closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 43mm Rolex Sea-dweller

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam100 View Post
    You say it's perfect - to you - that's the problem, it wasn't to me. Whilst I liked the classic look, when I tried it on a few years ago I felt it was just too small. I wanted something larger and so I'm looking forward to seeing one in the flesh and although my wrists aren't the largest if I like it then that will do me.

each to their own and all that
    Yeah, for sure, all a matter of taste. I wore a DSSD for years, felt it suited my size and build but that skinny bracelet eventually ruined it for me. When the SD4k came out, tried it, it was subtle, classic and perfect - in my eyes.

Anyway, see how we get on with the SD50th!

Journeyman
    I love it and really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

I am not sure what kind of insecurity and inadequacy drives those whinging about the size. There are still plenty of ceramic and nonceric SDs in market for whom the size is overpowering. There are some who prefer the larger size. To them it does not look ridiculous or this edition is not pointless. It is not because they are bling kings or show offs but just because they have different preferences. Not a hard concept to grapple.
    I would not call the 40mm version puny or dismiss those who prefer the smaller versions as sissies or wimps. 40mm happens to be their preference and what suits them the best. More power to them. There is a market for this version as well. And,that is what Rolex is catering to. It is not some evil or underhand marketing gimmick.

They could have done it in more than one size, say a 40mm and the 43mm. They have done that with other watches. I totally agree with the logic of each to his own and all that. Big watches are very popular at present and these will sell like hot cakes. The size didn't really bother me, after all it is only 1mm bigger than a Speedmaster. The cyclops was the issue for me, but again that is just a personal preference not a gripe.

I think the announcement ultimately helped me, because once I was able to dismiss it as not for me I concentrated on trying to find a decent 5 digit Submariner whilst you still can.

I'd still love to buy one of these but genuinely couldn't get an AD to wait list me until today, and was promptly told the list was now "incredibly long". I said that was unsurprising given I was made to wait six weeks to get on it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    That size is pure comedy! That's gonna look ridiculous on most wrists, and I'm worried about mine too. Keep the SD4k for a wee while....
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Yeah, for sure, all a matter of taste. I wore a DSSD for years, felt it suited my size and build but that skinny bracelet eventually ruined it for me. When the SD4k came out, tried it, it was subtle, classic and perfect - in my eyes.

Anyway, see how we get on with the SD50th!
    So,it took you years to realize the bracelet was skinny ??

Smile

Agreed on size, and I'm waiting for the endless comedy posts on TRF of peope who buy on hype, not what suits them. I used to go onto the AP forum just to see the far Eastern contributors posting skinny wrists and mahoosive AP's!

My SD4K will stay with me to the end, it's perfect - to me - in every single way! :)

Personally I think this 43mm 50th Seadweller is going to look a bit comical on a) anyone with less than a 7" wrist and/or b) with the overall frame/arm/sizing to carry it off properly. I know a guy with a DSSD who must weigh 8 stone (when wet..) and his wrist just drags along the ground wearing his DSSD in comedy fashion!

The SD4000 suits far more people as an elegant solution I feel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    So,it took you years to realize the bracelet was skinny ??
    Not really, I persevered as I love the design and it ties in with my Engineering background and career... Eventually the SD4k became reality and it was over for the DSSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Personally I think this 43mm 50th Seadweller is going to look a bit comical on a) anyone with less than a 7" wrist and/or b) with the overall frame/arm/sizing to carry it off properly. I know a guy with a DSSD who must weigh 8 stone (when wet..) and his wrist just drags along the ground wearing his DSSD in comedy fashion!

The SD4000 suits far more people as an elegant solution I feel.
    Very few here would weigh less than 8 stones. Sub 7 wrists probably more common but not the norm, I would think.
    Ofcourse, it goes without saying that a hefty 43mm watch may not be a good fit in this case.
    However,there are no hard and fast rules. A smaller watch on a big wrist looks more ridiculous IMO than a bigger one on a smaller wrist.

Master
    However,there are no hard and fast rules. A smaller watch on a big wrist looks more ridiculous IMO than a bigger one on a smaller wrist.
    I humbly disagree. Partly because for me, a smaller watch on a large wrist tends to have an "i don't care, I like it" vibe, wheras a watch that is clearly too big for the wrist gives off a "it doesn't fit, but look at it!" vibe. Putely an opinion of course, as is yours. No right or wrong. Wear what you like.

Sorry, which look is more ridiculous again?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

One wrist states I have a watch. The other states look at my watch!

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    One wrist states I have a watch. The other states look at my watch!
    Seeking attention via oversized jewellery is totally the manlinest thing ever. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

What is ridiculous?
    Comparison between an ugly watch and a nice watch:-)

Master
    Good to see some 'real' pictures of the watch
    I do like the red text touch on the dial
    horses for courses I guess, too big for me and the cyclops is a big no no for me
    very happy I have my SD4000C

Doesn't do anything for me, I'll stick with my 16600. Though I might add and SD4K at some point.

I like it. Like the bigger lugs and bracelet proportionality to the case than the dssd. Like the red writing. Like the lugs. Not so keen on the cyclops but I'll forgive that.

Master
    Great design overall but fail's with the cyclops, not that it's going to affect sales too much. I have 7" wrists just and I had an Avenger Seawolf which can't be too far off this and it was a lump and uncomfortable in the end, and it was in titanium. Steel at this size is going to be very heavy as we all know and at a glance, it just looks too much like the Subc.

Enjoy it if you're picking one up
    Last edited by stix; 29th April 2017 at 03:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    The pics in this thread juxtaposing it with the older SD make it seem bigger than it is, I think. If you look at the shot in #37 of this thread -
    Since I know what the older SD looks like - as most people here do.............. I would say that there is no "seem" about it - the photo provides a very useful reference.

I think it looks well,the only killer for me is the is the cyclops,but some will love that.I dont think it will be a massive seller ,it will peak and then settle,too bigger price jump from the sub for most non watch people who just want a rolex sports.I dont quite get the size so close to the DSSD? 41/42mm yes ,would make more sense and appeal to more people. Would like to see one when they land though

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Croftrock View Post
    I'd still love to buy one of these but genuinely couldn't get an AD to wait list me until today, and was promptly told the list was now "incredibly long". I said that was unsurprising given I was made to wait six weeks to get on it!

That's just absurd! What is it with UK Rolex stores? Some of them are so snotty with customers I find it hard to believe. I lived in Hong Kong for 20+ years and had no such snottiness - walk in, place an order/go on their list - simples. I gave up trying to deal with any London Rolex dealers ages ago, now take my business to a south coast dealer. Far more polite and actually willing to help. I am on the list for a new one but I am concerned it will be too big for me (I have a mint SD4kc which is right for my size) so, if it doesn't sit nicely on my wrist I will take a pass. I think there will be plenty available in the next 12 months, from what I hear, so you may not have to wait that long.
    Last edited by tom waring; 29th April 2017 at 09:43.

Journeyman
    The side on wrist shot makes it look huge!

Quote Originally Posted by Regular View Post
    The side on wrist shot makes it look huge!
    That's cos it is. It'll look entirely appropriate on any wrist over a diving suit though :-)

Master
    The dial Looks to be the same size but the case and bezel is supersized much like when the ceramic versions came out.
    I imagine people were saying the ceramics looked too big when they first came out too.
    I've placed a 5513 insert over my LVC, this will probably be the same scale with the new SD43.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    That's cos it is. It'll look entirely appropriate on any wrist over a diving suit though :-)
    I have a large and flat wrist, so I'm looking forward to trying this one on. I haven't seen any measurements yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same case size as the 216570 Explorer, which suits me fine:

I'll be taking a caliper to the shop when it arrives. :)

I can't help but summize that it's just following the trend of larger case sizes, give the people what you think they want, even if this isn't the case.

What I find puzzling is why the cyclops?

Did I read somewhere on here that the SD was initially intended to have one?

I'm biased, as the 16600 works fine for me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    What I find puzzling is why the cyclops.
    Cause of Rolex marketing dept.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    exactly!

It is the edge of the cyclops which is a stress-raiser. But I have no doubt that Rolex have tested the new cyclops 'glass' well in excess of the rated depth.
    Again, this is a complete myth. The magnifier is bonded to the crystal, so even if there was any measurable deflection of the sapphire under pressure, there still wouldn't be a stress riser.

The failing-Cyclops story is fabricated; it simply doesn't work that way.
    Last edited by Belligero; 29th April 2017 at 11:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post

I'm biased, as the 16600 works fine for me
    Timeless classic and getting harder to get hold of. I tried one on this week and it was lovely, but opted for the 14060m instead.

Craftsman
    Just contacted my local AD, wait for it-4 year waiting list!!!! Waiting for it is what most will be doing. Im sure shopping around may reduce wait time but still four years is craziness.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchaddict View Post
    Just contacted my local AD, wait for it-4 year waiting list!!!! Waiting for it is what most will be doing. Im sure shopping around may reduce wait time but still four years is craziness.
    Mental wait for a new watch - wonder if that is the same at most ADs

How can they quote a 4 year wait if they don't even know what allocation they will receive per month/bi monthly etc? They could get 5 pieces a month in which case I would imagine there would be no list..

I imagine things are a bit different in UK/Europe vs US.
    I think ADs are playing with the customers by claiming these wait times.
    The demand may be there now but who knows how many Rolex is releasing and how long the demand will sustain.
    So far, I have been able to get every single Rolex release including (BLNR,D-Blue,Ceramic Daytona) without putting myself on list. For my AD, I am just a loyal returning customer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    How can they quote a 4 year wait if they don't even know what allocation they will receive per month/bi monthly etc? They could get 5 pieces a month in which case I would imagine there would be no list..
    Exactly! The average Rolex AD is very average IMHO!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I imagine things are a bit different in UK/Europe vs US.
    I think ADs are playing with the customers by claiming these wait times.
    The demand may be there now but who knows how many Rolex is releasing and how long the demand will sustain.
    So far, I have been able to get every single Rolex release including (BLNR,D-Blue,Ceramic Daytona) without putting myself on list. For my AD, I am just a loyal returning customer.
    I think once they have been released a while will be the real indicator of availablity as initial release most times has a flurry of interest. Plus I think buying the BLNR, D-Blue and ceramic made you very popular with your AD. Fair play to you, I love the first two of the three you mentioned. Someone else on here said a similar thing regards good relationship with your AD and sometimes its who you know rather than waiting on a list.

Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    That's just absurd! What is it with UK Rolex stores? Some of them are so snotty with customers I find it hard to believe. I lived in Hong Kong for 20+ years and had no such snottiness - walk in, place an order/go on their list - simples. I gave up trying to deal with any London Rolex dealers ages ago, now take my business to a south coast dealer. Far more polite and actually willing to help. I am on the list for a new one but I am concerned it will be too big for me (I have a mint SD4kc which is right for my size) so, if it doesn't sit nicely on my wrist I will take a pass. I think there will be plenty available in the next 12 months, from what I hear, so you may not have to wait that long.
    I hope so. And I think I may join you in buying from outside London. I had one dealer tell me his list was closed the day of Basel as it had had 50-60 people on it who were his prime customers of over 20 years. This was two hours after the watch was announced. Two other dealers told me their list was not open yet and I should phone towards the end of April. I did this about a week ago, and then four days ago and was told both times it still wasn't open. Then I phoned yesterday when they finally said it was open but was now "very long". And this was after other people here had been given a call. I can't pretend the whole experience hasn't made me feel rather small.

Journeyman
    New sports rolex = instant profit / break even it you want to flip it even after a year or so. If you have money sat around at today's comical interest rates people probably think why not?

New sports rolex = instant profit / break even it you want to flip it even after a year or so. If you have money sat around at today's comical interest rates people probably think why not?
    Really???

Really???
    I assume for new release models

Craftsman
    Maybe (i) if its a steel watch, (ii) it's a popular model, and (iii) you're selling it privately. Even then you're probably reliant on a price hike to be on the safe side.

Go try your theory with a Yatchmaster, do report back.

That wasn't the experience with the SD4K

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Go try your theory with a Yatchmaster, do report back.
    LOL Done that, got the T shirt, took the financial hit!

Craftsman
    Anyone with too much money & not enough sense can now pick one up for 16k or best offer on eBay

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    Anyone with too much money & not enough sense can now pick one up for 16k or best offer on eBay
    At best tomorrow, they're not on sale till 1st May so someone must be on a promise....

Master
    I'm sure Watchfinders will be able to fulfill desires this week. But all this 'my AD said' is really just a first world issue. Why not ring a few Euro dealers and see what they say? Paris/Munich/Oslo even Inverness might have a different story and if you are that bothered a flight on top of the watch price isn't that much.
    Some people might be disappointed tomorrow. Others I know won't.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    even Inverness
    Inverness has an AD ?

Master
    Once upon a time Inverness did... I wouldn't hold out hope for Oslo as they have waiting lists to almost match UK ones.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    That wasn't the experience with the SD4K

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They only became popular when they were discontinued.