closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: G Shock atomic synch

G Shock atomic synch

I am curious as to how my Riseman synchs to the UK atomic clock.

I usually have to leave it near a window and it syncs in the early hours of the morning. It seems quite sensitive to positioning and if left any distance away from said window it fails to sync. This is of no concern as its mentioned in the user manual and there are many comments on line to this effect.

However, what I find strange is that if I wear it in bed, despite not being next to a window it syncs without fail.

Is my body acting as some kind of aerial? I find this most odd.

Here is a shot from my bed, I kept it on last night and it sync'd at 0105hrs today

....and here is a shot from it on my bedside cabinet no more than a foot away - if I leave it here it wont sync

Master
    I've noticed the same with mine ocassionally - it will sync on my body but if i leave it on a window sill on the south side of the house it won't sync. Window sill on the north side (facing Anthorn) and it's fine.

Edit: I thought there was something in the manual about it working better on whatever side of a building is closer to the broadcast but perhaps that was just something I read on here!

According to Google, the electrical field generated by the body is so weak that special instruments are needed to measure it. I am wondering how this can have any significant effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    According to Google, the electrical field generated by the body is so weak that special instruments are needed to measure it. I am wondering how this can have any significant effect?
    A regular aerial doesn't generate any electromagnetic fields, so I don't think it has anything to do with the body's ability to function as an aerial. I have noticed too that my watches synch better when worn.

Master
    When I acquired my first atomic G-Shock I was careful to place it in a position near to the window to allow it to synch. This soon lapsed and it found itself in my glass topped wooden watch box the other side of the room, as it (and subsequent atomic Gs) has done every night since. The room is on the south side of the house, but the position of the box is nowhere near the window, yet it/they synch every night without fail. Almost always at 01:02. Clever stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    A regular aerial doesn't generate any electromagnetic fields, so I don't think it has anything to do with the body's ability to function as an aerial. I have noticed too that my watches synch better when worn.
    Well if that's the case I find it even more confusing as to why wearing it makes such a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    When I acquired my first atomic G-Shock I was careful to place it in a position near to the window to allow it to synch. This soon lapsed and it found itself in my glass topped wooden watch box the other side of the room, as it (and subsequent atomic Gs) has done every night since. The room is on the south side of the house, but the position of the box is nowhere near the window, yet it/they synch every night without fail. Almost always at 01:02. Clever stuff.
    What about if you wear it?

The human body can act as an antenna. Try listening to a weak FM signal on an ordinary portable radio, then hold the aerial with your hand. You might notice a change even if it isn't an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    The human body can act as an antenna. Try listening to a weak FM signal on an ordinary portable radio, then hold the aerial with your hand. You might notice a change even if it isn't an improvement.
    Ive found a few links such as this

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/a...man-tv-antenna

It would appear that the conductive electrolytes in your body in effect turn you into a big aerial

Maybe similar to that thing where if you hold your car key fob to your head it will open your car a greater distance away that just holding it normally ?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Maybe similar to that thing where if you hold your car key fob to your head it will open your car a greater distance away that just holding it normally ?
    Really?

Must try that later on

Mine vary between models in the same spot! The 5610 synchs without fail, even when it is in a draw, whereas the Rangeman, GX56 and GA-1000 sometime do and sometimes don't (and not all together) even when all four watches are next to one another. I did wonder if it might relate to their state of sleep (ie. if I've worn one then when it tries to synch it hasn't gone into deep sleep mode, whereas the others have switched their screens off [and in the case of the GA-1000 the hands have stopped to conserve battery life)?

My GS 4000 is the same, it only sync's when I put in on. I was disappointed when I wore it abroad that it did not adjust to the different time zone?

Don't you have to change the world time function to the nearest city manually?

It will then sync to the nearest atomic clock

That's how I read the intructions

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    My GS 4000 is the same, it only sync's when I put in on. I was disappointed when I wore it abroad that it did not adjust to the different time zone?
    I'm pretty sure that's because you have to set a "Home" location as a base default and then differentials are displayed for different locations based off that. Not being GPS enabled, (I'm assuming - apologies if incorrect), it won't know where in the world you are and so won't automatically re-adjust. You would've had to scroll through to the relevant time zone and it then it would be bob on.

My trouble with that is I can never remember the correct key strokes/depressions. Being a bit sad, I uploaded the manual for mine to some cloud storage and I refer do it when I get there having got frustrated with fruitlessly mucking about with it before I do.....

EDIT - What Velorum says :)

I've noticed a massive difference between models in regard to synching. I have 4 solar/atomics at present, by far the best 'syncher' is a gw3500 which is on a bracelet, it literally synchs every night at 1:02, 365 days a year whether in a cupboard or on my wrist. My gw6900 and 5610 are pretty good, say 4 days out of 5. However, the steel cased gwf1000 frogman is by far the worst, maybe once a week on the windowsill (but every night if worn!?) - i wonder if the steel cased watches are somehow shielded a little whereas the resin cases give the signal more access to the antenna? All very odd, I've also noticed the frogman has a feeble alarm unless slightly loose on the wrist when the beeps somehow seem to echo. I'm not sure solid metal cased G's play as nicely with new generation technology maybe?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Don't you have to change the world time function to the nearest city manually?

It will then sync to the nearest atomic clock

That's how I read the intructions
    Yes, that's how I read it. When you arrive at your destination you need to set to the new 'home' signal. Makes it more of a faff than just manually changing it really though !

My metal case with a metal bracelet Seiko SBPG001 seems to be the most sensitive to sync location within the house yet my 3 G-Shocks, including a GW-5000, sync wherever I place them - I think! I might have a little experiment with them, more out of curiosity's sake than anything else.

With regards to sync'ing when abroad, the first time I took my GW-3000 out of the UK I foolishly thought that it would automatically adjust... I'd forgotten that I'd set a home time as well as setting the DST. As I now understand it the transmitters send multiple time sync pings, each transmission is for a different time, and that's why the watch needs to have it's home time set and then adjusted when moved from one country to another else it will keep on taking notice of the wrong transmission. Each sync transmission is a slightly different frequency, choosing a home time tells the watch which frequency to tune in to.
    Last edited by CardShark; 21st March 2017 at 12:19.

Master
    What about if you wear it?
    Mine always synch at night and I don't wear a watch at night, so I don't know. Sounds like an experiment is needed: wear watch at night and try sleeping in different rooms. Might raise some questions from the good lady!

Perhaps body enhanced signal reception is improved when your antennae is extended... actually no, I don't want to know.

Banned
    Blog Entries

However, what I find strange is that if I wear it in bed, despite not being next to a window it syncs without fail.

Is my body acting as some kind of aerial?
    You would think that indeed. When I was a kid playing with transistor radios I was amazed by how radio (and television) signal would be affected by your body.
    Your mass of conductive body is probably amplifying the signal. Mind you, it only needs to affect the signal ever so little:
    I am as 2500 kms and use a Citizen waveceptor amplifier. That is nothing but some copper wire wound around an iron core. The coil and core combo is no larger than a finger. Put the watch with the antenna parallel next to it and presto.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I am as 2500 kms and use a Citizen waveceptor amplifier. That is nothing but some copper wire wound around an iron core. The coil and core combo is no larger than a finger. Put the watch with the antenna parallel next to it and presto.
    I think that this is a form of passive radiator. The coil absorbs the waves then retransmits them so that they constructively combine. They effectively are concentrated onto the watch.

A TV aerial works the same way, that's why they have an array of progressively larger bars.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I think that this is a form of passive radiator. The coil absorbs the waves then retransmits them so that they constructively combine. They effectively are concentrated onto the watch.

A TV aerial works the same way, that's why they have an array of progressively larger bars.
    Passive it is. No power source.
    It is simply induction. The relatively (to the watch receiver coil) because of the size gets way more 'excited' by the waves and so 'amplifies' the signal for the watch coil put inside that field:

Really?

Must try that later on
    It's a odd thing, but it does work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LYeXuM_xL1M
    Cheers..
    Jase

G-Shocks will not synch to atomic time signals when in close proximity to a poltergeist controlled bedside lamp.

Journeyman
    One odd thing I find is that my fairly ancient junghans mega will sync to the radio signal from Frankfurt from pretty much anywhere in the house whereas my much more modern Bering radio controlled watch will only sync to the uk electronic clock from a south facing upstairs window.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    G-Shocks will not synch to atomic time signals when in close proximity to a poltergeist controlled bedside lamp.
    Oh no!

Its happening again!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...t=bedside+lamp

Quote Originally Posted by r1ch View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's because you have to set a "Home" location as a base default and then differentials are displayed for different locations based off that. Not being GPS enabled, (I'm assuming - apologies if incorrect), it won't know where in the world you are and so won't automatically re-adjust. You would've had to scroll through to the relevant time zone and it then it would be bob on.

My trouble with that is I can never remember the correct key strokes/depressions. Being a bit sad, I uploaded the manual for mine to some cloud storage and I refer do it when I get there having got frustrated with fruitlessly mucking about with it before I do.....

EDIT - What Velorum says :)
    Ta for that, looks a though its staying home on the next trip.

I monitored mine last night, to see which picked up the hour change.
    Left 4 modern Atomic G's next to each other.
    3 out of 4 synced (5610 didn't). Both my Seiko atomic clocks synced, as did my old Waveceptor (left well away from windows!)
    Never expected the 5610 to be the one to let me down

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    It's a odd thing, but it does work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LYeXuM_xL1M

Possibly useful if you can't find your car in the car park
    Always amazes me the number of people you see wandering around a car park looking for their car!
    In the multi storey I often hear "It is definitely on this floor, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    ... Never expected the 5610 to be the one to let me down ...
    Weird .... always the complete opposite down here .... my 5610 is always the most reliable in terms of synching compared to my other three (they aren't bad, but the 5610 never misses)!

My rangeman always syncs if i wear it to bed, but will often not sync if I don't. I had wondered about this too, seems other people have noticed the same thing so I can stop worrying about been some sort of weird antenna!

The Riseman synched at 4 minutes past 1 (2 as it then became) - I was wearing it in bed

Quote Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
    Weird .... always the complete opposite down here .... my 5610 is always the most reliable in terms of synching compared to my other three (they aren't bad, but the 5610 never misses)!
    I actually own 2x 5610 (don't ask!). One did sync, the other didn't, and sat next to each other!

It's not solar atomic, or even a g shock, but when i manually set all my Casio digitals this morning my humble calculator watch (£15 a couple of years ago from Amazon!) was still exactly correct to the second! I've been monitoring it casually for about 18 months and it doesn't lose or again at all. Actually a bit spooky!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I actually own 2x 5610 (don't ask!). One did sync, the other didn't, and sat next to each other!
    Again the same 5610 was the only watch not to Sync last night. Definitely set to AUTO.
    Just did a manual receive, which it completed quickly!