closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stirling Engine Kit Build

Stirling Engine Kit Build

I've documented this elsewhere, but thought that it might be of interest to some members here.

Rev. Robert Stirling patented the idea of an engine that converted a temperature difference into motion in 1816. A Stirling engine utilises a clever linked mechanism that uses a flywheel driven displacer to circulate the air inside a main chamber, which drives a piston attached to the same flywheel. As long as there is sufficient temperature difference between either end of the chamber, the engine will run. There are detailed explanations of the physics here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

It's fairly easy to construct a Stirling engine from scratch, but Kontax produce some nicely engineered kits. This model can be run from the heat of a hand providing that the surrounding air temperature is at least 5°c cooler. For added interest I chose a model that featured the additional Ross yoke mechanism which looks great in action and allows both the piston and displacer to be connected on the same side end of the axle.

The kit arrives very nicely packaged.

All parts present and correct. I'll wear my snooker referee gloves when handling the shiny bits.

The instructions are very good with excellent attention to detail. Using a mug is suggested to aid with the assembly, I believe that most types will suffice, but an Adnams mug is probably best.

Even the packaging has been designed to aid with the construction.

Here's that nifty Ross yoke.

Now ready to run, it's quite a straightforward process taking less than an hour even at my slow pace.
    But now I need a nice heat source.

Now there's something that gets nice and warm as the valves heat up. A Bush DAC.90 Radio Receiver.

It works rather well!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I've documented this elsewhere, but thought that it might be of interest to some members here.

Rev. Robert Stirling patented the idea of an engine that converted a temperature difference into motion in 1816. A Stirling engine utilises a clever linked mechanism that uses a flywheel driven displacer to circulate the air inside a main chamber, which drives a piston attached to the same flywheel. As long as there is sufficient temperature difference between either end of the chamber, the engine will run. There are detailed explanations of the physics here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

It's fairly easy to construct a Stirling engine from scratch, but Kontax produce some nicely engineered kits. This model can be run from the heat of a hand providing that the surrounding air temperature is at least 5°c cooler. For added interest I chose a model that featured the additional Ross yoke mechanism which looks great in action and allows both the piston and displacer to be connected on the same side end of the axle.

The kit arrives very nicely packaged.

All parts present and correct. I'll wear my snooker referee gloves when handling the shiny bits.

The instructions are very good with excellent attention to detail. Using a mug is suggested to aid with the assembly, I believe that most types will suffice, but an Adnams mug is probably best.

Even the packaging has been designed to aid with the construction.

Here's that nifty Ross yoke.

Now ready to run, it's quite a straightforward process taking less than an hour even at my slow pace.
    But now I need a nice heat source.

Now there's something that gets nice and warm as the valves heat up. A Bush DAC.90 Radio Receiver.

It works rather well!
    very good.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Very nice. Do you think it could power a watch winder? Something about appeals to me.

I really like that! It looks beautifully made too.

Very nice write up :) The kits aren't cheap but they do look very well machined :)

Thanks for the comments. The Kontax kits really are very well designed and engineered. The low temperature models cannot do much more than demonstrate the principle, however there are high temperature versions available (needing a significant heat source) that could drive other equipment.

That's wonderful- thanks for the write up, pics and video. I was going to ask how you found such a fantastic radio station until I saw your location :)

Quite ingenious and the kit looks very well made indeed.

Sterling work there!

Master
    I have one on top of my wood burner love watching it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hn16FHElqE

At some point I want to build one of these :)

http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/ste...ngineindex.htm

I have absolutely no need for one these of these, and I don't have anytime spare to build one. Yet like so many things on this forum I find myself googling the site and reaching for my credit card!

I have seen some Sterling engines at Boehm and Sterling, these looked even more complicated than the ones from Kontax. They would look great on the desk, but don't look like they will provide much in build time which is half the fun of getting models. Instead I have opted for a wooden model of a 20 min timer from Ugears.

Really interesting thread and a lovely looking thing.

I feel as though I need one, though I'm not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    I have absolutely no need for one these of these, and I don't have anytime spare to build one. Yet like so many things on this forum I find myself googling the site and reaching for my credit card!
    They are completely pointless but they are a good talking point :)

I bought this from Amazon -works a treat on a mug of hot water !!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Happens to me regularly.

One of these would be great to help demonstrate how physics works. Very tempted...

Craftsman
    Anyone have any idea of their efficiency?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Happens to me regularly.

One of these would be great to help demonstrate how physics works. Very tempted...
    You just got to learn how the Physics works :) I got a Physics degree and all I can remember is the stirling engine demonstrates one of the laws if Thermodynamics (I'm guessing the 1st?)

Craftsman
    I've now got 3 Stirling models of differing designs- completely useless but good fun. That kit does look really lovely (mine are cheap imitations off eBay).

Just as a by the by, the low temperature models can also be powered by cold as well as heat- it is a bit freaky to set one on an ice pack and see it work- somehow goes against what you would naturally expect but the physics makes sense. If you get your palms hot by rubbing them together (steady on at the back there) you can just about get a low temperature version going by body heat.

The range from my Amazon link, include a Stirling engine using a small flame from a spirits burner. The stirling engine is connected to a small electrical generator which in turn lights several LED's. This shows how gutless the Stirling engine is compared to a small steam engine for example :)

They do have practical applications and are used in some solar power plants, electricity generators in submerged submarines (with an advantage of being very quiet) and combined heat and power systems.

I rather fancy the unique inverted solar powered Stirling engine from Kontax. http://www.kontax.co.uk/d.asp?product=KS90S_KIT

The physics involved is technically known as PFM I believe.

GIF by Wikipedia user YK Times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The physics involved is technically known as PFM I believe.
    Pretty Flipping Magical?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Pretty Flipping Magical?
    That's a very close approximation.

Craftsman
    You lot understand this much better than I do.

A question.

If you powered a Stirling engine with a small electric motor to turn the flywheel would it act as a refrigerator? (I'm not suggesting this is a practical idea BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by castle View Post
    You lot understand this much better than I do.

A question.

If you powered a Stirling engine with a small electric motor to turn the flywheel would it act as a refrigerator? (I'm not suggesting this is a practical idea BTW)
    Yes
    It would then be a Stirling Cryocooler, used to cool below -30to-40 where traditional refigerant systems no longer work, used in cryogenics
    Can also be used to heat your house
    Last edited by Brighty; 23rd March 2017 at 16:50.