closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster 125 bracelet question

Omega Speedmaster 125 bracelet question

Hi everyone,

I’ve had a search on the forum and even google but I was not able to find a definitive answer. I’m hoping one of you experts might be able to advise me on something.

I’ve been after a Speedmaster 125 in a reasonable condition at a sensible price quite a while now, still looking. As I have 8” wrists most of them I see for sale don’t have enough links to fit me so when an opportunity to purchase a NOS genuine Speedmaster 125 bracelet (still in package) for £180 I jumped in with both feet. I bought this from (groan) eBay... Please don’t laugh!

Anyway, the main point of me buying this is if I need some extra links then I have a NOS bracelet at the ready, or I can switch out to the NOS bracelet altogether.

So… bracelet has arrived and the model number is ST 1225 2122 but from what I’ve seen the original bracelet model number should be 1221 / 212. There are people selling ST 1225 2122 as a genuine Speedmaster 125 bracelet but if it is then why does the model number not match. My questions are:

Are the links from the ST 1225 2122 compatible with the links from the original 1221 / 212 bracelet? They look like they might be smaller than the original ones, its hard to tell the size from pictures.

Is the ST 1225 2122 a genuine Speedmaster 125 bracelet replacement or does it belong to another Speedmaster? In other words, can I complain item not as described?

Does anyway have a speedy 125 in reasonable condition at a reasonable price they might want to part with?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Rich.

Anyone...

Able to help me with this?

Thanks.

I suspect the reason for the discrepancy is that you have bought a modern service equivalent bracelet rather than a period NOS one, nothing wrong with that at all of course, its what you would get from Omega if you bought from them using the original reference, I have no idea if the new bracelets are compatible with the old though.
    It does wind me up a bit though, all these 'NOS' Omega items being sold when they are nothing of the sort.

I had a 125 many years ago and I can confirm is that although the 1221/212 was the original bracelet it was 'superseded' by the 1225/2122 - I can't confirm whether or not the links are interchangeable, although I doubt they are.
    Last edited by Stanford; 2nd April 2017 at 19:44.

Links on 'old' and ' new' bracelet are not interchangeable. In fact, main difference between bracelets is in link connection system. Reason is in the fact that 'old' bracelets had connection between links made by thin plated metal part that was easily subjected to the electrochemycal corrosion as a result of contact of two different metals and sweat of wearer/owner of the watch. Because of that 'old' bracelets in large number of cases had problem with this small connection parts of links. It is not rare to see bracelets that were broken due to this.

Omega decided to change that connection system, hence a 'new' bracelet.

Hope this helps...

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Chaps, that you very for taking the time to reply to me, that is really helpful and puts my mind at ease now.

I guess I should have done my homework more thoroughly but at least I've bought the correct part for the model of watch and its not a bracelet for a different model as that would really have annoyed me.

I just don't get why Omega would create a new part. I have an Omega Quartz which has a really chunky bracelet, which is what I imagined the SM 125 bracelet would look like. That is what started the alarm bells ringing.

Many thanks,

Rich.

Omega have recreated loads of parts for their vintage models, you can build whole 'vintage' watches from the parts list, the 'Watchco' SM300 is a prime example, these parts are what Omega use to cosmetically restore the old models whilst servicing.
    Cheers..
    Jase