closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iTunes library issue

iTunes library issue

Gents, I know there are some clever technology types here- if anyone can give me some pointers on this little conundrum I'll be most grateful.

Background is that I travel a lot and my constant companion in my briefcase is an iPod Classic with quite a big music library- around 11,500 tracks. They are all ripped from my CD collection. I set up a standalone iTunes account for the music library and controlled it from a MacBook Air with an external hard drive to store the material.

A while ago the MacBook picked up a virus and while the work files etc on it had been backed up everything else was lost. I have another dozen or so CDs I want to add to my iPod but since the crash I haven't dared to attempt connecting it to the Mac as the thought of having to reload or recreate a library of this size makes me feel queasy!

If anyone can make any useful suggestions to a tech numpty that would be great, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Gents, I know there are some clever technology types here- if anyone can give me some pointers on this little conundrum I'll be most grateful.

Background is that I travel a lot and my constant companion in my briefcase is an iPod Classic with quite a big music library- around 11,500 tracks. They are all ripped from my CD collection. I set up a standalone iTunes account for the music library and controlled it from a MacBook Air with an external hard drive to store the material.

A while ago the MacBook picked up a virus and while the work files etc on it had been backed up everything else was lost. I have another dozen or so CDs I want to add to my iPod but since the crash I haven't dared to attempt connecting it to the Mac as the thought of having to reload or recreate a library of this size makes me feel queasy!

If anyone can make any useful suggestions to a tech numpty that would be great, thank you.
    If I'm understanding the problem correctly when you connect to iTunes it usually syncs automatically, but with no library file after the virus it will be unable to find the file so wipe the iPod. Can you not just set iTunes to manual sync only? Open iTunes on the computer, go to preferences, devices, tick the box that says 'Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically'. All the stuff on the iPod should be fine after this and then you control what you put on there, not iTunes.

I'm only applying common sense here and can't guarantee it will work, but that's what I'd do. I've never synced automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    If I'm understanding the problem correctly when you connect to iTunes it usually syncs automatically, but with no library file after the virus it will be unable to find the file so wipe the iPod. Can you not just set iTunes to manual sync only? Open iTunes on the computer, go to preferences, devices, tick the box that says 'Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically'. All the stuff on the iPod should be fine after this and then you control what you put on there, not iTunes.

I'm only applying common sense here and can't guarantee it will work, but that's what I'd do. I've never synced automatically.
    I think you've put my concern into words far better than I could've. I've always synced automatically.

Can the sync be done "in reverse" from the iPod to iTunes on the Mac?

There was a software called senuti (iTunes in reverse) that could do that. Let me have a look
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Yep, still there. Have a look
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I'm sure it used to be able to be done , Senuti was the program ( iTunes reversed) never done it myself.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I think you've put my concern into words far better than I could've. I've always synced automatically.

Can the sync be done "in reverse" from the iPod to iTunes on the Mac?
    Obviously do the iTunes, tick box thing before taking the iPod anywhere near the computer

I've always found it a real ball ache to not be able to transfer the library from the device back to the iMac but I might try that Senuti.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    There was a software called senuti (iTunes in reverse) that could do that. Let me have a look
    If you were a girl I'd kiss you! That looks like it will do the trick, thank you.

Craftsman
    Senuti's free version has a track limit of 1000 songs. There are a few free alternatives that do not have a limit.

Here is a list and comparison. -> https://www.iskysoft.com/itunes-tips...ternative.html