closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 2017 43mm Rolex Sea-dweller

Have to say that whilst I like it as a massive red sub homage, a seadweller shouldn't have a cyclops IMO. A major reason a lot of us became seadweller rather than sub owners is because of the useful date function, but with the lack of cyclops.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Have to say that whilst I like it as a massive red sub homage, a seadweller shouldn't have a cyclops IMO. A major reason a lot of us became seadweller rather than sub owners is because of the useful date function, but with the lack of cyclops.
    And that's where I am too - the cyclops extinguishes the Seadwellers identity.

I've mellowed much where the cyclops is concerned and say good luck to those who genuinely need one to see the date, but it seems that the decision to stick one on the new SD is based purely around the perceived need of owners to have a date bubble to identify their watch as a ROLLIE.

It could very possibly serve to cheapen the original Seadwellers in the eyes of the non- "WIS" general public.

I know what rolex is and that business is business, but the cyclops on this model saddens me.

What cheers me up, however, is that my SD4000 is the one without one. 😃

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    And that's where I am too - the cyclops extinguishes the Seadwellers identity.
    I don't know. If you like big Rolex dive watches you now have a choice of two: one with a cyclops, one without. I prefer the one without, but you can see why Rolex would want to cater for the other half of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I don't know. If you like big Rolex dive watches you now have a choice of two: one with a cyclops, one without. I prefer the one without, but you can see why Rolex would want to cater for the other half of the market.
    Oh, l see why - very clearly. And it's for far more than half of the market - rolex are, after all, a big money-making machine.

My point is - until the new SD - you could buy a 40mm rolex dive watch without cyclops. Now you can't.

The identity of the Seadweller has been lost somewhat - now it's just a bloated submariner
    and, given the overwhelming popularity of the "maxi case" submariner on this very forum (yes, that dripping noise is my sarcasm...😂), lm not sure its the best of ideas.

To those who like it though - enjoy...

Master

2017 43mm Rolex Sea-dweller

My point is - until the new SD - you could buy a 40mm rolex dive watch without cyclops. Now you can't.
    The Sub Non-Date would beg to differ ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    The Sub Non-Date would beg to differ ;-)
    Ha! I'm fairly sure you know what l meant.
    Had a ND - lovely watch, obviously no cyclops ... but no date - SD solved all that.

Master
    Ha! I'm fairly sure you know what l meant.
    Had a ND - lovely watch, obviously no cyclops ... but no date - SD solved all that.
    Yeah, just teasing!

It maybe just me ,but I dont think this is going to be the massive seller that people are saying.Yes, restricted supply at the moment and the need for the few to have the latest will keep it desirable for a while, but only to us WIS,i still think joe public will cain the subND and sub date,the price jump is too big for the 43SD for most,unless you really understand what the SD is about the other subs will do.

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    It maybe just me ,but I dont think this is going to be the massive seller that people are saying.Yes, restricted supply at the moment and the need for the few to have the latest will keep it desirable for a while, but only to us WIS,i still think joe public will cain the subND and sub date,the price jump is too big for the 43SD for most,unless you really understand what the SD is about the other subs will do.
    I think you are right, I picked my one up on Saturday my AD had had 4 phone calls that morning from people enquiring if they had any stock.
    They didn't think they would get another this year, so restricted supply starts again.

Watch shop in Brighton Square had two SD43 BNIB and fully stickered in the window today.

Tried one on. Same feel of quality as the SD4000, a bit too big for me perhaps but not totally clown sized.

£13.5k was the window price by the way.

Watch shop in Brighton Square had two SD43 BNIB and fully stickered in the window today.

Tried one on. Same feel of quality as the SD4000, a bit too big for me perhaps but not totally clown sized.

They are 'nice-ish'. ............ but not £13.5k nice-ish.

Master

Hahahahaha Rolex, what a joke! The employees of these ads are making a killing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    They are 'nice-ish'. ............ but not £13.5k nice-ish.
    I tend to agree, but there are certainly people who are happy to pay that sort of cash for one.

Master
    I tend to agree, but there are certainly people who are happy to pay that sort of cash for one.
    Yeah, clowns with more money than sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Just had an email.

It's not for sale, so to speak. Highest offer over £14500 gets it.

"The Rolex Sea-Dweller 126600 is available for immediate delivery and we are listening to offers over £14500

Please let me know if you would like to make an offer and I’ll speak with the Managing Director and respond accordingly."

I mailed them the other day and now they want offers over £15000

eBay sales are concluding at around 12k.I watched one that had 45 Bids and sold for £11,700.

Craftsman
    This is getting ridiculous, 15k for an 8k watch. I know im in the percentage that would only pay retail, but those that fuel the craze have more money than sense. I thought the swiss watch industry was suffering??? Obviously not.

I don't think it's fair to insult people by suggesting they have more money than sense. Some people can and will pay for something they want and cost is not an issue. If they can afford to, good on them. Being able to 'jump the queue' costs money but it doesn't make a buyer stupid. Not everyone is a watch forum fanatic and the sheer fact that they have enough disposable income (mostly/not always) shows they probably have plenty of sense.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I don't think it's fair to insult people by suggesting they have more money than sense. Some people can and will pay for something they want and cost is not an issue. If they can afford to, good on them. Being able to 'jump the queue' costs money but it doesn't make a buyer stupid. Not everyone is a watch forum fanatic and the sheer fact that they have enough disposable income (mostly/not always) shows they probably have plenty of sense.
    Yep. It's the old priority pass through airport security analogy.
    Gonna cost but gets it done. Your choice.
    All very well for the folk in the queue to moan but you've finished coffee while they're still removing their belts.

It does annoy me that people who pay a premium are dismissed as stupid, more money than sense etc. Imagine you are a Premier League player on £200k a week and you want a Ceramic Daytona, your choices are go on the list and wait seven years or just lift another £6k out the back pocket and you can have it today. It's all relative, if you know what the premium is and have the money to cover it, that is an informed decision, not stupidity.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It does annoy me that people who pay a premium are dismissed as stupid, more money than sense etc. Imagine you are a Premier League player on £200k a week and you want a Ceramic Daytona, your choices are go on the list and wait seven years or just lift another £6k out the back pocket and you can have it today. It's all relative, if you know what the premium is and have the money to cover it, that is an informed decision, not stupidity.
    To reinforce the point, a friend of mine is good friends with a very high profile premier league player who can normally get anything at retail (or less). He knew I was looking for one to celebrate a significant birthday, but it was the first time he'd been told that he couldn't have something without paying well over list

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Completely agree. By the above reasoning you *could* call anyone buying a bottle of water from a petrol station stupid and chant more money than sense etc vs supermarket pricing when as a percentile increase they'll be (loosely) in line with what people pay for a Daytona and SeaDweller comparative to MSRP. £3 for two Lucozades on 'special' vs £1 each in Tesco last week iirc. It really is all relative.

Journeyman
    I got a call yesterday from the Rolex boutique. This is the second call in two months since I put my name down back in March. First call was last month from an AD where I bought mine. Not interested in buying a second piece and profiteering so told the salesperson to pass it on to the next one in the list. Don't pay over retail, be patient. I have the feeling the craze won't last.