closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 5 movement upgrade question

Seiko 5 movement upgrade question

I have a cheap Seiko 5 SNKL07K1 (7S26-03T0) which I absolutely love.

Is it possible to swap the movement for a 6R15/NE15 to give hacking and hand-winding functionality - i.e. will the movement, crown stem, second hand pinion, etc. all fit in the case and under the existing crystal?

I might also want to swap the white second hand for a silver hand, and add a sapphire crystal at the same time.

Has anyone done something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post

Is it possible to swap the movement for a 6R15/NE15 to give hacking and hand-winding functionality - i.e. will the movement, crown stem, second hand pinion, etc. all fit in the case and under the existing crystal?

I might also want to swap the white second hand for a silver hand, and add a sapphire crystal at the same time.

It should be possible to swap the movement, and a 6r15 or 4r36 would drop in. There are a couple of things to be mindful of. Firstly the movement holder needs to be the same thickness; they're different for movements in diver watches. Secondly, the date wheels must be for a crown at three, not the crown at 4.
    Swapping the movement holder is an option but that involes partial disassembly of the dial side of the movement. You might have to do that anyway to keep the day wheel as the donor movement might not have that.
    Swapping the crystal would be a doddle and is just a case of finding the right size (width and depth).
    Your biggest problem though will be sorting out the best crown/stem that would work with that watch. Unfortunately the 7s26 stem doesn't fit the more advanced movements, and not all stems from existing watches are the same lengths.
    I wish you luck.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post

I fitted a 4R36, which is essentially a slightly down-specced 6R15, into a SNK case a few months back. Relatively straightforward although as noted below you need to check the movement spacer dimensions and swap out the stem. For more see below:

https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.com/2016/12/19/bubble-and-squeak-another-30-minute-mod/

Martin
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 4th May 2018 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    I fitted a 4R36, which is essentially a slightly down-specced 6R15, into a SNK case a few months back. Relatively straightforward although as noted below you need to check the movement spacer dimensions and swap out the stem. For more see below:

https://adventuresinamateurwatchfett...30-minute-mod/

Martin
    Thanks for the link. A great end result.

The 4R36 was my first thought but I wasn't sure whether the longer pinion for the second hand would fit under the existing crystal?