closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wifi and ISP expert advice please

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Like when we did our renovation and only put four cat 5 down to the AV node, who'd need more than that? Who has a switch there now
    btw... if 100meg ethernet is fast enough (and it is!) then you can run TWO ethernet connections down a normal 4pair cat5 lan cable. Each lan connection only needs 2 pairs. If you use proper termination wall sockets at each end of the lan cable then it's easy to put two RJ45 sockets off the same cable.

What is your base line figures?

By that I mean wired connection directly to router and wireless sat within 1m of router?
    These should give your best case figures.
    It's a good question.

Wireless in front of the router:

Download - 32.85
    Upload - 6.09
    Ping latency - 22.63

Wired into the router:

Download - 33.40
    Upload - 6.05
    Ping latency - 24.13

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    It's a good question.

Wireless in front of the router:

Download - 32.85
    Upload - 6.09
    Ping latency - 22.63

Wired into the router:

Download - 33.40
    Upload - 6.05
    Ping latency - 24.13

Interesting your wifi performance in the study is almost the same as wired so I suspect the router is not the cause of your troubles. You get no better performance via Sonos which is what I expected the Sonos solution is really only helpful if you find a spot where your wifi is very poor but Sonos is working via its mesh.
    As you see here a mesh without dedicated back bone has a significant performance impact.

As you are moving then I guess you don't need to bother chasing down zen re the latency / drop outs but if you had wanted to then another router would be needed to prove your existing one was not the cause.

Good luck with Virgin!

Oh I just checked my speeds.
    iPad Pro @3M to my router with Zen fttc
    Down 55Mbps
    Up 18Mbps
    Ping 8ms

Yup. That was with a wifi extender plugged in though - not sure if that actually helps. I think the problem is not the speed but rather the stability as it drops out.

I've tried multiple routers so I don't think it's that. I reckon it's the copper wiring from the house!

Interesting your wifi performance in the study is almost the same as wired so I suspect the router is not the cause of your troubles. You get no better performance via Sonos which is what I expected the Sonos solution is really only helpful if you find a spot where your wifi is very poor but Sonos is working via its mesh.
    As you see here a mesh without dedicated back bone has a significant performance impact.

As you are moving then I guess you don't need to bother chasing down zen re the latency / drop outs but if you had wanted to then another router would be needed to prove your existing one was not the cause.

Good luck with Virgin!

Oh I just checked my speeds.
    iPad Pro @3M to my router with Zen fttc
    Down 55Mbps
    Up 18Mbps
    Ping 8ms

Craftsman
    Yup. That was with a wifi extender plugged in though - not sure if that actually helps. I think the problem is not the speed but rather the stability as it drops out.

I've tried multiple routers so I don't think it's that. I reckon it's the copper wiring from the house!
    Get rid of the WiFi extender, and try again. The way the extenders work cuts your wireless speed in half, and they can cause all sorts of unpredictable behavior. If you need additional coverage, connecting a second WAP (hardwired or via HomePlug), or using one of the modern wireless mesh solutions are far better options.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    Get rid of the WiFi extender, and try again. The way the extenders work cuts your wireless speed in half, and they can cause all sorts of unpredictable behavior. If you need additional coverage, connecting a second WAP (hardwired or via HomePlug), or using one of the modern wireless mesh solutions are far better options.
    Yup i did that yesterday but with no discernible difference. The problem with a powerline is I have no clearance to install one directly into the wall socket and from what I understand its effect is diminished in an extension lead. I think I will manage until the next house when I will bite the bullet and get a mesh system as I find it too irritating having two SSIDs that the powerline provides.

Master
    Yup i did that yesterday but with no discernible difference. The problem with a powerline is I have no clearance to install one directly into the wall socket and from what I understand its effect is diminished in an extension lead. I think I will manage until the next house when I will bite the bullet and get a mesh system as I find it too irritating having two SSIDs that the powerline provides.
    Okay... you CAN use an extension for the powerline device BUT just make sure there's nothing else plugged into the extension. Though, as I've said before, you really need to use 'piggy' homeplug devices and power everything through the piggy. Also it make no difference if you use the same SSID or different. Once your client device (phone etc..) has 'learnt' the new SSID then it will no longer bother you about using it. Also having the same SSID or different makes no difference to the inclination of the client to roam from one AP to another. That's dependant upon the quality/speed of the wifi the client is picking up; if it's poor then it will try to find another AP to 'roam' to and it doesn't matter if that other AP has the same SSID or not. tbh we normally advise people to use a different SSID because at least then you can check which darn AP the client is connected to. If you have the same SSID all round then it's a lot harder trying to diagnose the wifi performance 'cause you don't (easily) know which AP you're connected to.

Yup I get the piggy pass through thing but unfortunately the nature of the shelving installed is such that there is not enough clearance to do that. Will be easier when I move as I will arrange things better.

What I have found previously is that mobile devices keep trying to connect to the weaker SSID which is further away instead of the strong nearer one!