closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Screw heads damaged during bracelet resize ?

Journeyman

Screw heads damaged during bracelet resize ?

I recently had a bracelet resized, what i thought would be a 10 min job took the assistant approx an hour. That should have given me cause for concern but being happy with the fit off home i went without properly checking the watch over. Doh..

Ive just realised two of the screw heads are slightly mangled, obviously the screws are tiny anyway and the damage is even smaller, saying that i do feel a bit miffed as the watch was new.

Should i just get over it or go back and point it out, its so small i would feel a bit daft making an issue over it, but interested on the opinions here..

- - - Updated - - -

Will try and upload a pic
    http://pixady.com/image/mh8/
    Last edited by Bangers; 18th March 2017 at 14:44.

I wouldn't be happy with that on a brand new watch, especially as it looks like the bracelet link has been scratched too. I'd be taking it back to be rectified.

Check the link isn't damaged, and ask them to provide you with replacement screw and if scratched to buggery a spare link too.

Is that an oyster bracelet? Surely they train their staff? I have slight tremors in my hands, but I can change links without it looking like a gorilla did the job (& yes I know I look like one!).
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    OP, buy yourself a set of screwdrivers for future reference. I never ever let anyone else do this but me as I'm careful. Here's your pic uploaded btw...

& buy yourself a semi decent set of screw drivers, and pin pusher etc. etc. And you'll be able to do it yourself, using a little tape if you are concerned you might slip, in future

Banned
    The shop should replace any damaged parts no questions asked. This is why I always size the bracelets myself

What watch? (Was loctite involved?)
    Where did it happen?

All too common I'm afraid.
    All it takes it the wrong sized screwdriver and a screw head is stripped so easily.

Minuscule witness marks are often unavoidable, even if done correctly, but I would not accept a mangled screw head. They look sloppy and just plain horrible.
    And if they have scratches a link, shake them down for a replacement, or the cost of.

I would take it back and not be delicate in saying you want it rectified by someone who knows what they are doing.
    Last edited by Dent99; 18th March 2017 at 15:45.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies.

Its a Tudor Pelagos bracelet and yes there was loctite involved, this was removed and reapplied but apparently the pins had expanded and relocating then became an issue.

The link does have some tiny marks but many main gripe is the screw head. Just wish id done it myself now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Its a Tudor Pelagos bracelet and yes there was loctite involved, this was removed and reapplied but apparently the pins had expanded and relocating then became an issue.

The link does have some tiny marks but many main gripe is the screw head. Just wish id done it myself now.
    If you buy new, the manufacturer will sometimes supply two or so links for free. I would call the jeweller and have them arrange this. It's for those with larger wrists than the watch will fit. They'll come with screws, and then you can just remove these and fit the new ones in your own time, with a proper set of screwdrivers that won't mangle the screws.

They won't be cheap, but you'll have them for life.

I would get the AD to replace.

I ruined one for my GMT and it was £10 for a screw

Was this the AD. Taking an hour and mangling the screw heads means the person doing it didn't have the competency required. I would go back, point out the damage, and expect the screws to be replaced.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Same happened with mine, they are known to be a 'mare' as they are titanium which is lighter than steel but not as strong. At the time Tudor were not in the UK, so I had to smile sweetly and 'wear' the damage, after my weight loss went back and they managed to sort it as they now had an official Tudor tool kit for the Pelagos :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Same happened with mine, they are known to be a 'mare' as they are titanium which is lighter than steel but not as strong. At the time Tudor were not in the UK, so I had to smile sweetly and 'wear' the damage, after my weight loss went back and they managed to sort it as they now had an official Tudor tool kit for the Pelagos :-)
    An official tool kit?! That's such BS. In other words, they bought the correct sized screwdriver. I managed it at home on one of the first Pelagos from Switzerland; no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    An official tool kit?! That's such BS. In other words, they bought the correct sized screwdriver. I managed it at home on one of the first Pelagos from Switzerland; no issues.
    Apparently once their in house 'technician' was trained by Tudor he was issued an official toolkit, I have no idea what brand it is.

Grand Master
    Haven't the clumsy f****rs got the sense to apply heat before taking screws out? They'll be secured with Loctite and the only way to avoid chewing the heads is to release the grip of the threadlock. It's so easy to do if you apply a bit of heat, and there's no risk of damage if you're sensible. If they had a gas microtorch it would a simple job to do, or a soldering iron. Atatcking loctited screws without heat is a mistake, given the fact that they're supposed to be trained to do these jobs I`d assume they're taught this.

I had the same issue when I bought stepson's Omega from an overseas AD.

With the right tools and training screws can be taken out without marking anything. Staff should have the training and equipment to do this........plus the training to sort the scratch out if they do mark something. It isn`t difficult, the ADs need to better.

Paul

One of the screws in my jubilee is mangled like that, which means it is going to be a pain to change it myself... and I need some links moving.

I'd definitely not be happy with that: whatever the excuse.

Journeyman
    Well i just thought id have a look at the spare link that was removed with the thought of swapping the damaged screws in the bracelet myself if i was to purchase the correct tools.. Turns out both pins in the removed link have damaged heads too, worse than the ones in the bracelet. Not impressed! What i don't understand is why the assistant has tried to remove so many pins when only one link needed to be removed.

I now have no choice but to go back to the AD to sort this. Surely i am within my rights to get this sorted at their cost and they wont try and fob me off wih saying this happens with Ti bracelets etc etc?

Also, as the heads are so butchered is there a chance they have been cross threaded and therefore the link ruined?

The bracelet was brand new and the watch a week old. If i had time i would go to another AD for a second option, but i dont.

Ideally i would like the pins replaced and i refit them, however im not sure they would allow this (?), if they dont then im reluctant to let them have a second chance at fixing the new screws.

Yes, they should replace them, at their expense not yours. Point out that they have marked the bracelet too (albeit just a link or two), and if they can't sort it you would hope they would provide a new bracelet - that may make them take some notice and not try and fob you off.

Id be quite annoyed, especially with a one week old watch. Unlike stated above, the Ti screws actually have a higher tensile strength than steel, by approx. 20%.

It is unlikely the screws would be threaded - its undoing them that causes most issues - if they are sitting flat then they are probably threaded correctly.

I did have 2 bags of 10 spare Rolex bracelet screws, but I'm B'grd if I can find them :(

Make sure you also take the link they took out and get them to put that right as well.

Master
    I would say it's not up to them to 'allow' you to fit these. Having cocked it up once you are well within your rights not to let them have another go at wrecking your nice new strap.

I'd ask for the replacement parts for those they damaged, and either resize /replace myself or take the parts somewhere else.

I can't believe they wouldn't replace these, clearly a right mess caused by them. Let us know how you get on, I'm pretty good at complaint letters if they don't replace and you need a hand.

Craftsman
    Go to the AD and ask for new screws. Also ask the job to be done by someone who knows what he is doing. Everything should be done at the AD cost. If they don't want to do it, speak to a manager.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    Go to the AD and ask for new screws. Also ask the job to be done by someone who knows what he is doing. Everything should be done at the AD cost. If they don't want to do it, speak to a manager.
    I would go back to the AD and soeak to the manager. Ask why the problem arose and ask how the staff are trained to do the job. Ask why he thinks the screws sre difficult to remove. I too would ask for a set of replacement screws.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I know rolex has an official bracelet resizing kit but how many dealers have them I don't know....seems logical that tudor would have one being a sister company.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Blunt screwdriver.
    Same thing happens in many opticians.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I have since spoken to the AD and they have admitted fault and will replace the pins so the bracelet is back to its brand new condition.

I done this to my own speedy pro - correct sized screwdriver but unbeknown to me, the screws were loctite'd in. I had no chance of undoing it without heating up the loctite and managed to chew the screw head up, cue much swearing and much depression, took it to the AD and they resized it for me, humbling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Apparently once their in house 'technician' was trained by Tudor he was issued an official toolkit, I have no idea what brand it is.
    to me it sounds like they didn't do it correctly the second time because they had the official tool kit, but they did it correctly the second time because the technician had actually been trained by that point.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by coldors View Post
    I done this to my own speedy pro - correct sized screwdriver but unbeknown to me, the screws were loctite'd in. I had no chance of undoing it without heating up the loctite and managed to chew the screw head up, cue much swearing and much depression, took it to the AD and they resized it for me, humbling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I find it surprising that people don't use heat on the screws. Provided the screwdriver fits OK it becomes obvious when too much force is being applied and the screw isn't moving; at that point it's clear that the head will damage if the force is increased so the wise thing to do is heat the screws and soften the
    loctite.

No excuse for the staff in AD branches not knowing the right way to do it.

Paul