closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hour hand off centre?

Apprentice

Hour hand off centre?

I have this Seiko skx009 and the hour had is slightly off on the hour. Is this an easy fix? Thanks.

Not really sure about how to fix it ,but surely it doesn't bother you that much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight forward if you have the skill and tools needed.
    Last time I did that was on an Orient and all went well, I still have the Watch it's a keeper.
    If in doubt get a pro to do it shouldn't be expensive.

Easy for someone who knows how! I don't think that amount of mis-alignment would bother me too much. How many times do you look at the time when it's bang on the hour like that?

I doubt if a jeweller would charge you more than a tenner, maybe fifteen quid, to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I doubt if a jeweller would charge you more than a tenner, maybe fifteen quid, to fix that.
    My local jewellers would certainly charge no more than that, but would get dust on the dial, and scratch the crystal at the same time. I would put up with it until its next service, since it's not causing ambiguity.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Call me OCD but i couldn't live with it like that. Easy fix but i'd be sending it to my horologist

Apprentice
    It is a pretty easy fix really, any competent jeweller should be able to do it with ease.

All that is wrong is that the hand has either slipped on the spline, or was not quite put on right in the first place. The case back will need to come off, crown and winding stem removed and the movement/dial taken out. After that, the hands will need to be taken off (use the right tool for this!).

This next bit is important, something I did not get right the first time I built up my first watch - reinstall the winding stem and crown, click the crown out to the time setting step and rotate until the date just clicks over and then carefully put the hour hand back on (ideally lined up bang in 12 o'clock). After that it is min hand and second hand, dial and movement back in, reinstall stem and screw in case back. New gasket and pressure test if you feel the need.

If you don't do the date thing the hour hand might line up fine, but the date will not click over at midnight. My first home-build clicked over at 8:30am and it was a pain in the behind!

Hope this helps,

J

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboJames1972 View Post
    It is a pretty easy fix really, any competent jeweller should be able to do it with ease.

All that is wrong is that the hand has either slipped on the spline, or was not quite put on right in the first place. The case back will need to come off, crown and winding stem removed and the movement/dial taken out. After that, the hands will need to be taken off (use the right tool for this!).

This next bit is important, something I did not get right the first time I built up my first watch - reinstall the winding stem and crown, click the crown out to the time setting step and rotate until the date just clicks over and then carefully put the hour hand back on (ideally lined up bang in 12 o'clock). After that it is min hand and second hand, dial and movement back in, reinstall stem and screw in case back. New gasket and pressure test if you feel the need.

If you don't do the date thing the hour hand might line up fine, but the date will not click over at midnight. My first home-build clicked over at 8:30am and it was a pain in the behind!

Hope this helps,

J

Great first post!! Welcome aboard.

Grand Master
    It's an easy fix for someone with a bit of experience fitting hands. Fitting hands is a fiddly job and it takes care to get then aligned correctly. The hr hand has to be set correctly to get the date changing exactly on the hour, then the minute hand has to be aligned exactly with the hr hand. I always fit it loosly then check whether it's right. Checking at 6 o clock helps, it's easy to see any misalignment this way. The date should snap over between 12 and 5 past, that'll keep most folks happy.

Problems arise when the dial feet have been sprained and the dial isn't exactly concentric with the hr wheel. Wear to the centre wheel on old watches will introduce small errors , and dials thst are printed slightly off-centre will cause problems ( had this problem working on a Doxa last year). In these cases a repairer has to find the best compromise. In such cases I aim to get the best alignment at 6 o clock and 9 o clock because I think errors show up more if these points are wrong. My own 1950 Seamaster is an example, at a glance the hands seem very slightly out, but I know it's as good as it can be because I assembled it.

If the OP pays to get the hands refitted it's worth checking and adjusting the regulation at the same time whilst the watch is apart.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 20th March 2017 at 10:44.

Apprentice
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna see if I can bear with it for a while, not sure I can though. I'm a bit funny when things aren't right.
    I can't go to my local jeweller as he couldn't even put the strap back on a watch for me. I'll see if I can find another one locally.