closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 43mm Rolex Sea-dweller

Blog Entries

2017 43mm Rolex Sea-dweller

Have seriously been thinking about this and a possible next purchase if all I've read is true, I sold my deep sea as I felt it was just two thick and top heavy, I bought a subc to replace it but couldn't get on with the cyclops so now own a NDc, however the new SD is 43mm which I would much prefer these dimensions as I do find the ND a tad small, but it's got a cyclops!!! Just ruined to be would be the perfect watch, so, if I bought one and removed the cyclops would that ruin the resale value!!! People's thoughts would be appreciated + general thoughts on the watch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    Have seriously been thinking about this and a possible next purchase if all I've read is true, I sold my deep sea as I felt it was just two thick and top heavy, I bought a subc to replace it but couldn't get on with the cyclops so now own a NDc, however the new SD is 43mm which I would much prefer these dimensions as I do find the ND a tad small, but it's got a cyclops!!! Just ruined to be would be the perfect watch, so, if I bought one and removed the cyclops would that ruin the resale value!!! People's thoughts would be appreciated + general thoughts on the watch
    Buying a unicorn and then removing its horn 😜

The new SD isn't definite at this point, just enthusiasts predicting what is likely to appear. There is another thread on this and your question about removing a cyclops was covered.

Wait until you hear an announcement from Rolex in the next few weeks before doing anything.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    He he he PT Barnum was right

Just wait a week and all will be revealed. I really hope this 43mm with cyclops prediction is wrong.

Craftsman
    If it is correct - i will not be buying it - but actually don't believe Rolex would make such a departure from current form

Can't see the cyclops happening

Wouldn't it be like Rolex got the other 2 wrong if they went 43mm

Craftsman
    Is the deep sea being discontinued and and they are enlarging the sd to fill the gap and differentiate from the sub?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is just pure speculation at the moment. Would not surprise me if we saw an anniversary submariner maybe with or without a date, but I doubt they would machine a new case. Maybe a red sub sans date, but again only guessing like everyone else.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that none of the SeaDwellers had a cyclops as it weakened the crystals strength at serious depths. This is why they were never considered for the range. So I can't see rolex slapping one on any new SD.....or did I just imagine this lol

Master
    I can't think why gluing on a cyclops would make the crystal less strong?

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    No idea! It was just one of those things that I thought I'd read somewhere......quite possibly completely incorrect lol.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    He he he PT Barnum was right
    H Wilsdorf was the PT Barnum of the watch world. His legacy is impressive.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrlx View Post
    No idea! It was just one of those things that I thought I'd read somewhere......quite possibly completely incorrect lol.
    Thought it was more a case that the cyclops would just pop off under the pressure (as opposed to weakening the crystal) as its only glued/stuck on

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Thought it was more a case that the cyclops would just pop off under the pressure (as opposed to weakening the crystal) as its only glued/stuck on
    Something like that.....I was near enough 😂

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    His legacy is impressive.
    it certainly is

Journeyman
    This looks like a raised crystal with a cyclops:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRu9bu5hat5/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    This looks like a raised crystal with a cyclops:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRu9bu5hat5/

Sadly so... But, as an optimist, lm going to cross my fingers and hope not.

2017 43mm Rolex Sea-dweller

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Glueing a cyclops on would create a larger surface area in that region of the crystal and hence a greater force over the area under the cyclops. This could potentially take the force beyond the limits of the crystal (unless the whole crystal was made thicker).

I can't see that extra force pushing down on the cyclops would make it pop off (acting against the greater force).

Just my thoughts based on basic physics and engineering. I could well be wrong, it was a long time ago!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Sadly so... But, as an optimist, lm going to cross my fingers and hope not.
    Quite a few of the instagram comments are suggesting this fits in with the case shape of the EXP-2. That would be interesting given it only got updated about 5 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Glueing a cyclops on would create a larger surface area in that region of the crystal and hence a greater force over the area under the cyclops. This could potentially take the force beyond the limits of the crystal (unless the whole crystal was made thicker).

I can't see that extra force pushing down on the cyclops would make it pop off (acting against the greater force).

Just my thoughts based on basic physics and engineering. I could well be wrong, it was a long time ago!
    It's because they are glued on and not part of the crystal - so under pressure the cyclops would become dislodged - possibly better adhesives today, or they can just mill one into the design of the crystal (?)
    It's just a matter of time...

Could be a one piece crystal including the cyclops.

Banned
    Getting my name on every list going for everything.

Banned
    43mm would be too close to the DSSD size, hope this speculation is wrong, will ruin the SEADWELLER as we know it

Haha it's got a cyclops!

I was almost excited when I first saw the pics on Hodinkee but after realising it will be 43mm its just too big for the average man and that's me.

The 40mm maxi case in the submariner already sits a little too big for many of us but increasing it to 43mm and the extra thickness means to will be just like a Deepsea after a couple of weeks on a diet.

I'd love one at 40/41mm but I just know that it wouldn't be for me.

I'll stick with this one and my BLNR then for a perfect mix of new and old.

Agreed. I love a flash of red in my watches but at an RRP likely to be over £8000 Id just be fearful that it would sit in its box looking nice.

IMHO Better off 'investing' that money in something which will be enjoyed on the wrist.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

£8350 I read somewhere. That's a big ask for a big watch.

Journeyman
    I might need to try this on however I fear it will be too big for my wrist and I will not be a fan of the cyclops.

No thanks, I've zero interest in any modern sports Rolex.

Master
    Anybody know how thick this will be in comparison to the DSSD?

No, but it looks pretty chunky

https://www.rolex.com/watches/baselw...6600-0001.html

I like the red writing.

I know the cyclops is practical, but it's just not "SD".

On balance I think it's a no thanks from me, especially as there will doubtless be a waiting list / immediate premium for early flippers.
    Last edited by andy tims; 22nd March 2017 at 15:09.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I'm doing it.

Have been craving a ceramic sports model for a while and was genuinely considering the DSSD and think this will be the one I go in for. I like the fact that it's so unloved ha.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

Yes, depth of the rehaut makes me think that its not going to wear very differently to my DSSD. Yet, the thickness of the DSSD was always justified by its depth rating.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    £8350 I read somewhere. That's a big ask for a big watch.
    yup, and their website is updated with that price https://www.rolex.com/watches/sea-dw...6600-0001.html

I'm going to hold fire on my opinion, till I see it in the flesh, I'm down for the first one my AD gets in.... I may vomit, or It might end up being better looking in the flesh.

chances are I'll feel the same way as I did about the Deep-Sea. The only difference this watch is better proportioned than the Deepsea with more sculpted look and proportional bracelet, and hasn't got the silly ring lock rehaut.

Depending on the design 43mm might look fractionally larger than the Tudor BB Black, and i didn't think that looked bad on the wrist when I owned one. And that was a rather thick watch too.

The cyclops though..... that i'm not too keen on.

So its true. I thought it was just pure fantasy but that predictor must definitely have some inside knowledge to have guessed the cyclops, case size and red writing right! Apart from the red, an unexpected combination for a sea dweller and an interesting move by Rolex. So is there a coke GMT as well?

Will a prominently large, significantly more expensive diver with red writing and a cyclops become the obvious choice for a certain section of Rolex's customer base?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by u35rm8 View Post
    So its true. I thought it was just pure fantasy but that predictor must definitely have some inside knowledge to have guessed the cyclops, case size and red writing right! Apart from the red, an unexpected combination for a sea dweller and an interesting move by Rolex. So is there a coke GMT as well?
    There was never going to be a GMT Coke in steel. Not when the Pepsi is WG.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    yup, and their website is updated with that price https://www.rolex.com/watches/sea-dw...6600-0001.html

I'm down for the first one my AD gets in....
    You're not. The SDc4k list has been carried over above you.

Same had the Coke GMT been released, the BLNR guys came first - though that's a moot point now.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    There was never going to be a GMT Coke in steel. Not when the Pepsi is WG.
    Well there's a steel skydweller now, so I'm more confident of a SS Coke gmt in he future...

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post

Same had the Coke GMT been released, the BLNR guys came first - though that's a moot point now.
    Says who?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post

Not according to one of my ADs, either on this watch or indeed any other. Their practice is new model reference = new list.

Craftsman
    Does anyone think that it might be closer to 42mm, just like the Daytona is listed is 40mm but more like 39mm. The SD4K although 40mm does look smaller than the sub when wearing them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post
    Does anyone think that it might be closer to 42mm, just like the Daytona is listed is 40mm but more like 39mm. The SD4K although 40mm does look smaller than the sub when wearing them.
    I think it will look like a very big 43mm. It will be fat and wide, not like slimmer profile 42mm watches.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    I think it will look like a very big 43mm. It will be fat and wide, not like slimmer profile 42mm watches.
    You mean huge like a 43mm Nautilus ;) or big like a 43mm (quoted on launch, and later increased in the marketing blurb to 44mm) Deep Sea?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    https://m.rolex.com/watches/baselwor...6600-0001.html

It's an homage to the Steinhart Ocean One lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Not according to one of my ADs, either on this watch or indeed any other. Their practice is new model reference = new list.
    Endo and I use the same AD and they were clear to me about the fact that there's no 'new' list, the old one carries on.