closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pre-loaded travel cash card - what's it called ??

Pre-loaded travel cash card - what's it called ??

Guys, I'm having brain fade in remembering that name of a credit/debit type card you can load up with credit before you travel save ar$in' on arrival with anything other.
    It's for EU travel in this instance.

Cheers

Craftsman
    I use Revolut - found it the best/most flexible but its better to use as plastic than for cash withdrawals abroad

https://revolut.com/

Get a Supercard by Travelex.
    Simply links to your bank account and dead simple to use

Banned
    Was persuaded to get one about 10 years ago never again, either the card machines were broke or the bloody card failed, had to raid my Spainish bank account which I was not happy about.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Perfect for paying for stuff outside the UK but does charge 2.99% for cash withdrawals.

Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    I use Revolut - found it the best/most flexible but its better to use as plastic than for cash withdrawals abroad

https://revolut.com/

Best choice for me.

Journeyman
    +1 for Revolut.... it just works and the exchange rates are much better than a bureau de change

Prepaid travel card?

Master
    Try searching for "currency cards". I have both Caxton & FairFX & find they work well & the rate is almost better than changing cash at a booth. It's obviously much safer than carrying around loads of cash & you charge them up in £ using your bank debit card via the web or an app. You get the local currency so you can use the same card to get € in Germany or Riyals in Qatar.

https://www.fairfx.com

https://caxtonfx.com

Some advocate a Halifax credit card but for if you take out cash you start paying interest immediately.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James_Poole View Post
    +1 for Revolut.... it just works and the exchange rates are much better than a bureau de change
    Agreed. Used it all over the world and has never let me down. Get a spare too!!

Craftsman
    Another vote for Revolut. Used in Europe and SE Asia with no problems. Much better exchange rates than anywhere else. I actually made a few quid when trying it out in that the exchange rate had changed slightly in my favour when exchanging back into sterling.
    I've also used it for doing a bank transfer into an Italian account when paying for accommodation- no charge compared to £20 from my bank.

Try Monzo. Free to apply, you get a mastercard that you can pre-load then use abroad with no fees.

Revolut for me too. I use it for when I'm traveling to the UK (Northern Ireland) and US.

revolut is great as you can set a limit and top up only what you think you will spend - however in reality do you want to ar$e about having to top up when you already spend it 2 days into your holiday?

then I would recommend the Curve card - better reviews than the other supercards around

www.imaginecurve.com/?r=AmcEn

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Try Monzo. Free to apply, you get a mastercard that you can pre-load then use abroad with no fees.
    Another vote for Monzo

Thought I'd add my own experience to this thread after trying out both Revolut and briefly Monzo.
    Revolut was fantastic. Great rates and the app was very easy to use. Any purchases made immediately showed up on the app, most of the time, before the waiter had returned with the card. Exchanges between currencies was very helpful after we flew back via Dublin and I didn't have any Euros, I actually exchanged dollars to euros in the queue on my phone and paid no problems!
    I'd preloaded both cards, prior to leaving for the States, but after first using Revolut, then receiving and notification from Monzo that their cards were being declined, I stuck with Revolut.
    The only downside with the Revolution​ card would be the limit on cash withdrawals £200/month free, anything above is subject to a 2 or 3 percent charge iirc.
    Overall, a very good option with excellent live rates.

Master
    My youngest is just back from Bali and took a Monzo- she said it was fab, topped it up while she was out there, no issues at all, ideal on the way back too as she had a 10 hour layover in Brunei (us $) so no issues with muli currancy

Master
    I have a Halifax Clarity card which I find excellent.

Rob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Try searching for "currency cards". I have both Caxton & FairFX & find they work well & the rate is almost better than changing cash at a booth. It's obviously much safer than carrying around loads of cash & you charge them up in £ using your bank debit card via the web or an app. You get the local currency so you can use the same card to get € in Germany or Riyals in Qatar.

https://www.fairfx.com

https://caxtonfx.com

Some advocate a Halifax credit card but for if you take out cash you start paying interest immediately.
    +1 for Caxton. Good rates, free cash withdrawals outside the U.K. and can now cope with preloads of multiple currencies. This means you can preload say € and chf in the same card.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post

Looks like its no more

https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/supercard

I have applied for a Monza today as travelling more to and fro to Ireland

It can still also be used in U.K. So a mini bank account in itself really

Master
    The post office do one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    I have a Halifax Clarity card which I find excellent.

Rob
    +1 here, had one for years and especially useful if you have multiple destinations (we did Singapore, Australia, Maylasia over Christmas/New Year with just the one card) .

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    This popped in to my inbox, info on Revolut which might be helpful: http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/07...exchange-fees/

Blog Entries
    Just sat in a ferry on the way back from France…. I used Monzo throughout the trip with no issues…. And will be using it again in Greece in a couple of weeks…. I just topped up via Apple Pay as and when I needed it…. Couldn't be simpler

Craftsman
    Another +1 for Monzo from me

Eldest duaghter called me on a Wednesday afternnon to say she needed a prepaid card to use whilst interrailing (she was leaving on the Sunday) - after a quick google, it seemed that Monzo was the onlly one we could get in time. It duly turned uo on the Friday and she's been using it without issue in at least 6 different countries for the last 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Just sat in a ferry on the way back from France…. I used Monzo throughout the trip with no issues…. And will be using it again in Greece in a couple of weeks…. I just topped up via Apple Pay as and when I needed it…. Couldn't be simpler

Craftsman

Racing FX

Racing FX for me!

Not many people know about it but it is a multi currency account and card - holds 9 currencies on one account just like a bank - but you can make and receive payments in over 20. Quite a cool story but it was born out of the racing industry for the guys who moved horses around the world and bought and sold at auctions etc.

I have a debit card and it draws pound for pound euro for euro dollar for dollar. So personally i send Swiss francs in and then fx to pound and to euro and then use it quite happily for shopping in france etc. 3 euros in lyon for a coffee and i tap my card and it takes exactly 3 euros off.

www.racingfx.co.uk

Just got my monza
    Delighted do far
    Changed my pin at the cashpoint
    I'm. Ow ready to go
    So easy it's crazy
    Like a mini euro bank account really

Master
    Didn't realise that Revolut had a £200/month cash withdrawal limit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Didn't realise that Revolut had a £200/month cash withdrawal limit.
    FYI - Racing FX has better rates and with the card GBP 1000 limit per day for personal and GBP 3000 if you have a corporate! It's not mass market though so doesn't look as fancy/slick as the others but actually delivers a better service overall.
    Last edited by Highroller; 10th August 2017 at 08:08.