closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 43mm Rolex Sea-dweller

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    A nice bauble on the Rolex stand celebrating the SeaDweller's anniversary :

Haywood
    What are your thoughts on the new model Haywood? Winner or no? And what of the value of the previous model in the foreseeable?

Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    Can someone enlighten me please? Is the cyclops a separate lens which is fitted to a flat crystal glass (if so how? Can it be removed?) or is it somehow ground and is in fact part of the glass?

Again, if it is a separate bubble that's fitted to the glass then it would be easy to leave it off at production and - presto! .... a non-cyclops version for the purists as a 'no cost option' at ordering! Simples!
    Separate lens, glued on.

Easily removable with a chisel and a careful tap, but there's a snag: the 6-digit references have antireflective coating on the crystal underneath the magnifier.

image credit: uhrenforum.de

Journeyman
    Interesting to see how the trends towards "bigger" watches is being more of a reality.
    As a big time Panerai nerd i see the differences being gradually removed in terms of size.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Separate lens, glued on.

Easily removable with a chisel and a careful tap, but there's a snag: the 6-digit references have antireflective coating on the crystal underneath the magnifier.

image credit: uhrenforum.de
    Thanks! I am learning a lot on TZ-UK!

Given this, I'd imagine it would be VERY easy to offer this watch with no cyclops fitted as an option. I am writing a letter to Rolex this lunchtime asking if this could be possible. Will let you all know if they ever reply.

Given this, I'd imagine it would be VERY easy to offer this watch with no cyclops fitted as an option. I am writing a letter to Rolex this lunchtime asking if this could be possible. Will let you all know if they ever reply.
    My pleasure.

I should also tell you that there's precisely zero chance of the factory-Rolex-modification thing happening, though.

Where are you writing to ? I too wish they'd offer the choice but I know it is extremely unlikely ever to happen.

My pleasure.

I should also tell you that there's precisely zero chance of the factory-Rolex-modification thing happening, though.
    This.

Don't bother Tom. Have a sandwich instead and save the cost of a postage stamp mate......

I am sure I have seen someone here with a 16610LV where Rolex UK fitted a crystal without a Cyclops.

Have put myself on the list for this one.

Hopefully won't be too long a wait.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Just thinking aloud really, I wonder what the rational is behind Rolex introducing new models such as this, it can't be to stimulate sales, they can sell as many 'sports' models as they can supply of their current range anyway from what I can see.
    The old SD was pretty clearly a failure. Now they have a watch for everyone who cried that the sub was too small and the dssd was too impractical. It doesn't really seem mysterious.

Master
    It'd be interesting to see a poll on the new one. With a thread like this, when the majority are negative, you suspect that many who like it keep their heads down.

Craftsman
    My pleasure.

LOL! I know, but it's only a stamp! Seriously, though, in this day of social media they must be aware that there's a purist element who think adding a Cyclops is heresy! Imagine the PR value if they did actually listen and offer customers a choice, for this model only, to skip the Cyclops. It would be a zero cost win-win.

If this was Omega, they would be doing a limited edition 'S-D Heritage' run and charging us a grand premium for leaving the Cyclops off!

Master

Another option is to remove the cyclops then have the AR coating re-done on the crystal. Not for the purists but something I would seriously consider with this watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Where are you writing to ? I too wish they'd offer the choice but I know it is extremely unlikely ever to happen.
    Just to Rolex Geneva. It's clearly a rather futile exercise, but I'm kind of curious to see what their response is.....

We should start a petition (LOL!) and get everyone who has ordered one/wants one without the Cyclops to ask their AD to inquire if it would be possible to have it left off! Maybe if enough people bothered (which they won't) then Rolex would act. I've discussed with my AD and they have promised to raise it with Rolex next month (when there's some sort of corporate meeting apparently). The AD agrees, with the anti-Cyclops comments on social media they think Rolex will at least be interested in the topic.

Master
    Love it. We'll have the 'Rolex SDc-r-non-c'...

Journeyman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72J3GKysAS4

This video gives a better idea of what it's like. I think it's a great addition.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY77 View Post

This video gives a better idea of what it's like. I think it's a great addition.
    From reading elsewhere the guy on the video has 6.75" wrists. So it looks like it might follow the sea dweller tradition of wearing a bit smaller than the measurements suggest it should.

Craftsman

I like it!!

I like it too and particularly with a better proportioned bracelet. I love my Deepsea Blue so may have to wait a while for this one but it looks to be almost everything that I want in terms of size, bracelet, etc. Not fussed on the cyclops either way so it isn't a deal breaker for me.

Chris

Craftsman
    With the madness of Rolex and that red line of text, what will be the after market price on these ? >£10k or not

Easily. If it's almost £8500 RRP it will easily be £10k + at Watchfinder for about 12-24 months at least. Really depends on how strongly they stick to the sell on restriction as hinted at earlier in the thread.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I like it and don't have any problem with the cyclops.
    I think they have the size about right. One of the things that bugs me ever so slightly about the 16600 is that it's just a smidgeon too small at 40mm.

From conversations I've had today with my AD, it looks like it's going to be very popular, though probably not to the degree that the Daytona was this time last year and delivery to begin around August/September.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I am sure I have seen someone here with a 16610LV where Rolex UK fitted a crystal without a Cyclops.
    It's easily removed. Well, I say 'easily'... AD will do it.

Something about the proportions look wrong, now that the bezel is so thick, the hands and the indices look too thin and insubstantial.

I wonder why Rolex have never explored placing a cyclops on the dial, under the crystal like AP?

^
    Because then you have to make the whole watch thicker yet by jacking up the entire crystal to allow the internal magnifier to clear the hands. The external solution is far superior, plus it's somewhat of a Rolex signature.

Just to Rolex Geneva. It's clearly a rather futile exercise, but I'm kind of curious to see what their response is.....

We should start a petition (LOL!) and get everyone who has ordered one/wants one without the Cyclops to ask their AD to inquire if it would be possible to have it left off! Maybe if enough people bothered (which they won't) then Rolex would act. I've discussed with my AD and they have promised to raise it with Rolex next month (when there's some sort of corporate meeting apparently). The AD agrees, with the anti-Cyclops comments on social media they think Rolex will at least be interested in the topic.
    LOL!

Not for me looks a bit unbalanced and the cyclops on a SD just doesn't work IMO, the only way i'd get rid of my SD4000 would be for vintage

Master
    ^
    Because then you have to make the whole watch thicker yet by jacking up the entire crystal to allow the internal magnifier to clear the hands. The external solution is far superior, plus it's somewhat of a Rolex signature.
    Or alternatively just make the date window bigger :)
    But you are right - it is a Rolex signature

^
    The snag with that is that the numbers on the date wheel can't get any bigger than they already are, as you need to fit thirty-one of them around the perimeter.

F. Moser uses a clever and deceptively simple-looking large aperture, but it comes at the expense of increased thickness and mechanical complexity because of its two overlapping discs.

For me, Rolex's robust, reliable, instantaneously-changing and set-at-any-time-forward-or-backward big-date system is still the best on the market, which is why I've changed my mind and now dig the Cyclops. :)

Craftsman
    Does anyone know when these will actually be released for sale? I imagine the waiting list will be a year or two?

Journeyman
    The Cyclops is part of Rolex's DNA. It was meant to.be on the Sea-Dweller since the beginning but was removed due to a technical reason, it would cause the crystal to crack under pressure back in the days. Today this is no longer a problem and the lens won't be affected.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
    The Cyclops is part of Rolex's DNA. It was meant to.be on the Sea-Dweller since the beginning but was removed due to a technical reason, it would cause the crystal to crack under pressure back in the days. Today this is no longer a problem and the lens won't be affected.
    Have you got a link to this information?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Have you got a link to this information?
    Source ABTW :
    http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-se...-126600-watch/

"A lesser-known fact is that the original Rolex Sea-Dweller of 1967 did not have a cyclops because when Rolex added it to the plexiglass front, it caused structural weaknesses in it and ultimately caused it to shatter before reaching the desired depth rating – and so the cyclops was omitted. The Rolex Sea-Dweller all until 2017 has maintained its cyclops-free looks, making yet another reason for it to be a Submariner alternative (as, clearly, not everyone is a fan of the cyclops-look). Now, in this regard, the Rolex Sea-Dweller is more in line with all other collections, with only the Deepsea now standing out from the rest, as it still does not have a cyclops over its date aperture."

^
    Obviously pressure cracks back-in-the-days things. It's just simple broscience, dude. ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    With the madness of Rolex and that red line of text, what will be the after market price on these ? >£10k or not
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Easily. If it's almost £8500 RRP it will easily be £10k + at Watchfinder for about 12-24 months at least. Really depends on how strongly they stick to the sell on restriction as hinted at earlier in the thread.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Chronext are already offering it at £14,270

https://www.chronext.co.uk/rolex/sea.../126600/C57961

Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    Chronext are already offering it at £14,270

https://www.chronext.co.uk/rolex/sea.../126600/C57961
    Delivery 6-12 months!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    sorry, should have specified, do you have a Rolex link ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Delivery 6-12 months!
    Crikey!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Delivery 6-12 months!
    How can they when the warranty card will be held by the AD for eternity?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    It's easily removed. Well, I say 'easily'... AD will do it.
    So remove the cyclops and later decide to sell the watch. I can guarantee you will be cutting down the amount of potential buyers and may find your watch is worth 'less' than the model with the cyclops

This to me, because of the cyclops lens, will just look like another Submariner.

Unless you can get close enough to the wearer and see the red writing and or HV. That imo is what most people will think.

Why oh why did they have to fit the cyclops??

For me, that was the main feature which differentiated between the two watches.

And has already been mentioned and I get that technology has come a long way. But I also remember reading that Rolex couldn't use the cyclops lens due to the greater pressures.

Its a shame that Rolex have changed the DNA on the SD.

Master
    This video really does show the SD at its best IMO.

Often photos will flatten out the way a watch looks but I like the proportions of the new model a lot.

Craftsman
    While in general I am everything than a fan of cyclops and for me personally a ND Sub is perfect in terms of proportions, I can't help but like this SD.
    For me it just works with the new proportions and even like the cyclops on it! :O Most shocking for me.

Master
    That Sky Dweller looks fantastic - a watch I didn't like in pm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    So remove the cyclops and later decide to sell the watch. I can guarantee you will be cutting down the amount of potential buyers and may find your watch is worth 'less' than the model with the cyclops
    Eh? It just glues back on...

Craftsman
    Think the new SD looks great in the video (IMHO). Doesn't seem anywhere near as large on the wrist as the DSSD, and a nice update with the red font. Surprising how many Sub owners, etc. were so quick to say the new size ruined it/it's terrible looking when others are now saying on the wrist it looks very similar to those models. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Surprising how many Sub owners, etc. were so quick to say the new size ruined it/it's terrible looking when others are now saying on the wrist it looks very similar to those models. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion!
    Not surprised, the new SD will kill the Submariner with date., IMHO. So Sub owners are in for a ride.
    Last edited by VicLeChic; 24th March 2017 at 10:48.

Journeyman
    Not surprised, the new SD will kill the Submariner with date., IMHO. So Sub owners are in for a ride.
    I don't think so !

Master
    I don't think so !
    They'll be stand-alone items and I think history will show that Sub values will just keep increasing. The intro of the new Submariner didn't harm values of the old one - quite the opposite so now all Subs are heading north in value. There might be a plateau but once the new SD gets in the shops I suspect there will be an increased interest in the whole line.