closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vodafone online SIM change fiasco

Vodafone online SIM change fiasco

A little while back I posted a question as to whether changing a SIM card could improve mobile phone signal strength, as had been suggested by Vodafone.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...light=vodafone

Well to continue the story about the car crash that is Vodafone, yesterday morning I finally got around to changing the SIM. It didn't go well...

You get on to the webpage to change SIMs and it asks you to type in the number of the new SIM, which is 20 digits. Great, except there are only 19 letters/numbers on the SIM and despite the fact that experience has shown these details usually make a difference, I typed in the 19 digits. Fail. You aren't allowed to type letters only numbers so now I had 18 digits not twenty.

So I got onto the Vodafone online chat and told my tale of woe. Simple solution he says, just type in "87749" (or something equally random) as the first five digits and miss off the last 4 altogether. Simply brilliant. Nowhere but nowhere does it say this. So I thanked him and did just that.

I should say at this point that once you have pressed "Continue" it does warn you that your existing SIM will be disconnected, so I can't say I didn't know. Pressed "Continue" and hey presto - old SIM stops working. Trouble is, you guessed it, new SIM doesn't start working. No fall-back, nothing.

Down to the shop. Mercifully there is no queue. Guess what I'm told first? "Oh, you can't do online SIM swaps any more."

Well, self-flippin-evidently you can because I've just done it.

"And you were given the wrong type of SIM." Wrong type of SIM? Not the wrong size, but the wrong type.

I didn't realise there were different types of SIM (I'm not talking about different sizes here). Anyway, one trip to Vodafone later, the correct SIM was installed and all is now up and running, but what an unnecessary shambles.

Vodafone, top marks for incompetence that should be highlighted.
    Last edited by catch21; 20th March 2017 at 17:05. Reason: typo

In Vodafone's defence, absurd attempt obviously, but I recently mentioned to one of their operatives in their little Paddington stall, that I thought the service was poor compared to my business O2 based phone, the chap immediately gave me a new SIM and connected it, saying "see whether that's any better" . It wasn't , but I appreciated the effort.

echo echo, sorry
    Last edited by notnowkato; 20th March 2017 at 22:22.

Not a huge fan of Vodafone when they killed my mobile data and then after several attempts were unable to reactivate it. They kept saying it was working until I called the billing dept who confirmed it wasn't.

New SIM failed to cure it but new SIM from EE did...

I would probably go back once my EE SIM contract ends as the service does seem better but like all technology we take it for granted until it doesn't work and VF don't seem that great at getting SIMs sorted.

Master
    I had a surreal conversation with Vodafone live chat last week, was chasing an Amazon E-Voucher that should of arrived in 24 hours.
    Vinod (wonder whether thats his real name?)said it could not be processed as it was Sunday (he's obviously not in GMT timezone). I pointed out it was Saturday in the UK then he lost the plot:

Vinod: So you want the code to arrive on a Sunday Louise? We will have to ask them to come to office on Sunday ?
    Vinod: Not verify anything and process it directly for you on a Sunday !
    louise: But its Saturday today
    Vinod:I told you Saturday they are working 8 am to 8 pm

louise: So it should have processed it today if I ordered it yesterday
    Vinod:And that's why I was requesting you that as we have updated them with your email , you will get the email soon by Monday evening.
    louise: You are making no sense
    Vinod:YOu want it like Instant Noodles
    Vinod:That I should get it now!
    Vinod:I have told them now you should come and work on Sunday for our customers
    Vinod:Do not take any rest
    Vinod:Leave your family
    Vinod:Forget everything
    Vinod:And come and work on Sunday to process all this type of cases
    louise: Again you are making no sense. I don't think you should be working in customer service

I finally decided to spam their social media accounts and it got sorted (they told me I had to use live chat I told them where to go!)

The problem was theyd stopped Amazon as a Rewards Voucher but hadnt removed it from the website.

...and with that last line it all becomes clear, yes. Same problem, left hand right hand.