timefactors watches
Results 1 to 40 of 40

Thread: Helmet Advice

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,343

    Helmet Advice

    I've completed the CBT and purchased a cheap Chinese twist and go 125cc scooter. It's my first ever bike so I went to the local motorcycle shop and went for a cheap 75 helmet. After a couple of commutes I haven't got used to the weight of the thing and I don't really like the visor down. I guess having been a cyclist for so long I find it restrictive.

    The bike cost 700. Should I go back to the shop and try a few more helmets and raise my Budget or should I just man up?

    Is it worth spending more on something I find comfortable or is it just a waste of cash on a cheap bike for an occasional 8 mile round trip commute?

    Any suggestions on a decent commuting helmet?

  2. #2
    I'd buy the best you can. The cost of the bike is irrelevant, it's your head you are protecting.

    Find a known brand, or lots of them, and try them on for fit - it should be snug but comfortable. I will only buy Arai, but that's because of the fit for my head, and I trust them - I had a very bad crash at 17, and one saved my life.

    There are always sales on for decent kit, so you don't have to pay hundreds, and there are some very well respected brands, and not all are crazy prices, but there is high levels of brand loyalty.

    I would have a preference in order of:

    Arai
    Shoei
    Schuberth
    Bell
    AGV
    HJC

    Worth a look here

    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot.../page_0/max_20
    It's just a matter of time...

  3. #3
    Apprentice wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    155
    Omegamanic has some good advice there. I would caveat it with the shape of your head. I can wear Shoei and Schuberth fine but Arai doesn't work for me. My head is quite round.

    If you really are struggling you could also try Caberg but realistically if you don't find something in Omegamanic's list you need to try them on again.

    Budget for a pinlock and only buy a helmet with pinlock. Not helmets but good general advice - don't buy anything Oxford.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'd buy the best you can. The cost of the bike is irrelevant, it's your head you are protecting.

    Find a known brand, or lots of them, and try them on for fit - it should be snug but comfortable. I will only buy Arai, but that's because of the fit for my head, and I trust them - I had a very bad crash at 17, and one saved my life.

    There are always sales on for decent kit, so you don't have to pay hundreds, and there are some very well respected brands, and not all are crazy prices, but there is high levels of brand loyalty.

    I would have a preference in order of:

    Arai
    Shoei
    Schuberth
    Bell
    AGV
    HJC

    Worth a look here

    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot.../page_0/max_20

    Thanks I'll take a look and up my budget. Would a more expensive helmet not only offer better protection but perhaps be lighter? The one I have is a snug fit but weighs a ton and feels restrictive when I turn my head side to side.

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    328
    Shark are also a quality brand with helmets in all price brackets.

    Sports bike shop online is brilliant btw. You could also try fc-moto.de who are also superb.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sammyl1000; 21st March 2017 at 07:45. Reason: Typo

  6. #6
    Craftsman r1ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Northants, UK
    Posts
    711
    I am relieved at the content of this thread.

  7. #7
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mayfair & Surrey
    Posts
    14,337
    If you have a 10 head get a 10 helmet
    Follow Me on: Instagram Twitter



    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  8. #8
    Apprentice wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    Thanks I'll take a look and up my budget. Would a more expensive helmet not only offer better protection but perhaps be lighter? The one I have is a snug fit but weighs a ton and feels restrictive when I turn my head side to side.
    Probably. The more expensive helmets have more shell sizes. Cheaper helmers have 1 or 2 sizes for the entire helmet but different amounts of foam/padding to change the interior size for your head. You could have a S helmet which is the same overall size as an L or XL. Not comfortable, extra weight and wind noise.

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    not dan saf
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'd buy the best you can. The cost of the bike is irrelevant, it's your head you are protecting.

    Find a known brand, or lots of them, and try them on for fit - it should be snug but comfortable. I will only buy Arai, but that's because of the fit for my head, and I trust them - I had a very bad crash at 17, and one saved my life.

    There are always sales on for decent kit, so you don't have to pay hundreds, and there are some very well respected brands, and not all are crazy prices, but there is high levels of brand loyalty.

    I would have a preference in order of:

    Arai
    Shoei
    Schuberth
    Bell
    AGV
    HJC

    Worth a look here

    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot.../page_0/max_20
    This is the best advice!

    I nearly killed myself in 09 and thankfully the quality of helmet is what saved me.

    You only get one chance in this life, don't shorten it by poor kit.

    Any shop worth its salt ought to have a trained fitter so get them to help.

    Good luck and enjoy this great new world. Well done in cbt too!

    Jim

  10. #10
    Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    9,353
    While you're there, get an integral (full face) helmet even on a small bike. Jaws and tarmac don't interact well with each other.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 21st March 2017 at 10:12.

  11. #11
    I have a shoei neotec. Cost the best part of 500 but I'm not in the risk business when it comes to safety.

  12. #12
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Skegness UK
    Posts
    55
    Arai from a dealer who will size it to you. Expensive but worth it when it goes earth sky earth sky.

  13. #13
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    38
    I own several, but be aware that expensive and shopping by brand and reputation isn't always best.

    This is a good resource: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

    I have several lids, Arai, Schuberth - but also like the Caberg Duke I picked up reasonably last summer - and it is 5 star rated, RRP 149.
    For instance Schuberth's SR-2 is only 3 star rated, RRP 550

  14. #14
    Craftsman comdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Liverpool / somerset
    Posts
    304
    How much value do you put on your life, always go for broke with a helmet and buy the best you can, but make sure it fits.

  15. #15
    I've got a couple of Sharks after using Arai for years.
    My go to helmet now is a Shark Vision R cost about 175 (full face with sun visor, fits glasses, is light and has good side vision but a bit noisy).
    Be aware that flip front lids (I have the Shark Evoline) are heavier than standard full face ones, I rarely use the flip so not my best purchase.

  16. #16
    Craftsman Incredible Sulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West of 0 degrees longitude
    Posts
    602
    I currently have a Schuberth C3 Pro. First flip front I've had, and on balance probably the best fitting helmet I've had. Really quiet, built in flip down sun visor. The only downside is the cost. But, as others have said, you only have one head.

  17. #17
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    salisbury
    Posts
    93
    Try some on, get one that fits. Then have a look on flea bay, there are often people selling who have given up biking, or shops selling ex display helmets. Schuberth are releasing the C4, so might be some C3 Pro deals coming up, I have a Neotec and a C3 Pro, both great helmets, but fit is important.

  18. #18
    Master Vanguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    3,247
    Arai, they are always the most comfortable for me personally

  19. #19
    My advice would be to good to a good shop where they know how to fit helmets, it really makes a world of difference. Also try on several and expect it to be a tiny bit tight for the first 10 minutes or so. There should be no localised pain just a feeling of all around tightness.

    Full face are better than open face. Flip lids are also nice especially for town riding but they can be heavier than a full face.

    Have fun shopping.

  20. #20
    I am an Arai fan. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good helmet - look at their road ranges and discontinued / last seasons colours.

    Eg - http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/categori...s-2-Clearance/

    I usually buy last years' Chaser range every few years - I know they suggest a certain number of years age maximum but I take it as "worn years" rather than actual age so it doesn't bother me.

    You will get features like removable lining, spare parts are available too if you break something - with the price the weight tends to come down but often noise level increases. If you haven't already also get a set of ear plugs. If you are riding a fair bit then decent kit makes all the difference.

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    While you're there, get an integral (full face) helmet even on a small bike. Jaws and tarmac don't interact well with each other.
    Definitely - my mate looked v smart on his Bonneville with an open face helmet - until he came off and now has a scarred chin.

    You will find bike full face helmets pretty restrictive - especially peripheral vision - some have a wider angle of view than others - that can help.

    Congratulations on passing your CBT - I hope you enjoy many happy years of biking (and don't put your helmet to the test!)

    ATB

    Jon

  22. #22
    Master steptoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kingston
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    If you have a 10 head get a 10 helmet
    Seeing as any crash helmet has to reach minimum standards before it can legally be sold then if you could actually buy a new helmet for 10 than that will offer the same protection as the 500 helmet. It's usually a broken neck that kills and not the lack of quality of the outer shell.

    The price differences are a reflection of the materials and quality of the interiors, straps, visors and visor mechanism, vents or if it's a flip front etc. Plus on the more expensive helmets new interiors can be bought and fitted unlike on the cheaper options where once it's putrisd you have no choice but to chuck it.

    Find a manufacturer who's shape suits your head. I've a BMW or Schuberth helmet shaped head. Aria press on my forehead and shoei has too much space around my chin.

    My open face Momo is very comfortable and which i wear all year round.
    Last edited by steptoe; 21st March 2017 at 19:11.

  23. #23
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    oop north
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Seeing as any crash helmet has to reach minimum standards before it can legally be sold then if you could actually buy a new helmet for 10 than that will offer the same protection as the 500 helmet. It's usually a broken neck that kills and not the lack of quality of the outer shell.

    The price differences are a reflection of the materials and quality of the interiors, straps, visors and visor mechanism, vents or if it's a flip front etc. Plus on the more expensive helmets new interiors can be bought and fitted unlike on the cheaper options where once it's putrisd you have no choice but to chuck it.

    Find a manufacturer who's shape suits your head.
    Sorry Steptoe but that is incorrect info. You're right in saying they all have to meet a minimum standard but the well known expensive brands far exceed that standard making them superior. I'm not sure where the broken neck scenario came from either. What a good helmet will do is absorb the impact across the helmet and through the various shell layers where with cheap helmet your head maybe in tact (i.e the outer shell may not have been compromised) but your brain will have been smashing around in your skull.

    Getting a good fit is essential and personally I'm an Arai man and having unfortunately rigorously tested one in the past have great confidence in them.

    Don't be too put off by the prices and ask for discount. Some of the smaller independent shops give large discounts sometimes, especially on last years models they want to shift.

    My advice is minimum 200 spend.
    Last edited by spud767; 21st March 2017 at 21:56.

  24. #24
    Apprentice wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    155
    ^ agree

    All helmets pass the same *minimum standards*, but not all helmets are the same standard.

    If you want to cheap out get a Caberg. Lots of riding instructors use them as they're instructor's helmet. If not go Arai/Shoei plain colour and you'll get decent shell sizes and free pin lock. Maybe even sun visor.

  25. #25
    Grand Master 100thmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mayfair & Surrey
    Posts
    14,337
    To be fair I wear an open face Bell 500 of which I have 2-3 and ride a Harley in Jeans and Shirt so protection against the unlikely eventuality is not high on my agenda
    Follow Me on: Instagram Twitter



    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

  26. #26
    I only ever found Arai fit me properly tbh. Depends on your head shape, but as others have said get the best you can afford imho

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shropshire UK
    Posts
    1,153
    Get the best you can afford and something that fits correctly. Go try on a load and buy the one that feels the best, at first it will feel alien and claustrophobic but will pass, a lid that is too big will offer poor protection in an accident.

    Im a Shoei gal :). Love Shark designs but they dont fit my head as Im inbetween sizes :(

    Last years colours can usually be found at reduced prices.

    I would steer clear of ebay S/H as you dont know 100% if theyve been dropped or abused.
    Last edited by LuBee; 21st March 2017 at 21:35.

  28. #28
    Helmet City are prett good, as you might be given their name.

    By way of a heads up (see what I did there?) on Arai, new version are coming in the summer, so expect good deals then on current stock.
    Andy

  29. #29
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    145
    I like my HJC's, using a carbon one just now and it's light and more importantly fits me well. I've used HJC for a while now and as they cover a huge price range, there will be something for everyone.

    As many people have said, it has to fit and it has to be fastened. After that it is down to budget and feel, I could afford Arai but, they simply don't fit me.

  30. #30
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    99
    My advise would be get an arai or shoei in a sale. Head shapes tend to fit one or the other. Shoei (NXR) for me as arai don't fit.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Sorry Steptoe but that is incorrect info. You're right in saying they all have to meet a minimum standard but the well known expensive brands far exceed that standard making them superior. I'm not sure where the broken neck scenario came from either. What a good helmet will do is absorb the impact across the helmet and through the various shell layers where with cheap helmet your head maybe in tact (i.e the outer shell may not have been compromised) but your brain will have been smashing around in your skull.

    Getting a good fit is essential and personally I'm an Arai man and having unfortunately rigorously tested one in the past have great confidence in them.

    Don't be too put off by the prices and ask for discount. Some of the smaller independent shops give large discounts sometimes, especially on last years models they want to shift.

    My advice is minimum 200 spend.
    Agreed with the first three paragraphs - most head injuries are brain twist injuries, as you term smashing around in your skull - I was lucky, very lucky (wearing my brother's top of the range Arai, 250 27 years ago!) still caused a lot of damage though.

    As to price, you can usually find last years model discounted, so maybe a 300 helmet could be 150 or even a little less.

    Some brands just don't fit some people though - for example Shark to me are the worst possible helmet, but that's most likely because they are the most uncomfortable for my shape of head, with too many pressure points around my skull. Arai, Shoei, and Schuberth are comfy for me.

    I don't hold much regard for the sharp test - but at least it's a standard.
    It's just a matter of time...

  32. #32
    Master steptoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kingston
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Sorry Steptoe but that is incorrect info. You're right in saying they all have to meet a minimum standard but the well known expensive brands far exceed that standard making them superior. .
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    ^ agree

    All helmets pass the same *minimum standards*, but not all helmets are the same standard.
    But the minimum standard far exceeds anything that presumes the helmet is inferior and what you'll ever encounter in an impact and still be alive.
    Having a so called superior helmet doesn't make you more invincible.
    If an impact destroys a cheaper helmet that meets minimum standard it'll also destroy an expensive helmet.

  33. #33
    Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    9,353
    The problem isn't whether the helmet is destroyed or not. After any hard contact with Mr Tarmac or anything else you should replace your helmet anyway.
    The issue is how much of the energy of the impact hits your head and your brain.
    So your statement above is incorrect. The minimum standards are just what a helmet needs to meet to be CE approved and therefore road legal. So much so that the US standards are different.
    So a better helmet will disperse impact better and the energy will be better dissipated at a higher speed than a lesser helmet.

  34. #34
    Master steptoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kingston
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The problem isn't whether the helmet is destroyed or not. After any hard contact with Mr Tarmac or anything else you should replace your helmet anyway.
    The issue is how much of the energy of the impact hits your head and your brain.
    So your statement above is incorrect. The minimum standards are just what a helmet needs to meet to be CE approved and therefore road legal. So much so that the US standards are different.
    So a better helmet will disperse impact better and the energy will be better dissipated at a higher speed than a lesser helmet.
    No. A better helmet isn't safer. It's simply better for other reasons, comfort extras etc..

    Your body will give in before the minimum standard is even reached. :D

  35. #35
    Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    9,353
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    No. A better helmet isn't safer. It's simply better for other reasons, comfort extras etc..

    Your body will give in before the minimum standard is even reached. :D
    No.
    You are talking about homologation, where the maximum number of 'g's that are transferred to the head. This energy depends on the distance between the outside of the helmet and your head, and the speed of the impact.
    Since the norm says the amount of g to the head cannot exceed 275g. Then you can consider HIC but the norm is (I believe) extremely high (= you're dead). In this respect all homologated helmets are identical
    This test assumes the impact is on one point, and crushing. The only way for a helmet to improve on this particular test is to be bigger, i.e. to increase the distance between the shell of the helmet and your head to spread the deceleration.
    The Sharp tests are probably more interesting although he rating needs to be standardised. the rating is unclear. The advantage is that the results are not binary (pass or fail, as for homologated helmets).
    It shows that not all expensive helmets are better than the cheap ones, and that even reputed brands can have significant differences between models.
    But more to the point it shows that all helmets are not identical in terms of protection.

  36. #36
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    oop north
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    No. A better helmet isn't safer. It's simply better for other reasons, comfort extras etc..

    Your body will give in before the minimum standard is even reached. :D
    This is simply not true, they are safer and the helmet does not have to reach it's critical limit either. Let's try and put it another way. If you hit your head with a certain force in a cheap helmet the damage to your brain will be more than if you hit your head in the same way in a better quality one. It's the way the helmet reacts to an impact.

    This is why you should change your helmet after an impact even though there may only be superficial damage to look at on the outside. The interior structure maybe compromised.

    It's like having crumple zones on a car. You may well be protected in a car without crumple zones but you'll fair better with them as the impact is absorbed.

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,343
    A new Shoei open face J.O helmet with intergrated visor arrived today from the store Omegamanic suggested. It feels light, comfortable and has made the commute into work so more enjoyable. It's funny how I could be reluctant to spend 300 on a helmet but wouldn't have a Problem spending the same on a Budget watch!

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    I own several, but be aware that expensive and shopping by brand and reputation isn't always best.

    This is a good resource: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

    I have several lids, Arai, Schuberth - but also like the Caberg Duke I picked up reasonably last summer - and it is 5 star rated, RRP 149.
    For instance Schuberth's SR-2 is only 3 star rated, RRP 550
    This is a great resource, and it shows price doesn't necessarily equate with safety.

  39. #39
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    oop north
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    A new Shoei open face J.O helmet with intergrated visor arrived today from the store Omegamanic suggested. It feels light, comfortable and has made the commute into work so more enjoyable. It's funny how I could be reluctant to spend 300 on a helmet but wouldn't have a Problem spending the same on a Budget watch!
    Just try not to land on your face.

  40. #40
    Apprentice wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    155
    Open face is brave in the uk but I guess Southampton is quieter than London.

    Hopefully it's warm enough or not needed in winter!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •