closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC

SOTC

The past nine months have seen a massive change in my approach to every aspect of my life. There was no defining moment or traumatic event, just a short period of reflection resulting in a different outlook on everything. The result? I'm happier, less-stressed, calmer, more mindful, have a better perspective on priorities and am much more fulfilled.

Now enough of that malarkey.

One of the points of perspective was around my interest in watches. Yes it's still very much an interest but I'm no longer chasing the mythical 'grail' or wishing I could have that perfect Sea-Dweller that is, for now, unattainable. One day maybe but meanwhile, whatever.

However the watch-force is still strong in me and I wanted one or maybe two watches that could be worn every day and for every occasion. I have a vintage Seiko 7000-8000 that is a family heirloom so I don't want to wear that all the time.

I'm a dive watch-man at heart. I also like chronographs. I love swapping straps around. I like a nice bracelet on a watch.

So fast forward several months and I'm here today with three watches that are, for me, absolute belters. They tick all of my boxes and I genuinely have been having those moments in the mornings when I take as long to decide which watch to wear as I do getting dressed. The answer seems to be strict rotation. I feel the watches are happier with that too as neither have an inferiority complex ;)

I give you the Bulova Moon Watch, Seiko 7000-8000 and the Seiko SRP773. In the pics the Bulova is sporting an outstanding Pav-made Chronexcel leather in black with black stitch, the vintage Seiko has a Condor black fine grain leather and the Seiko wears a Strap Code super-oyster.

I hope you enjoy the below-average pics.

Cheers.

Untitled by David Douglas

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 15th March 2017 at 16:41.

A very nice pairing, and as much as any sensible person could need. That's one of the things I like about this hobby - you can have a thoughtful and interesting collection at lots of different price points. Converseley, you can blow a fortune on some crappy baubles if you don't have a genuine interest.

Blog Entries
    Interesting observation, and I am very much on your way of thinking.

I now have 2 Tudors, a modified Seiko (daily beater) have just ordered one of Eddie's - and will be bit by bit offloading the rest.
    I have come to the conclusion, wearing a piece worth some 6-8000, didn't give more 'satisfaction' than the 'inferior' models, if anything, I was more concerned dinging it.....

A sense of 'tranquility' has arrived

Now if I could only take the same approach to my cars, my WIFE would have that same sense.....

Cheers, Peter

Did you sell the blue dial Seiko 7000-8000? :'(

Very nice, but how long will the contentment last. You do have previous when it comes to flipping.

Coming from...

It is a great pair. I've often thought a Sub and Moonwatch are all the watches I'd ever need. And whilst yours are the lower cost alternatives both offer the features I like, wrapped in attractive designs that are both unique to their manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Did you sell the blue dial Seiko 7000-8000? :'(
    No it's safely tucked away in the box but I hardly wear it. I'll never sell it as it was my wife's fathers.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    No it's safely tucked away in the box but I hardly wear it. I'll never sell it as it was my wife's fathers.
    Phew! I thought I remembered it having a history with you, glad it didn't disappear in a desire to declutter.

The past nine months have seen a massive change in my approach to every aspect of my life. There was no defining moment or traumatic event, just a short period of reflection resulting in a different outlook on everything. The result? I'm happier, less-stressed, calmer, more mindful, have a better perspective on priorities and am much more fulfilled.
    Good on you. No reason to live like a monk - it depends on the reasons behind the decision to have something. If it's only to impress Joe Bloggs, or because your neighbour has one and you "need" to out-do him, then more reflection is required.

I think we could all do with reflection more often - if the impact it has had on your life is replicated more widely, and people become more like that, then it's a good thing (in my view).

Anyway, enough of that malarkey! ;)

Nice collection - if it suits you and you enjoy it, that's what counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Very nice, but how long will the contentment last. You do have previous when it comes to flipping.

Coming from...
    Ha ha, who knows!

At least now if I flip it'll be for a very good reason rather than chasing just anything on a whim. I'm all about the calmness these days ;)

An excellent pairing David

I'm always interested to read threads like this - they generally prompt me to reflect upon things

Enjoy them for as long as you feel like keeping them and then if your interests wander enjoy the search for the next things. Well, that's what I do - I find it a welcome diversion from various things in life. I never take it that seriously.

Journeyman
    I can relate to what you are saying, fully! Great pair, and enjoy them in full health!

Two cracking watches there. Great idea to go for the blue Turtle so that it isn't too samey alongside the Bulova.

There's not much one can fault with either watch. The Seiko will no doubt be bombproof and run forever, and the timekeeping of the Moonwatch is a fantastic feature. The Turtle looks good on the bracelet, will suit rubber too when you fancy a change, and the Bulova is great on leather and I'm sure on a NATO or perlon strap too.

That being said, I bet you'll have flipped one or both by the summer. :)

^^^^Only time will tell re the flipping Sean ;)

You're comments about both watches are all correct. I have a Seiko DAL1BP for the Turtle which, for me, is always the correct rubber for a turtle case.

I just wish I could find a decent navy blue, plain nato at 22mm for the Seiko.

Good to hear you've got your head together Dave and found a couple of watches that anyone could be happy with.

Without the need to flip or chase the next grail, I've found life becomes a whole lot easier.

As we get older "simplicity" appears to be most valued. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    As we get older "simplicity" appears to be most valued. Enjoy!
    Yes, I'm discovering that ;)

With the Seiko 7000-8000 and these two you have all the watches anyone really needs.

I've done the Rolex and Omega thing and come out the other side. I now think there is more pleasure to be had in honest watches like this which come without the worry or guilt associated with much more expensive watches.

Personally I wouldn't be able to live with what looks like the chapter ring misalignment at 3, 6, and 9 (although that might be camera angles)... but I've returned Rolexes for equally disappointing QC issues, so not a major concern at Seiko prices. Being more accepting of imperfection is probably the next step after accepting that Rolex isn't the be all and end all of a collection.

Did you use the works long service voucher or is that still a consideration too?

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    With the Seiko 7000-8000 and these two you have all the watches anyone really needs.

I've done the Rolex and Omega thing and come out the other side. I now think there is more pleasure to be had in honest watches like this which come without the worry or guilt associated with much more expensive watches.

Personally I wouldn't be able to live with what looks like the chapter ring misalignment at 3, 6, and 9 (although that might be camera angles)... but I've returned Rolexes for equally disappointing QC issues, so not a major concern at Seiko prices. Being more accepting of imperfection is probably the next step after accepting that Rolex isn't the be all and end all of a collection.

Did you use the works long service voucher or is that still a consideration too?
    Thanks.

The misalignment is very, very slight and made worse by the camera angle. It's at the limit of what I can live with. The long-service award is still available but that'll go on something for all of us to enjoy in the summer.

Nice pair. I went through a similar phase around a year ago and scaled back to just 3 watches, although that has somehow crept back up to 11 or 12 now(all be it mainly cheapy vintage pieces). I must admit though I've been looking in the watch box the past week thinking of scaling it back again to just my favourites, I enjoyed the whole 3 watches thing(not sure 2 would be enough for me with my style preference where nothing really fits all occasions).

Think you've done well with your choice of two there, almost everything covered really(outside of the obvious dress style watch for such occasions). Well done.

Same here, no insurance to worry about as the basic house contents is enough to cover, no expensive servicing costs, no massive depreciation to worry about and you can leave your watch box out and enjoy looking at your watches rather than having them all tucked up snugly in a safe out of sight. Postage insurance isn't an issue either as RMSD covers everything.

There is a lot of enjoyment to be had messing around with watches in the £300.00 to £500.00 and under bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    ....outside of the obvious dress style watch for such occasions. Well done.
    Thanks.

I have a third watch that I've referred to in this thread that fits that bill. It's a family heirloom that is hardly worn but when I do choose it I tend to wear it for a full working week as it's a stunner.

This is it, a Seiko 7000-8000:

I think I'll update my original post.

Am I right that the 7000-8000 is a 'modern' size of about 37mm - 38mm?

Is this your 'dress' watch for want of a better phrase?

Very nice.

Am I right that the 7000-8000 is a 'modern' size of about 37mm - 38mm?

Is this your 'dress' watch for want of a better phrase?
    I don't have too many dressy occasions but yes, I'd wear it then. It's more like 36mm and wears as such. I suppose that was modern 40 years ago.

I'm always impressed by considered watch collecting, at any price point and extra points for the use of the word 'malarkey'.
    Good choices and reasons any WIS would appreciate.
    I hope your personal calm continues

Thanks for all the positive comments folks. Here's the last shot of the day, promise ;)

My Watch Box by David Douglas

Oh by the way, I set the Bulova 22 days ago and I've just checked it and it's running at +/- zero. Nothing. Nada variance. Pretty impressive at any price-point!

Really nice watches and great pics, I always wanted the Bulova but my tiny wrists couldnt handle it, the same reason I let my turtle go

Master
    A great trio you have there David. I would like to think I could eventually end up with a well considered small collection which covers all bases at only moderate cost.

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    A great trio you have there David. I would like to think I could eventually end up with a well considered small collection which covers all bases at only moderate cost.
    Thanks. It's the way to go!

Your comment about cost has prompted me to add up what my three have cost me. I've spent on:

- The Bulova brand new
    - Pav strap
    - Two Timefactors natos

- The Turtle
    - Strap Code bracelet

- Repair of the 7000-8000 as I got it from my FIL as a non-runner

Total outlay is £668. I think that's proper value for money.

Blog Entries
    Nice collection.

A very versatile and good looking threesome. The accuracy of the Bulova is amazing.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks. It's the way to go!

Your comment about cost has prompted me to add up what my three have cost me. I've spent on:

- The Bulova brand new
    - Pav strap
    - Two Timefactors natos

- The Turtle
    - Strap Code bracelet

- Repair of the 7000-8000 as I got it from my FIL as a non-runner

Total outlay is £668. I think that's proper value for money.
    That is definitely value for money. Lovely collection of watches which cover everything you could possibly want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Nice 3 watch combo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Unusually for me I think I prefer it on the rubber now it's nicely rounded:

SRP773 on Rubber by David Douglas

Yep. That style always looks at home on a rubber strap.

Ah Sean you're killing me with your proper one

Long since gone, unfortunately. Dug that one out from the archives.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Long since gone, unfortunately. Dug that one out from the archives.
    Shame. Mine have all gone too and I've had some absolute beauties

The only thing I'd change about my turtle is......the colour. The blue is really nice but it's just not black.

I think it looks best on the NATO

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I think it looks best on the NATO
    Thanks, me too. I just wish I could find a better quality nato like Eddie's. Eddie's lack of 22mm is a frustrating at times and he'd sell shed loads of them.

Thanks, me too. I just wish I could find a better quality nato like Eddie's. Eddie's lack of 22mm is a frustrating at times and he'd sell shed loads of them.
    I agree - they are certainly the best ones Ive tried

Master
    Dave, try crown and buckle premium Nato they're superb, only issue is limited colour range.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Dave, try crown and buckle premium Nato they're superb, only issue is limited colour range.
    Thanks Barry will do. Not seen you around for a while, you OK?

Master
    Thanks Barry will do. Not seen you around for a while, you OK?
    Yeah fine mate good to be back.
    Love the turtle with the blue dial, a classic! ;)

That being said, I bet you'll have flipped one or both by the summer. :)
    Told ya so! :)

Told ya so! :)
    You did. It's the blue, it's just not, you know, black.