do it though

Watching Edd methodically and skilfully go about turning wrecks back into objects of desire was a pleasure, best of luck to him.

Master
    tbh I only ever watch the show because of the Edd parts... if 'the other guy' comes on then that's an excuse to channel hop and then come back a few seconds later when the workshop is back on screen. I watched one at the weekend where there was a nice air-cooled 911...

One thing I've always wondered.... is Edd REALLY that knowledgeable/good or are there hours of background work behind each minute of screen workshop. For example everything comes apart real easy despite decades of rust and grime. My personal experience of 'old car' work is 2 hours of swearing, muck, grazed knuckles for every 10 mins of actual repair. ;-)

Master
    RIP WD, the only car show my Mrs will watch, even repeats.
    This will be the only celebrity death I will give a toss about.

That's a real shame. I've been watching since the early days and have always enjoyed the show immensely. I have to say that I noticed a change for the worse though when they moved to the US in the recent series and it started to become too scripted. I respect Edd for jumping ship now if he feels that he's being compromised.

FWIW my mate sold the silver RX7 to Mike about 4 years ago. It wasn't one of Edd's best jobs to be honest (snake skin alloys and a huge intercooler were pretty much all they did) but I did get to meet Mike when the filmed the parts where he goes to buy then car, and he was honestly a nice bloke who took time out to chat cars (mostly Mk2 Golfs) and watches (mostly Rolex) with me in between the filming segments.

RIP WD

Craftsman
    The end of an era, with Ed gone I doubt it'll be anything like it was before.

I'll still give it watch as Ant Anstead is also good to watch, a worthy replacement if there was one.

I saw that Ant Anstead was replacing Edd before Edd's comments were published. At that point I thought Ant was a good replacement having enjoyed his TV work to date and, clearly, he knows his onions. I'm a casual WD viewer, so whilst I like Edd, I wasn't devastated to see him go. Now we have some background I fear Ant is probably ill-advised to take the role and could (and should) do better. Dumbing down will be the death knell for WD sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I'm pretty sure I remember a thread on pistonheads or somewhere where they were discussing the £1k Porsche Boxster WD purchased.

The guy who sold it was on the thread and as you'd expect the production company was in touch beforehand to take a good look around the car and told him how it would go for camera. He got his original asking price and it was £1k for the camera only.

Edd's bits were interesting, but even then it's obvious some work had been prepped, I mean how easily did some of those 20 year old nuts come off?!

But, it's an entertainment show at the end of the day, and none the worse for it. I don't really want to wait 10 mins whilst he waits for some penetrating oil to soak in!
    The production company were going to use my L322 Range Rover in an episode, showing it as a fine example and what they should be like against the blue painted object of derision they'd bought.
    A time and place for filming all booked and they called two day before to move the day to the following day after that arranged.
    When i said i can't make that day due to prior arrangements they got a bit strippy and said "but we've planned it now you have to come, don't you want to see your car on the show and maybe even meet Mike Brewer"....... Err sorry, not enough to cancel a prior arrangement due to your cock-up and especially as there's no fee involved. :D

The workshop bits were the highlight, when Edd would strip down a PS pump or turbo rather than go and get a part off the shelf.

I hope they don't start with the inane horsing around that plagues these US made auto shows.

You could see the meddling in a recent series when MB was given some spanners. Didn't feel right.

'OLD OUT YER AND!!'
    Never fails to make me cringe.
    Agree..Ed IS the show, be a big ask to replace him.

Master
    So it seems the split might not be all it seems...

http://sniffpetrol.com/2017/03/22/ed.../#.WNJo1MvfXxw

Blog Entries
    IMO just became a clapped out formula with quite honestly the garage parts being the only interest all the rest of the show was on occasions just at best laughable and at worst cringeworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

That's just silly. The site says 'car based drivel' well the last word applies.

Edd China leaves cost cutting Wheeler Dealers

Classic!

"Wheeler Dealers will continue on the Velocity Channel who bought the format for an unusually low price, re-built the cylinder heads, had it re-sprayed and sold it for a profit margin that didn’t really seem to account for all the work put into it."

Master
    That's just silly. The site says 'car based drivel' well the last word applies.
    Didn't this give it away?

‘Edd tried his best to understand what Mike was on about, but he was never sure if it was some kind of East London patois or if he’d had a stroke,’ another friend of the 9’10” standing-underneath-cars fan revealed. ‘In most cases he’d just say “absolutely” and then de-cloud the headlights and hope that was alright.’

Damn, I need my eyes testing!

Excellent.

TBH I'm surprised anyone is bothered.

The whole thing is so fake (like all "reality" shows), the cars need so little doing to them and are bought for laughably cheap prices then sold on after a hundred hours work to make a monkey or so.

Nonsense.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Well, I guess I won't be watching any more. Edd's sections were the only reason I watched WD.

Me too.

Edd is an absolute genius.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    sold on after a hundred hours work to make a monkey or so.

'old out ya 'Annnndd.

Master
    Amazed this is still on. I thought they were reruns from years gone by.

Edd was easily the only reason worth watching.

So its got to be 'dumbed down' for those with a short attention span and americanised. Oh good, wont be watching that anymore .

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    That's a real shame. I've been watching since the early days and have always enjoyed the show immensely. I have to say that I noticed a change for the worse though when they moved to the US in the recent series and it started to become too scripted. I respect Edd for jumping ship now if he feels that he's being compromised.

FWIW my mate sold the silver RX7 to Mike about 4 years ago. It wasn't one of Edd's best jobs to be honest (snake skin alloys and a huge intercooler were pretty much all they did) but I did get to meet Mike when the filmed the parts where he goes to buy then car, and he was honestly a nice bloke who took time out to chat cars (mostly Mk2 Golfs) and watches (mostly Rolex) with me in between the filming segments.

RIP WD
    Did your mate really buy it back from them after?

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Did your mate really buy it back from them after?
    He did, yes. It's sat in his garage. He hasn't driven it much since. I think he needs some new wheels and to get the stickers off, but that would leave him with just a re-map and a bigger intercooler for his outlay!