closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military Mk2.5

Apprentice

Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military Mk2.5

Hello all ,
    Just looking at the different Homage Divers watches and wanted to know if anyone owns or can give me an honest opinion regarding the Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military Mk 2.5 and even Steinhart in general ?
    With thanks .
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bigeard09 View Post
    Hello all ,
    Just looking at the different Homage Divers watches and wanted to know if anyone owns or can give me an honest opinion regarding the Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military Mk 2.5 and even Steinhart in general ?
    With thanks .
    Mike
    Steinhart are excellent quality watches and very good value for money. There are those on here that don't like homage watches, full stop - but others don't mind as long as it is a homage to a watch long out of production.

The Mark 2.5 is a bit of gimmick, the Mark 1 had a matt black dial that people like, the Mark 2 had a horrible charcoal grey dial that most people don't like. For the 2.5 they seem to have produced a dial which is nearer to the black, but not quite as good as the Mark 1 - so the likes of Gnomon (Steinhart main dealer in Singapore) listed it as a 2.5. It is not a limited or special edition.

I have had about 8 Steinharts over the past few years. Down to just one now, the Mark 1 vintage Red.

e-bay is a good place to look and the odd bargain can be had.

I've had 3 Steinharts - Ocean 1 Black Ceramic, Ocean Vintage GMT and Ocean 1 Vintage Red (as pictured above). By far... the OVR Mk1 is my favorite. Lack of cyclops makes it a little less "Rolex homage" for daily wear. Since buying mine... I've barely worn another watch!

For the price... its right up there. Mix it up with a selection of NATOs and leather straps and it covers a lot of bases!

Apprentice

Thanks

Thanks for your comments and opinions Guys . I was a little confused regarding the comment made by Wallasy Runner regarding the Mk 2.5 being a bit of a gimmick ! As I am not that knowledgable regarding watches in general can you explain a bit further please ? I personally like the vintage Lume on this watch as I do with the Precista 82 RN Divers watch and would like to know peoples opinion as to which one is the best .
    Thanks
    Mike

Mark 1 with matt black dial:

Mark 2 with charcoal grey dial:

Mark 2.5 currently available via the Gnomon website. The charcoal is ever so a little darker, but nowhere near dark as the black. I suspect most people looking at the Mark 2 and 2.5 will hardly be able to tell the difference - hence it is a gimmick to make out that it is something worth buying. I think the 2.5 lable is c**p, it is still a Mark 2. Hunt out a Mark 1, well worth the effort - one sold on e-bay on Saturday for £325.00.

I too have an Ocean 1 Vintage Red with black dial. Probably, bar 1 Rolex, the best watch I own.

There's is no comparision between the Vintage Red Mark 1 against the Mark 2

Personally, I think Steinhart made a right mess of the Mark 2, including the horrible charcoal grey dial, big yellowish plots.

Apprentice

choice

Hello all ,
    With thanks .
    Mike
    Any thoughts on choosing the Ocean Vintage 1 over the Ocean Vintage Military , or vice versa , even though they are the same price new ??? And which one in your expert opinions will hold its price better ?
    Many thanks
    Mike

Waiting for Mk 2.75:-)
    This has become somewhat of a joke.

Love my OVM 1 i bought here, barely been off my wrist since apart from a swap to my Tissot T-Race at odd weekends. Some dont like faux patina on anything but it suits it IMO. Love the vintage red too. The quality is excellent for the money. Equal to any TAG for instance costing a lot more (i have both) but i dont have to worry dinking it too much ..even though i do..... flat lugs not for all but i dont have big wrists & its fine.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice

Flat Lugs

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    Love my OVM 1 i bought here, barely been off my wrist since apart from a swap to my Tissot T-Race at odd weekends. Some dont like faux patina on anything but it suits it IMO. Love the vintage red too. The quality is excellent for the money. Equal to any TAG for instance costing a lot more (i have both) but i dont have to worry dinking it too much ..even though i do..... flat lugs not for all but i dont have big wrists & its fine.

Hi Lordloz , glad you mentioned the flat lugs as Ive read different opinions about them ! You said that you don't have big wrists but it was ok on your wrist . I only have 7" wrists so quite skinny and am concerned if the flat lugs would be ok on me ? Any opinions ?
    Thanks .
    Mike

Apprentice

OVM VERSES Ocean Red

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post

Still interested as to why these two steinharts are the same price and which one people prefer between the two ?
    Thanks

Still interested as to why these two steinharts are the same price and which one people prefer between the two ?
    Thanks
    If you compare like with like and stick to the Mark 1 version of each watch, the military does tend to be in more demand and usually commands a higher price. This could be because it is a homage to probably the most desirable Submariner ever produced, who wouldn't want a milsub if money was no object.

I suspect the Red didn't sell as well when it first came out, because of people wanting the military instead and as such you see far fewer Reds for sale these days. That said, it is my favourite Steinhart and I have owned about 8 different ones. Clearly a homage to the DRSD, it is perfect.

The military does look a little over the top with the sword hands and the extra large plots, but I suppose that is the point. I think more people on here will own a military than a Red and as with everything else it is all down to choice. Both are great watches and you won't lose money on either - just stay away from the later charcoal grey variations as they are not in the same league at all.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 30th March 2017 at 17:27.

Master
    Hi Lordloz , glad you mentioned the flat lugs as Ive read different opinions about them ! You said that you don't have big wrists but it was ok on your wrist . I only have 7" wrists so quite skinny and am concerned if the flat lugs would be ok on me ? Any opinions ?
    Thanks .
    Mike
    I have 6.75" wrists and I have no problems with any of the steinhart sub variations (I have 5!) :-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Apprentice

thanks

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions guys .
    Mike

Apprentice
    Thanks for your thoughts and opinions guys .
    Mike

Apprentice

Steinhardt OVM Verses Precista 82 Royal Navy Divers ?

Don't know if its permitted to ask the question on this forum , but what are people's opinion regarding quality and build between a Steinhart OVM and a Precista 82 Royal Navy Divers watches. ???
    With thanks
    Mike

It is difficult to pick one over the other. I have never owned a PRS-82, but I have two Precista divers and they are superb build quality. If I was to stick my neck out, I would say the Precista is slightly better.

Not much in it, so it is down to ascetics - which appeals to your eye the most.

Master
    While I love steinhart, the 40mm of the precista is more appealing. I think the build quality will be rather close.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I own both a Steinhart OVM mk1 and the Precista PRS-82 and it is a close call, they are both good quality and they are hard to choose.
    I have a 7 3/4" inch wrist so the larger size of the Steinhart is not an issue for me.

Above is a picture with the PRS-82 on a Phoenix NATO and the OVM on a Steveo canvas strap.

For me the Steinhart just edges out my favourite Timefactors watch.

Both very good well made watches that put a lot of the bigger named brands to shame, iv got a few of each make try the steinhart if you don't like the fit sell it on, homage milsubs and military divers miro brand watches are great you get a well made tool watch with the look for pennies compared to ££££££ for the vintage originals

Thanks .
    Mike
    Sorry Mike only just seen your reply. It's fine on mine honestly - I wouldn't say I'm skinny nor overweight (well a little bit right now - work in progress) but whether my wrists are flat perhaps or not mine are also exactly 7"

So you should be fine.... worst case those usually resell very well if you really don't like it...
    or a nice swap I think is maybe a Brady sailcloth strap that may make it sit better possibly,and that I'm occasionally tempted with but prefer a bracelet so leave it on that.
    Cheers, Lorenz
    Last edited by lordloz; 3rd April 2017 at 10:27.

If it helps.... pics on my 7" wrist:

SMP, curved lugs:

Steinhart, flat lugs:

Never caused me a problem.

Used to own Mk1 and Mk2. Between the two obviously Mk1 is a lot darker. Never had experienced with Mk2.5 but many people said it's nowhere near the Mk1.

Journeyman
    Bought a OVM for a friends birthday.
    Watch looks very decently build including the bracelet.
    Great watch overal and the dial reacts really nicely to the sun